Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Slow SRT8 Jeep vs TBSS

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2012, 03:07 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've beat all the SRT-8s I have raced. Which aren't but a handful. On radials(12.7@106)... no contest. On my pc'd 20s with all seasons, getting out of the hole is a rough feat. I still managed a 13.1@104 with a 2.0x 60'. My mods currently are CAI/ tune/ SW 1 3/4" headers/ servos/ 278mm 3200 stall/ e-fans/160* stat. Of course other things like a muffler, trans cooler, exhaust leak, winow tint are all reasons why I am as "fast" as I am.

Jeeps are sick, I am actually a big fan of them. They are quick as hell and def run the advantage in stock or nearly stock form, but TBSS's are no slouch when tuned correctly. That TBSS was robbed of $350 as far as I am concerned. I would be getting my money back.
Old 04-19-2012, 12:50 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by GotHemi?
Do some research. There have been plenty of 12sec STOCK Jeep SRT8's.

Wow...Go on the cherokeesrt8.com and see how many stalled jeeps you can count. They come with a slightly higher stall than the lx cars with the same exact transmission. What gives them their hard launches is the 3:73 gear.
AFAIK TBSSs have 4.11s (at least mine does) and with a 4 speed versus the 5 on the SRT. I think the 5spd's first gear + bit higher stall + less weight that make them launch better stock.
Old 04-19-2012, 01:57 PM
Launching!

Awesome vids!!
Old 04-19-2012, 03:09 PM
Teching In

Received 115 Likes on 87 Posts

With his mods, I don't think he shouldve been pulled like that, but who knows. Should have gotten a 2wd.
Old 04-19-2012, 09:09 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

friend's new, less than 250miles first tank of gas in his GCSRT8 was pulling low 1.8 60's.... the stall in that truck + low first is everything. After mods, he was almost shifting out of 1st as he left the gate..

I have probably DRIVEN more modded GC SRT8's than most of you in this thread have sat in.. Vortec SC stroked, Turbo, Twin Turbo, H&C, mild bolt on, Stock, Vortec SC N2o... As for TBSS's i have driven 10x that amount. at the track, on Dyno. Stock v Stock Jeep will ALWAYS win from anywhere low-high speed. it's designed far superior to the drop an LS2 and 4.10 ring gear TBSS. Having said that, it's easier to go faster in a TBSS than a Jeep. they suck to tune, they're a PITA when it comes to the trans and open rear diff once it makes power.

I usually don't go down this road but this is an area i am well versed in so to the fastest GC SRT8 this side of the equator, enjoy your waste of a cam change lol.. buck the trend, see it everytime i stop by the shop. we LAUGH after people like yourself try to get answers out of my friend's shop usually via phone from 10 states away... if they would just learn from other's mistakes???
Old 04-20-2012, 11:43 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by TonyGXP

I usually don't go down this road but this is an area i am well versed in so to the fastest GC SRT8 this side of the equator, enjoy your waste of a cam change lol.. buck the trend, see it everytime i stop by the shop. we LAUGH after people like yourself try to get answers out of my friend's shop usually via phone from 10 states away... if they would just learn from other's mistakes???
What a tool. I never once said my rig was fast, let alone the fastest "on this side of the equator." I also never said anything about trying to build the fastest GCSRT8 in the world either. If that is what I wanted then of course I would drop the thousands upon thousands of dollars and get every mod under the sun. That isn't what I'm after. Right now I am looking at HP vs $ and deciding from there. $1700 for just the headers vs $approx $900 for parts for the cam swap. 30HP from headers vs 40-50HP from a cam. Which would you really choose?

I really don't care how many modded cars you have been in. If bragging about that makes you cool in your circle of friends, more power to you, but I'm not impressed. As for my choice of mods, don't make the mistake of thinking that I didn't research before making my mod choices. This isn't my first rodeo. And who knows? Maybe when I have boat loads of disposable income, then I'll take the hit for Headers.

As for the races in this thread. I am not saying that it isn't possible that the TBSS's tune is off, but who cares? Those are his mods and it isn't my fault his truck wasn't up to the task of taking on the Jeep. And if he figures out his supposed issues before he moves to Florida at the end of the month, then I would love to run him again. I do this for fun, not so much for the competition.
Old 04-20-2012, 02:09 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Jay z28
What a tool. I never once said my rig was fast, let alone the fastest "on this side of the equator." I also never said anything about trying to build the fastest GCSRT8 in the world either. If that is what I wanted then of course I would drop the thousands upon thousands of dollars and get every mod under the sun. That isn't what I'm after. Right now I am looking at HP vs $ and deciding from there. $1700 for just the headers vs $approx $900 for parts for the cam swap. 30HP from headers vs 40-50HP from a cam. Which would you really choose?

I really don't care how many modded cars you have been in. If bragging about that makes you cool in your circle of friends, more power to you, but I'm not impressed. As for my choice of mods, don't make the mistake of thinking that I didn't research before making my mod choices. This isn't my first rodeo. And who knows? Maybe when I have boat loads of disposable income, then I'll take the hit for Headers.

As for the races in this thread. I am not saying that it isn't possible that the TBSS's tune is off, but who cares? Those are his mods and it isn't my fault his truck wasn't up to the task of taking on the Jeep. And if he figures out his supposed issues before he moves to Florida at the end of the month, then I would love to run him again. I do this for fun, not so much for the competition.
read this very slowly, so you can comprehend it:

A CAM CHANGE ISN'T GOING TO NET YOU WHAT YOU THINK IF YOU DON'T CHANGE THE FLOW RESTRICTION IN THE STOCK MANIFOLDS. that's all anyone on her is trying to explain to you.

As for cool? i stopped being "cool" when my kids started driving. It's about real world experience in trying to aid some misguided people throwing money at something. free advice. what we do on these forums, to help. feel glad that LS guys are helping you to go fast and not slamming you, like they would on other boards. And yes, the TBSS is setup like garbage, but not an excuse, just an observation from someone that's been racing, building, observing them since they came out. i bought mine in Jan '06. enjoy, best of luck with your build.
Old 04-20-2012, 03:00 PM
On The Tree

I don't understand why you are getting so bent that I am not listening to your advice. Advice that I didn't ask for in the first place. I'm going to do what I choose and you have the luxury of not having to deal with the consequences of my choices, whether the consequences are good or bad. Let's just leave it at that, mmmkay?
Old 04-20-2012, 03:25 PM
12 Second Club

SRT8 JGC are the **** - period.
Old 04-20-2012, 03:27 PM
Teching In

Tony, dont bother. Just realized this guy owned a grand prix, I have yet to meet a current or former GP owner who doesnt have his head up his
Old 04-20-2012, 04:27 PM
On The Tree

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by BlkMach1
Tony, dont bother. Just realized this guy owned a grand prix, I have yet to meet a current or former GP owner who doesnt have his head up his
Do all TBSS owners hold other TBSS owner's dicks while they **** in other user's threads?
Old 04-20-2012, 04:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

He was also probably one of the ones that argued GP GXPs are hard to launch
Old 04-20-2012, 04:57 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by marc97taws6
He was also probably one of the ones that argued GP GXPs are hard to launch
Not too bad to launch actually. The only thing hurting my 60' was the 7000+ DA. I was still able to cut a 2.1 60' though in a exhaust only GXP. Not too shabby for a fwd, I don't think.
Old 04-20-2012, 08:02 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Jay z28
Do all TBSS owners hold other TBSS owner's dicks while they **** in other user's threads?
You just mad no one is holding yours.
Old 04-20-2012, 10:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Just because he owned a gp? Lol I bet his gp would give your tbss Hell lmao
Old 04-20-2012, 11:25 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by theblacknightls1
just because he owned a gp? Lol i bet his gp would give your tbss hell lmao
lmmfao!
Old 04-21-2012, 04:17 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Theblacknightls1
And your assumption is based on???......
Old 04-22-2012, 03:29 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Theblacknightls1
Don't underestimate a TBSS, they are just like any there are slow ones then there are stock freaks.
Old 04-29-2012, 02:28 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by AWDTBSS
I don't see 12.9 happening at any normal track in a stock Jeep. If your just gonna cam it soon I'd wait just to save money and put it towards headers or ported Intake
I know this is kind of old news, but thought I would update after I finally took my truck to the Racetrack. No more bench racing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=huI8abCII8c

DA-4709. Rocky Mountain Raceways, UT 4-28-12 @ approx 3:45 pm. Do the math and it comes to a 12.95 @ 106 mph. Looks like stock SRT8 Jeeps ARE capable of 12's. Huh...
Old 04-29-2012, 05:03 PM
TECH Regular

still doubt it, hard to even compare your correcting 4700da........let alone the 106 trap

Quick Reply: Slow SRT8 Jeep vs TBSS