Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Scared away a C5 vette

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2010, 04:56 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Scared away a C5 vette

This happened a couple of weeks ago but i haven't gotten around to posting it.

So after hanging out with some friends at the local Sonic I decide to go cruise around looking for some action. As I'm cruising I notice a C4 vette heading in the opposite direction and about 3-4 cars behind him there's a red C5 vette. At the first opportunity I had I bust a U-turn in hopes of catching up to them. Well I got stuck at a red light, and then another one after that. I was kind of bummed because I thought I had lost them. Well after weaving through some traffic to try to catch up I spot the C5. He's in the left lane and I'm in the right about a car behind him. He must have heard me because he sped up and I pulled over behind him. Well, we had open road after that so I move back over into the right lane and pull up beside him. He's got this hot girl in the passenger seat. I would say we were going about 40-45 mph. Well as soon as I pull up next to him I see his front end lift up so I punch it (I dropped into 3rd before pulling up beside him). We are dead even and when he shifts I gain about a half a fender on him. We stayed like that til about 100 mph but I had to shut down do to a car in front of me in the right lane. Well i get ahead of him and mover over to the left lane to get around the other car and he pulls over into the right lane after passing the same car. Then we catch a red light. I was like "awesome! a dig race!". As we both pull up and stop i see that it is a young kid (probably 18-20). He gives me a nod and says "Man, that car sounds awesome! Is it stock?" I'm like "Nah man, not stock" He says "I can tell". So I ask him if he wants to go on green. He says he's on "E" and doen't have the gas to do another race. I tell him I'm on E too (which i was actually, lol) but no dice. So when the light turns green I gun it anyways just to see what he would do. but he just cruises along so I slow back down to the speed limit. He comes up next to me but then turns right giving me the thumbs up.

Anyways, I'm pretty sure this kid was driving his daddy's vette to impress his g/f or something. But he was cool nonetheless. And I also think he didn't want to race again because he was scared of losing again in front of his g/f. (The world may never know). I was proud of my car though, especially for being just bolt-ons. I'm almost positive the vette was stock....

Sorry for the long read, lol, I just wanted to give all the details so you all could have a better picture of it.
Old 08-12-2010, 05:11 PM
Teching In

Good story, I'm always happy to hear about a friendly race.
Old 08-12-2010, 07:12 PM
Staging Lane

he couldn't race because he was on "E". well if he's on "E", he probably shouldn't drive, much less race.
Old 08-12-2010, 10:11 PM
On The Tree

i had a similar run in with a c5 at the lights. im waiting at the lights to go left and this c5 vette with a cowl and rims pulls up beside and the dude is just staring at my car like he doesnt know what it is. so i roll down the window and ask there guy if he wants to race, he says yes...i tell him you wanna put some money on it? hes says no and puts his window back up. i just smile and drive away lol.

But man that guy shouldn't of been driving. What a dumbass.
Old 08-12-2010, 11:22 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Sof86
i had a similar run in with a c5 at the lights. im waiting at the lights to go left and this c5 vette with a cowl and rims pulls up beside and the dude is just staring at my car like he doesnt know what it is. so i roll down the window and ask there guy if he wants to race, he says yes...i tell him you wanna put some money on it? hes says no and puts his window back up. i just smile and drive away lol.

But man that guy shouldn't of been driving. What a dumbass.
Cool story bro.....not...... so im guessing you carry around cash in you pocket for random street light races? LOL I would have done the same exact same thing to you.

But it could have been his car, people assume to much. C5's are very cheap these days, compared to what they used to cost. A lot of the older guys with 80k plus miles on them are selling them dirt cheap and getting C6's. I got my 02 Z06 at 21, and I paid for it with cash from deployments in the Marines! And he had a hot *** girl in his car and you had what????? At least hes getting laid even if it's not his car.
Old 08-13-2010, 12:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

Good kill. Sounds like an uneven match for the most part but oh well.
Old 08-13-2010, 01:08 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

So what part makes you think you scared him. He raced you once, and you didnt kick his *** so why does he have to race you again?

nice runs but sounds like your the cocky one in this story. personally id be dissappointed runnign dead even with a bone stock c5.
Old 08-13-2010, 01:24 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by NoTractionLS1
Cool story bro.....not...... so im guessing you carry around cash in you pocket for random street light races? LOL I would have done the same exact same thing to you.

But it could have been his car, people assume to much. C5's are very cheap these days, compared to what they used to cost. A lot of the older guys with 80k plus miles on them are selling them dirt cheap and getting C6's. I got my 02 Z06 at 21, and I paid for it with cash from deployments in the Marines! And he had a hot *** girl in his car and you had what????? At least hes getting laid even if it's not his car.
I agree. I bought my c5 cash 7 years ago when i was 20 yrs old. I also was able to buy it cash due to my prior military deployments.

Its easy to believe that its daddy's car or that the parents bought him the car, but the chance that he may have bought the car by working hard should not be ruled out.

Either way, a win is a win, so good kill.
Old 08-13-2010, 01:41 AM
Launching!

Thats what I was gonna say as well. You can get a 97 C5 for like 16K (probally one of the bsts deals out their cas the C5's still look pretty new and kool as well have good handling and that awesome LS1)..

He ran you once and his girl probally complained ect. But actually in my vpa Iteats gas like a **** and if Im already low and do runs it can cause disater. Last time I street raced while almost on Empty I had to replace my roller rockers..Car literally ran out of gas during the run...LOL
Old 08-13-2010, 07:08 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by NoTractionLS1
well i don't have to parade around my pretty wife....i leave her at home. But even though it's not anybody's business...I did get laid that night!

Originally Posted by itsslow98
So what part makes you think you scared him. He raced you once, and you didnt kick his *** so why does he have to race you again?

nice runs but sounds like your the cocky one in this story. personally id be dissappointed runnign dead even with a bone stock c5.
well, grant it he was probably stock (don't know for sure but it was quiet), the fact that he was a manual and had the hit...and the fact that I pulled on him does make me feel a little proud. I don't think I was cocky about it. the fact of the matter is maybe he was low on gas....but i think he just didn't want to race again from a dig and get beat even worse than the little roll race we had.

Originally Posted by blkc5vette
I agree. I bought my c5 cash 7 years ago when i was 20 yrs old. I also was able to buy it cash due to my prior military deployments.

Its easy to believe that its daddy's car or that the parents bought him the car, but the chance that he may have bought the car by working hard should not be ruled out.

Either way, a win is a win, so good kill.
You're right, they can be had for a decent price (i was going to get one instead my my camaro but my wife wouldn't let me, had to have a car with a back seat for the kid she said). But this kid was young, and in no way looked military. I've been in the Army now for 7 years and still currently serving and i can spot a soldier (or ex soldier for that matter) from a mile away...i'm not saying it couldn't have been his car, but i highly doubt it....
Old 08-13-2010, 09:50 AM
Teching In

I love how people assume if you drive a corvette and your young it's either your dads, or he bought it for you.
Old 08-13-2010, 10:45 AM
11 Second Club

well i highly doubt a dude that young is making enough money to afford a corvette down here in Columbus, GA....
Old 08-13-2010, 10:52 AM
11 Second Club

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

my uncle just bought a mint black 99 z51 fully loaded m6 bone stock with 80K miles for $13k

these cars aren't that expensive anymore
Old 08-13-2010, 12:01 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by thunderstruck507
my uncle just bought a mint black 99 z51 fully loaded m6 bone stock with 80K miles for $13k

these cars aren't that expensive anymore
yes I know one that just got sold for $7,200 with 80k! Only thing wrong was then paint was faded but the person that bought it owns a paint shop.