Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

ZYBORG C5 Z06 Vs the world (Viper, Corvettes, Cobras, Camaro, SRT4)

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2011, 11:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AWDTBSS
all of those are either running meth or 109octane yet the c63 is staying right with it. but i guess i under estimated the 335/135. The avg c63 tune only seems to be mid to high 11s with 118-120trap. Add a couple more bolt ons on the c63 and i'd think the 335/135 would have a hard time winning
Those are quick times IMO. Now the question is how reliable are the cars after? BMW's and Benz seem like DD cars IMO
Originally Posted by TT Sedan
The last video is 93 Octane no meth, and he has a boost leak.

MS109 is 104 octane gas btw.

And nobody is stopping the C63 from running race gas, a turbo car usually reacts better to meth or/and race gas better than a NA engine.

And if someone wants to race me and pit it on video, u bet ur *** I'm going to run race gas and a race gas map
I wouldn't mind DD'ing a newer 335xi sedan (Iowa winters: Snow = BAD!). My question is the BMW reliability after modding. I've been around American cars to know. Can't say the same about imports
Old 02-15-2011, 11:53 PM
Staging Lane

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

well the 335i's have typical bmw wiring issues and more than a couple motors have let go with people trying to push 20+ psi on the stock turbos and the turbos let go. i guess they seem to be ok unless you really try to push the stock turbos.
Old 02-16-2011, 12:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by V8EATR
well the 335i's have typical bmw wiring issues and more than a couple motors have let go with people trying to push 20+ psi on the stock turbos and the turbos let go. i guess they seem to be ok unless you really try to push the stock turbos.
How much boost would a JB3 tune be pushing? Or better yet, the new Cobb Accessport tune that one could take out so one could attempt to keep their warranty?
Old 02-16-2011, 12:31 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by V8EATR
Wiring issues? What wiring issues? And the problems I've read about is failed turbochargers not failed engines. And these failures are from people hacking up their "chip" to make it run more boost without the fail safes in place.

But yes about 18-19 psi is about the upper range limit on these turbos, and u better be running meth or race gas or both. 18-19 psi and race gas is good for about 450 rwhp.
Old 02-16-2011, 12:34 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by marc97taws6
Those are quick times IMO. Now the question is how reliable are the cars after? BMW's and Benz seem like DD cars IMO
the c63 seem to have no problems really that are drivetrain related, a tune pretty much just puts it a little above the e63 (HP wise) its the same motor just detuned
How much boost would a JB3 tune be pushing? Or better yet, the new Cobb Accessport tune that one could take out so one could attempt to keep their warranty?
doesnt dinan make a tune that keeps the warranty
Old 02-16-2011, 12:39 AM
Teching In

BmW can still void your warranty with Dinan Tune
Old 02-16-2011, 12:41 AM
Teching In

However much u want it to push. Typically people choose between 13-17 depending on mods.
Old 02-16-2011, 12:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

However much u want it to push. Typically people choose between 13-17 depending on mods.
Gotcha. Just testing the waters. It'll be several years (after college and whenever my DD dies) that I'll buy - just seeing what guys generally do.
Old 02-16-2011, 01:29 AM
Staging Lane

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

My buddy works as a bmw tech and he has seen the turbos come apart and take out the motor. Im sure foul play could have something to do with it.
Old 02-16-2011, 01:31 AM
Teching In

Red face

Gotcha. Just testing the waters. It'll be several years (after college and whenever my DD dies) that I'll buy - just seeing what guys generally do.
These new tunes with CAN access are fun. Everything is right at your fingertips.

For example my tune (beta testing) currently has 7 different maps.

Map 0: Stock bypass. This is the only map you may use a BT cable with.
Map 1: 13psi (suggested for most stock applications)
Map 2: 14.5psi (suggested for bolt on mods with 93 octane.
Map 3: Progressive meth (see guide to enable)
Map 4: Stock map w/ CAN active. Soon to be our economy map.
Map 5: (2/1 and later only) alpha autotuning map. Boost ranges between 12-16psi based on historic knock sensor feedback.
Map 6: Custom map. Active but be careful with it.
Map 7: 16.5psi. A light weight race map.

How do u access the maps?

You press the volume down and channel down button on the steering wheel at the same time.

Doing this puts u in control of the speedometer needle and RPM needle. U move the speedometer needle with the volume + and - button and move the rpm needle with the channel + and - button .

Having the speedometer needle on 0 allows u to change maps with the + and - channel buttons. This will move the rpm needle to the map of ur choice.

It's really a lot easier than I make it sound lol.

Here is our cheat sheet below

My tune also hijacks my gauges, for example I'm using my fuel gauge as a boost gauge.

Empty = 0 psi
1/4 = 5 psi
1/2 = 10 psi
3/4 = 15 psi
Full Tank =20 psi
Old 02-16-2011, 02:40 AM
Banned

Looking for a LS3 Vette or Camaro, or a bolt on C5 Z06
Got you covered here in L.A if your really lookin!!!!heads up from a dig,we dont do to much highway pulls or roll races...I"ll find out more info on dyer and p.m you.
Old 02-16-2011, 08:38 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by HioSSilver
...and I say race gas is for sissy's who did'nt buy a car with a big enough motor.
Seriously? That has to be one of the dumbest things I've read recently.
Old 02-16-2011, 08:55 AM
10 Second Club

My question is the BMW reliability after modding.
From what i've seen from the N54 (x35i engine) it's decent if you don't push things too far.

As TT sedan can tell you, they have some fuel system issues. Carbon buildup is also a problem, high oil temps from road racing or even hot lapping at the dragstrip are also a problem.

Anything you do to increase flow for a turbo car increases the turbine speed. If the flow of the system increases, the turbine speed required to maintain the same boost level increases. Full bolt on cars running aggressive tunes for long periods of time can certainly kill the stock turbos. They are tiny turbos built for quick response and low pressure ratios, not to make big power. Keep the modding reasonable and it seems they are ok.

The benz is hugely detuned from the factory to prevent people from cross shopping with the AMG E-class. A tune is good for huge power with no compromise in reliability because the hardware is built for it.
Old 02-16-2011, 09:09 AM
Teching In

The c63 is a beast no doubt, but nodding it can get expensive fast. A tune is 3-4k, headers are 2-3k, exhaust is at least 2k.

The next big thing for the 335i is to get it ported and polished. This is said to increase HP by 40 on a stock car, and by 100 on a car running high boost. Cost is bout the same as a top of line tune for c63.

http://pawmotorsport.squarespace.com...shed-head.html

600whp shouldn't be too far away, but we do need more fuel.
Old 02-16-2011, 10:04 AM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

.....and I say race gas is for sissy's who did'nt buy a car with a big enough motor.
Way to make yourself look intelligent

I guess those guys running 7s or lower 105+mm turbos with huge boost #s should just run 93, since only pussies use race gas

That's what all the DI guys seem to be saying. SS/TC's, MS3s, and the 135/335 guys run into a barrier with the fueling.
Old 02-16-2011, 10:56 AM
10 Second Club

Received 451 Likes on 355 Posts

Originally Posted by The Manalishi
Seriously? That has to be one of the dumbest things I've read recently.
That's the way I roll.....$3-$4 gas is bad enough....If you want you can volunteer to pay $8-$10 for per gal for pump as race gas is and maybe I can get pump for me a little cheaper. Not race gas fan.....and not a fan of people running race gas at the track to get a # and then saying how fast their **** is and then not even knowing what it runs on pump and claiming it to be a street car....read my lips.... RACE GAS=RACE CAR....I have a street car.
And as for you WSsick...far more intelligent than you with a screen name like that and a Z28 in your sig....

Last edited by HioSSilver; 02-16-2011 at 11:03 AM.
Old 02-16-2011, 11:58 AM
Teching In

That's the way I roll.....$3-$4 gas is bad enough....If you want you can volunteer to pay $8-$10 for per gal for pump as race gas is and maybe I can get pump for me a little cheaper. Not race gas fan.....and not a fan of people running race gas at the track to get a # and then saying how fast their **** is and then not even knowing what it runs on pump and claiming it to be a street car....read my lips.... RACE GAS=RACE CAR....I have a street car.
And as for you WSsick...far more intelligent than you with a screen name like that and a Z28 in your sig....
So you run dr's on the street? Pretty stupid

And Europe pays $7-8 per gallon for 91 octane. I tell myself this when I pay $7-8 per gallon of 100 octane lol.

But ya, with our shitty 91 octane gas in CA, I do frequently blend for 94 octane which comes out to about $4.75 a gallon.
Old 02-16-2011, 12:21 PM
9 Second Club

Wiring issues? What wiring issues? And the problems I've read about is failed turbochargers not failed engines. And these failures are from people hacking up their "chip" to make it run more boost without the fail safes in place.

But yes about 18-19 psi is about the upper range limit on these turbos, and u better be running meth or race gas or both. 18-19 psi and race gas is good for about 450 rwhp.
Yep, never heard of wiring issues being a prevelant problem. Fuel pump yes, turbo's and wastegate problems yes, no failed engines/wiring issues though.
BmW can still void your warranty with Dinan Tune
Your warranty isn't voided, but it is flagged as a Dinan warranty in the bmw system. The dealer will still honor the warrenty although I can't say what would happen if you take the car to a non dinan bmw dealer.
You should remove your tune before ever servicing the car. The AP is easiest, but having a piggyback like the JB3 will only take about 15 minutes to remove. As for tune, you can change some perameters with a jb3 and now jb4, but the real interesting thing is when Cobb releases thier pro tuner software. Should open up tuning similar to HPTuners for the lsx cars.
The c63 is a beast no doubt, but nodding it can get expensive fast. A tune is 3-4k, headers are 2-3k, exhaust is at least 2k.

The next big thing for the 335i is to get it ported and polished. This is said to increase HP by 40 on a stock car, and by 100 on a car running high boost. Cost is bout the same as a top of line tune for c63.

http://pawmotorsport.squarespace.com...shed-head.html

Head work is the next big thing but damn it's something like $2500-$3000. Only a matter of time before other rebutable options are out there for port/polishing the head on these cars.
I agree to an extent. I'll run 93 pump on my setup, but I wouldn't call a person running racegas something less just because that is his choice to run that gas.
So you run dr's on the street? Pretty stupid

And Europe pays $7-8 per gallon for 91 octane. I tell myself this when I pay $7-8 per gallon of 100 octane lol.

But ya, with our shitty 91 octane gas in CA, I do frequently blend for 94 octane which comes out to about $4.75 a gallon.
I'd probably mix too if I didn't have access easily to 93 octane.
Old 02-16-2011, 12:32 PM
10 Second Club

Received 451 Likes on 355 Posts

Well TT I guess you'll be calling alot of people on here stupid.....Besides if you noticed I have my 18"rim times listed too...although I've made some changes since then and I'm sure those times will be quicker too....the car was hitting the rev limiter berfore the traps on that run.
Old 02-16-2011, 12:38 PM
12 Second Club

....read my lips.... RACE GAS=RACE CAR....I have a street car.
People who want to win races run race gas. Do you even know the benefits of it? Obivoiusly not, or maybe you got beat by a Honda on race gas and are still bitching about it. Race gas is for those who don't mind spending extra money to win a race. In street cars, it's not like they run it all the time. Drive around on pump...race comes around, throw in the 110+ and have at it. Nothing wrong with trying to best your chances at winning.

As for my name, I made it when I was deadset on getting a WS6...then I changed my mind, but oh well. If you honestly think a person's intellect can be figured by a username, than I gave you wayyy too much credit in thinking you had more than 4 braincells.

Maybe I should judge your mental capacity on how poor your sentence structure is?? A 10 year old could write better than you. Better judge than a username for sure...

Quick Reply: ZYBORG C5 Z06 Vs the world (Viper, Corvettes, Cobras, Camaro, SRT4)