Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Had a run in with a Mach 1 and an S2000 tonight...

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2011, 10:17 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Had a run in with a Mach 1 and an S2000 tonight...

So my car is being sold Thursday and is making every effort to get every last dime from me. Friday my water pump decided to stop spinning, so it threw a belt and needed a water pump. Got it in tonight with help from a friend in about an hour and a half and went to go up to Advance to get some coolant since most of it was on my garage floor or the pulleys (causing an awful squeak).

As we are leaving Advance, I tell my buddy we'll take the long way home just to make sure it's running good. Just as we are pulling out, an S2000 that lives by my friend rolls by. This guy is always revving at us since my friend always has our cars parked out front, so I was glad to see him. He at least has exhaust but maybe some more stuff, don't know for sure. He was alone.

Take off in his direction, and he's driving pretty fast. He hits a red light getting on the highway....sweet! We follow him, and when the highway opens up to a full 4 lanes, we get next to him and I give him a 4th gear bellow at like 50 just to make noise. I hear him downshift and I know it's on.

Take off from 3rd around 55 (bad spot but oh well) and leave on his hit. Quickly stop his pull, and since he likes to rev at us, I returned the favor with a nice douchebagish "peace out" sign and nail 4th and proceed to jump out to a 4 or 5 car lead letting off around 100.

I wanted a race from my good spot, so I switch lanes behind him so I can avoid the traffic ahead and I honk it off from 60ish. 50mph later, I was 5 or 6 out. We come around a corner slowly since I figured he had enough *** whooping, but I was wrong. He wanted more.

I motion for him to take off but he didn't understand and rolls his window down. After a couple attempts, he finally heard me yell "I'll go on your hit" and downshifted. I told my friend I'd **** with him this time, since I have never really done it. I put it in 3rd from 45 (good 2nd gear territory) and he takes off. I floor it, stay door to door til about 65-70 where I would have normally shifted to 3rd and proceed to leave him a bus+ back after shutting down in 4th gear around 105, but notice he's coming up fast trying to do a fly by so I throw it back in gear just as he's coming around me as I slowed to ~90. He's still in it, about 3 cars out when I start to reel him in, hit 5th and just as I get to his bumper, he let's out with me blowing by him at 130.

At this point, he has to be done. Nope, he still wants more. I guess the being in the wrong gear gave him false hope. We slow down, my buddy yells "we'll go on your hit" but he said he wanted a 25 roll. We are like WTF? but oh well, he gets the hit from 25 and I spin a little but hit 2nd, and run out 3rd to 85ish and let out a bus+ ahead. He STILL wanted to race but I was done so my buddy just waved him off and we went our separate ways after getting off at the same exit.

We turn around and head back towards home the other way on the highway, when I tell my friend I'd love to see a stang to top off the night. About 3 miles down the road, I got my wish. We are talking and cruising in 6th around the speed limit when I see/hear a Mustang pull beside us, and notice it's a Mach 1, maybe with exhaust. At first, I thought it might be Mach Boy since it was Comp Orange, but it wasn't near loud enough so that went out of my head quick.

I drop it to 5th to see if he wants to play and give him some noise. I hear him downshift from a back of the tires and he comes flying up, so I grab 3rd as quickly as possible from 60ish (not great but not terrible) and pull about a car between my rear bumper and his front and let off at the top of 3rd for traffic.

Tried to get another run in, but he got off. He threw a thumbs up as we went our separate ways, I waved and headed home.

Another fun night of racing before the car is sold. I'm going to miss it. Oh well, I'll have another in the summer/fall.

[My mods are lid, LS6 intake, LTs, true duals, 3.73s, tuned.]
Old 02-28-2011, 10:22 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good kills, better park the car now before you break something else so you can sell it with a good last memory
Old 02-28-2011, 10:26 PM
TECH Resident

^^ What this guy said

and poor N/A s2000 lol
Old 02-28-2011, 10:34 PM
12 Second Club

Yeah yeah. I couldn't help myself. I have only got to beat on it maybe 3 or 4 times since November. It'll probably make 1 more journey to campus on Wednesday, but yeah I better quit while I'm ahead. Maybe I'll buy another car sooner, we'll see.
Old 02-28-2011, 11:16 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice kills, I guess some guys just don't know when to stop when they take a beating? Lol. When you ran the 12.66 was it on street tires? And what does the car put down to the wheels?
Old 02-28-2011, 11:29 PM
Tech Apprentice

nice kills sean
Old 02-28-2011, 11:32 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by LS1rob00
Nice kills, I guess some guys just don't know when to stop when they take a beating? Lol. When you ran the 12.66 was it on street tires? And what does the car put down to the wheels?
It was on 245 street tires. No idea what it puts down, never got it on a dyno. Stree tuen was half the price from the same tuner, so I went with that.

Originally Posted by Stopsign32v
nice kills sean
Thank ya ma'am.
Old 02-28-2011, 11:35 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by WSsick
It was on 245 street tires. No idea what it puts down, never got it on a dyno. Stree tuen was half the price from the same tuner, so I went with that.

Thank ya ma'am.
Wow, well you my friend can really drive then! It couldn't have been easy to hook up on 245 street tires.
Old 03-01-2011, 12:13 AM
12 Second Club

Wow, well you my friend can really drive then! It couldn't have been easy to hook up on 245 street tires.
Eh, I think I am an above average driver but not anything special. My best 60' on the 245s was 1.90 though.
Old 03-01-2011, 12:22 AM
10 Second Club

Nice kills.

It's probably going to be quieter in your buddy's neighborhood.
Old 03-01-2011, 12:56 AM
Staging Lane

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Nice kills...I'll be looking forward to your Location change after the hunk is sold
Old 03-01-2011, 03:40 AM
Staging Lane

IF guys would stop buying CRAP tires for there street tires that wouldn't be an issue. If a damned IRS GTO like mine can pull 1.6 60' times (1.9 on stock stall and bogging) then you guys gotta stop buying the pep boys specials and get real summer only tires.

BTW: nice kills. Like I said before, you;ve gotten into more races since you 'sold' your car then you got into in the preceding 4 months.
Old 03-01-2011, 06:27 AM
12 Second Club

I guess that could be true if it just bolt on or near stock power, I gotta run the Hoosiers at the track!
Old 03-01-2011, 10:15 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Beans
Nice kills.

It's probably going to be quieter in your buddy's neighborhood.
Hopefully it does. My buddy wants a piece of him now.

Originally Posted by snake95
Nice kills...I'll be looking forward to your Location change after the hunk is sold
I'll chance it after you run a 12.65.

Originally Posted by Sticks n Stones
IF guys would stop buying CRAP tires for there street tires that wouldn't be an issue. If a damned IRS GTO like mine can pull 1.6 60' times (1.9 on stock stall and bogging) then you guys gotta stop buying the pep boys specials and get real summer only tires.

BTW: nice kills. Like I said before, you;ve gotten into more races since you 'sold' your car then you got into in the preceding 4 months.
Thanks, and what you said is definitely true...but races are tough to be had here in the winter months anyways.

I bought crap tries, 245/50-16 Falken somethings, they were like $70/piece. I didn't see a point in buying nice street tires really, so I can see why people don't.

Originally Posted by gyrene2003
I guess that could be true if it just bolt on or near stock power, I gotta run the Hoosiers at the track!
This is true. The track was decently sticky so I didn't have too many traction issues. I don't leave hard so DRs weren't a necessity. I tried once to to a 5k dump because the track was sticking nicely and a got sideways through the 60' and ran a 13.9 with a 2.5 60 or something like that.
Old 03-01-2011, 03:28 PM
Teching In

Nice kills! Buying another Camaro?
Old 03-01-2011, 04:16 PM

Good kills, man! Always nice to get one last bit of fun in before you call it quits with the current ride.

Originally Posted by gyrene2003
I've been hearing great things about those Hoosiers and I think I'm gonna have to try them out this year.
Old 03-01-2011, 05:14 PM
TECH Resident

Ron if u wanna try Hoosier my boy can get em for a discount (his mom works for their dist center in CT)
Old 03-01-2011, 05:26 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by sujomatt
Ron if u wanna try Hoosier my boy can get em for a discount (his mom works for their dist center in CT)
Wouldn't your boy's mom be your wife, or something along those lines?
Old 03-01-2011, 06:19 PM
11 Second Club

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

good stuff!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-01-2011, 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by sujomatt
Definitely! I plan on getting a pair for my Weld wheels. Much appreciated