Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Slow SRT8 Jeep vs TBSS

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2012, 05:12 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Damn, he's only putting down 298AWHP? That doesn't sound right. Those are stock numbers
Old 04-17-2012, 05:22 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by AWDTBSS
Like 50-100ish I don't remember the elevation its Infineon Raceway. DA on both were from +300-1000
Just a little interesting bench racing, don't shoot me, I realize there are a few variables that could change things.

Sea level corrected time for you with a 1000' DA would put you at a 13.068.

The Camaro I am racing in this video is a proven 14.1@ 99 car at our elevation. He has ran it a half dozen times. This race was to 105, so we definitely covered an entire quarter mile. And I didn't have my CAI yet in this race.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hT3esXe0tjU

The DA on one of the days he ran the 14.1 was 6700. Convert that to sea level and you get a 12.906. So I am guessing I am right there if not a little bit faster. So if you and I were to theoretically race at the same elevation, I don't think your TBSS would have pulled me.

I'll be able to put the guessing away on my exact et on the 28th of this month when our local track opens as long add the weather isn't shitty. We don't get the luxury of a track open all year unfortunately.
Old 04-17-2012, 05:36 PM
TECH Regular

Hard to make judgements with that kind of drastic change in elevation, I mean running 12.9 in a stock jeep is really out of the ordinary. Just going off what locals here run in Jeeps at the same track in comparison.
Old 04-17-2012, 05:50 PM
On The Tree

There is always the chance that my particular Jeep is a factory freak if you will. I don't know.

I really should get it tuned the way it sits, but I can't justify paying $350 for a dyno tune when I don't NEED it right now. I'll wait until my cam swap to get it tuned.
Old 04-17-2012, 06:09 PM
TECH Regular

I don't see 12.9 happening at any normal track in a stock Jeep. If your just gonna cam it soon I'd wait just to save money and put it towards headers or ported Intake
Old 04-17-2012, 06:10 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That TBSS is setup like junk... i was running 12.5 with a similar combo

J-U-N-K
Old 04-17-2012, 06:15 PM
11 Second Club

the GC srt8 is quick because of it's stock stall and shorter first gear. when you negate that with the converter in the SS, along with the Efans (like the jeep has from the factory) it's an equal race most time the TBSS coming out on top.

I used to run a couple of them, friend's at atco back in '06 and they with LT's, fan mods, CAI, cat back, me the vig, UDP, Efans and CAI, stock exhaust no headers. I used to run 12.5's to their 12.7's all day long. Tell the guy with the TBSS to get a different converter and/or driver mod. he needs it.
Old 04-17-2012, 06:19 PM
On The Tree

I don't see 12.9 happening at any normal track in a stock Jeep. If your just gonna cam it soon I'd wait just to save money and put it towards headers or ported Intake
I'm not stock though. My two mods might not be at full potential without a tune to tie them together, but it's not like they don't do anything either.

I'm not going to bother with headers, as the stock mufflers flow pretty good for what they are. A ported intake is definitely on my list of future mods though.
Old 04-17-2012, 07:03 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Jay z28
I'm not stock though. My two mods might not be at full potential without a tune to tie them together, but it's not like they don't do anything either.

I'm not going to bother with headers, as the stock mufflers flow pretty good for what they are. A ported intake is definitely on my list of future mods though.
full LT's (Kooks to be exact) dropped those guys more than .3 But you do what you "think" will work lol

buck the trend bro..usually works out so well
Old 04-17-2012, 07:13 PM
TECH Regular

A muffler delete isnt adding any power only thing it does is drop weight. as for the CAI I'd have to look on the jeep forums to see what most people say but I doubt it adds much if any without the tune.
If your gonna do a cam worth getting (pending you dont have to worry about smog) why not do headers they go hand and hand
Old 04-17-2012, 07:42 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by TonyGXP
full LT's (Kooks to be exact) dropped those guys more than .3 But you do what you "think" will work lol

buck the trend bro..usually works out so well
I don't recall asking for any opinions from the SS nut swingers group about what mods I should do next, but what the Hell, I'll bite.

I can think of a couple of things I would do mod wise before dropping $1700 on headers for a measly 3 tenths. Maybe when I run out of other NA mods, I'll look into it, but for that chunk of change, I can do the cam swap, ported intake, and a TB plus a tune to tie it all together and I doubt the stock manifolds will be restricting enough that I'll regret still having that extra $1700 in my pocket.

Worry about your superior SS and I'll worry about my mods. K? Thnx.
Old 04-17-2012, 08:11 PM
TECH Regular

what other NA mod would you do without doing headers if your planning on Cam, Ported Intake, Ported TB, and tune when you already have CAI? Mine as well get the most out of that setup
Old 04-17-2012, 09:15 PM
On The Tree

what other NA mod would you do without doing headers if your planning on Cam, Ported Intake, Ported TB, and tune when you already have CAI? Mine as well get the most out of that setup
Stall? It's good for 6 tenths, right?

I never once said that Headers don't net some gains, but for $1700 I don't feel it is worth the money when I can get more than 3 tenths with the same amount of money.
Old 04-17-2012, 09:26 PM
TECH Regular

On a TBSS it is since they come with a terrible stall stock, but Jeeps have a good size one stock hence why they launch so hard stock. I hardly see people with Jeeps get stalls
Old 04-17-2012, 10:13 PM
Staging Lane

Hard to make judgements with that kind of drastic change in elevation, I mean running 12.9 in a stock jeep is really out of the ordinary. Just going off what locals here run in Jeeps at the same track in comparison.
Do some research. There have been plenty of 12sec STOCK Jeep SRT8's.

On a TBSS it is since they come with a terrible stall stock, but Jeeps have a good size one stock hence why they launch so hard stock. I hardly see people with Jeeps get stalls
Wow...Go on the cherokeesrt8.com and see how many stalled jeeps you can count. They come with a slightly higher stall than the lx cars with the same exact transmission. What gives them their hard launches is the 3:73 gear.
Old 04-17-2012, 10:31 PM
TECH Regular

plenty? I've only ever seen 2 on the Jeep forums....and ya I hardly ever saw them getting stalls when I would browse on their forum a while ago, saw Cam'd, bolt on, or s/c'd jeeps hardly any ever had stalls maybe things have changed now
Old 04-17-2012, 11:18 PM
Staging Lane

plenty? I've only ever seen 2 on the Jeep forums....and ya I hardly ever saw them getting stalls when I would browse on their forum a while ago, saw Cam'd, bolt on, or s/c'd jeeps hardly any ever had stalls maybe things have changed now
Yes plenty. Look harder. As far as stalled jeeps, I know of at least 6 we've put higher stalls in and this is in a very small new orleans area...
Old 04-17-2012, 11:28 PM
TECH Regular

well i searched and only found 2, as for stalls maybe its changed never really noticed them doing that since they were getting good 60s stock and modded
Old 04-17-2012, 11:53 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Jay z28
Just a little interesting bench racing, don't shoot me, I realize there are a few variables that could change things.

Sea level corrected time for you with a 1000' DA would put you at a 13.068.

The Camaro I am racing in this video is a proven 14.1@ 99 car at our elevation. He has ran it a half dozen times. This race was to 105, so we definitely covered an entire quarter mile. And I didn't have my CAI yet in this race.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hT3esXe0tjU

The DA on one of the days he ran the 14.1 was 6700. Convert that to sea level and you get a 12.906. So I am guessing I am right there if not a little bit faster. So if you and I were to theoretically race at the same elevation, I don't think your TBSS would have pulled me.

I'll be able to put the guessing away on my exact et on the 28th of this month when our local track opens as long add the weather isn't shitty. We don't get the luxury of a track open all year unfortunately.
I'm sure it would have been a decent race between you two. Notable though, is that AWDTBSS would ALWAYS go to the track with a full tank of gas. That definitely wasn't helping him so I'm sure he could have knocked off a decent amount of time with the plug fixed and less gas.

Your car runs good though
Old 04-17-2012, 11:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

well i searched and only found 2, as for stalls maybe its changed never really noticed them doing that since they were getting good 60s stock and modded
Even with the stock stall the jeep dosnt shine at the track like they do the street. My friends jeep can't launch hard at the track like it can on the street. Needs a bigger stall Or a better one

Quick Reply: Slow SRT8 Jeep vs TBSS