Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

500 rwhp VIPER vs 500 rwhp SUPRA (VID)

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2011, 09:35 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Exactly.

Its kinda stupid to me. If i ever owned a supra id go to the shop and tell them simply this..

I want the fastest hitting 570 rwhp set up you know of.

Ive seen vids of these types of supras squeaking off high tens and just destroying people. Its not complicated or crazy expensive and can be obtained on pump gas..

Why these guys want a big *** turbo at 850 rwhp on c16 that is semi laggy only to run around all the time on pump at 600 rwhp and be superlaggy and get destroyed by that quick hitting 570 rwhp pump gas build is beyond me.

Im hopeing the supra I just raced will be a fine examle of a 650 rwhp supra set up properly. It rolled out pretty good for just 500 rwhp and could have defiently ran dead even with the last gtr i raced from 60-140 mph
Old 10-08-2011, 04:02 AM
Teching In

I seen a TX2K11 video of a low horsepower Supra I think like 450-500rwp, not sure. But from a dig he was giving it to a much higher horsepower Termi. I agree with the quickest hitting set up. No point in having 800hp for 1000rpms!
Old 10-08-2011, 06:21 AM
Launching!

Yep seen plenty of vids of 700-1000 rwhp supras running low 12s to high 11s.

But every once in a while ill see a vid of a 550-650 rwhp one that is just insane. Like a tornado ofdestruction at tne stripor on the street.

Such a mixed bag.

The gtr on the other hand. Aint never been a slow one lol.

Why cant the gtr engine and trannie be in a car that looks like the nsx! Or atleaste like the supra or 370z?

How about a coupe gtr with sleeker lines and 3500 pounds?

Screw it. Were talking bout japan here. Theyll never get the formula right like the americans
Old 10-08-2011, 11:06 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Killemall
Yep seen plenty of vids of 700-1000 rwhp supras running low 12s to high 11s.

But every once in a while ill see a vid of a 550-650 rwhp one that is just insane. Like a tornado ofdestruction at tne stripor on the street.

Such a mixed bag.
Thats because many people with Supras care more about numbers than how they actually perform and build setups that are only good on the highway. One thing to note about those Supras running 11's and 12's are that the VAST majority of them are on street tires. Put them on a legitimate tire and you will see them kick off 10's and 9's. Thats not so much the car but more about the mentality of the people who set them up.

They will run bullshit setups with 19"s on shitty street tires any expect to do 10's. Even with a laggy powerband its not like the Supra would do crappy at the strip if properly setup. Many of the 1100 to 1300whp Supras that are doing 8's and 7"s aren't making 1100-1300whp for long.

The gtr on the other hand. Aint never been a slow one lol.

Why cant the gtr engine and trannie be in a car that looks like the nsx! Or atleaste like the supra or 370z?

How about a coupe gtr with sleeker lines and 3500 pounds?

Screw it. Were talking bout japan here. Theyll never get the formula right like the americans
First of all the GT-R is a coupe. Secondly, the GT-R look was specifically designed to be unique. Now as far as getting the formula right IMO I think there are plenty of things they got right as there are plenty things in the American sports car forumla that I think are seriously neglected, like overall build quality.
Old 10-08-2011, 11:12 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Red_GHost
I dont get most "Big Turbo" guys.
This is what I would do...
I have "X" car, i want 600hp. So ill go with a turbo that would max out around 650-700hp.
Seems like most guys that want "600" opt for a 800hp turbo, the Result, Massive lag. Im i wrong here????
And Im pretty sure that with a Meth Kit, the supra would hang

Thats how some people are. Another thing is the smaller turbos that have awesome spool are actually more expensive than the big turbos that make lots of power but are laggy as ****. I just sold my old 74gts to get a dual ball bearing 7175. The turbo I have now is smaller and makes more power under the curve and max power as well. (850whp max vs 950whp)

Another thing about guys who get that big turbo is they want to know that they have that extra power on tap so when they want to go out on kill mode they can take down the big dogs. That's why I opted with my turbo and I have no regrets.

As far as that Supra hanging with the Viper, I think he would hang with a better driver.
Old 10-09-2011, 03:56 AM
Launching!

4 cars is 4 cars. Thats serious. I mean if the vipers a car or car and a half in front ok im with you. When the viper starts a gear higher than it has to and pulls 2-3 cars and pulls 4 cars starting in the right gear then that better driver argument is thrown out the window.

Similar weight and 200 more torque plus wayyyyyyyy more power under the curve are what created this outcome. Gonna need 600 rwhp to hang even with a great driver. And I beat the last 600 rwhp one over and over. So more like 600 plus to pull
Old 10-09-2011, 04:13 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by TheHitman
Thats because many people with Supras care more about numbers than how they actually perform and build setups that are only good on the highway. One thing to note about those Supras running 11's and 12's are that the VAST majority of them are on street tires. Put them on a legitimate tire and you will see them kick off 10's and 9's. Thats not so much the car but more about the mentality of the people who set them up.

They will run bullshit setups with 19"s on shitty street tires any expect to do 10's. Even with a laggy powerband its not like the Supra would do crappy at the strip if properly setup. Many of the 1100 to 1300whp Supras that are doing 8's and 7"s aren't making 1100-1300whp for long.

First of all the GT-R is a coupe. Secondly, the GT-R look was specifically designed to be unique. Now as far as getting the formula right IMO I think there are plenty of things they got right as there are plenty things in the American sports car forumla that I think are seriously neglected, like overall build quality.

Gtr built to look unique? It has the worst repuatation online for exterior. Do a google search on ugly gtr and you will be amazed how much the exterior is dissed. Even the gtr forums talked badly of tne desighn. It is an boreing car at that pricerange. Your supra or c5z do more visually and they are 37k and 55k respectively. Gtr's are 70-95k depending on the year ect. A 370z looks way better. I saw one the other day that was a nismo and i swear it was a porshe till i got close. On the otherhand my neibor bought a gtr and i passed it in his drivewzy like eight times just thinking it was an ultima or somthing. Even has the cheesy nissan badge on the back.

Very sweet car as far as performance. 0-60 in 3.3 is awesome. But the exterior looks out of place parked next to its low sleek sub 3400 pound competitors. Only way id buy one is for my wife. Wich may happen
Old 10-09-2011, 11:44 AM
On The Tree

Gtr built to look unique? It has the worst repuatation online for exterior. Do a google search on ugly gtr and you will be amazed how much the exterior is dissed. Even the gtr forums talked badly of tne desighn. It is an boreing car at that pricerange. Your supra or c5z do more visually and they are 37k and 55k respectively. Gtr's are 70-95k depending on the year ect. A 370z looks way better. I saw one the other day that was a nismo and i swear it was a porshe till i got close. On the otherhand my neibor bought a gtr and i passed it in his drivewzy like eight times just thinking it was an ultima or somthing. Even has the cheesy nissan badge on the back.

Very sweet car as far as performance. 0-60 in 3.3 is awesome. But the exterior looks out of place parked next to its low sleek sub 3400 pound competitors. Only way id buy one is for my wife. Wich may happen

It has a Nissan badge on the back because its well, a Nissan.

As far as your argument I do think the Supra guy would do better with a better driver. The guy in the vid didn't break boost and didn't seem like he could shift for ****. Now, I'm not saying that he would beat you but it would be a lot closer. There are many more aspects than engine capability in a mexico race.

Now again to address what you were saying earlier about Supra guys getting an 800rwhp turbo when they want to run 600whp, quite a few guys do that because the turbos that max out at 600rwhp won't make those power levels on pump gas. Some guys would rather make more power on pump gas and take a little lag then have to use race gas or E85 to make 600hp and have a slightly better powerband.
Old 10-09-2011, 09:06 PM
Teching In

As far as street tires, I know n FD 7 is lighter. But there was an old school jdm dvd with a 9 sec street tire rx7. What's the point of having massive power for like 2 seconds before u shift? If a big laggy turbo is a must, at least upgrade the valve train to rev a lot higher. Thus taking advantage of the power. I bet with a proper smaller turbo set up, u would beat 75% of the cars u would with the big turbo laggy one.
Old 10-09-2011, 10:45 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Red_GHost
As far as street tires, I know n FD 7 is lighter. But there was an old school jdm dvd with a 9 sec street tire rx7. What's the point of having massive power for like 2 seconds before u shift? If a big laggy turbo is a must, at least upgrade the valve train to rev a lot higher. Thus taking advantage of the power. I bet with a proper smaller turbo set up, u would beat 75% of the cars u would with the big turbo laggy one.
Thats what a lot of people do when they have a top end heavy car. They extend the redline to 8000+rpms and whatnot. Most of the newer turbo technologies out today allow you to have a turbo that makes 550-600whp on pump gas/800+ whp on race gas/E85 and still have a good powerband for both. The problem lies with the newer turbos and products that assist spool (Quick spool valves, etc) are VERY expensive.

Now you can even work with laggy setups. Break boosting is the number one thing to do if you are working with one as it allows you to make power when you need it.
Old 10-10-2011, 12:20 AM
Launching!

I always heretnistalk of brake boozting and have to chuckle to myself.

Yes the 550 hp turbo car can brakeboost off the hit and match the 500 hp na car.

But then they change gears and the na car is immediately placed back into its powerband while the turbo car is immediately placed into lag and loses a length. This happens over and over and then when they are both deep in fourth gear and the na car is 3 cars ahead and lets off at 140 mph the turbo car proclaims that he was running down the na car and would have passed!

Brakeboosting allows a better hit and thats it. It does nothing for the other 3 laggy gear shifts.
Old 10-10-2011, 08:21 AM
On The Tree

I always heretnistalk of brake boozting and have to chuckle to myself.

Yes the 550 hp turbo car can brakeboost off the hit and match the 500 hp na car.

But then they change gears and the na car is immediately placed back into its powerband while the turbo car is immediately placed into lag and loses a length. This happens over and over and then when they are both deep in fourth gear and the na car is 3 cars ahead and lets off at 140 mph the turbo car proclaims that he was running down the na car and would have passed!

Brakeboosting allows a better hit and thats it. It does nothing for the other 3 laggy gear shifts.
Thats if the person doesn't know how to drive. Nothing in racing is conclusive or set in stone, especially roll racing. You should know that after racing so many times.
Old 10-10-2011, 11:38 AM
TECH Resident

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

But then they change gears and the na car is immediately placed back into its powerband while the turbo car is immediately placed into lag and loses a length.
This may happen if the driver takes a bite of a cheeseburger in between shifts, or if their transmission gearing is so long they drop 3k rpm when shifting. Otherwise if the driver has rapid shifts to avoid dropping the rpm's way too low, what you mentioned really doesn't happen.

I've driven a few highly modified turbo cars, and lagging between shifts has never been an issue.

Like Hitman said, only if the person doesn't know how to drive.
Old 10-10-2011, 01:07 PM
Teching In

You have no idea. If that were the case where was the viper I destroyed in my civic between shifts? Oh still losing ground that's right lol.

Its really the driver. I never let any car jump out on me
Old 10-10-2011, 07:53 PM
Launching!

Poor poor lightingteg.

Look man. Obviously if one car is 700 pounds lighter than the other car than it dosent mater if its laggy or not.

You lookinme straight in the eye right here and right now and telling me that if you have two of the exact same cars both at 3500 pounds..

Only differance is one has a ls7 at 450 rwhp and the other has a 4 cylinder with turbos at 450 rwhp they will both Be equal in a race?

GTFO
Old 10-11-2011, 02:47 AM
Teching In

If a big turbo car hits full boost at 5.5K, and rev limit is 7.5k, if after every single shift is above 5.5k or higher, assuming ur quick enough on the go pedal, sure no lag. But what if in the same car the stock gear ratios land u at say, 4.5k, there is ur lag between shifts. Therefore a setup that hits full boost at 4.2k, even with less top end, I would give the small turbo the advantage. Ill take 80% of my max power for 3.5k rpm's over 80-100% power for 1.5-2k rpm's

Quick Reply: 500 rwhp VIPER vs 500 rwhp SUPRA (VID)