Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2011, 01:14 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lol my fuel pump died this morning. 4th times the charm right
Old 02-02-2011, 01:19 PM
9 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm still on my first at about 24k miles. I am getting some long cranks though can't tell if it's because it's so damn cold out.
Old 02-02-2011, 01:26 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by TT Sedan
Lol my fuel pump died this morning. 4th times the charm right
Probably not the last one, unfortunately. There are people who have been through 6 pumps by now. Thats like a break down every 6 months.

HPFPs are such a precise component (.0001" tolerances) that it's very difficult to make them reliable. Just a small amount of wear and tear and the pump can no longer deliver the necessary pressures for the DI system. This is one of the many reasons i have no interest in owning a direct injected car.

So much for the revised design i guess. I assume you're still under warranty?

Does the after market tune increase the fuel pressure?
Old 02-02-2011, 01:44 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by Beans
Probably not the last one, unfortunately. There are people who have been through 6 pumps by now. Thats like a break down every 6 months.

HPFPs are such a precise component (.0001" tolerances) that it's very difficult to make them reliable. Just a small amount of wear and tear and the pump can no longer deliver the necessary pressures for the DI system. This is one of the many reasons i have no interest in owning a direct injected car.

So much for the revised design i guess. I assume you're still under warranty?

Does the after market tune increase the fuel pressure?
Not sure about the pressure, but yeah more fuel is flowing when the boost goes up. I know they just came out with a new revision in the last couple months. Not sure how that is. It's hit and miss in terms of pinning it on a tune. I've been running a tune for the last 17K miles and no issue. Other guys are bone stock and have gone through a few pumps.
Old 02-02-2011, 01:50 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by willizm
Not sure about the pressure, but yeah more fuel is flowing when the boost goes up. I know they just came out with a new revision in the last couple months. Not sure how that is. It's hit and miss in terms of pinning it on a tune. I've been running a tune for the last 17K miles and no issue. Other guys are bone stock and have gone through a few pumps.
Hopefully the latest revision makes some progress in taking care of the issue. It has certainly pissed off a lot of owners and hurt their reputation, but a lot of DI cars have the same problem, it's not BMW specific.

It must be costing them a fortune in warranty claims, though.
Old 02-02-2011, 02:03 PM
9 Second Club

Hopefully the latest revision makes some progress in taking care of the issue. It has certainly pissed off a lot of owners and hurt their reputation, but a lot of DI cars have the same problem, it's not BMW specific.

It must be costing them a fortune in warranty claims, though.
They extended fuel pump coverage to 100k miles so at least they are owning up to it. Yep, people are pissed. Really, what did they expect buying a German car. reliability? I talk more people out of buying bimmer or audi if they plan on keeping it for past the warranty. I still love the car, but not sure what I want to do with it when that warranty comes to an end. Then again, i don't owe anything on it so I can't complain. I have a saying "BMW designs some of the best cars in the world, just not designed to last"
Old 02-02-2011, 02:55 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by silverz28camaro
I may have been drunk already, didn't see that little smiley chuggin

As of the 14.0 runs the truck had some slight shifting issues and the fact that I'm running a 98 ls1 with a smaller cam(early model) with a 2001 computer, and a 2000 maf meter I'm sure I'm leaving a few ponies on the table, not much but if the truck was dialed in (one day hopefully) it may see more consistent 13.8-9's. Or if I ever pull the trigger on twin turbos then maybe it hit 11's IDK, but for now I need to truck to be more reliable and fun to drive, so the N/A route may be best.
You don't have an LS6 intake do you? That woke my car up pretty good. That and a tune would definitely help the truck out without sacrificing any reliability (bet it would drop a tenth or 2 as well). I say just throwing a Kenne Bell or Whipple on it since you have the room. Big torque for the heavier truck, plus it would suprise the hell of out of people.....or just spray it.

98-00 had a bigger cam than the 01/02's btw.

Enough to beat your car
Talk about overkill.
Old 02-02-2011, 03:19 PM
10 Second Club

They extended fuel pump coverage to 100k miles so at least they are owning up to it. Yep, people are pissed. Really, what did they expect buying a German car. reliability? I talk more people out of buying bimmer or audi if they plan on keeping it for past the warranty. I still love the car, but not sure what I want to do with it when that warranty comes to an end. Then again, i don't owe anything on it so I can't complain. I have a saying "BMW designs some of the best cars in the world, just not designed to last"
When it comes to what they're making now, i agree.

I feel like they're trying so hard to compete with MB, Audi, and Lexus that they have almost completely forgot about the enthusiasts that built the company.

My last BMW was totaled a few years ago. It was a 2001, and even at that point things were going downhill. The throttle had intentionally built in lag so granny doesn't scare herself, the CDV numbed the clutch feel, and the fluid filled bushings, motor mounts, and a few other items annoyed me.

Now i feel like it's worse. In 07 i was at the track beating on my E46 when a new 335i showed up, and one of the instructors took it out for some hot laps. It was a 90* day and the car was in limp mode within minutes. I couldn't believe it, and what i found more amazing was this turbo car came with an E-diff and a beverage cooler.

It can't cool it's own oil for 3 laps, but it'll chill your soda just fine. Who the hell thought that was ok?

Don't take this the wrong way, i'm not **** talking. The 335i is, IMO, the best midsized sports-luxury car on the market today, but the segment as a whole is very watered down.

The thing i always loved about BMWs is that for a few thousand in mods, i had a car that could do ok on the road course, and still be a quiet, comfortable, reliable DD during the week.

I've won autoxs, beaten an entire honda club on a tight road course (some were on slicks), run from the cops a few times, and crashed at triple digit speeds in BMWs, and the cars never disappointed me. That said, i don't see myself owning another one.
Old 02-02-2011, 03:41 PM
9 Second Club

When it comes to what they're making now, i agree.

I feel like they're trying so hard to compete with MB, Audi, and Lexus that they have almost completely forgot about the enthusiasts that built the company.

My last BMW was totaled a few years ago. It was a 2001, and even at that point things were going downhill. The throttle had intentionally built in lag so granny doesn't scare herself, the CDV numbed the clutch feel, and the fluid filled bushings, motor mounts, and a few other items annoyed me.

Now i feel like it's worse. In 07 i was at the track beating on my E46 when a new 335i showed up, and one of the instructors took it out for some hot laps. It was a 90* day and the car was in limp mode within minutes. I couldn't believe it, and what i found more amazing was this turbo car came with an E-diff and a beverage cooler.

It can't cool it's own oil for 3 laps, but it'll chill your soda just fine. Who the hell thought that was ok?

Don't take this the wrong way, i'm not **** talking. The 335i is, IMO, the best midsized sports-luxury car on the market today, but the segment as a whole is very watered down.

The thing i always loved about BMWs is that for a few thousand in mods, i had a car that could do ok on the road course, and still be a quiet, comfortable, reliable DD during the week.

I've won autoxs, beaten an entire honda club on a tight road course (some were on slicks), run from the cops a few times, and crashed at triple digit speeds in BMWs, and the cars never disappointed me. That said, i don't see myself owning another one.
Not all 335i's came with an oil cooler. Only the sport packaged ones did and yep you would over heat if you ran the car hard without one. If at the strip it's no big deal, but on a track where you are running the hell out the car it's a bigger issue. I don't know if i'll ever get another bimmer, but it was the only car I could find that with a few mods can run high 12's, pick up the kid from school, haul groceries, drive in the shittiest weather and not have to change a thing to do any of those. I cross shopped it with an evo and sti if you believe that.
Old 02-02-2011, 04:20 PM
10 Second Club

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by silverz28camaro
My car runs low 11's on 245 street tires
Old 02-03-2011, 10:43 PM
Teching In

Because of my involvement with said "BMW OWNER" this is all so damn funny to me . Nice to have video confirmation on what I thought .
Old 02-04-2011, 01:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LSNV
Because of my involvement with said "BMW OWNER" this is all so damn funny to me . Nice to have video confirmation on what I thought .
When I pulled up to this car in the parking lot, the look on his face was priceless, kinda like..."what the hell is this old POS Dodge wanting to race for?"

He asked me if I was sure I wanted to race. Yup!!!
Old 02-04-2011, 01:22 PM
12 Second Club

He had no idea what was going on. I just told everyone it used to have a big block and now has a small block.
Old 02-07-2011, 11:01 PM
TECH Apprentice

I just found this thread, and it's given me a shitload of laughs . I wish I could find anything around here in NC, not once has anyone given me an exhaust rev and most guys with a halfway decent car will even look at me at a stoplight, a stock LS1 isn't that scary is it?

Quick Reply: E39 540i loses to 88 Ram (Yup, that BMW guy again) **vids**