Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

How fast is a 2005 ish 911 Turbo? - Dead even

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2011, 01:45 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by speedtigger
This is a carbureted car. So, it is in the ballpark, just not dead on. Carb cars are not like a computer controlled fuel injection car that could be way off and dangerous. I set the timing at 32 total which is conservative for a carb car.
Man that's alot of timing for a ls engine. You don't want to be past 28 degrees tops: and with your setup you would/will find that 24-25 total degrees timing is all that you need. Been awhile since I saw a timing curve for a ls engine, but I do believe that the timing is all in by 3000rpms? Check around.

More timing is needed for less efficient engines. Less efficient mostly has to do with quench and combustion chamber swirl: areas where the lsx heads are hands and feet above the classic hotrod heads that usually needed 32-38 degrees total timing to run there best. Hell, even back then the total timing number that made the most power (assuming no pinging) was universally considered a barometer of the quality of the heads.
Old 07-28-2011, 02:23 PM
Old School Heavy

Received 60 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Sticks n Stones
Man that's alot of timing for a ls engine. You don't want to be past 28 degrees tops: and with your setup you would/will find that 24-25 total degrees timing is all that you need. Been awhile since I saw a timing curve for a ls engine, but I do believe that the timing is all in by 3000rpms? Check around.

More timing is needed for less efficient engines. Less efficient mostly has to do with quench and combustion chamber swirl: areas where the lsx heads are hands and feet above the classic hotrod heads that usually needed 32-38 degrees total timing to run there best. Hell, even back then the total timing number that made the most power (assuming no pinging) was universally considered a barometer of the quality of the heads.
Well, I am sure that has all proven to be true on your fuel injected engines. In fact, I have read all of that myself. But, if you cruise on over the carbureted LS section, you will see that guys are getting the best track results between 32 and 36 degrees. I was surprised to see that the carburetor made that much difference in timing preference too, but the results people are getting speak for themselves. As soon as I get to the track, I will throw a few different total timing settings at it and see what produces for my combo.