Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Buick Grand National vs 2005 CL55 AMG

Old 04-20-2012, 09:20 PM
On The Tree

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Default Buick Grand National vs 2005 CL55 AMG

Hey guys. This is my first post in the LS1Tech forum. My name is Zack, and I am 17 years old. I spend most of my time over at Turbobuick.com where I feel at home with my little 6 banger! I joined this site to research an LS1 swap in my Dad's 84 GN. We most likely will not be doing it, and scrapping the project.. Very sad.. But we are looking for an older GTO to resto-mod for him. You all seem like a good bunch of people, and I look forward to getting to know some of you. Anyways.. On to the story!

I was cruising the new 44 heading home from the movies, doing a modest 70 MPH. In my rear-view I spy this silver Mercedes riding my tail. There was a guy next to me, so to help the guy out I sped up so he could pass us both. Little did I know he was actually looking for a run. He guns it past me. I could hear his engine roar to life. This car pulled hard, what the hell is it? As he came around me, I noticed the badge: AMG.. I knew this was no slouch. This particular AMG (I later found out) put down 500 HP and 520 ft/lbs. Since the road is clear ahead and there was not a peep from the radar detector.. I thought "What the Hell" and gave chase. I manually down shifted to 3rd, primed the alky, and put my foot in it. The turbo quickly spooled to just over 26PSI of boost, forcing me into the back of my seat. I picked up some ground. He started to brake and moved over the the other lane.. It was on. I motioned for him to do the "beeps" from a 55 MPH role. On the third beep, I stabbed the throttle. I jumped out in front by a fender. We stayed this way till 120 MPH, where he quickly started to pull me. Since my car has the aerodynamics of a brick and really no top-end power.. I knew this race was going to end for me after 125. He walked by me when we approached the 125-128 MPH range. He must have kept in it for a while, because I didn't catch up to him for at least another mile. I got next to him, we both exchanged thumbs up, and went our separate ways. I have to say, that Mercedes really sounded nice, but I did not hear the supercharger..

I always enjoy when people respect other people's cars. The fact that he was not some snobby Mercedes owner, and gave MY car a thumbs up, made my day. To add to the joy, I was really excited that my car stayed with this car for as long as it did. 80's Tech for the win! His car cost about 12x what I have in total for my car.. I also know the car has more in it. I might be getting it tuned by one of the best in the near future!

Enjoy,
Nix
Old 04-20-2012, 09:48 PM
Now you have my attention

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice kill!

I'd love to start up a T-type project sometime soon.
Old 04-20-2012, 09:57 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by GTOSE
Nice kill!

I'd love to start up a T-type project sometime soon.
If you need any help with that project, check out Turbobuick.com. They are GREAT people and will provide you with all the information you could ever need. As far as it being a win.. I am not sure I can count it as such since he pulled me hard after 120 and gained back the fender back plus more before I shut it down around 130. I call it a very good fight, but a death for the old Buick.
Old 04-20-2012, 10:38 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That Grand National sounds like a beast...
Nice kill
Old 04-20-2012, 10:45 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I love them old GN's and T types. They truly were the kings of turbo and "tuning" back in the day: the complete opposite of Supras which made for some hilarious dig races with the wickedly awesome torque/low end power of the GN's versus the peaky top end supras.
Old 04-20-2012, 11:22 PM
Now you have my attention

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ZNix
If you need any help with that project, check out Turbobuick.com. They are GREAT people and will provide you with all the information you could ever need. As far as it being a win.. I am not sure I can count it as such since he pulled me hard after 120 and gained back the fender back plus more before I shut it down around 130. I call it a very good fight, but a death for the old Buick.
Yeah I'm on there already, good bunch of guys.

I don't think I've ever met a turbo buick owner who was a douche.
Old 04-20-2012, 11:33 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Sticks n Stones
I love them old GN's and T types. They truly were the kings of turbo and "tuning" back in the day: the complete opposite of Supras which made for some hilarious dig races with the wickedly awesome torque/low end power of the GN's versus the peaky top end supras.
I have never seen a Supra unfortunately, but I have great interest in them. Maybe I will own one of them in the future. The GN certainly has some serious torque down low. Likes to spin the tires quickly..
Old 04-20-2012, 11:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

I love GN's and I've always wanted one.
Old 04-21-2012, 01:36 AM
Staging Lane

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

LS1tech - SRK- Nice guys.....?

Well I guess they're nice as long as you don't beat any type of mustang.
Old 04-21-2012, 07:45 AM

Good race, sounds like you had a blast!

Any idea what your car makes for power or any track numbers? I don't know a lot about those Buicks.
Old 04-21-2012, 08:11 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Welcome aboard, nice run!!!.I'm on my fourth G.N.,they are alot of fun for sure.
Old 04-21-2012, 08:30 AM
On The Tree

I do not know what kind of power it is running, not do I have any track time. Later today I will be getting it dynoed at the Slowhawk Performance get together/ dyno day.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Buick Grand National vs 2005 CL55 AMG