Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

The reason that guys choose nitrous is...

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2010, 08:10 AM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default The reason that guys choose nitrous is...

The reason that guys choose nitrous is...

... to keep guys like me from toying with them like a cat with a broken legged mouse.

MMOB on the empty freeway last night on the way to work when a '05-'09 Mustang GT cruises by me: Eventually we get side by side just after entering a long tunnel- and he is pacing me but ignoring my hand signals- so I let it drop down to 2nd gear for a quick 6700rpm blast. I assumed that he would be intimidation killed right then and there but was wrong: He catches up and lines up with me. As soon as he hears me manually downshift to 2nd he jumps.

His car is probably stock I'm thinking as I easily reel him in then get side by side with him and give him the much hated throttle blips 'VroomVrooomVrooom' as I loaf along next to him while he is WOT. At this point I've already written this guy off as barely worth my time and merely an amusement on my way to work...

I did notice him doing something in his car while we were side by side: he was in his center console and doing something while in the middle of a race. I ignored his odd behavior.

I go around the lone car ahead of us and am back in Cruise Mode when he gets next to me again. Motioning me to race- noo, actually he is motioning to race again AND for ME to go first.

"Did he not realize that I was toying with him back there?!"
"Now I'm gonna slaughter him-- and make him take the hit" ~evil grin~

I'm holding 2nd gear at 60mph when he takes off: He gets an easy 1/2 car on me before I am WOT and stopped his pull. I'm in the left lane of a 4 lane freeway -in another tunnel- and there is yet another solo car ahead in my lane. I got about 1/8 mile seperation in which to get ahead of this slow Mustang and get into his lane. Should be no problem at all. Except that for some damned reason... what the... how?... wholly hell I'm barely able to reel him in this time!

...at his door with 150 yards to go...
...at his front tire with 100 yards to go...
...door to door with only 75 yards to go!...

Damnit I'm at my braking marker and gotta get out of the gas - with about a 1 foot lead. Pheww!! THAT was a damned CLOSE race! WTF happened?!? I check (literally checked) to make sure my carpet wasnt wadded up under my gas pedal. Nope.

Was he playing with me the first time we ran? ~maybe but very doubtfull that we both were sandbagging each other.

Could it have been possible he could be supercharged or turbo without me hearing it? ~ without me hearing it IN A TUNNEL with my window down? - don't think so.

Hmm. He was doing something in his car during that first race when I was toying with him. Arming a nitrous setup I bet!

Yep: he got next to me and did the universal 'thumb pressing a button' motion with a huge SEG on his face! Amazing how much a shot of nitrous can do on a probably stock car! He ran me just as tough as a 6-8psi supercharged Mustang could have hoped to.

And more importantly,

He wiped the smug little arrogant smile off my face

~and nearly stole the win from me~

I'm betting he will never regret buying that nitrous kit for his car. : at least until he comes up on a more modded car also running nitrous.

Last edited by Sticks n Stones; 03-06-2011 at 05:21 PM.
Old 11-04-2010, 08:47 AM
On The Tree

LOL! Nice run. I had something similar happen to me, I had just bought my T/a and I was 3/4 throttle running with an STI and i thought i was badass, turns out he was on low boost and the next time we raced he put 5+ cars on me
Old 11-04-2010, 08:59 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ever had that GTO at the track ?

Your GTO should be trapping over 120+mph right ? An those 05-09 Mustangs are pretty damn slow...even with cams and full bolt ons. He must have been running a large pill.
Old 11-04-2010, 09:14 AM
myk
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Other driver was lame-I wouldn't be smiling if I had to use NAWZ to beat another car...
Old 11-04-2010, 09:32 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by myk
Other driver was lame-I wouldn't be smiling if I had to use NAWZ to beat another car...
He wasn't a tool about it though. After all, he did make a point to tell the OP he used some juice.
Old 11-04-2010, 09:40 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by myk
Why? The op had to use a cam, heads, exhaust, etc.. it is a mod just like tires (people also cry and get sand in their vagina about this as well) a cam, heads, etc.. SAME THING. I bet if it was a cobra you wouldn't have said, "I wouldn't be grinning if i had to use a blower to win".
a win is a win.. all that matters is if you are in front of the other car, PERIOD.

Lame.

Good kill sticks.
Old 11-04-2010, 09:43 AM
Staging Lane

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

I think myk was kidding...
Old 11-04-2010, 10:01 AM
11 Second Club

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

awesome read sticks!

im putting in a 100 shot over the winter and im goin lookin for the local zr1 that pullled away from me
Old 11-04-2010, 10:05 AM
Teching In

Good kills... never know when they are going to pull the baby bottle out on you!
Old 11-04-2010, 10:18 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by lemons12
Why? The op had to use a cam, heads, exhaust, etc.. it is a mod just like tires (people also cry and get sand in their vagina about this as well) a cam, heads, etc.. SAME THING. I bet if it was a cobra you wouldn't have said, "I wouldn't be grinning if i had to use a blower to win".
a win is a win.. all that matters is if you are in front of the other car, PERIOD.

Lame.

Good kill sticks.
Good kill OP!

I never thought I would agree with Lemons but that's a damn good post. Just run what you brung and hope you brought enuff!
Old 11-04-2010, 10:18 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by hugger1975
awesome read sticks!

im putting in a 100 shot over the winter and im goin lookin for the local zr1 that pullled away from me
what other mods do you have one your SS, because with my stage3 l92's and cammed 408, i still need a 100 shot to run with/ pull a Zr1 and thats only till triple digits when i can forget it.
Old 11-04-2010, 10:22 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by hugger1975
awesome read sticks!

2nd Gen ZR1?
Old 11-04-2010, 10:33 AM
TECH Regular

Never understood why people cry so much about nitrous. The point is to win. Hell when I had my kit I had an easy $2k into it.
Old 11-04-2010, 10:42 AM
Teching In

I'll still prefer a turbo anyday. Having to refill a bottle all the time sounds like a pain.
Old 11-04-2010, 11:27 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Redfire 03
Good kill OP!

I never thought I would agree with Lemons but that's a damn good post. Just run what you brung and hope you brought enuff!

Originally Posted by LightningTeg
I'll still prefer a turbo anyday. Having to refill a bottle all the time sounds like a pain.
You get about ten *solid sprays out of a ten # spraying around a 125 hit.. I don't drive or race my car enough to go through that fast enough to.be a pain.. I have to fill my bottle about once every two months and it always has plenty left.

Initial startup cost is dirt cheap.. instant HP and tq like na and makes as much tq as turbo. a good kit will run you two K or so but that is all the bells and whistles and buying new. Well worth it imo.
Myk, If you were kidding.. statement still stands to others.. i just dont think you are a moron anymore. Lol
Old 11-04-2010, 11:32 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by lemons12

You get about ten *solid sprays out of a ten # spraying around a 125 hit.. I don't drive or race my car enough to go through that fast enough to.be a pain.. I have to fill my bottle about once every two months and it always has plenty left.

Initial startup cost is dirt cheap.. instant HP and tq like na and makes as much tq as turbo. a good kit will run you two K or so but that is all the bells and whistles and buying new. Well worth it imo.
Myk, If you were kidding.. statement still stands to others.. i just dont think you are a moron anymore. Lol
Nitrous is for cheaters who don't know how to get their hands dirty and do some real engine work!
Old 11-04-2010, 11:45 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 212 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by snake95
Nitrous is for cheaters who don't know how to get their hands dirty and do some real engine work!
Theres some cars around here that would be more than happy to let you test that theory.
Old 11-04-2010, 11:52 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by AnnivSS
Theres some cars around here that would be more than happy to let you test that theory.
They can bring it. My cousin from Houston said that his stock blocked all motor LS2 with just H/C and exhaust pulled 4 cars on a 02 Camaro with a cam and a 300 shot. Take that weak nitrous **** out of here.
Old 11-04-2010, 11:55 AM
TECH Resident

They can bring it. My cousin from Houston said that his stock blocked all motor LS2 with just H/C and exhaust pulled 4 cars on a 02 Camaro with a cam and a 300 shot. Take that weak nitrous **** out of here.
Old 11-04-2010, 11:55 AM
TECH Senior Member

Typical ford owner response.

Lol
my buddy has a 00 z28 auto 273 with ONLY lid and free mods with a 100 shot.. has spent literally 400$.. it is a HELL of a race with me him and my buddy from a roll.. you guys know my setup.. buddy has m6 afr custom cam fast intake full exhaust etc etc.. I would say that was a smart purchase.. from a dig of course I am quicker because I have a converter but still. Needless to say his "stock" car pisses some people off.
*typed from phone