Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Honda S2000 vs Jetta

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2011, 10:25 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Stopsign32v
So explain why GSRs usually can make more power before breaking on stock motor. Seems 300 is limit on ls and 350 on gsr
This assumption is based off of...?

For one, theres 10x as many LS's out there then GSR's so alot more idiots half *** boosting them and breaking them.

GSR has higher compression, shorter stroke, and oil squirters to keep the stock cast pistons cool so that may have to do with it somewhat.

The main reason GSR's have "better flowing heads" is mainly just the larger valves. A P8R non vtec head has the same size valves, and flow benches almost identical. Better in some cases

Last edited by LightningTeg; 02-20-2011 at 10:37 PM.
Old 02-21-2011, 09:54 AM
TECH Resident

So explain why GSRs usually can make more power before breaking on stock motor. Seems 300 is limit on ls and 350 on gsr
Pistons/Rods of the LS are your initial limitation which is actually ~280whp... ask me how i know lol.

The LS head can work just fine, but as you know - vtec creates more power on the lobes than non-vtec..
So you can build either 1, just GSR head would make more (with all supporting parts, pistons rods, bearings).. The benefit of an LS block is the stroke and durability of the crank.. the stroke makes more torque and can take some SERIOUS power without breaking. Best combination in my opinion is a LS block and a vtec head. (LSVTEC)
Old 02-21-2011, 10:15 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by sujomatt
Pistons/Rods of the LS are your initial limitation which is actually ~280whp... ask me how i know lol.

The LS head can work just fine, but as you know - vtec creates more power on the lobes than non-vtec..
So you can build either 1, just GSR head would make more (with all supporting parts, pistons rods, bearings).. The benefit of an LS block is the stroke and durability of the crank.. the stroke makes more torque and can take some SERIOUS power without breaking. Best combination in my opinion is a LS block and a vtec head. (LSVTEC)
The cranks are virtually identical in terms of durability. And a better option would just be an LS crank and rods in a GSR so you dont have to do anything to the block to accept the head.
Old 02-21-2011, 10:21 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by LightningTeg
The cranks are virtually identical in terms of durability. And a better option would just be an LS crank and rods in a GSR so you dont have to do anything to the block to accept the head.
I've heard durability too, but I am no Honda Tech. Yea, thats an option too. Probably may as well if you are doing pistons and rods, etc. Need to kill the oil squirters if you do that though right? Then you do need the dowel (spelling) pins
Old 02-21-2011, 11:20 AM
Teching In

What do is the torque limit, so to speak, on the motors.

Granted Evo's are setup for boost from the factory, the golden rule is 400wtq for stock bottom end. People control the torque by how they ramp the timing and it makes the motor last longer. Unfortunately this wasn't really known until after mine had let go
Old 02-21-2011, 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by marc97taws6
Meaning you'll have to mod the G8

And tell your Z28 to stop breaking, damn it!
The G8 is getting modded either way, I'm just not sure what route I'm going to take yet.

Working on it with the Z28
Old 02-21-2011, 11:43 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by dsmfan95
What do is the torque limit, so to speak, on the motors.

Granted Evo's are setup for boost from the factory, the golden rule is 400wtq for stock bottom end. People control the torque by how they ramp the timing and it makes the motor last longer. Unfortunately this wasn't really known until after mine had let go
no idea but they dont mak alot of torque.
Old 02-21-2011, 11:51 AM

no idea but they dont mak alot of torque.
I bet if you overnighted parts from Japan then it would.
Old 02-21-2011, 12:17 PM
TECH Resident

And put 15 grand in or more.. it would decimate all
Old 02-21-2011, 01:04 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by sujomatt
I've heard durability too, but I am no Honda Tech. Yea, thats an option too. Probably may as well if you are doing pistons and rods, etc. Need to kill the oil squirters if you do that though right? Then you do need the dowel (spelling) pins
Well forged pistons dont need oil squirters so the benefit of more oil pressure from plugging them is why most people do it.
Old 02-21-2011, 01:23 PM
10 Second Club

Well forged pistons dont need oil squirters so the benefit of more oil pressure from plugging them is why most people do it.
That seems retarded to me.

First, the better cooling is beneficial to any piston.

If you want higher oil pressure run a high pressure pump.

Lastly, high oil pressure is not beneficial in the vast majority of applications. More pressure does not mean more lubrication, so to take from the pistons when it's not going to have much, if any benefit for the bearings makes no sense to me.
Old 02-21-2011, 01:26 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Beans
That seems retarded to me.

First, the better cooling is beneficial to any piston.

If you want higher oil pressure run a high pressure pump.

Lastly, high oil pressure is not beneficial in the vast majority of applications. More pressure does not mean more lubrication, so to take from the pistons when it's not going to have much, if any benefit for the bearings makes no sense to me.
Quick search I did I found this:

In our Honda race motors, we plug the oil squirters it's so hot in there that the oil drops that hit the piston cause dramatic temp. changes within the cyl. and thats a no no atleast for us. I have had long discutions with Earl Lasky (no one knows hondas better) on why the oil squirters are bad.. Now for a daily driven street car with 400-700 they are fine, no plus no minus... But with a high output motor, high temp high stress, it's just another factor in the stress dynamic of the cyl. and that sudden change is all a piston or the cly. wall needs to break. In our race motors we have a 2.2L 4cyl that has an Whp of 850ish in good weather thats 212 hp per cyl see how we need to maintain a constant.. :devillook
Take it or leave it, does make sense. Im curious as well.
Old 02-21-2011, 01:38 PM
10 Second Club

Take it or leave it, does make sense. Im curious as well.
Ah, so they don't do it for higher oil pressure, that's just a side effect.

I wonder if hondas warp cylinders from the temp difference or something? Seems like that might be an issue.

I'm sure temps in 850+hp mitsus are similar to those in hondas, and mitsu guys never plug oil squirters. Guys who boost the N/A cars (no oil squirters factory) machine the block and add them to extend piston life.

Our bocks are a thick chunk of iron, so i'm sure the thermal expansion is VERY different than most of the honda blocks.
Old 02-21-2011, 04:33 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Beans
Ah, so they don't do it for higher oil pressure, that's just a side effect.

I wonder if hondas warp cylinders from the temp difference or something? Seems like that might be an issue.

I'm sure temps in 850+hp mitsus are similar to those in hondas, and mitsu guys never plug oil squirters. Guys who boost the N/A cars (no oil squirters factory) machine the block and add them to extend piston life.

Our bocks are a thick chunk of iron, so i'm sure the thermal expansion is VERY different than most of the honda blocks.
How cylinders are open/floating essentially. Press fit into the block vs your closed deck.

Stock sleeves are iron with aluminum outer shell. Aftermarket usually goes to a solid ductile iron sleeve. But most of them are still open deck.

Quick Reply: Honda S2000 vs Jetta