Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

My GTA's first two races

Old 08-15-2010, 02:24 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My GTA's first two races

I don't have an LSX, but I wanted to share my latest stories with you all since I rarely get into races. The first one is a super easy kill, the second was a little better.

I was cruising up the highway a few weeks ago doing the speed limit and minding my own in my 91 GTA L98 when suddenly a mid 90's red Integra with blacked out windows and taillights and a fartcan comes up on me and then does a ricer blow by on me. I weighed my options about possible jailtime and said WTF and proceeded to step it up to 130 real fast to catch up to him. Once I caught up I hung out next to him at 110 for awhile then we slowly came down to about 80 and I kept my distance. Then we hit a straight and I blew by him and proceeded to very quickly put a 1/8 mile between us so I could set him up for the kill. I then slowed to about 70 and waited and sure enough he took the bait and came flying up to me. I let him get his front bumper equal with my back one and then I booted it and I'd say he made it to my door if lucky when I met his speed and pulled away fast. I proceeded to do this to him for about 5 miles and tease the hell out of him then I slowed down and let him blow by and disappear. I can't believe how slow those cars really are. I could have ran with him at 1/2 throttle all day long lol.

Then a few days ago, I'm rolling down the highway at about 55-60 MPH and a 2000 era red Mustang with a body kit and black stripes down the sides and some sort of lettering on the fenders (Boss, Saleen?) comes flying up on me while I'm stuck behind a passing semi in the left lane. He goes to the right lane, comes up and checks me out and then the semi decides not to pass and cuts him off and gets in the right lane. He then swerves in behind me and I see the chance. I look up ahead to a good mile of straight open highway and I could not pass up the chance to see what my GTA really had so I hammered it and he quickly followed suit just like I thought he would. By the time we got to 80 I was already walking on him and by time we got to where we had to shut down (roughly 120-130) I was at least 5 car lengths on him.
I would have LOVED to get him from a dig at the upcoming light or at least side by side with him, but he got off the next exit and I never got a chance. Hopefully he was a local guy and I will see him again because I'd love to find out what he has done under the hood or just get him from a dig and properly introduce him to my GTA lol.

My current mods are as follows:
Accel/Lingenfelter Super Ram intake
24 lb Ford design III injectors
Accel 58 MM throttle body
PCMforLESS tuned chip
160 degree thermostat
Hedman headers
Hedman Y pipe
Flowmaster muffler
Milodon high flow water pump
March underdrive pulleys
Goodyear hi miler hoses
EGR deleted
AIR pump deleted
Cats deleted
TB coolant bypass
NGK G power plugs
Taylor 8MM wires
Hypertech cap and rotor
Hypertech 53K volt coil
K&N air filter
Poly swaybar endlinks
KYB GR2 Struts
Old 08-15-2010, 04:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

have you run your car at the track? any guesstimates? your car is an auto right?

Originally Posted by budfreak
I don't have an LSX, but I wanted to share my latest stories with you all since I rarely get into races. The first one is a super easy kill, the second was a little better.

I was cruising up the highway a few weeks ago doing the speed limit and minding my own in my 91 GTA L98 when suddenly a mid 90's red Integra with blacked out windows and taillights and a fartcan comes up on me and then does a ricer blow by on me. I weighed my options about possible jailtime and said WTF and proceeded to step it up to 130 real fast to catch up to him. Once I caught up I hung out next to him at 110 for awhile then we slowly came down to about 80 and I kept my distance. Then we hit a straight and I blew by him and proceeded to very quickly put a 1/8 mile between us so I could set him up for the kill. I then slowed to about 70 and waited and sure enough he took the bait and came flying up to me. I let him get his front bumper equal with my back one and then I booted it and I'd say he made it to my door if lucky when I met his speed and pulled away fast. I proceeded to do this to him for about 5 miles and tease the hell out of him then I slowed down and let him blow by and disappear. I can't believe how slow those cars really are. I could have ran with him at 1/2 throttle all day long lol.

Then a few days ago, I'm rolling down the highway at about 55-60 MPH and a 2000 era red Mustang with a body kit and black stripes down the sides and some sort of lettering on the fenders (Boss, Saleen?) comes flying up on me while I'm stuck behind a passing semi in the left lane. He goes to the right lane, comes up and checks me out and then the semi decides not to pass and cuts him off and gets in the right lane. He then swerves in behind me and I see the chance. I look up ahead to a good mile of straight open highway and I could not pass up the chance to see what my GTA really had so I hammered it and he quickly followed suit just like I thought he would. By the time we got to 80 I was already walking on him and by time we got to where we had to shut down (roughly 120-130) I was at least 5 car lengths on him.
I would have LOVED to get him from a dig at the upcoming light or at least side by side with him, but he got off the next exit and I never got a chance. Hopefully he was a local guy and I will see him again because I'd love to find out what he has done under the hood or just get him from a dig and properly introduce him to my GTA lol.

My current mods are as follows:
Accel/Lingenfelter Super Ram intake
24 lb Ford design III injectors
Accel 58 MM throttle body
PCMforLESS tuned chip
160 degree thermostat
Hedman headers
Hedman Y pipe
Flowmaster muffler
Milodon high flow water pump
March underdrive pulleys
Goodyear hi miler hoses
EGR deleted
AIR pump deleted
Cats deleted
TB coolant bypass
NGK G power plugs
Taylor 8MM wires
Hypertech cap and rotor
Hypertech 53K volt coil
K&N air filter
Poly swaybar endlinks
KYB GR2 Struts
Old 08-15-2010, 04:16 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by firechicken76
have you run your car at the track? any guesstimates? your car is an auto right?
I went to the track before I put the headers and Y pipe on, deleted the cats and the air pump and put on the underdrive pulley and ran 14.2@96 MPH in 85degree plus heat. I suspect it is in the 13's now.
Yes, it is an auto.
Old 08-15-2010, 04:49 PM
12 Second Club

Way to shut 'em down with the ol' Turd gen. You've got to get some heads and a stall on that thing man.
Old 08-15-2010, 04:59 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by RaggedRides
Way to shut 'em down with the ol' Turd gen. You've got to get some heads and a stall on that thing man.
I have plenty of things planned as money allows. I will be doing #113 casting heads ported and polished, ZZ4 cam with 1.6 full roller rockers, supercharger, 2,400 stall converter, 3.73 gears, and more.
Old 08-15-2010, 05:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I went to the track before I put the headers and Y pipe on, deleted the cats and the air pump and put on the underdrive pulley and ran 14.2@96 MPH in 85degree plus heat. I suspect it is in the 13's now.
Yes, it is an auto.
That's what I was running on the 1/4 aswell. Constant 14.3-14.2. Good kills, specially on that stang
Old 08-15-2010, 06:45 PM
Teching In

Must have been a fake Saleen. Good kills.

I'd bet the Integra was just an LS version with 142hp (maybe a GS-R with 170).

I love 3rd gen T/As.
Old 08-15-2010, 06:48 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by RaggedRides
I have plenty of things planned as money allows. I will be doing #113 casting heads ported and polished, ZZ4 cam with 1.6 full roller rockers, supercharger, 2,400 stall converter, 3.73 gears, and more.
I agree with Ragged. Your head options are nearly unlimited and affordable: LT1 era heads fit along with every SBC head ever invented. Just don't use the ZZ4 cam! waste of money.

You've no doubt noticed the near impossibility of finding a good TPI tuner/ chip burner nowadays. My brothers '87 IROC is getting a LS1 computer upgrade after he spent countless months trying to get first his trickflow LT1 heads and GM hotcam to work right, then now his AFR 205 heads and big comp cam to work. You will have the same problem if you mod anymore!
Old 08-16-2010, 10:02 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Sticks n Stones
I agree with Ragged. Your head options are nearly unlimited and affordable: LT1 era heads fit along with every SBC head ever invented. Just don't use the ZZ4 cam! waste of money.

You've no doubt noticed the near impossibility of finding a good TPI tuner/ chip burner nowadays. My brothers '87 IROC is getting a LS1 computer upgrade after he spent countless months trying to get first his trickflow LT1 heads and GM hotcam to work right, then now his AFR 205 heads and big comp cam to work. You will have the same problem if you mod anymore!
I am very limited on the funds I can spend on the car as I am self employed and have a family, so I'm going with the cheapest and easiest options for me. I already have the ZZ4 cam with zero miles on it, I got it for cheap and wasn't going to pass it up. As I recall with 1.6 ratio rockers I will have .510 lift on int. and .544 exh. which should be plenty respectable. The duration is a little bit low, but it will work for me.
I'm not too worried yet about tuning because so far pcmforless seems to have what I'm doing under control. I have dyno'd the car and it has a nice flat torque curve and the A/F is almost right on. I plan to dyno it again in a month and send the results back with my chip to have them retune it since I have made some changes. If worse comes to worse once I get into it and if their tune doesn't work, I can always buy a moates setup and burn my own chips.
Old 08-16-2010, 05:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

you have alot done to your engine, do the old tpi's just not respond very well to mods? arent they suppost to run mid 14 stock?
Old 08-16-2010, 06:09 PM
Teching In

you have alot done to your engine, do the old tpi's just not respond very well to mods? arent they suppost to run mid 14 stock?
The GTA runs high 14's stock most commonly.
When I did my run, it spun for about 10-15 feet off the line and the exhaust was still stock. It was also my first time drag racing a RWD car at the track and I need to work on my launch technique. I'd imagine with a good launch it has alot better in it, especially now.
Old 08-16-2010, 07:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i bet a stall and gears would really wake your car up, maybe into the low 13's...some head porting and a good cam could put you into the 12's.
Old 08-16-2010, 07:23 PM
Teching In

Budfreak, nice job on the kills. The super ram is only hurting the performance of you car until you stuff a cam and decent heads under it. A used set of trick flows or AFR's, bigger cam than the zz4, injectors and a decent tune will put you well into the 12's. You have a SD settup, much easier to tune than the MAF settup and slow *** computer mine still has.

Do the heads and cam then you can pick higher hanging fruit.

TSiAWD, my at the time untuned IROC stomped a new *** in a 2000 Saleen S281 from 0 - 100. I didnt want to race the kid but he wouldnt leave me alone. I had justed installed the engine in my car and had it out on it's maiden voyage, put 4 miles on it before it got it's first taste of Mustang. That was 10 years ago. Older Saleens mainly consist of a stickers and a body kit.
Old 08-16-2010, 07:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by IROCDave
Budfreak, nice job on the kills. The super ram is only hurting the performance of you car until you stuff a cam and decent heads under it. A used set of trick flows or AFR's, bigger cam than the zz4, injectors and a decent tune will put you well into the 12's. You have a SD settup, much easier to tune than the MAF settup and slow *** computer mine still has.

Do the heads and cam then you can pick higher hanging fruit.

TSiAWD, my at the time untuned IROC stomped a new *** in a 2000 Saleen S281 from 0 - 100. I didnt want to race the kid but he wouldnt leave me alone. I had justed installed the engine in my car and had it out on it's maiden voyage, put 4 miles on it before it got it's first taste of Mustang. That was 10 years ago. Older Saleens mainly consist of a stickers and a body kit.
good kill too, what is done to your iroc? that saleen was supercharged right?
Old 08-16-2010, 08:38 PM
Staging Lane

The Saleen S281 is supposed to be the supercharged one, hence the S. I really enjoy my 85 Trans Am, though I wish I could afford to do it more justice, so I do feel your pain. It's a little LB9, though it received a T5 swap last year, and I've already ruined that transmission. With any luck, come tax time, I'll be able to afford a T56 swap into it. I'd like to start building a motor for it, but alas, I need to replace the one in my truck first.
Old 08-16-2010, 08:54 PM
Teching In

I just looked at some pics online and it definitely looked like a Saleen by the looks of the front valance. If it was, then it was 350 HP and supercharged. It might have just been a GT with a saleen body kit on it though. Hopefully I run across the guy again someday and find out.
Old 08-16-2010, 09:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

God I miss my 89 350 Formula after reading this. It was dual cat 323 car
I went mid 14s at 95 MPH stock
13.8 at 98 MPH with slp cold air,air foil,AFPR,plastic ttops,MSD,Accel coil,ASP underdrive pulley,SLP prom(MISTAKE),SLP shift kit,gutted cats.
12.9 at 106 with ported Vette heads,TPIS headgasket,aluminum ds,2400 stall,boxed LCAS,52 MM tb,ported base and Plenum and TPIS superprofile cam with strud mounted rockers.

I think in the next couple months Im going to grab a mint 90-91 L98 Vette and have a stab at it again....
Old 08-16-2010, 09:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

formulas and GTA's were my fav, i just wish mine was a hard top.
Old 08-16-2010, 09:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

I agree but 85-90 Irocs looked good too(86 not so with the high mounted third brake light). GTA was the best and the classiest. A 91 Dark green GTA was a knock out!!!!
Old 08-16-2010, 10:17 PM
Teching In

good kill too, what is done to your iroc? that saleen was supercharged right?
Yep. They only had about 250HP stock so the SC only made them respectable, not fast. It was a fantastic looking and sounding car though. The look on the kids face when he pulled up to us at the next light was awesome. My wife laughed at him and his buddy for being **** than getting waxed.

This is a pick from this past winters upgrade.

Last edited by IROCDave; 08-16-2010 at 10:21 PM. Reason: added pic

Search this Thread