Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

New GTR vs my LS2 C6

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2010, 12:18 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New GTR vs my LS2 C6

I'm usually just a lurker on here but I just signed up to post this race as I thought it was worthy. Last friday I was returning from the waterfront with some buddies. I was in my C6 (stock except for being lowered and catback exhaust - 6 speed) friend was riding shotgun, buddy behind me in 350z, and another buddy behind him in 05 Lotus Elise.

As we exit the freeway, I see HIDs coming up behind the Lotus. Couldn't figure out what is was because it was now dark out. The car weaves through my friends cars and comes up aggressively next to me. Oh ****, silver GTR.

I put it in 2nd at 45ish letting him know I want to play. He (50 ish looking guy with no passenger is more than willing, paper tags; probably wanting to test out his new baby) My buddy shouts out the countdown (have the targa top off and were in the left lane so GTR can easily hear) I pull ahead instantly a car or so and when I hit 3rd at about 77mph he starts creeping back next to me then 4th gear it's all over and he pulls like 2 cars easy.

We raced like 4 or 5 times. My buddy was trying to keep up in the 350z but got left back. The final run the GTR dude wanted to go from like 10mph so we slowed down and put it in first. (I have the z51 gearing which is the same as the c5 z06 1st and 2nd so it pulls suprisingly well down low if I hook up)

We hit it the same time, his car just kind of squats and launches past me no problem before I hit 2nd. Damn. We chat for a minute while cruising next to each other and he says he kept starting in 3rd or bogging 3rd or something to that effect which would explain why I shot ahead.

Gave him the thumbs up and went on our way. Just 2 hours earlier I was considering what to do next with my c6. I have been getting bored and feel I need to make a choice. Next spring i'm either going to sell mine and buy a gen3 Viper (8.3l 510hp/525tq 122 traps) c6 z06 (7l 505hp/500tq 125 traps) or save a bunch of money and do headers/big cam/tune on mine and make like 460rwhp.

Any opinions on which direction I should go in?
Old 08-01-2010, 12:26 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah I do: dont bother saving a bunch of money or living with a big cam. Just swap on a set of L92 heads and a mid level cam and drive it for 100,000 miles trouble free. 450-480rwhp easy for around $1500-$2500 (cam and everything else needed included, price depending on port work). Figure another $1200-$1400 to have shop install it for you.

Go with a ported intake manifold for sure, but ported heads are not necessary. Read this epic thread on the conversion:
http://www.ls1gto.com/forums/showthread.php?t=286447
Old 08-01-2010, 12:44 PM
TECH Resident

Get the viper or C6 ZO6.

Well thats what i would do.

The more cost efficient thing to do would be to spray or boost your current car.
Old 08-01-2010, 01:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Do a mild cam and head work to your car with a good tune.
Old 08-01-2010, 01:06 PM
Staging Lane

Dont know about that fellas: nitrous is always easy and relatively cheap, but not always available and has to be turned on first.

Supercharging to hit his goal of 550rwhp is rediculously expensive way to accomplish the goal. Spend $6-7k just for 100rwhp? IMO forced induction is what you do if you are after 600+rwhp.

Porting his stock heads and intake is just as expensive as buying a stock set of L92/LS3 heads & intake and throwing them on: and that L92 setup is gonna make noticeably more power.
Old 08-01-2010, 01:24 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by KevinZ51C6
I'm usually just a lurker on here but I just signed up to post this race as I thought it was worthy. Last friday I was returning from the waterfront with some buddies. I was in my C6 (stock except for being lowered and catback exhaust - 6 speed) friend was riding shotgun, buddy behind me in 350z, and another buddy behind him in 05 Lotus Elise.

As we exit the freeway, I see HIDs coming up behind the Lotus. Couldn't figure out what is was because it was now dark out. The car weaves through my friends cars and comes up aggressively next to me. Oh ****, silver GTR.

I put it in 2nd at 45ish letting him know I want to play. He (50 ish looking guy with no passenger is more than willing, paper tags; probably wanting to test out his new baby) My buddy shouts out the countdown (have the targa top off and were in the left lane so GTR can easily hear) I pull ahead instantly a car or so and when I hit 3rd at about 77mph he starts creeping back next to me then 4th gear it's all over and he pulls like 2 cars easy.

We raced like 4 or 5 times. My buddy was trying to keep up in the 350z but got left back. The final run the GTR dude wanted to go from like 10mph so we slowed down and put it in first. (I have the z51 gearing which is the same as the c5 z06 1st and 2nd so it pulls suprisingly well down low if I hook up)

We hit it the same time, his car just kind of squats and launches past me no problem before I hit 2nd. Damn. We chat for a minute while cruising next to each other and he says he kept starting in 3rd or bogging 3rd or something to that effect which would explain why I shot ahead.

Gave him the thumbs up and went on our way. Just 2 hours earlier I was considering what to do next with my c6. I have been getting bored and feel I need to make a choice. Next spring i'm either going to sell mine and buy a gen3 Viper (8.3l 510hp/525tq 122 traps) c6 z06 (7l 505hp/500tq 125 traps) or save a bunch of money and do headers/big cam/tune on mine and make like 460rwhp.

Any opinions on which direction I should go in?
Keep the motor stock and get a si-trim or novi1500 kit. Best hp/$ increase plus it keeps stock driving matters with no lumpy idle. You should be able to get 550-600rwhp which would be a ~200rwhp (60%) increase in power.
Old 08-01-2010, 01:38 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by ysb02
Keep the motor stock and get a si-trim or novi1500 kit. Best hp/$ increase plus it keeps stock driving matters with no lumpy idle. You should be able to get 550-600rwhp which would be a ~200rwhp (60%) increase in power.
It's NEVER that simple to just bolton a supercharger and make a 60% improvement. NEVER. And to get 60% gain in rwhp on a otherwise stock LS2? You are going to be in Meth or race gas territory unless your car breathes well enough to begin with.

Do the L92 heads/ mild boost friendly cam, then boost it and make 750rwhp at the same boost level as that 600rwhp you were talking about. Airflow improvements help any build out! Of course I'm kinda stuck on the L92 setup: it's what I got sitting in my garage.
Old 08-01-2010, 01:46 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Sticks n Stones
It's NEVER that simple to just bolton a supercharger and make a 60% improvement. NEVER. And to get 60% gain in rwhp on a otherwise stock LS2? You are going to be in Meth or race gas territory unless your car breathes well enough to begin with.

Do the L92 heads/ mild boost friendly cam, then boost it and make 750rwhp at the same boost level as that 600rwhp you were talking about. Airflow improvements help any build out! Of course I'm kinda stuck on the L92 setup: it's what I got sitting in my garage.
That would require a lot of modding. And thats WAY past the safety zone of a stock ls2 block lol

I am just saying that he will not hit his 55rwhp goal with the L92 setup, and FI will be almost stock driveability, possibly even better.
Old 08-01-2010, 01:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

C6Z!

/this debate

The C6Z is kind.... Race a GTR from a roll with that.
Old 08-01-2010, 01:54 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by lemons12
C6Z!

/this debate

The C6Z is kind.... Race a GTR from a roll with that.
Even better: Not buying a C6 with a LS2 in the first place. At least a cam'd, bolton LS3 can beat a stock C6 Z06.
Old 08-01-2010, 02:02 PM
Teching In

C6Z in my opinion but I'll touch on the others.

The L92 swap would proabably be the cheapest but depending on cam size and CR, usually wont make as much power as a set of TF heads and properly selected cam. However the TF heads are quite expensive so you have to decide how much extra the power increase will be worth to you. You'd need headers for either so that's a wash. Honestly you can get 600rwhp easily with a S/C and a set of headers. You wont need meth at that power level yet. Also, the S/C is much easier to remove and sell when/if you trade the car in. Price per HP and ease of turning back to stock, FI usually can't be beat. JMO
Old 08-01-2010, 02:45 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by k0bun
C6Z in my opinion but I'll touch on the others.

The L92 swap would proabably be the cheapest but depending on cam size and CR, usually wont make as much power as a set of TF heads and properly selected cam. However the TF heads are quite expensive so you have to decide how much extra the power increase will be worth to you. You'd need headers for either so that's a wash. Honestly you can get 600rwhp easily with a S/C and a set of headers. You wont need meth at that power level yet. Also, the S/C is much easier to remove and sell when/if you trade the car in. Price per HP and ease of turning back to stock, FI usually can't be beat. JMO
I agree Im at 577rwhp w/o meth with a basicly stock Ls1 and the op has alot lighter car than mine and better flowing heads. j
Old 08-01-2010, 06:28 PM
TECH Resident

Get the c6 z06 and put a mild cam in that bitch!!!!
Old 08-01-2010, 07:40 PM
On The Tree

im in the same boat. serisously thinking of picking up a C6Z... wicked car... but im 1/3 of the way done with my goat. plus i reaaaallly like having 4 seats and no car payment. gimme a few months and ill let you know how the heads and intake work out with a decent sized cam.
Old 08-01-2010, 08:31 PM
TECH Addict

Nice runs with the GTR. I remember getting walked slowly by one on the highway. We were in a bad spot for me but he had a passenger in the car and I didn't. Take his passenger out and give me a decent roll and it would have been a great race, but I don't know if I would have ended up in front. GTR's get a lot of **** talked about them but they move out, that's for sure.
Old 08-01-2010, 09:05 PM
Launching!

HMMMMMM....Stock GTR hugh....420 awhp..getting you by 2-3 cars each time..

Alright..My opinion is to get the Z06 or Viper. A C6 is nice but no matter what mods you do to it people will always seem a little under impressed when they ask if it's a Z06 and you say no... Ive been there and done that when I had a H/C corvette....

Also people are talking about an easy 460-480 rwhp on the vette with mods and cam ect..

460-480 rwhp is just the start point on the vette or gen3 viper...My viper has 476 rwhp sae on a dyno jet and I still "DONT" have headers or throttle body or cold air intake system or intake manifold ect.

Z06's are the same way..both the Z06 and gen3 Vipers are very capable of 500 rwhp with just bolt ons...

So my choice would now only be between the Z06 and the gen3 viper. Ive made this choice twice and both times I chose the Viper.

The viper has that huge 8.3 liter engine that just always barely seems like its hardly even trying...The viper is a 120-123 mph car right out of the box while the z06 is a 123-126 car right out of the box..

So initially the Z06 is faster..But the stock clutch in the Z06 glazes with only the stock 450 rwhp and the stock brakes have been known to actually start literally falling apart on track days. As well the engines have been known to go Kaboom!!!!..remember it's just a 427 CI engine that guys are trying to bolt on and vam with heads ect. 550-600 rwhp on..

In comparison the gen3 Vipers were another 10-15K over the Z06's in base price because they were never meant to be a street car and desighned for the road course ect. The brakes are fade free and world class. The stock engine and clutch and drive train is strong and problem free up to 720 rwhp ( at this point the pistons can become a PROBLEM)

So while the Z06 is faster initially the viper will come out on top in the long run...A stock 2003 Viper with just a base 8 psi paxton kit will put down 650 rwhp and 700 rwhp with just minor adjustments (smaller pulley)

As too the stock GTR..I feel very confident that a stock gen3 Viper would beat a stock GTR from a rolling start...

I raced one that had 620 awhp (200 over stock) at my 476 rwhp level (30 over stock and he was only 1.5-2.5 cars ahead after several 50-120 mph blast. Actually one race we were dead even
Old 08-01-2010, 10:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ysb02
this would be the smartest idea. the car would drive easily

there are a good number of c6's running around with centri kits on pump blowing past 550 like its nothing.

jerseys own sal in his header, cat back centri vette http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YqvPO...os=j8_XbAaAgLw
Old 08-02-2010, 08:00 AM
Launching!

Plenty of people have run 550rwhp+ on a stock LS1/LS2/LS6 using a centri SC kit. The only thing I need to run a kit on my LS6 is a clutch strong enough to hold the power. I know of several that have run their combos for tens of thousands of miles perfectly fine.

Even better: Not buying a C6 with a LS2 in the first place. At least a cam'd, bolton LS3 can beat a stock C6 Z06.
and a cam/bolton LS7 will walk a LS3. Who cares?
Old 08-02-2010, 08:36 AM
On The Tree

Put a NANO nitrous system on for now. Buy a C6 Z06 later transfer the nitrous to the Z06
Old 08-02-2010, 05:51 PM
Staging Lane

I have a basically stock LS2 with P1SC and have alot of fun with it. I am only at 7psi with 4.25" pulley, instead of a 4.63" pulley and I am putting down 505rwhp. It is very reliable and drives like stock until I put it to the floor. If you are looking for something that will run with just about anything you run into and be alot of fun to drive I would go this route. Although, I have also been eyeing the C6Z for a while now, it is just a better car all around. If I was to add a blower cam along with LT's I would be over 600 rwhp. Going FI is a very cost effective and reliable route when done right.

Quick Reply: New GTR vs my LS2 C6