Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

whats its take for a ls1 to beat a pullied 03 cobra?

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2012, 04:17 PM
10 Second Club

Received 423 Likes on 335 Posts

Originally Posted by Heater
So was it rpm's or tune that ate the bearings in the motor that you have?
Probably the tune. But there were no signs of detonation. It just spun a bearing. It was still on the stock limiter.
Originally Posted by Redfire 03
You can spin that hard with the stock Eaton. On my old Ported/N20 '03 I shifted at 7k and had the limiter set to 7200. Many have done it with no problems.
The modular bottoms have never been known for their strength.......many have blown up for no apparent reason. Do a search on svt, it's almost epidemic like. Finicky motors for sure.
Old 08-14-2012, 04:23 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by HioSSilver
Probably the tune. But there were no signs of detonation. It just spun a bearing. It was still on the stock limiter.

The modular bottoms have never been known for their strength.......many have blown up for no apparent reason. Do a search on svt, it's almost epidemic like. Finicky motors for sure.
It's a toss..some blow-up and some last thru years of abuse like my '03 did. I never made any real crazy power with it though.
Old 08-14-2012, 04:25 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by big reg
Your car runs better than every bolton ls6 f-body ive heard of. But it is not the norm, hence all the questions and doubts from others. Not me your car is obviously a freak.

I spin to almost 7k with no problem in my car. I dont do it often as i dont need to. On another note. This is one of my favorite all time vids.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z64Jx...e_gdata_player
Nitrous hit FTW!
Old 08-14-2012, 04:34 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I hang around LS guys and Cobra guys and can tell you just as many LS guys have rod bearing issues as the Cobra guys.
Old 08-14-2012, 04:35 PM
Teching In

OP A strong running cam only car with a fast intake will give a pullied cobra all it can handle. Must be a pretty large cam though as the cobra has a huge torque advantage. See my sig and ask me how i know!!

I disagree, in my experience if both cars are healthy it will take H/C not just Cam to beat a pulley cobra. If both cars are full weight of course.

Pulley cobras will usually trap 118 some a little more and a bunch more less.

And most ported cobras trap higher than 121. I have seen 125 from well driven and tuned full weight cars.
From my experience average ported cobras run 121, some a little more some a little less.

Thats a very awsome race and fbody is healthy.
Old 08-14-2012, 04:41 PM
10 Second Club

I hang around LS guys and Cobra guys and can tell you just as many LS guys have rod bearing issues as the Cobra guys.
The difference is there are ALOT more ls engines than there are cobra engines. Most guys kill the ls on a 150 shot, which far more stressful on a engine than boost. I have yet to see one blow up for no real reason, hell I only know of 1 local ls that has blown up. Several mod motors has though, and none were as fast as the ls.
Old 08-14-2012, 06:21 PM
TECH Resident

He used to be on here before he sold the car to move overseas a while back. Dvst8r or something like that was his screen name.

I built my SS similar to his a few years back. That car is cam only, fast intake, full exhaust, 4.10s and a tnt f1 kit set for a 150rwhp shot.
Old 08-14-2012, 06:45 PM
TECH Resident

The difference is there are ALOT more ls engines than there are cobra engines. Most guys kill the ls on a 150 shot, which far more stressful on a engine than boost. I have yet to see one blow up for no real reason, hell I only know of 1 local ls that has blown up. Several mod motors has though, and none were as fast as the ls.
Poor tunes are the reason which is shown by all the recent threads of cars only making 530-550 rwhp with twin screws. And not enough cooling mods for high boost on pump gas. My car has been at 672rwhp and 21 psi for a long time. I also have every cooling mod possible, a wide band 02 in the car and a real water temp gauge. Anything over 210 degrees and i wont run it hard. It is also tuned by one of the best tuners on SVTP. Running on e85 adds 80rwhp and the car runs 10-15 degrees cooler with no other changes. My car is built the right way. Not half assed with a blower upgrade and barely enough mods to support it safely. If your suggesting the ls1 will hold more power than the terminator 4.6 your dead wrong.

As for cam only cars beating pullied cobras. I drove my first cobra the day after i sold my SS. From a roll my SS felt faster up top but the cobra felt faster on the street. My SS liked to be over 4500. Below that it felt gutless compared to the cobra.
Old 08-14-2012, 06:54 PM
TECH Resident

And im willing to bet those cobras blew after sustained pulls without proper cooling mods. From the factory coolant pools in the rear of the driver side head causing #7 and 8 to get extremely hot and voila. Cylinder down. They make kits to allow the coolant to flow back thru the system and cool properly.

Those cars spun a bearing due to heat. I did the same in my old DSM years ago running a big turbo on a sidemount intercooler to be stealthy. Detonated and spun a bearing as the intercooler could not keep up

Last edited by big reg; 08-14-2012 at 07:17 PM.
Old 08-14-2012, 08:00 PM
10 Second Club

Mine has the coolant mod. So now your telling me you have to do mods to keep them alive. I think you just proved my point.
Old 08-14-2012, 08:15 PM
TECH Resident

Mine has the coolant mod. So now your telling me you have to do mods to keep them alive. I think you just proved my point.
Oh boy. My car makes 300rwhp more than a stock cobra. If you want it to live by raising the boost and running a bigger blower and generating more heat than i guess so. Head cooling mod is 100- 150 for a kitcand a lot cheaper if you make your own. Most who do it the right way want it to stay together. Thermostat, dual pass heat exchanger, larger intercooler tank, head cooling mod, killer chiller etc... All relatively cheap mods if you want to call them that for added insurance.

Boost from top mounted blowers builds tremendous heat. The intercooler is very small under the blower and being on top heatsoaks easy from engine heat alone let alone sustained high speed runs where iat's rise quickly. Most ls1 motors die at 525 or so from boost due to the heat generated. Most tuners will tell you anything over 8 psi is borrowed time.
Old 08-14-2012, 08:36 PM
On The Tree

Mine is half assed

I don't have the head cooling mod, but I don't hot lap it either.
Old 08-14-2012, 08:44 PM
TECH Resident

Mine is half assed

I don't have the head cooling mod, but I don't hot lap it either.
I wouldnt say no head cooling mod is half assed. More so swapping blowers and doing nothing more than a bap and injectors and wondering why the car pulls timing after sustained runs and then eventually pops. I know of several cars over 700 rwhp on stock long blocks for quite some time. My has been on this setup for over 10k miles and gets run pretty hard.
Old 08-14-2012, 09:07 PM
On The Tree

Mine has been on the same set up for 2 1/2 years. I ran it a lot when I bought it 3 years ago, but since I started back on my race car; I've just been dd'ing it. Apparently they are weak and hard on rod bearings, wish I had known that 3 years ago before I started racing it and beating on it.
Old 08-14-2012, 09:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

I have seen a lot of local Terminators fail with power below 500 in the last 10 years. I am sure it is due to tuning and heat soak related failures. Sans the pistons its a pretty stout shortblock though.
Old 08-14-2012, 09:17 PM
TECH Resident

Way too many cobras run canned tunes from hand held tuners. I would never run a canned predator pulley tune without dynoing the car. There are a lot of idiots running around driving cobras it seems.
Old 08-14-2012, 09:27 PM
On The Tree

A lot of people tune them that have no knowledge of the cars other than the forged motor means they can lean on them harder to get a bigger dyno number.

Quick Reply: whats its take for a ls1 to beat a pullied 03 cobra?