Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Raced a new 5.0

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2011, 12:12 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

While we got some relevant info from the 5.0 owner whose car was in question(thanks for chiming in kdanner), it sure led to a storm of anger on both sides. Bottom line: That Mustang lines up at the track WAY heavier than when purchased. Weight reduction here or there is one thing. However, when weight is added, such as a roll bar, that can account for plenty of previous removal.

The overall reduction on that 5.0 isn't much and the additional weight brings it about even, without driver. Once any driver is added, weight goes up... some more than others. When "class racing," driver weight is accounted for by balast or reduction to meet rules... The car W/ driver cannot exceed X amount in most cases. So the driver would be included for the most part.

Saying that adding a cage/bar to meet rules just makes the "stock weight" more is hogwash, folks. The car must meet certain standards and those include weight(in most cases), which is done with or without a cage, depending on the class and speed/ET of the vehicle, but w/ driver. That doesn't make a stock weight heavier. It just means weight can be removed from somewhere else as long as the vehicle meets the minimum weight requirement.

I've seen mention of "skinnies" several times, but honestly, 4.5" wheels are only "partially" skinny in my book. Real skinnies are 4" or less as far as I'm concerned.

Any Mustang(or nearly any car on a track) will meet minimum weight requirements at 3700 lb for basically all classes ever devised. Hence, that Mustang IS a "full weight" car by any legitimate racing standard, regardless who does or doesn't like the fact.

This thread has evidently run its course... unless people have a change of attitude. I mean, what's the point of good info when it only becomes a pissing contest???
Old 02-05-2011, 12:24 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hmm. from all the 5.0 threads, I'm sure they'll be buzzing around me like a bunch of hornets this summer.
Old 02-05-2011, 09:39 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Mike Morris
Whatever. Like I said if he was local I would run him. Speaking of checks I bet he is a "checkbook" racer as well. His comments in this thread speak for themselves.
You sir, are a true moron.

Old 02-10-2011, 01:17 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

here is an update on ernie's car.

his first pass ever on the car was a 6.74. he wants to get it into the 5's. hes gonna spray it for that. he runs in the 6.50's regularly. thats the index.

he thinks the spray will get him 5.6 flat. i think spray will either kill him or run 5 flat.

he drives the car on the street. its not maxxed by any means. the small carbs assure that. i need to go hang out at his house and talk about it. i dont know everything. he showed me the stuff he waas buying, but its been a while.

Last edited by assasinator; 02-10-2011 at 02:11 AM.
Old 02-10-2011, 08:59 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by assasinator
here is an update on ernie's car.

his first pass ever on the car was a 6.74. he wants to get it into the 5's. hes gonna spray it for that. he runs in the 6.50's regularly. thats the index.

he thinks the spray will get him 5.6 flat. i think spray will either kill him or run 5 flat.

he drives the car on the street. its not maxxed by any means. the small carbs assure that. i need to go hang out at his house and talk about it. i dont know everything. he showed me the stuff he waas buying, but its been a while.

wow thats movin. i was thinking if he has C-Heads his numbers might look close to this although this one was done with only a single carb N/A
Old 02-10-2011, 07:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

i talked to him today. he's really close to getting into the 8's at 160mph 1/4 mile with all out launch. edit:he needs a chute now.

Last edited by assasinator; 02-10-2011 at 08:05 PM.
Old 02-10-2011, 11:45 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by assasinator
i talked to him today. he's really close to getting into the 8's at 160mph 1/4 mile with all out launch. edit:he needs a chute now.
pretty damned good for an N/A street driven BBF, most LSx owners need boost to make that kinda power!!.........why do i feel like i own an LS1 again and talking to a mod motored mustang owner???? all in good fun all in good fun.
Old 02-11-2011, 12:51 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by MauriSSio
pretty damned good for an N/A street driven BBF, most LSx owners need boost to make that kinda power!!.........why do i feel like i own an LS1 again and talking to a mod motored mustang owner???? all in good fun all in good fun.
Compare apples to apples. Do some research on what BBC's can produce.

Oh the irony pains me.
Old 02-11-2011, 01:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Because BBC's can't produce similar or best those numbers?
Old 02-11-2011, 02:14 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 916 BREDWNR
Compare apples to apples. Do some research on what BBC's can produce.

Oh the irony pains me.
LOL thats what im talking about, apparently its only apples to oranges when the comparison falls out of favor to the LSx

Originally Posted by marc97taws6
Because BBC's can't produce similar or best those numbers?
sure they can,i dont know maybe they can do better. Never said they couldnt.
Old 02-11-2011, 02:23 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

LOL thats what im talking about, apparently its only apples to oranges when the comparison falls out of favor to the LSx
Your obsession for the LSX engine has crossed the border of extreme. You should really seek help guy.
Old 02-11-2011, 02:44 PM
***Repost Police***

I see what you did there... apparently nobody else did.
Old 02-11-2011, 02:49 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Irunelevens
I see what you did there... apparently nobody else did.
The Ford love you two share is beautiful.
Old 02-11-2011, 02:53 PM
***Repost Police***

No, I'm just not an idiot. I saw the comparison he was making, and I found it funny. Other people reacted like he was being completely serious.
Old 02-11-2011, 02:54 PM
Launching!

No, I'm just not an idiot. I saw the comparison he was making, and I found it funny. Other people reacted like he was being completely serious.
When all else fails just pull the "it was sarcasm" card huh? You know dang well that tool was being serious.
Old 02-11-2011, 02:57 PM
***Repost Police***

Redfire, you think this post was completely serious? Really? It was obviously a joke meant to rile up people like you, hence the smilie. And it apparently worked like a charm.
Old 02-11-2011, 03:01 PM
Launching!

Redfire, you think this post was completely serious? Really? It was obviously a joke meant to rile up people like you, hence the smilie. And it apparently worked like a charm.
Yeah it was a 'joke' alright. lol
Old 02-11-2011, 03:59 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Redfire 03
Yeah it was a 'joke' alright. lol
Without a doubt, it was a joke. Note the he added, signifying he knew this would provoke people and that shows it wasn't serious.
Old 02-11-2011, 05:22 PM
12 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

It is funny seeing two ford guys rub their penises all over each other in a Chevy forum.
Old 02-11-2011, 05:28 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by ss1129
It is funny seeing two ford guys rub their penises all over each other in a Chevy forum.
This is possibly the most pathetically stupid and un-funny one-liner of the past year or more.