Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

GP GTP asked for it and almost got "slapped"

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2004, 08:38 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by xphantomws6x
I was wondering this when I read the story ... so I tried it on my way home from school today ....

Rolling at < 20 mph, car goes into first ... going faster then 20mph, first gear lock takes over and doesn't allow you to get into it ..... so how did you manage to get your car into 1st at 40mph? Plus, it should be SCREAMING at that speed.
Granted I have 4.10's, but still ...
What I said was I went into first at around 30, NOT 40. Well I don't know about not letting you into first, that seems kind of odd. At 40 MPH in first I am at around 5500 rpm. I have the stock gears. I just know that I had no problem downshifting to first at 30 mph (maybe it was 28 mph, hell I was not taking notes) when I needed to get on it. Now I am not saying I left it there for long, it only takes a second to go 30 - 40 in first gear, and then of course I immediately went into second. Believe me, if I was going to make up a story about a kill, it would not be on a GP GTP, it would be a viper or a testerosa or something. And hey, I even admitted the dude may have hit his brakes when my car attempted to byatch slap his car.
Old 01-30-2004, 09:48 AM
STF veteran / 10 second club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

??
I never questioned the validity of your story ... I was just wondering why my car doesn't let me downshift into 1st, and yours did. It could definately be due to the fact that I have 4.10's, and you have stock gearing, as I had said earlier. Maybe your lockout point is 30mph and mine is 20 due to the diff gears. Maybe the 98's didn't have a 1st gear lockout or had a completely different engagement spot. No clue, just wondering. Sorry if I sounded like I was calling BS, I wasn't ... I'm sure you dont have problems beating GTPs.
Old 01-30-2004, 09:56 AM
TECH Enthusiast

??
I never questioned the validity of your story ... I was just wondering why my car doesn't let me downshift into 1st, and yours did. It could definately be due to the fact that I have 4.10's, and you have stock gearing, as I had said earlier. Maybe your lockout point is 30mph and mine is 20 due to the diff gears. Maybe the 98's didn't have a 1st gear lockout or had a completely different engagement spot. No clue, just wondering. Sorry if I sounded like I was calling BS, I wasn't ... I'm sure you dont have problems beating GTPs.
No, that is cool man, I did not think that, I was just clarifying and I am wondering, as you are, what's up with the lock-out of first gear? Maybe one of these guys can clue us in. I bought the car at around 40k, but I don't think it had any "modifications" to the tranny, hell it still had the skip shift activated when I got it (that lasted around 2 days).
Old 01-30-2004, 03:36 PM
TECH Resident

I was wondering this when I read the story ... so I tried it on my way home from school today ....

Rolling at < 20 mph, car goes into first ... going faster then 20mph, first gear lock takes over and doesn't allow you to get into it ..... so how did you manage to get your car into 1st at 40mph? Plus, it should be SCREAMING at that speed.
Granted I have 4.10's, but still ...
Yeah i got 4.10's as well and i'm not sure i'd be comfortable doing that either.

I don't remember what 1st tops out at but i know that 2nd tops at like 62-63 mph
Old 01-30-2004, 04:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I did a search and here is what I found for my 3.42 stock gears : @5500 rpm, which is where I try to shift:

1st = 46mph
2nd = 69
3rd = 94
4th = 123
5th = 166
6th = 245

obviously theoretical, i.e in a vacuum, so 40 is probably about where I want to shift out of 1st in a drag race I guess. But I will keep playing it by ear as well. I am getting to know her pretty well, and can feel when she wants another gear, at least I hope so.
Old 01-31-2004, 01:30 AM
TECH Junkie

I wasn't saying you were BS'ing. I believe ya. I was just saying be careful, cars can break and that costs money. And, they don't make FBodies anymore!!!
Old 02-01-2004, 03:59 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 98Z-6Speed
What I said was I went into first at around 30, NOT 40. Well I don't know about not letting you into first, that seems kind of odd. At 40 MPH in first I am at around 5500 rpm. I have the stock gears. I just know that I had no problem downshifting to first at 30 mph (maybe it was 28 mph, hell I was not taking notes) when I needed to get on it. Now I am not saying I left it there for long, it only takes a second to go 30 - 40 in first gear, and then of course I immediately went into second. Believe me, if I was going to make up a story about a kill, it would not be on a GP GTP, it would be a viper or a testerosa or something. And hey, I even admitted the dude may have hit his brakes when my car attempted to byatch slap his car.
Yeah, I have a m6 with stock gears, and no problem shifting to first @ 30 mph, however, that is my upper limit(by choice!) for downshifting to first gear!
Old 02-01-2004, 08:19 AM
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

You wasted a shift if you went into first at 30mph because you immediately had to shift right back into second anyway. You lost traction so badly because of your choice to use first gear. You should've stayed in second. Just trying to help...

Nice kill. Time for some mods now. Not every car out there is as slow as a GTP.
Old 02-01-2004, 09:54 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks Unit. That is why I post here, so I will be better prepared the next time someone throws a rev my way.

I am going to start modding after the track opens this year. I want to get in some bone stock runs first so I can see the improvements from modding first hand, and post them here. I also want to kill at least one mustang GT bone stock as well. I have a new lid sitting in my garage right now, and I have a shop picked out to do heads and a mild cam.
Old 02-01-2004, 02:14 PM
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 98Z-6Speed
Thanks Unit. That is why I post here, so I will be better prepared the next time someone throws a rev my way.

I am going to start modding after the track opens this year. I want to get in some bone stock runs first so I can see the improvements from modding first hand, and post them here. I also want to kill at least one mustang GT bone stock as well. I have a new lid sitting in my garage right now, and I have a shop picked out to do heads and a mild cam.
Sounds like a good plan. Get used to the car really well then start modding it. As a general rule, I never go back to first gear once rolling. Traction ain't gonna happen and you waste time on the 1-2 shift. Besides, you don't want to mechanically over rev your motor and bend some pushrods or worse.

Keep up the good work!
Old 02-03-2004, 12:46 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by WECIV
Good kill. 30 in 1st???
I don't see why that's a problem as long as you rev match your speed.