Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Beater Saab whooped by slow turbo Integra

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2011, 11:13 AM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Beater Saab whooped by slow turbo Integra

My truck ate a wheel bearing and i haven't had any time to wrench on the DSM lately, so i've been driving an extra car we've had in the family forever.

It's a 95 Saab 2.3L non-turbo, automatic, convertible.

In other words, it's possibly the worst car i've ever driven. Every time i borrow it, something breaks. You can literally feel the whole frame twist when you hit bumps, the suspension is beyond sloppy, the brakes? What brakes?

The worst part? The previous owner (10+ years ago) opted for a factory "upgrade".....A Saab "sport" cat-back...so on top of all its other flaws, it sounds like a clogged toilet.

Power is 150hp, but it's not light, so especially with an auto trans it's damn slow. It's probably in the mid 16s on a good day.

The one good thing about this car, I've saved $70 on gas in less than 2 weeks compared to what i normally spend. 28.4 MPG average over 1050 miles of mixed driving FTW!

Anyway, I ran into a cousin of Stopsign's, a boosted integra this morning. i started recording on my droid as soon as i realized he was going to hit the throttle. When he hit it, so did I. The Saab has a kickdown switch under the gas pedal that likes to stick, so it held 2nd gear when it should have used first...but it didn't matter.

The integra wasn't quick, but it looked like a rocket compared to the Saab. Note the lime green paint on the rims and lime green tow hook. I can only hope that i'll be fortunate enough to run into him in the Talon.

I wonder if the Teg owner knew i was trying...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M0YEVmu-xzM
Old 04-20-2011, 11:22 AM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That's an *** whoppin. What's up with the Talon? Something happen and I miss it?
Old 04-20-2011, 12:24 PM
10 Second Club

Received 458 Likes on 360 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

You have the best car ever....you can race and not break the speed limit and noone suspects anything.
Old 04-20-2011, 01:00 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by WSsick
That's an *** whoppin. What's up with the Talon? Something happen and I miss it?
A while ago i got a little knock, stretched the head studs and lifted the head.

The sheet metal intake mani i'm using sucks and cylinder 4 gets more airflow than the rest. You can't adjust fueling individually on the stock ECU, so cyl 4 runs the leanest, but the knock sensor is near cylinder 1. I had the car tuned at what i thought was the knock threshold, but it turned out i was getting more knock than the sensor was picking up.

I have the motor reassembled and ready to go, but i need to make a few changes and correct a few small problems, and i just haven't had time for it.

I'm also trying not to spend $ at the moment because i need to sign a lease for a summer house, and i'm shopping for a new DD.
Originally Posted by HioSSilver
You have the best car ever....you can race and not break the speed limit and noone suspects anything.
This is true. I hit like 75mph on that run.
Old 04-20-2011, 01:17 PM
TECH Resident

HAHAHAHA

You know what i Heard? I heard you have a saab decal on ur steering wheel in the DSM
Old 04-20-2011, 02:02 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Beans
A while ago i got a little knock, stretched the head studs and lifted the head.

The sheet metal intake mani i'm using sucks and cylinder 4 gets more airflow than the rest. You can't adjust fueling individually on the stock ECU, so cyl 4 runs the leanest, but the knock sensor is near cylinder 1. I had the car tuned at what i thought was the knock threshold, but it turned out i was getting more knock than the sensor was picking up.

I have the motor reassembled and ready to go, but i need to make a few changes and correct a few small problems, and i just haven't had time for it.

I'm also trying not to spend $ at the moment because i need to sign a lease for a summer house, and i'm shopping for a new DD.

This is true. I hit like 75mph on that run.
Ok still the head issue. I thought something new came up or something. Too many people to keep up with, 2 of my friend's just bought DSMs. One was building a 4G63/th350 conquest, but said **** it and bought a Talon...the other was building an older Galant to be an "f-body killer" but said **** it and bought a Talon. Too many damn imports!
Old 04-20-2011, 02:40 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by WSsick
Ok still the head issue. I thought something new came up or something. Too many people to keep up with, 2 of my friend's just bought DSMs. One was building a 4G63/th350 conquest, but said **** it and bought a Talon...the other was building an older Galant to be an "f-body killer" but said **** it and bought a Talon. Too many damn imports!
If they're both building drag cars i hope they bought auto talons with 6 bolt engines and 4 bolt rear ends...
Old 04-20-2011, 02:49 PM
12 Second Club

I haven't seen either car yet. I know 1 doesn't have a motor, dunno about the other. We'll see how it turns out though.
Old 04-20-2011, 04:49 PM
Teching In

I love the simulated wood grain on that Saab dash...very 'sporty". Just for that luxury feature, I would buy one.
Old 04-22-2011, 09:10 PM
Tech Apprentice

I told you them Integras were sick!
Old 04-25-2011, 11:48 AM
12 Second Club

You need to get your car fixed soon. It looks like you're dying for a race! lol
Old 04-25-2011, 12:47 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by usmc320
You need to get your car fixed soon. It looks like you're dying for a race! lol
Lol ive been dying for races for awhile, all the fast cars around here are garaged all winter