Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

E92 M3 vs LS3 SS vs SRT8

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2012, 08:13 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by marc97taws6
So fast would you say a bolt on e92 m3 is capable of? I have a buddy who used to have a bolt-on (headers, exhaust, intake, tune) and he was trying to convince me it was Z06 fast and 0-60'd in like 3 seconds. I ed

Just a cliff note, I love E92 M3s and 335i Coupe/Sedan, so don't think I am talking **** about them or BMW at all
Not really Z06 fast. At least not the later C5's with 405 hp. Might be able to hang with a 385 hp one though. I have seen a couple in the 11.8-.9 range at 118 though with some light bolt ons.

Oh, another thing I forgot to mention. When you have a M3 with bolt ons, it really matters what bolt ons you add. A lot of parts do not expose all the potential of the engines. For instance my cann tune right now is holding me back from making an extra 10 rwhp by switching to a great custom mapped tune. But the price difference is what is keeping me content until I add more bolt ons. With full bolt ons that 10 rwhp difference becomes more like 20-40 rwhp depending on your modifications. I have ran a bolt on M3 and mine with just an intake was able to pull his because of his lack of proper modification. Just be leary of that because the M3's that you run may not be as deadly as some of the others that this other SRT-8 has ran because there is definitely a large difference.

Also if he had a DCT transmission. There's also a .4 second difference in the 60-130 mph times, depending on which shift mode he has selected. If he has selected D2 which is the slowest his 60-130 times are .4 slower and his 1/4 mile trap is 1-2 mph slower as well. With his car in D5 or S6 mode he is shifting .08 milliseconds vs .20 milliseconds. It's funny because I just learned this today. Everything these cars are capable of can easily be deteriated just by the drivers knowledge.
Old 07-21-2012, 08:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Tracked350Z
Not really Z06 fast. At least not the later C5's with 405 hp. Might be able to hang with a 385 hp one though. I have seen a couple in the 11.8-.9 range at 118 though with some light bolt ons.

Oh, another thing I forgot to mention. When you have a M3 with bolt ons, it really matters what bolt ons you add. A lot of parts do not expose all the potential of the engines. For instance my cann tune right now is holding me back from making an extra 10 rwhp by switching to a great custom mapped tune. But the price difference is what is keeping me content until I add more bolt ons. With full bolt ons that 10 rwhp difference becomes more like 20-40 rwhp depending on your modifications. I have ran a bolt on M3 and mine with just an intake was able to pull his because of his lack of proper modification. Just be leary of that because the M3's that you run may not be as deadly as some of the others that this other SRT-8 has ran because there is definitely a large difference.

Also if he had a DCT transmission. There's also a .4 second difference in the 60-130 mph times, depending on which shift mode he has selected. If he has selected D2 which is the slowest his 60-130 times are .4 slower and his 1/4 mile trap is 1-2 mph slower as well. With his car in D5 or S6 mode he is shifting .08 milliseconds vs .20 milliseconds. It's funny because I just learned this today. Everything these cars are capable of can easily be deteriated just by the drivers knowledge.
I saw a few videos for the VF Engineering VF620 and VF650 and think they are definitely great cars with the DCT. Just not sure I'd want to pay that much when I can buy a 335i Coupe and do a tune and bolt ons and be M3 fast on the cheap.

Apples to oranges, I know
Old 07-21-2012, 08:52 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by marc97taws6
I saw a few videos for the VF Engineering VF620 and VF650 and think they are definitely great cars with the DCT. Just not sure I'd want to pay that much when I can buy a 335i Coupe and do a tune and bolt ons and be M3 fast on the cheap.

Apples to oranges, I know
Yea, but it's legitimate to at least give it some thought. I know when I bought my M3 I definitely considered a 335i. I could easily be seeing mid to low 12's with the same amount of money. But standard lsd, high revving lovely sounding I6, etc not included. An M car is something special. It's like if you saw a low mileage C5 Z06 for sale and a low mileage C5 FRC for the same price. Which would you buy? I'd have the Z06.
Old 07-21-2012, 09:25 AM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by NiteRiderWS6
My girl is persian and my boy with the SS is armenian this happened in glendale haha you are right on the money you shouldn't have a problem with a E92 with your mods especially since you have a custom tune im still on the 91 Canned Tune
She's a HOT armenian too!

Originally Posted by ZFreie
I drove past a civic with an front mount earlier, I quickly hid my car in the nearest ditch, I was scared I wouldn't make it home...
Careful what you wish for:
Old 07-21-2012, 01:23 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Sticks n Stones
She's a HOT armenian too!
Old 07-21-2012, 02:18 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by karpetcm
Good Kill NiteRiderWS6, hopefully ill get a run with one soon. I live close to burbank and glendale area persian/armenians love that car and as populated area this is with bmw's its only a matter of time, lol.
What can we say, we like the finer things in life

Old 07-21-2012, 02:52 PM
Staging Lane

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Tracked350Z

You think you can gain 40whp with a tune on an E46 M3? I think thats a little out there.
Old 07-21-2012, 03:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Sticks n Stones
Careful what you wish for:
BAHAHAH Like a boss!
Old 07-21-2012, 04:54 PM

Good kills!

I ran a friend's 2011 M3 (manual) and I beat him pretty good, so we figured it was a crappy starting speed. I asked him what his best speed was and he chose 50 mph and for that race we were door to door. He raced one of his friends with the DCT setup and they were door to door. I think it would take some great driving and awesome weather for them to hit the 113-114 mph traps that they are supposedly capable of.
Old 07-21-2012, 05:30 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by ScreaminRedZ
Good kills!

I ran a friend's 2011 M3 (manual) and I beat him pretty good, so we figured it was a crappy starting speed. I asked him what his best speed was and he chose 50 mph and for that race we were door to door. He raced one of his friends with the DCT setup and they were door to door. I think it would take some great driving and awesome weather for them to hit the 113-114 mph traps that they are supposedly capable of.
That was when you were bolt ons right?
Old 07-21-2012, 05:39 PM

Yeah, my current setup, just not spraying.
Old 07-21-2012, 09:57 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by V8EATR
You think you can gain 40whp with a tune on an E46 M3? I think thats a little out there.
Sounds like it is, but like I said it really depends on the modifications. Specifically, we have what is called Alpha-N tuning which is specific to a CSL intake manifold. In short, the E46 M3 comes standard with individual throttle bodies, plastic plenum, and a restrictive intake. The CSL is a carbon airbox with a much less restrictive intake system along with a MAF delete. The Alpha-N tuning is the only tune to recognize the lack of a MAF sensor. A CSL intake modified M3 will make minimal gains without a proper tune. In many cases it will actually cause the car to lose power with any other off the shelf tune. Thus, many people who upgrade to the Alpha-N tuning have made 40-50 rwhp with the car properly running with actual gains of up to 30 rwhp over a factory manifold. Along with other exhaust modifications and some head work it's very likely to see 370-380 rwhp naturally aspirated. However, with all that being said it comes at a hefty price. The CSL intake is $3000, head porting $3000, valve adjustment another $500, and of course you have to have it all installed and dyno tuned so another $1500. All that for a total of anywhere between $8-$9k dollars in realistic terms.
Old 07-21-2012, 11:34 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by V8EATR
nice work. A mach 1 would have decimated all. Or if you had really bad luck, you will run into a 300whp civic.
You're going to have another thread closed with this BS?
**** is getting real old man. Time to break out your joke book and find another line. Don't ya think?
Old 07-24-2012, 01:04 PM
Staging Lane

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Wow. The last, I don't know, 10 pages of my last 2 threads I didn't really post that much in. Every other retard took the reins there. + it was a joke.

Quick Reply: E92 M3 vs LS3 SS vs SRT8