Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

So, I didn't get raped by the 2010 SS....

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2011, 09:33 AM
9 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by DietCoke
Why? I've had both, and still have a 5th gen. It's all relative to what you're used to... the stock C6 z06 i drove was disappointing.

The automatic 5th gens especially are TURDS, they barely dyno more then a late 4th gen (some less).
The auto's are turds, but that is due to that torque management crap that can be disabled easily with hptuners. 4th gens didn't have that disadvantage from factory like the 5th gen auto's did.
Old 12-28-2011, 09:42 AM
10 Second Club

Received 55 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by willizm
The auto's are turds, but that is due to that torque management crap that can be disabled easily with hptuners. 4th gens didn't have that disadvantage from factory like the 5th gen auto's did.
Actually, its due to them being turds IE: 4000lb boats that make 330 rwhp
Old 12-28-2011, 09:44 AM
Tech Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by necrocannibal
My 01 WS6 went 12.82 @ 110 mph stock down to the air filter.
Right
Old 12-28-2011, 09:57 AM
9 Second Club

330 rwhp, yes. It's not a 1:1 gear they are dynoed in either. It's more like a 1.15, that with an unlocked converter dont make for great numbers.
Old 12-28-2011, 10:00 AM
9 Second Club

Actually, its due to them being turds IE: 4000lb boats that make 330 rwhp
True they are heavy and in effect 'turds', but I just said what I said as you were comparing them to the 4th gens directly. There is a bit of difference because of the addition of that torque management crap in the l99 for the auto specific cars whereas the same ls1 is in both the auto and 6speed 4th gens.

Lol, I'm defending your 5th gen and you are praising my 4th gen. regardless your build is going to make for a bad *** car. What are you doing with the rear end?
Old 12-28-2011, 10:11 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by willizm
True they are heavy and in effect 'turds', but I just said what I said as you were comparing them to the 4th gens directly. There is a bit of difference because of the addition of that torque management crap in the l99 for the auto specific cars whereas the same ls1 is in both the auto and 6speed 4th gens.

Lol, I'm defending your 5th gen and you are praising my 4th gen. regardless your build is going to make for a bad *** car. What are you doing with the rear end?
The factory rear end will hold together just fine with an automatic I think. The weak link is the spiders, and since you can preload with an auto... shouldn't be a big deal. The gears are plenty strong. I've got big axles.

The 5th gen is a better overall car, no contest. This is the most comfortable car fast car I've ever been in. 4th gen better for (drag) racing. Mine needs a little more weight reduction, I'd like to see it donw to sub 3300, but it's going to take $$$ to get it there. It's about 3560 as it sits... but stock cars are a joke, especially ones with the shitty 6l80.
Old 12-28-2011, 10:13 AM
TECH Enthusiast

i think the whole time ive been working for the dealer ive only driven the auto L99 4-5 times and just have no desire to drive it at all. The manual to me is not slow and does pull well when you get up top in the rpms. Gm needs to put a smaller shift **** on those things, damn thing is massive. I think if your looking for a nice looking car thats pretty fast why not buy the 5th gen. Its really all preference in the end, i love my 4th gen and as many people back in the day basically people that didnt know much about cars would say our 4th gens are too heavy, i wonder what there saying about the 5th gens, lol. Even the new Evo is i think heavier now a days then our 4th gens.
Old 12-28-2011, 11:13 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Omega Doom
I concur! they make over 100rwhp more but weigh like 400lbs more as well could be off a little though?
I'd basically give ya the 400 lb part, but 100+ more rwhp, stock to stock? Not on THIS planet! That would require the 5th gen to put down OVER 430rwhp and you'll be lucky to see one approach 400rwhp when completely stock. None will see 430 or anything close, but we know of more than a handful of 4th gens seeing 300ish.

Make it easy though and figure the 4th gen at 300 even... Do ya really think the LS3 is dropping 400 to the dirt? ? ?

Originally Posted by Mike Morris
4th gen was fast as hell back in the day when new
That's something often lost in todays conversations. Many, perhaps most current 4th gen owners are young enough they simply don't know how much of a TERROR people thought the 4th gen was when it hit the streets in late 1997.

A little perspective... You'd have needed AT LEAST a new Corvette to outrun a brand new Z/28 in 1998(and that often wasn't enough). That is, a new 'vette or something modified to comparable status. Most cars couldn't even BEGIN to outrun a Corvette... Nobody with a new 1998 Z/28 was concerned about a new stock Mustang GT, a model long considered a high bar in drag racing. Nobody with the Z was concerned about a stock 300ZX, RX-7 or Supra either... Sure, those would cruise, but the LS1 4th gen was NOBODY'S fool, stock to stock. If you weren't running better than 12.90's, you'd have better brought your "A-game" to that race!

So when the 5th gen came out and showed us similar times, many were less than impressed. We immediately complained about its weight, but most of us hadn't yet taken note of other problems, like the MASSIVE rear brakes, preventing a quick and cheap wheel swap for better traction. We hadn't noticed how difficult it would be to get it to the weight we'd prefer either, while keeping it "normal" in the process. We weren't tuned in to what, if any, problems we'd encounter with traction or outward vision... We just saw HEAVY... Heavy and all, it will lay waste to a stock 4th gen on nearly any track.

Bottom line is, the 5th gen is more car than a 4th in essentially every facet. To think the LS1 is simply better than the LS3 OR L99, however, since it seems to keep up in a straight line, is a fat mistake. It's not as good, let alone better. They may seem "weak" to many for whatever reason, but they've got potential... They're called "upgraded" for a reason.
Old 12-28-2011, 11:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks for the props guys....even though I lost LOL

I like the new SS Camaro, but I like the f body more.

runtwrestlin, no I didn't get a chance to talk to him, I had to turn around and go get my food.

Thanks for all the tips too guys. I will be getting LT's, exhaust, a cam, ls6 intake, converter and a tune in the near future, I just need to save my pennies again.
Old 12-28-2011, 11:42 AM
10 Second Club

Received 412 Likes on 330 Posts

Dietcoke what do you dd in?
Old 12-28-2011, 12:23 PM
10 Second Club

I've got a 98' Saturn Sc1/Truck and occasionally i'll drive the wife's 10' mazda 3 hatch

Old 12-28-2011, 12:47 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by sepsis

runtwrestlin, no I didn't get a chance to talk to him, I had to turn around and go get my food.

Thanks for all the tips too guys. I will be getting LT's, exhaust, a cam, ls6 intake, converter and a tune in the near future, I just need to save my pennies again.
dont forget the tranny cooler.
Old 12-28-2011, 12:49 PM
TECH Addict

I've got a 98' Saturn Sc1/Truck and occasionally i'll drive the wife's 10' mazda 3 hatch

I'm just guessin' here, that you're not really close to the neighbor with the (apparent) H2??? That crate could've slid right inside the SUV, but it's absolutely HILARIOUS to see it atop the car, WITH the Hummer sitting there!
Old 12-28-2011, 01:05 PM
9 Second Club

What are your mods arctic?
Old 12-28-2011, 01:10 PM
Teching In

k&n fipk, ported maf, ported tb, egr delete (ls1 intake), ac delete, headers, ory, chokemaster, jasper tanny, 26kgvw tranny cooler, untuned with stock stall for now
Old 12-28-2011, 01:13 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by It'llrun

I'm just guessin' here, that you're not really close to the neighbor with the (apparent) H2??? That crate could've slid right inside the SUV, but it's absolutely HILARIOUS to see it atop the car, WITH the Hummer sitting there!
It didnt fit, we tried. Came REALLY close, but neither of us wanted to take the third row seat out of that big bitch. The crate was empty, and only traveling 1/2 mile, so whatever
Old 12-28-2011, 01:13 PM
9 Second Club

Any track times? I should have a vid up by about 8.
Old 12-28-2011, 01:21 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Rhino79
Any track times? I should have a vid up by about 8.
had it to the track when it was stock, to embarrassing to post times . car wouldnt get traction, best 60 foot was a 2.5. buddy said with tires and tune i should be good. i know after the headers from a roll it was like a new car
Old 12-28-2011, 01:45 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by sepsis

If you have a couple hundred dollars laying around you might want to look at getting some lower control arms with relocation brackets. They will help the backend squat a little better. I second the tranny cooler. Stalls create more heat and getting a supplemental tranny cooler is a must.
Old 12-28-2011, 01:56 PM
Teching In

This is a video of my '99 TA, bone stock down to the filter.

http://youtu.be/Prx0mox4ay8

Quick Reply: So, I didn't get raped by the 2010 SS....