Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Lost to 76mm turbo stang... then he blew up. Sucks.

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2012, 02:58 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Heater
If they are all forged, it's more than likely the tune that ate them than the parts inside the engine.

IMO, most local tuners nowadays are hacks. Seems like they feel their reputation hinges more on a big dyno number and could care less how long the engine lasts with their ragged edge tune.
I agree, its usually not ford thats the problem its the Shitty tuners. Just trolling before.
Old 04-21-2012, 04:28 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by odarabla
That wasn't a little issue. He had sparks and eveything coming out the back of that car.. His motor is screwed!
I think he just bottomed out going over a bump at 130+ lol.

Been there, done that. Definitely a shitty feeling. Gotta be even more shittier with a forged bottom end. Had to have a couple pistons pop there. Thats how mine looked when mine went.
Old 04-22-2012, 12:42 AM
10 Second Club

Received 55 Likes on 48 Posts

Added sideline video, shitty quality but there you go
Old 04-22-2012, 05:03 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Turbo2vGT
I think he just bottomed out going over a bump at 130+ lol.

Been there, done that. Definitely a shitty feeling. Gotta be even more shittier with a forged bottom end. Had to have a couple pistons pop there. Thats how mine looked when mine went.
When my last motor let go it smoked like that to but only on the decel. It ate the #7 piston, Tore up the #7 cyclinder on the head, bent all the intake valves, spun 2 rod bearings and 2 crank bearings..
Old 04-22-2012, 10:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

Sorry about your car. It was very impressive
Old 04-22-2012, 10:40 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Mike Morris
Who was this meant for?
Old 04-22-2012, 10:49 AM
Teching In

When my last motor let go it smoked like that to but only on the decel. It ate the #7 piston, Tore up the #7 cyclinder on the head, bent all the intake valves, spun 2 rod bearings and 2 crank bearings..
Mine just jerked a couple times and had no power. Thought it was spark blowout, but no, it was motor blowup haha. I snapped a rod, bent a rod, bent 4 valves, blew two pistons into pieces and ripped a hole in the cylinder wall. Oh, and a pen tip sized hole in my block haha.

BUILT FORD TUFF
Old 04-22-2012, 10:50 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Mike Morris
That wasn't my car that blew up in the video.
Old 04-22-2012, 11:04 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Turbo2vGT
That wasn't my car that blew up in the video.
It sure is a bad feeling. To make things worst after I put my new motor together and put it in the car I found out it had a crack in the side of my brand new block. Talk about pissed. We pulled the motor back out, had it welded and reinstalled it just to find another crack. So I had to buy a whole new block from GM, pay to get the machine work again, buy all new gaskets and rings and put the new new motor together.. I was like
Old 04-22-2012, 11:25 AM
Teching In

It sure is a bad feeling. To make things worst after I put my new motor together and put it in the car I found out it had a crack in the side of my brand new block. Talk about pissed. We pulled the motor back out, had it welded and reinstalled it just to find another crack. So I had to buy a whole new block from GM, pay to get the machine work again, buy all new gaskets and rings and put the new new motor together.. I was like
DAMN. Yeah, thats a whole bunch of pissed off there.
Old 04-22-2012, 03:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

come on guys, cut the guy some slack. Ive been in that situation numerous time with my GTO. Its not fun, it sucks, its gut wrenching. To blame the FORD product in a situation like this is ridiculous. They ALL break. Its never fun being that guy. The sad part is, this car could have made 25-30 less hp and ran for years. Tuners really have become a thing of the past. Ive learned to go out of my way to have a tuner tune my car in a ridiculously conservative way. If i get a slight bit of detonation, i will pull atleast 4 degrees out, where as most tuners will drop 1-2 degrees. Just because it doesnt knock that day, doesnt mean it wont in other conditions. No matter how strong the bottom end is, once you start making a fair amount of hp... detonation WILL prevail. When i tune my Boss i have now, you can damn well gaurentee i wont be adding any timing to the tune. Im all set with trying to grab that extra 10hp.
Old 04-22-2012, 03:04 PM
Staging Lane

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Oh **** ... It's the fastest 302 in the world ^^^.

Still trying to figure out why people don't just use meth for safety. Thing does wonders vs detonation.

(ask me how I know) Running 88octane through my boosted motor at my power levels and my compression. At about 2.5k miles on the setup and have absolutely 0 detonation/knocking. Meth. Is. God.
Old 04-22-2012, 04:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 2SSARME
Oh **** ... It's the fastest 302 in the world ^^^.

Still trying to figure out why people don't just use meth for safety. Thing does wonders vs detonation.

(ask me how I know) Running 88octane through my boosted motor at my power levels and my compression. At about 2.5k miles on the setup and have absolutely 0 detonation/knocking. Meth. Is. God.
o boy
Old 04-22-2012, 07:02 PM
Staging Lane

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by evangto87
o boy
I hurd u ran like 9s with ur car.
Old 04-22-2012, 07:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by LSX_240
takes a chevy guy to not know the difference between an oval and a circle
you own a honda......
Old 04-22-2012, 07:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 2SSARME
I hurd u ran like 9s with ur car.
Old 04-22-2012, 07:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

sorry he is a pirate.....
Old 04-22-2012, 07:54 PM
TECH Apprentice

in my book you are the winner there
Old 04-22-2012, 09:37 PM
On The Tree

come on guys, cut the guy some slack. Ive been in that situation numerous time with my GTO. Its not fun, it sucks, its gut wrenching. To blame the FORD product in a situation like this is ridiculous. They ALL break. Its never fun being that guy. The sad part is, this car could have made 25-30 less hp and ran for years. Tuners really have become a thing of the past. Ive learned to go out of my way to have a tuner tune my car in a ridiculously conservative way. If i get a slight bit of detonation, i will pull atleast 4 degrees out, where as most tuners will drop 1-2 degrees. Just because it doesnt knock that day, doesnt mean it wont in other conditions. No matter how strong the bottom end is, once you start making a fair amount of hp... detonation WILL prevail. When i tune my Boss i have now, you can damn well gaurentee i wont be adding any timing to the tune. Im all set with trying to grab that extra 10hp.

I agree 100% with you.

I hauled my Cobra 8 hours away from where I live to have it tuned by someone who has a reputation for NOT tuning for the highest dyno number.

I told him when he tuned it that me and my wife would be daily driving the car and on the weekends I wanted to take it to the track and I wanted it to live.

That was two years ago and about 20,000 miles and I don't know how many trips down the drag strip...but a lot.
Old 04-22-2012, 10:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Guy around here does that highest dyno number crap. I know there have been two cars at the new strip that motors have blown i asked who tuned it it was the same guy. Mccord is good at it dont know if you guys know who that is?