Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

90 363 Fox vs 98 Z

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2012, 01:09 AM
Tech Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I put on a regular R upper from my box upper and lost power EVERYWHERE. I since sold the regular R and went back to the box on top. But I'm selling the whole motor and car now so it doesn't matter.
Old 06-05-2012, 01:46 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by HioSSilver
It would take some huge sick nasty cam to get a 363 anywhere near 500rwhp. Not the **** most street cars are gonna like. Probably have to have enough compression to need race gas too.

But like I said before. When get rid of all the ford parts those cars tend to run better.
LoL, wrong subject matter for you. You might want to just leave this alone and let the guys that know what they are talking about discuss this

The TFS bread box intake out flows the Victor EFI intake; been told by someone that has played with both on a bench, that if you could match the TFS lower to the Edelbrock upper you would have the best EFI intake.

I'm kind of wondering if the owner of the 363 is just playing with the OP acting like he has to spray to out run the OP when he doesn't. Makes me wonder if he is just saving the gas for when he really wants to hurt someone's feelings.

A 363 ain't no joke, what most don't realize is that the internal parts ofthe 363 are so much lighter due to the short stroke that they will turn up quicker that comparable taller deck engine....rate of acceleration.
Old 06-05-2012, 07:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 63 Likes on 52 Posts

Heater I think that depends on the cubic inches used and the cam.

I know years ago a ported Saleen/Holley worked best on a 302-331 but that was years ago...
Old 06-05-2012, 07:59 AM
On The Tree

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Holley Systemax is still a great all around intake. I have one on the shelf that I need to sell. The Saleen used the truck lower and is outdated at best.
Old 06-05-2012, 08:43 AM
10 Second Club

Received 432 Likes on 339 Posts

It would take a pretty big cam and good compression(probably near the limits of pump but using oe parts) for a ls to get 500rwhp n/a @ 363c/i. So it only makes sense it would take more of both for the ford. Not to mention that old pcm is'nt goin to control things as well. That link was a carb on a engine dyno w/o exhaust. It will loose some power in the car. It was using a ~240* cam which would be more than enough to make power brakes really hateful. It was a really good build but to the outer limits of what most will do.
Old 06-05-2012, 09:55 AM
On The Tree

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

I mentioned it was on an engine dyno, not in the car but the cam is smaller than an MS3 and how many of those are running around on the street?
Old 06-05-2012, 10:05 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Heater
The TFS bread box intake out flows the Victor EFI intake; been told by someone that has played with both on a bench, that if you could match the TFS lower to the Edelbrock upper you would have the best EFI intake.
I wasn't talking about the Victor EFI. I was talking about the Super Vic EFI lower with a nice elbow upper. The Victor EFI has a nice lower but the upper is bottle necked down to like 65mm right at the neck and this part of the intake really requires some porting to make the intake shine. And IMO even then you still have to deal with the 180* turn which I don't like. The TFS box is just a 90* turn straight down into the heads. It IS the ultimate SBF EFI intake in about 95% of situations.
Old 06-05-2012, 11:15 AM
On The Tree

I knew what you was referring to Kevin, I just didn't want to bring a carb type intake into the discussion because someone could discredit it for it's raciness (saying it's not a street style intake). The guy that did the flow test ported the Victor EFI upper and stated that it had such a poor casting that it needs to be cleaned up right out of the box.

You kill me on hating on not using O.E Ford parts Doug. I don't know if that's a true hang up for you or if you just like using it to try and win the discussion.
As far as a "big" cam making the power and killing the brakes, Jay Allen ground me a cam a few years ago for my 85 GT. The car was my daily driver with power everything (a/c included), and I told him it had to be streetable. The cam was 242 int. & 259 on the exh. and was VERY streetable including pulling 11in. of vacuum for my power brakes.
Old 06-05-2012, 11:27 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I knew what you was referring to Kevin, I just didn't want to bring a carb type intake into the discussion because someone could discredit it for it's raciness (saying it's not a street style intake). The guy that did the flow test ported the Victor EFI upper and stated that it had such a poor casting that it needs to be cleaned up right out of the box.

Stop the BS. You were talking Victor Jr not Super Vic. It's OK newbie. We can't know everything.

And both are carb-style intakes.
Old 06-05-2012, 11:58 AM
10 Second Club

Received 432 Likes on 339 Posts

You kill me on hating on not using O.E Ford parts Doug. I don't know if that's a true hang up for you or if you just like using it to try and win the discussion.
As far as a "big" cam making the power and killing the brakes, Jay Allen ground me a cam a few years ago for my 85 GT. The car was my daily driver with power everything (a/c included), and I told him it had to be streetable. The cam was 242 int. & 259 on the exh. and was VERY streetable including pulling 11in. of vacuum for my power brakes.
I'm to cheap to buy all that aftermarket motor stuff.....lol so any build using that stuff is off the table to me. Besides if someone is gonna tell me how great the sbf, sbc, BBC or lsx is then use the oe parts for the main components. If they don't then it's a dart, afr, trick flow or whatever. Just the way I feel.
Old 06-05-2012, 12:06 PM
On The Tree

The LS engine comes with some real good internals from the factory to not be forged, hard to argue that.

LoL, doesn't hurt that they also have a factory 15° head that flows very well.
Old 06-05-2012, 05:27 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Stopsign32v
370rwhp out of a 363cid 5 speed? Thats sad.
Yep, I agree 100%

Originally Posted by Cosmos
I dont know if it is an aftermarket block or not. Ive been reading up on 363s and they can be down right nasty.

I dont know the specs on the motor, wish I did
LOL, too bad the guys you raced isn't too nasty.

Originally Posted by CyberGrey Z28
Just like 90% of the 5-Ohs on the street. Either way its nice to see healthy/clean one on the streets.
LOL. Most mustang guys around here have a setup out of a jegs catalog and they wonder why every one of thier motors makes 285 rwhp. Nobody understands the art of building a REAL engine anymore, and how to properly match parts. But then again, most 3rd gen owners are the same way lol. For the few of us that do know our ****, amen.
Old 06-05-2012, 05:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Amen to that! I told the builder I wanna run my buddy again once I get my 90 TB and with my cut out open. He says "why do you need the cut out open?" I told him with the ls1 intake my set up gained 16 rwhp/10 rwht. He said "holy ****, who tuned your car? That's a huge gain! You shouldn't gain that much. Cut outs are just to be loud and show off". I told him I wanted the car tuned again wth the cut out open(instead of through the catback) to maximize the power. He then told me you shouldn't tune or run WOT with cut outs open cause it will lean out the motor to much. You should to run two separate maps if your going run cut outs WOT. LOL

Cliff notes, I ran a 363 fox that walked me slowly and I can't get a straight answer what's done to it.
Old 06-05-2012, 05:50 PM
Tech Apprentice

****...you guys got no idea what you are talking about. In the SBF world if you don't have an E303 cam, some GT40 heads, and Summit race thumper double pumper you ain't fast.
Old 06-05-2012, 05:52 PM
Tech Apprentice

Amen to that! I told the builder I wanna run my buddy again once I get my 90 TB and with my cut out open. He says "why do you need the cut out open?" I told him with the ls1 intake my set up gained 16 rwhp/10 rwht. He said "holy ****, who tuned your car? That's a huge gain! You shouldn't gain that much. Cut outs are just to be loud and show off". I told him I wanted the car tuned again wth the cut out open(instead of through the catback) to maximize the power. He then told me you shouldn't tune or run WOT with cut outs open cause it will lean out the motor to much. You should to run two separate maps if your going run cut outs WOT. LOL
Shows you how shitty your exhaust setup is.
Old 06-05-2012, 06:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Your right, a cut out should gain nothing over a transverse muffler.
Old 06-05-2012, 09:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 63 Likes on 52 Posts

I remember why I love destroying LS anything with my fox...
Old 06-05-2012, 09:16 PM
Tech Apprentice

Your right, a cut out should gain nothing over a transverse muffler.
What are you talking about?
Old 06-05-2012, 09:24 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Mike Morris
I remember why I love destroying LS anything with my fox...
Yeah yeah we've heard this before. I'm sure there were plenty of LSx's that could show your Fox taillights.
Old 06-05-2012, 09:26 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Stopsign32v
What are you talking about?
That's what I.was thinking.

Quick Reply: 90 363 Fox vs 98 Z