Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Modded SRT-4

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2004, 11:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Modded SRT-4

I was cruising on the highway coming back from the mall to go to the gym and my exit was coming up, when all of a sudden these teens in a Grand Am are looking and pointing at my car and then I see a Neon SRT-4 in the rear-view.

I was like ALRIGHT! I havn't had a race since last year!

(I pulled the car out because it was a nice day....36deg. and sunny)

They pull up beside me boosting up the motor and poppin the blowoff valve. I look over and just give 'em a **** eating smirk and laugh. He obviously didn't like this and took off like a bat outta hell. The car was definately modded and had the boost turned up quite a bit. He also had a lot of stickers on the front fender just behind the wheel.

I pull up beside him and drop it into 4th at about 73mph...then I think....naw, i wanna embarrass his *** (he had a skinny friend in his car he was trying to impress). So I drop it into third, I wait for him to go and he just sits there. I motioned for him to go and he's like WTF? (like i'm gonna get smoked or something )

He leaves and I punch it. I immediately blow past him and had about 2 cars on him to 100. Hit a hard 4th and continue to pull like a freight train. I let up at about 115 and let him catch up. I look over and they are stunned.

I was feeling generous because of getting my first race in a looong time and gave them a thumbs up. He returned the favor and I got off the highway 2 exits past mine and turned around and drove back the other way. All the while feeling great....my hunger was satisfied. What a great Friday The 13th!
Old 02-14-2004, 11:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice kill, I'm assuming you were in the T/A?

SRT-4s are awesome. I'd love to have one as a daily driver, but that's about it. I bet they're fun little cars, and they've got some zip... The only thing that annoys me is the FWD- if it was AWD I'd be very impressed. Too bad about the gay stickers, though.

What're you gettin' done to your snake?

Edit- Holy crap, I didn't even realize yesterday was Friday the 13th until I read your post.
Old 02-15-2004, 12:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah, I was in the T/A. Love that car to death!! I don't think I'll ever sell it.

Snake is gettin a Twin Turbo. High 800 to low 900 rwhp.

I hope to get something good going on the T/A as well...as it is sorta my "roots" in the performance world. If I do it will definately be big cubes.

I would also like those cars a lot better as well if they had AWD. They would make a great all around car; snow, rain, shitty days when you don't wanna bring the f-body out. Definately a good daily driver! And you could still roast some mustang GT's in them. And at 19-20k out the door brand spankin' new, you can't really go wrong. Holy **** I sound like a sale's man!

Best of all is that the car did not sound like ***. It had no Fart sound to it....just a good grumble. The stock exhaust has no muffler, and sounds nice....for a 4 banger.
Old 02-15-2004, 12:34 AM
pdd
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Mike 01WS6
Snake is gettin a Twin Turbo. High 800 to low 900 rwhp.

nice kill
Old 02-15-2004, 06:55 AM
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Nice Neon kill. I haven't run across one of them yet.

How in the hell did you race on these roads? They are so damned cold. I tried going WOT in 3rd at 70mph and damn near killed myself. I can't even floor it in 5th or 6th at 50mph without getting all out of shape. I've passed up a few races as a result.
Old 02-15-2004, 01:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

800-900 rwhp!!!!!!! have fun with that one man!
Old 02-15-2004, 06:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by unit213
Nice Neon kill. I haven't run across one of them yet.

How in the hell did you race on these roads? They are so damned cold. I tried going WOT in 3rd at 70mph and damn near killed myself. I can't even floor it in 5th or 6th at 50mph without getting all out of shape. I've passed up a few races as a result.
It was 36 degreesaround here (with "hotspots" in the 40's) and not a spot of salt on the roads over here. I didn't mash it. Woulda gotten a little bit sideways and into his lane if I had. You just have to roll into it. By the top of third I could put the pedal to the mat (100-105mph).

Oh...my tires are a little bit underinflated right now because of the cold temps (aired up during 65-70 degree air). That may have helped a little bit with the traction problems. Today I rung her out with a nice 130mph blast down a deserted country road I know about. Nice and straight for miles on end with no roads or houses in sight.

I've seen a few SRT's around on the local College Campus here, but this is the first one I've come across while driving in a car that actually moves. This summer there will probably be a ton of them around here to put the smack down on.
Old 02-16-2004, 12:29 AM
On The Tree

what kind of how close was the SRT4? i heard that those can go like under 13 quarter mile...
Old 02-16-2004, 12:54 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by hondadream50
what kind of how close was the SRT4? i heard that those can go like under 13 quarter mile...
Considering this post with his user name, I think we have a true ricer on our hands.

A stock SRT-4 will generally run 13.8-14.2. As for them going "like under 13 quarter mile", any car can go 12s or less with enough money put into them.

By the way, check this fella's post history... Be ready for a laugh.
Old 02-16-2004, 01:10 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by enisguy
guy has a love for the hypertech and the duramax dont he
Old 02-16-2004, 01:21 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I heard from the import guys that those SRT-4s break parts a lot, and are "overtuned." I really am not a big fan of them. I think for a few extra bucks I'd go WRX as a DD. Just my .02
Old 02-17-2004, 09:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

He wasn't very close at all bud.

Sorry to ruin your dreams there. Condsidering my T/A came with a twelve second Trap Speed from the factory (traction is a bitch , but I've since fixed that), 108.3mph box stock and I've since added a few bolt-ons here and there, he didn't really stand a chance to a 110-111mph car. But he tried....I guess.

If you are thinkin about getting one of these...be prepared to mod the hell outta it to keep up with an LS1.
Old 02-17-2004, 10:04 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Mike 01WS6
He wasn't very close at all bud.

Sorry to ruin your dreams there. Condsidering my T/A came with a twelve second Trap Speed from the factory (traction is a bitch , but I've since fixed that), 108.3mph box stock and I've since added a few bolt-ons here and there, he didn't really stand a chance to a 110-111mph car. But he tried....I guess.

If you are thinkin about getting one of these...be prepared to mod the hell outta it to keep up with an LS1.

Never new a T/Z did a 12 sec quarter mile from factory? What did yu have to do it.

Besides I have a 2002 Z28 35th editon that I bet proably will beat a srt4.. But I just would kinda thought that those cars are preety quick for being front wheel drive..
Lets rocks............
Old 02-18-2004, 01:31 AM
On The Tree

Never new a T/Z did a 12 sec quarter mile from factory? What did yu have to do it.

Besides I have a 2002 Z28 35th editon that I bet proably will beat a srt4.. But I just would kinda thought that those cars are preety quick for being front wheel drive..
Lets rocks............
T/Z huh?? yeah he's just tarzan lol , and you really think an srt4 will beat your z28. Have you done any research at all. Do you read any mags what so ever.The srt your thinking of must have alot of stickers. maybe SLP stickers too huh??
Old 02-18-2004, 04:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Nice kill.
Old 02-18-2004, 04:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Lets rocks............
Lol both Z28's and "T/Zs" are LS1s same motor bud. Weight wise almost identical and both cars have been known to break 12s stock. The srt-4 runs mid to high 14's. Possibly 13's in the new ones with an amazing driver and drag radials. Pretty quick for a fwd car yes but (knot qwick eenuff). I still wouldn't mind having one but they aren't on the same level as ls1 f-bod, no matter what the ricers would like to tell you.
Old 02-18-2004, 05:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Considering this post with his user name, I think we have a true ricer on our hands.

A stock SRT-4 will generally run 13.8-14.2. As for them going "like under 13 quarter mile", any car can go 12s or less with enough money put into them.

OMG ROFL!
Old 02-18-2004, 05:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

Lets rocks............

Old 02-18-2004, 06:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Awww! Be Nice, LOL!
Old 02-18-2004, 11:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Let's put it this way Hondadream.....

The LS1 is like one of those guys that's naturally strong with a big build. The SRT-4 is like one of those little guys that has to use a ton of steroids just to keep up. All the bigger guy would have to do is workout occasionally while the little guy would have to bust his *** in the gym all day long.

Genetics (or in this case, engine platform) pays a huge role in power development.

Its all about what you start with; and the LS1 starts with twice as many cylinders. Which would you rather drive on the street. A car that's wound up like a top, or one that barely breaks a sweat while laying the smack down on most everything around? I'd take the latter, since I'd like a car that's going to last more than a thousand miles.

My advice....Quit thinking about those DAMN IMPORTS! <rant off> Stick with your Z. Yes there are many that run 12's stock. Many more should, but they suffer from insufficient traction, but the power is definately there.

Or you could go out and get a SRT-4 and watch just about every guy on this board fly past you. I don't know about you, but I like to win.