Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

01 z28 vs. 05 mustang + bolt ons- owned

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2011, 09:05 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Junk would be correct ...... the stock bottom ends in those cars are finished at 450 wheel. If you change the rod bolts in an ls they can way over 600 so you tell me.... they dont hold up... what can i say..... ls engines are very strong the weak points are the ringlands and rod bolts and thats under boost for the lands
Old 09-29-2011, 09:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by ls2foryou
Thanks for helping them understand..... The trucks are great. The 5.0 is a dam good car. idontrunelevens seems to have a problem with some of us putting our two cents in on a shitty 3 valve. When i explain an F body should outrun one.......the then my post does not add up or im narrow minded. Sorry to tell ya but a the only stock ford that i know of that runs elevens is the gt 40 and thats it. I dont think a new gt500 will get the job done bone stock. So in conclusion three valve cars can run 12s with mods im not saying they wont but its not a fourth gen with mods

Even though you see them everywhere, the 3V GT's aren't ****. They actually don't run too bad from what I've seen up to a certain point. I say that because I've heard they don't hold up too well to power, I think like 450rwhp is usually the point where you're pushing it on a stock bottom-end.

Also, factory 2011 GT500's are capable of almost low 11's with proper traction and the right driver, it's been done.
Old 09-29-2011, 09:13 PM
***Repost Police***

Here's why you come off as immature... You are calling an entire car junk simply because the engine isn't as good as the LS1. Which is ridiculous. The LS1 is certainly superior in power production to the 3V 4.6, but few would argue that the '05+ Mustang isn't a better overall car. Faster isn't everything to most people. Being able to buy one between 2005 and 2009 certainly helped as well. Don't take this as me bashing the 4th gen, because I love them.
Old 09-29-2011, 09:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Irunelevens
Here's why you come off as immature... You are calling an entire car junk simply because the engine isn't as good as the LS1. Which is ridiculous. The LS1 is certainly superior in power production to the 3V 4.6, but few would argue that the '05+ Mustang isn't a better overall car. Faster isn't everything to most people. Being able to buy one between 2005 and 2009 certainly helped as well. Don't take this as me bashing the 4th gen, because I love them.
I'd argue that, just because the Mustang is newer doesn't mean it's the "better" car, not for everyone at least.
Old 09-29-2011, 09:19 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by TransAmWS.6
Even though you see them everywhere, the 3V GT's aren't ****. They actually don't run too bad from what I've seen up to a certain point. I say that because I've heard they don't hold up too well to power, I think like 450rwhp is usually the point where you're pushing it on a stock bottom-end.

Also, factory 2011 GT500's are capable of almost low 11's with proper traction and the right driver, it's been done.

exactly .....450hp is nothing when you start getting the bug for big power. it cost an arm and a leg to make em go low elevens or high tens. and that aint **** anymore. nines are the norm nowadays good luck with that. i just got back from the ls fest and all kinds of cars were going low tens high nines and they had a fox or two in the nines with an NA ls in them.
Old 09-29-2011, 09:27 PM
***Repost Police***

I'd argue that, just because the Mustang is newer doesn't mean it's the "better" car, not for everyone at least.
Better interior, better build quality, better handling (for the most part), stronger diff... only thing that isn't really better about it would either be stuff that is purely opinion, or bang for the buck.
exactly .....450hp is nothing when you start getting the bug for big power. it cost an arm and a leg to make em go low elevens or high tens. and that aint **** anymore. nines are the norm nowadays good luck with that
When you are talking about "big power," the stock internals don't mean a thing.
Old 09-29-2011, 09:41 PM
Teching In

They have stock bottom end forth gens going high nines. The point is the cost ..... you can go faster. way faster for less with an ls car. i can build a junk yard 5.3 that would kill anything mustang you got, plus i can do it with a pickup truck..............
Old 09-29-2011, 09:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Better interior, better build quality, better handling (for the most part), stronger diff... only thing that isn't really better about it would either be stuff that is purely opinion, or bang for the buck.
Interior, I'd say that's opinion as well. My 11 year old Camaro has A/C, heat, power drivers seat, power locks, 500 watt stereo (factory Monsoon), I drive it every single day back and forth to college/work, and that's all I really need in a car to be honest. I personally wouldn't care about the extra gadgets and amenities you would get in an S197. You have a lot of other people out there that feel the same way too.

I tend to agree with the other stuff you mentioned though. However, the S197 platform Mustang's are still relatively new. I'd like to see how things hold up with them build quality wise once they have reached 13 years old or so like these F-Body's. If you look at SN95's and New Edge's, they seem to be about right on par with F-Body's when you compare how the two have held up as a whole over the years, I'd say.
Old 09-29-2011, 09:48 PM
***Repost Police***

How much power do those stock bottom end high 9s F-bodies make? And you are still missing the car vs. engine point.
Old 09-29-2011, 09:50 PM
***Repost Police***

Interior, I'd say that's opinion as well. My 11 year old Camaro has A/C, heat, power drivers seat, power locks, 500 watt stereo (factory Monsoon), I drive it every single day back and forth to college/work, and that's all I really need in a car to be honest. I personally wouldn't care about the extra gadgets and amenities you would get in an S197. You have a lot of other people out there that feel the same way too.

I tend to agree with the other stuff you mentioned though. However, the S197 platform Mustang's are still relatively new. I'd like to see how things hold up with them build quality wise once they have reached 13 years old or so like these F-Body's. If you look at SN95's and New Edge's, they seem to be about right on par with F-Body's when you compare how the two have held up as a whole over the years, I'd say.
I am not talking about gadgets. I am talking about how the car is put together.
Old 09-29-2011, 09:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

I am not talking about gadgets. I am talking about how the car is put together.
Yes, I know. It's a newer car, of course everything is way more solid with it, for now at least. Sort of like I said, let's see how everything is with them in about 6-7 years. F-Body's were thought to be put together OK too when they were brand new, look at all the rattletraps rolling around now.
Old 09-29-2011, 09:59 PM
***Repost Police***

As far as durability is concerned, I'm sure that is a wash.
Old 09-29-2011, 10:00 PM
Teching In

The engine is married to the car in my book......... yes the mustang has build quality that the f does not have......ok but who gives a **** when you buy a f body you mod them to kick ***, and they do.... those cars are making 600 wheel or so to go high nines the ten bolt sucks.... so a twelve bolt swap fixes that and your good to go. look.... my brother is a mustang nut he will never see my point no matter how many times i smoke his ***.. He bleeds blue. All his friends are stang guys i have raped them all with my catfish. At least they dont squeak ha ha . His best friend has a 11 kb 500 and he had to learn the hard way to.
Old 09-29-2011, 10:02 PM
Staging Lane

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

transamws.6, your not comparing the same thing. just because your fbody has the same "options" doesn't make it just as nice. its about the quality of materials and fit and finish and fbodies are one of the worst cars i have ever seen for that. and if you think your fbody is a "nice" car you obviously haven't driven anything else in your life.

and fwiw, my off road x, intake, tune, geared 3v ran a 12.9@107 on street tires. and with more mods (cams, lt's, 330whp) ran a 12.6@110 with a 1.73 sixty foot.

and yes while slow compared to a similarly equipped fbody, my mustang didn't drive like a 70's pickup truck. and that was worth it to me. to some its not and thats ok too. just know what else is out there and respect it.
Old 09-29-2011, 10:03 PM
***Repost Police***

The engine is married to the car in my book......... yes the mustang has build quality that the f does not have......ok but who gives a **** when you buy a f body you mod them to kick ***, and they do.... those cars are making 600 wheel or so to go high nines the ten bolt sucks.... so a twelve bolt swap fixes that and your good to go. look.... my brother is a mustang nut he will never see my point no matter how many times i smoke his ***.. He bleeds blue. All his friends are stang guys i have raped them all with my catfish. At least they dont squeak ha ha . His best friend has a 11 kb 500 and he had to learn the hard way to.
So what do you say to the guy in the Fox Body that says the same thing about your car?
Old 09-29-2011, 10:05 PM
Teching In

The new stang looks fantastic. i love the looks, paint and seats. the fifth gen camaro sucks the goddam paint came off in a thousand miles! i had one and sold it quick....
Old 09-29-2011, 10:13 PM
Teching In

So what do you say to the guy in the Fox Body that says the same thing about your car?

i say stuff like ok i will give you one more run .... but im still keeping your money. im joking here..... i never have many run ins with fox guys. on the real fast ones.. we have a mutual respect for sure. my car is not a race car so it makes those guys wonder whats up when i run them. it looks stock and sounds stock till the gates of hell open.
Old 09-29-2011, 10:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by V8EATR
transamws.6, your not comparing the same thing. just because your fbody has the same "options" doesn't make it just as nice. its about the quality of materials and fit and finish and fbodies are one of the worst cars i have ever seen for that. and if you think your fbody is a "nice" car you obviously haven't driven anything else in your life.
You completely missed my point with that. Never once did I say my old *** car's interior is just as "nice" as an 05+ newer Mustang, of course it's not. I was just saying it fits MY needs just fine for how I use it and interior is a subjective topic most of the time, different people like different things with cars. Interior's are one of those things that I don't put high on my list of priorities when it comes to cars, especially performance-oriented cars, plenty of other people feel this way as well.

Also, that "fit and finish" **** you all keep mentioning is sort of irrelevant when you're comparing these two cars. The S197 came out in 2005, the LS1 F-Body's have been out since 1998. For pretty much the second time now, let's see how great your "fit and finish" still is in about 6-7 years when the S197's have some years behind them like the F-Body's do.
Old 09-29-2011, 10:27 PM
Teching In

every f body i have ever had has great paint good seats the last one i sold the paint was so nice the guy who bought it the swore it was repainted. all the same paint since 1999. just got to keep up on em that all. 2010 paints sucks tho
Old 09-29-2011, 10:27 PM
***Repost Police***

Both cars brand new, no question.

Quick Reply: 01 z28 vs. 05 mustang + bolt ons- owned