Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Bolt-on '03 Cobra vs. H/C/I C5

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2012 | 12:55 PM
TECH Resident

Default Bolt-on '03 Cobra vs. H/C/I C5

'03 Cobra- blower pulley, full exhaust, intake, tune, drag radials, full weight, owner says a little under 500whp

'00 C5 (m6 trans)- heads, cam, full exhaust, LS6 intake, supporting mods, tune, street tires, (unknown problems at the time= couple broken valve springs & fouled plugs), full weight, dyno says 430whp without said problems

Story: Ran into a friend with the Cobra while cruising around town right after I changed the spark plugs in my car (the C5). Prior to this, my car was not running right due to an unknown issue at the time. I thought it possibly could've been fouled plug(s), hints why I changed plugs. Anyways, I ran into him while heading out of town, we pull over to shoot the **** and decide to get a quick roll run in.

From a 20 roll to 130ish- I feather the gas to control wheel spin, he hooks and gets up about a car length thru 1st gear and keeps a steady pull until we let off. He ended up about 3-4 lengths ahead. We pull over and I tell him the car was still experiencing the same issue (engine would start cutting out/stuttering at 4800-5000 rpm up). We turn around and do a 50 roll for the hell of it. We both start in 2nd gear, this time the Cobra didn't jump ahead right away, kept a slow pull and he ended up about 2 lengths ahead when we let off at 130.

After the runs; I clean the air filter and MAF sensor to see if it clears up the problem. Car did run slightly better but it was still experienced the running at high rpm issue. So I make an appointment right away with Fast Motorsports to figure the problem out. They check it out and find a couple broken valve springs, fouled plugs and two plugs/wires that had very low voltage/amps or whatever. So valve springs are getting replacing and tossing in a custom cam.

We both know his Cobra shouldn't stand a chance against mine running optimal (sorry Mustang ). So we're looking forward to running again when the Corvette gets patched up
Old 07-29-2012 | 01:04 PM
9 Second Club

Get it running right and then seek for revenge

Hope you get it squared away and the plugs being fouled due to faulty springs doesn't seem far fetched to me at all. Brandon will get it running right.
Old 07-30-2012 | 09:42 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by willizm
Get it running right and then seek for revenge
Yeah, dude said he wants to run again when I get it fixed up. He wants to see how it really runs without a gimp. Maybe get video next time if he doesn't mind.

Quick Reply: Bolt-on '03 Cobra vs. H/C/I C5