Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

2012 SRT8 Challenger runs a 12.91 @113.5

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2012, 01:39 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bumpin' Yota
There have been no "hero runs" in the zl1. For that we will have to wait for winter at ATCO. Besides the magazine drivers can't drive themselves out of a parking garage much less down a track.

Buddy of mine drove a ZL1 to 12.07@117 then got her into the 11s a week later with only drag radials.

http://www.ls1gto.com/forums/showthread.php?t=439380

With vid as well.

Ps that 12.02@117 was at 1900' DA which corrects down to a 11.7@119. And citing my source:

http://www.dragtimes.com/da-density-...ect+ET+and+MPH
And a 392 went 12.0@115 with radials only.....thats just to close for me. And I actually like the ZL1
Old 07-10-2012, 02:28 PM
Teching In

Actually a 392 has hit 11.9 in the 1/4. Look up lxmodguy on lxforums
Old 07-10-2012, 03:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I was lucky and got to drive one before i sold it. The problem with the ZL1 is that once it hits 3k rpms there is very little traction in 2nd gear and forget 1st. This car needs drag radials or drag tires to get its best potential. I cant see people getting good E.T's with the tires it comes with no matter how good those are. This isnt like a slight chirp or anything the back end kicks out and does it VERY quickly. I thought it was going to be a kick out like my old 01 Z28 but the way the ZL1 kicked out makes my 01 feel progressive and predictable. I wish i was able to drive it more and higher speeds but thats pretty much all i got out of it in the short time in it.

Last edited by karpetcm; 07-10-2012 at 03:29 PM.
Old 07-10-2012, 03:16 PM
12 Second Club

Received 51 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Slapattack
Actually a 392 has hit 11.9 in the 1/4. Look up lxmodguy on lxforums
This guy? Looks like he has some Hoosiers on the back even...

My ride is a 2011 Challenger 392. It has a couple of simple mods exhaust, cold air intake, and a 3000 stall. She tips in at about 4500lbs with the driver and runs 11.9@114 on the factory tune. I think Dodge really got it right with the 2011 Challengers, not only was the 6.4 exactly what they needed to get this heavy car down the track, but they did the suspension right to make it hook up. Even on the factory F1 Goodyears the car was able to put down an outstanding 12.38@112.

Read more: http://rides.hotrod.com/ride/1208397...#ixzz20Fiydtm9
Brian has also gone 11s in his modded 392 so I'm not sure why anyone would argue a modded one hasn't gone 11s....but bone stock it hasn't happened yet.
Old 07-10-2012, 03:34 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My God..........if 2,000-2,500 DA is THAT BAD (based on number of posts referencing it) then please never move to Arizona. +2,000 DA is our normal average "good racing day" DA in the winter. Anything near 0-1,000 and it usually has to be 40*F out with a track made of ice.
Old 07-10-2012, 03:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yes, in Tucson it is typically over 4000 at all times. For this reason, all my fast cars use FI.
Old 07-10-2012, 06:01 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Bumpin' Yota
Don't you worry, he will be there directly, bone stock.

And did you miss the corrected times?

11.75@119 is a **** ton faster than a 12.5@115.
Sorry i dont race corrected times. It runs what it runs...

This is the thing tho. Its pathetic that corrected times and hero runs in winter at ATCO are needed to achieve times that the car be turning out right now in the middle of summer...

Bottom line, for a 580hp car its a turd in stock form and VERY under engineered.
Old 07-10-2012, 06:30 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by GotHemi?
Sorry i dont race corrected times. It runs what it runs...

This is the thing tho. Its pathetic that corrected times and hero runs in winter at ATCO are needed to achieve times that the car be turning out right now in the middle of summer...

Bottom line, for a 580hp car its a turd in stock form and VERY under engineered.
Ok then go take a 392 and run it against a stage 2 cobalt as turbo in Denver. When the cobalt turns in a 13 flat don't be too pissed when you run a 14.5. That's the importance of DA. Believing anything less is simply sticking your head in the sand. I suppose some still believe that the earth is flat too....

Yea sure it runs what it runs so its OBVIOUSLY slower than a cobalt
Old 07-10-2012, 06:36 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by CoolAid
My God..........if 2,000-2,500 DA is THAT BAD (based on number of posts referencing it) then please never move to Arizona. +2,000 DA is our normal average "good racing day" DA in the winter. Anything near 0-1,000 and it usually has to be 40*F out with a track made of ice.
Anything above 2000 and I won't waste my money to go to the track. No way would I live somewhere where the DA was high all the time.
Old 07-10-2012, 07:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by S8ER95Z
Anything above 2000 and I won't waste my money to go to the track. No way would I live somewhere where the DA was high all the time.
I felt the same way when I was N/A. I was reading all the fast times people were running with their camaros and here I was with cam/headers/intake/exhaust/tune running low 13s. I got beat by an SRT-4 at the track. Fixed that with a turbo. Then I bought an SRT-4, modded the crap out of it too and it's faster than almost anything on the road here.

You do get to drive your car all year round here though.
Old 07-10-2012, 07:56 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by enginjoe
I felt the same way when I was N/A. I was reading all the fast times people were running with their camaros and here I was with cam/headers/intake/exhaust/tune running low 13s. I got beat by an SRT-4 at the track. Fixed that with a turbo. Then I bought an SRT-4, modded the crap out of it too and it's faster than almost anything on the road here.

I've heard it the other way with F/I though too. Buddy with fully built Lightning was always bitching about IAT-2s and how his combo sucks when its hot. Had every cooling mod short of meth for it. Heat sucks. High DA sucks. ATCO times making everyone think Car "X" does "X" everywhere sucks.

Whatcha gonna do.......
Old 07-10-2012, 10:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Those kind of blowers suck in the heat (just like the ZL1), they have no cooling capacity. With a turbo or vortech type unit with a big front mount intercooler, you can keep things under control.
Old 07-10-2012, 11:51 PM
12 Second Club

That's true, I would have to have FI to live somewhere like that.

I can still drive my car all year... It's just not much fun. Lol
Old 07-11-2012, 06:46 AM
Teching In

This guy? Looks like he has some Hoosiers on the back even...

Brian has also gone 11s in his modded 392 so I'm not sure why anyone would argue a modded one hasn't gone 11s....but bone stock it hasn't happened yet.
Yea I agree. I posted that because someone else was saying just with tires a ZL1 was in the 11's....so is a 392.
Old 07-11-2012, 10:32 AM
TECH Enthusiast

That's true, I would have to have FI to live somewhere like that.

I can still drive my car all year... It's just not much fun. Lol
Wow! I wouldn't want to drive my car in that. I'd be in the 4x4 F150...
Old 07-11-2012, 10:36 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Slapattack
Yea I agree. I posted that because someone else was saying just with tires a ZL1 was in the 11's....so is a 392.
Gotcha... I think I confused myself then.

Wow! I wouldn't want to drive my car in that. I'd be in the 4x4 F150...
You get used to it after a while.... I've made the hour drive to work since 99 now... only used the Trailblazer when the snow is too deep (The front end starts plowing it around the 3 inch mark and it just won't go anywhere if the snow packs), otherwise a good set of tires and 50lb blocks behind each of the front seats and it's been a champ every winter.
Old 08-09-2012, 11:37 PM
Launching!

Coolaid and Enginjoe===Its a little bit more HUMID in Houston than anywhere in Arizona. We are at sea level but the Humidity kills us except on a few weeks in the spring and fall when a front comes and drives the Humidity out and cooler temps. Those are the best Track nights!! Thats why NHRA comes in the spring and fall and sometimes they get lucky and have perfect conditions.....does not ever happen in June-August==Never unfortunately. But hey this is where all the jobs and money are.
Old 08-10-2012, 12:25 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I have no idea what you are talking about.
Old 08-10-2012, 06:58 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by TransAmcoupe98
Im sorry if it doesn't make sense to you. I will dumb it down a little...The Dodge SRT8 Challenger that made a pass at the Houston track in Texas in the United States of America that ran a 12.90 pass @ 113 was not a very good run. After I further investigated the reason for a slower than usual run, I came to the conclusion that the DA, (if you need an explanation I will elaborate) was the sole culprit of the slower than anticipated pass at the track. I then stated and I quote "So the DA did mess the times up pretty good. Just not an impressive run". Even with the corrected times, it ran what it is supposed to and it just doesn't impress me that it runs what its supposed to. I guess this is purely subjective and it plays into cost vs performance for me. Also, the last time I checked the Dodge Challenger was not a luxury sedan or am I wrong about that as well? I would assume you meant to say Charger but we cannot use common sense on here so I will not assume anything. Lol I swear you guys can't look further into a post than whats stated and just exploit it to make a few people laugh.

The sad thing is that he probably couldn't drive his poor mans zo6 bone stock to a win against a 4 door charger. Ahhh technology, it's great isn't it? Lmfao

You mad bro?
Old 08-10-2012, 07:44 AM
Teching In

Here are some questions for thought.

When someone purchases a new car, should the performance match the price?

My answer is yes. For instance, I test drove a 2008 911 Carrera 4S a couple of months ago. The dealership was asking $66k. Performance figures stand as 3.8l flat 6, 355 hp, 295 lb-ft, and a weight of 3252 lbs respectively. Now my current car at the time was my E46 M3 with some light bolt ons. Still a relatively quick car. Now when I test drive a car, power is not everything. I am concerned with look, feel, driving dynamics, and how much of a kick in the *** will this thing deliver. For $66k I will tell you, this car did not deliver. It had the driving dynamics, it had the look and the feel. However, it lacked the kick in the *** driving enthusiasm or power for a $66k car. Now these days a 415 hp older gen 997 GT3 with 415 hp sells for $70k or so with proper documentation. To me that car is worth twice the amount of what this Carrera 4S is going for. The Carrera 4S is not all about power but an overall package. However, when I put my foot down I want to feel that kick in the *** so that way everytime I want to smile. I can and will. Now, next question.

If a car's performance and price match but it lacks in other areas, does that justify the price? Another example is. The 392 makes 470HP/470ft-lbs respectively but is only capable of mid 12's on a good day then wouldn't that mean something is wrong? Is there not something wrong with the 5th Gen Camaro's? Here's let's simplify the biggest problem area the Camaro and Challenger both have that the new 5.0 does not.

Weight and driving dynamics. Simple as that. They are over weight pigs and the fact that GM and Dodge are trying to disguise their weight by adding more power is not cutting it. Not when the national 1/4 mile averages are mid 12's at 112-117 mph which are for both the ZL1 and 392 SRT-8. Now I am not trying to bash either car. To each their own. But when you look at cars like the E60 M5, C63 AMG, the BMW M3 sedan. All pretty hefty cars. With the exception of the M5 all within the price range of the 392 but all are damn near 20 hp or more, less than the SS and 392. And the torque is even more ridiculous. The mercedes pumps out 430 tq and the M3 sedan a measly 295 ft-lbs. Putting these numbers into retrospect really makes the 470hp/470ft-lb fire breathing 392 seem like well. A few pennies short of a dollar.

GM and Dodge need to cut the weight of both their cars in order for them to be better. Adding hp is not doing the trick. Put these cars on diets. When your suspension and engine dynamics are not coinciding you need to develop a new plan and start from scratch. These cars should not hinder around the low 13's high 12's bracket. Low 13's more aimed towards the SS and even the older Challenger SRT-8. It is highly out of character to make so much power (ZL1) and still run in the mid 12's range. Definitely reminds me of when the GT500 first came out and struggled with traps above 112-114 mph. What is going on with all that power? Where is it going?

Some more issues are aerodynamics. I know within the last few years the costs for research and development have been cut from both companies. This I know. However, they need to add more emphasis on aerodynamics. In fact all the American automobile manufacturers do. To include Ford with the new Mustang.

Once they figure all this out and add it all up will they begin to devolop great cars. Until then, their dynamics are screwed as well as the end product as it will just continue to suck as it does now. Think beyond the electronics and controls. But the BMW M5 F10 is a heavy car. Produces 560 hp and 510 ft-lbs of torque while moving a classy douche object inside who has no clue what the M badge stands for, at a brisk 11 second pace with no problem. Why can't the ZL1 do this? Driving dynamics. They need to figure that out then bring America a real product.

It's what made the Ford GT great, the classic Z06 and newer Z06 both C5 and C6, the new Mustang's dynamics have improved dramatically and will continue over the next 15 years. I hope to see changes in American cars so they can be more competitive to their more expensive counterparts. Not just in terms of horsepower but in overall package. Thinking back to the 911, I'd still rather have a 911 that cannot kick me in the *** then drive a new SS or Challenger that can only kick me in the *** for twice as less. It's all about the overall package.

Quick Reply: 2012 SRT8 Challenger runs a 12.91 @113.5