Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

2002 Z28, Heads/Cam/Bolt-Ons vs 2008 Corvette **VIDEO**

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2010, 09:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 2002 Z28, Heads/Cam/Bolt-Ons vs 2008 Corvette **VIDEO**

A few of us were cruising up to grab some food last night and I see a Jet Stream Blue Corvette behind me. I can tell that it isn't a Z06, so I figure it's probably some old guy and figure he won't mess around. I kept my eye on him though just in case

All of the sudden he blows past me and then slows and gooses it a few times. There was traffic so we couldn't run, but we could see the paper tags on the back and my buddy says, "He definitely just got that thing and is looking to test it out."

He goosed it a few times next to PSM, but traffic prevented a race. My other brother was cruising in my G8 and I told him to try and see if the guy would run. He was definitely game and after a little shuffling around we got them up onto the highway with no traffic around.

My car: 2002 Z28, 6-speed, Heads/Cam/Bolt-Ons, 4.10's, one passenger

His car: 2008 Corvette (LS3), Z51, 6-speed manual, factory exhaust with the bypass valve (rated 436 instead of 430), Cold Air Intake, he didn't have a passenger, but his targa top was off. The car sounded great for factory exhaust! (appologize for the crappy picture)

We raced from about 25 mph to about 130 or 135 mph. I started in 1st gear and he said he started in second, but I guess the Z51 has shorter gearing or something.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_c0E66dtank

Afterwards we talked and it turns out I knew him back in like 2000 when we both went to the same college and helped start a car club there (that's still going today). Very cool guy, and we grabbed contact info so I'm sure there will be more racing in the future

Last edited by ScreaminRedZ; 04-27-2011 at 10:39 AM.
Old 08-08-2010, 10:08 AM
TECH Apprentice

I love C6 vettes. They are bad *** rides for sure. I'd love one some day. I'm surprised he did as good as he did! Goes to show, weight is a huge thing.
Old 08-08-2010, 10:23 AM

Yeah, it was a great looking car! I'm not really suprised at how well it performed. He could be making 390 with that cold air, in a lighter overall package.
Old 08-08-2010, 10:32 AM
9 Second Club

Man that car of yours sees alot of races,should have sprayed him and he would have wanteed to return the vette .Those ls3's are runners with simple bolt on's they make well over 400rw
Old 08-08-2010, 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by INTENESS
Man that car of yours sees alot of races,should have sprayed him and he would have wanteed to return the vette .Those ls3's are runners with simple bolt on's they make well over 400rw
Thanks, man, I try to keep the SRK section well stocked, haha!

I thought about spraying him just to destroy it, but I'd rather get a good race in. Plus, I knew I could probably find something later in the night

I know the LS3's usually make like 375 rwhp stock, but when I found out that 390+ is possible with just a cold air, and 430+ with full bolt-ons, I was quite suprised. It's getting hard for the little LS1 to compete these days.
Old 08-08-2010, 10:43 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by ScreaminRedZ
It's getting hard for the little LS1 to compete these days.
And even harder for the little 4.6!

Haha.
Old 08-08-2010, 01:21 PM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Good race. Hard to believe a heads/cam/ ls1 only pulls a car on a stock vette.
Old 08-08-2010, 01:31 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sweet video and nice kill ! WHat kind of power are you putting down with those mods? Having his roof off definitely hurts his aero a bit but you have a passenger as well. If you were in 1st with 4.10s I can't understand why he was in 2nd at all. You must have easily picked up momentum and all he could do was slow you from walking away. Did you guys do more runs?
Old 08-08-2010, 01:38 PM

In street trim the car makes 422/374 SAE corrected on a Dynojet.

We did a quick second gear pull from like 40 to maybe 80 where I gave him the jump. He got out about a car and I was pulling back, but we didn't want to get close to traffic so we backed off it.

He was spinning whenever he hit it messing around before the race, so I don't know if he figured second would be better for traction. He didn't seem to think that it changed the outcome much. I'll try to set up another run with him at some point
Old 08-08-2010, 03:02 PM
Staging Lane

Very good run and I'm surprised you only pulled a car-ish as well. Im sure without the passenger, though, you wouldve pulled another. That's damn good for a stock car, though, especially not a Z06.

A bit off topic, but SRZ, I figured I'd just say I always look forward to your threads. You post a lot, have lots of various cars involved from mild to wild, are always detailed, usually provide GOOD video, and have a brain while discussing your events. Its a nice break from the rest of the SRK section. I wish theyd take notice because your threads are how I wish all threads were.

Too bad we're so far apart, I'd like to get in the action with all you guys up in CT. I am going to DC tomorrow which is somewhat close, but I'm not taking my car...gas mileage would eat me alive.
Old 08-08-2010, 03:18 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kilgothephenom
Very good run and I'm surprised you only pulled a car-ish as well. Im sure without the passenger, though, you wouldve pulled another. That's damn good for a stock car, though, especially not a Z06.

A bit off topic, but SRZ, I figured I'd just say I always look forward to your threads. You post a lot, have lots of various cars involved from mild to wild, are always detailed, usually provide GOOD video, and have a brain while discussing your events. Its a nice break from the rest of the SRK section. I wish theyd take notice because your threads are how I wish all threads were.

Too bad we're so far apart, I'd like to get in the action with all you guys up in CT. I am going to DC tomorrow which is somewhat close, but I'm not taking my car...gas mileage would eat me alive.
Read my mind completely ! Awesome post, info and video thanks from me as wel
Old 08-08-2010, 03:57 PM
TECH Apprentice

LS3

Good kill man!
Old 08-08-2010, 06:48 PM

Thanks guys, I really appreciate it! I'm trying to get it back to some good clean racing without drama at every turn. There's always gonna be idiots, but alot of the nonsense that goes on ends up being miscommunication. Most people are just out to have some fun and beat on their cars a bit

The vette did very well, but I knew he probably would based off PSM's previous races in his Z28. He beat an auto one by a couple cars and destroyed a 6-speed one that the guy obviously couldn't drive, but another one got the jump on him and he couldn't catch it. I'd like to set up another race with him and have him put his top on and throw a passenger in his car. I'd also like to open my cutout and see if the extra 10 hp gives me a little more of an edge. It was a very fun race!

kilgothephenom, at some point in the next couple years I want to take a couple weeks off and cruise down the east coast so I can hang out with some of the guys from the site. Whenever that happens we'll have to get together! You guys need to hound PSM until he gets another car and can go with me!
Old 08-08-2010, 07:11 PM
Launching!

Those LS3's are no joke..realistic 114-117 mph cars...Very fast for only 50K brand new
Old 08-08-2010, 09:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

damn i love those LS3 vettes, too bad i dont fit in one.
Old 08-08-2010, 11:05 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by ScreaminRedZ

kilgothephenom, at some point in the next couple years I want to take a couple weeks off and cruise down the east coast so I can hang out with some of the guys from the site. Whenever that happens we'll have to get together! You guys need to hound PSM until he gets another car and can go with me!
That'd be awesome if some of ya'll came down the coast a bit. I'd definitely be down to take my car a state or two over for some good fun with some good people one day. It'd definitely make it, too, because I drive it every single day! This DR's, skinnies, 411s, 4000 stall, big cam, huge shot of N20 is my DD and only car.
Old 08-09-2010, 01:30 AM
Staging Lane

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

I'll say it again, between PSM and yourself, there's always something to look forward to in this section. Good runs, it's awesome that you actually know how to post a kill thread too instead of the usual ZOMG so i like ran this 04 camaro i think but idk and i sorta spun but mexico and i shoulda pulled like 9 cars but idk i lost what u guys think? kthxbai
Old 08-09-2010, 08:30 AM

It'd definitely make it, too, because I drive it every single day! This DR's, skinnies, 411s, 4000 stall, big cam, huge shot of N20 is my DD and only car.
That's awesome right there! I throw the skinnies on sometimes, but one time PSM and I were cruising in the Z28 and tried to play around with a turbo Saturn Sky on the highway. There was a slight curve to the right and I felt the car plowing into the left lane so I backed right out of it. I've been a bit leary about driving them on the street since then, although they are fine as long as you remember they are on there, haha. I might pick up a set of 15x6's and go with a 205 or so tire for the street because I love the Draglite look!

I might have to throw the skinnies on and open the cutout for the rematch with the GN when that goes down, though

What size shot do you hit yours with? Mine is good for 150, but I have only tried 125 a couple times. My friend and I were talking about adding a dry kit set to 75. Then I could leave my wet kit at 125 and have a 75, 125, or 200 shot available at all times on top of my all motor setup

Originally Posted by snake95
I'll say it again, between PSM and yourself, there's always something to look forward to in this section. Good runs, it's awesome that you actually know how to post a kill thread too instead of the usual ZOMG so i like ran this 04 camaro i think but idk and i sorta spun but mexico and i shoulda pulled like 9 cars but idk i lost what u guys think? kthxbai
That's ******* GOLD right there!

Thanks, I appreciate the compliments!
Old 08-09-2010, 08:47 AM
TECH Enthusiast

That'd be awesome if some of ya'll came down the coast a bit. I'd definitely be down to take my car a state or two over for some good fun with some good people one day. It'd definitely make it, too, because I drive it every single day! This DR's, skinnies, 411s, 4000 stall, big cam, huge shot of N20 is my DD and only car.
You don't have to go that far, things are picking up quite nice in this state, although about 4 hrs from you. I have only had one race since I got my car tuned but it was no contest. I will try to keep the camera in it and contribute to the SR&K section I often troll. If you ever find yourself on this end of the state, look me up.
Old 08-09-2010, 09:24 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I love those LS3 Vettes, and he had my favorite color. I thought it was funny that he wanted to mess around with the bike but I would have felt bad. I would have done it anyways, though.