Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

MysticZ28 vs 2013 5.0

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2012, 07:11 PM
12 Second Club

Received 51 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Redfire 03
Why the small stall with a 306? Those cams are all midrange/top-end.
Had the stall for several years before the cam. Yeah for best results a big stall would have helped the car a lot. I did some roll stuff and it was my DD so I never found it to be a problem. That cam had awesome top end, ruined the down low torque though. Car wasn't as much fun around town and I ended up trading it in.
Old 09-05-2012, 07:16 PM
12 Second Club

Received 51 Likes on 37 Posts

And my car cost 4x than what yours did. Does that make me cool? Noooo....
I still think it does.

Originally Posted by marc97taws6
Damn, how big of a cam are you looking at?

What do you define as a small stall? I liked my Yank SS3600

Was wondering the same, but I'll see what his definition of a small stall is. I love how much my old LT WS6 picked up from just a stall and some gears
It was a 2200 Precision, at the time I had driven a few lt1 cars with 3800+ stalls and thought they were too much to DD, I went a little smaller than I should have.
Old 09-05-2012, 07:18 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by S8ER95Z
Had the stall for several years before the cam. Yeah for best results a big stall would have helped the car a lot. I did some roll stuff and it was my DD so I never found it to be a problem. That cam had awesome top end, ruined the down low torque though. Car wasn't as much fun around town and I ended up trading it in.
Agree on that. The 306, 847 or anything along those lines is not what you want for a DD. Ported heads and a spot-on tune help tremendously though.
Old 09-05-2012, 08:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by S8ER95Z
I had driven a few lt1 cars with 3800+ stalls and thought they were too much to DD, I went a little smaller than I should have.
I enjoyed my SS3600. Bought it with plans in future to add heads and cam but I'm glad I sold the car when I did. Miss having a toy but I had no time for it back then. Pretty bad that my dad and a friend probably drove it more than me that summer
Old 09-05-2012, 08:40 PM
10 Second Club

Received 252 Likes on 164 Posts

Cost 4x and still slower. So your point is? You'll still get embarrassed in a race. But hey least you have room to suck dick in the back seat.
Old 09-05-2012, 08:52 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Damn, how big of a cam are you looking at?
Not sure, Not willing to make valve reliefs though. So probably around MS3ish size. Cams that big NEED 4.10s. Id go small cam but they really don't yield impressive results unless they have some heads on em, and right now money is tight.
Old 09-05-2012, 09:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Lol...really?! Had to throw that in there did ya? Yes Red, it makes you cool and all that stuff....

Originally Posted by ohioborn80
Cost 4x and still slower. So your point is? You'll still get embarrassed in a race. But hey least you have room to suck dick in the back seat.
Ouch! You guys still aren't friends yet? wtf!

I love seeing the different ends of the spectrum brought together...
Old 09-05-2012, 09:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by adamantium
Not sure, Not willing to make valve reliefs though. So probably around MS3ish size. Cams that big NEED 4.10s. Id go small cam but they really don't yield impressive results unless they have some heads on em, and right now money is tight.
Really? Again, I have to disagree with the non-yielding of "impressive results" with "small" cams. You really need to get your hands dirty and read up a little too maybe. All your misinformation is going to catch up with you... Just sayin'...oblique statments. With the setup you have, a cam that requires fly cutting isn't even a viable option for optimal results. Sure it CAN be, but wow lol! I really want to agree with you, but I just can't do it lol.
Old 09-05-2012, 10:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

You can pick up a few mid-sized cams that will yield good numbers if setup properly.

MS3 wouldn't be bad. I'd swing for some heads if you could.

Originally Posted by oddwraith
I love seeing the different ends of the spectrum brought together...
Lol I wonder why
Old 09-05-2012, 10:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

Really? Again, I have to disagree with the non-yielding of "impressive results" with "small" cams. You really need to get your hands dirty and read up a little too maybe. All your misinformation is going to catch up with you... Just sayin'...oblique statments. With the setup you have, a cam that requires fly cutting isn't even a viable option for optimal results. Sure it CAN be, but wow lol! I really want to agree with you, but I just can't do it lol.
Agree.

That is totally wrong. I gained 6 tenths and 5 mile an hour with 323 gears and a small cam. I suggest you do more research. Stock heads are not bad even the 98-99 ones. The cam is where the power is and now days a small cammed nice combo car will dust most donkey dick cams easy. Cant tell you how many trex,polluter cam,MS4 cams run like crap on most LS1s...

You can pick up a few mid-sized cams that will yield good numbers if setup properly.

MS3 wouldn't be bad. I'd swing for some heads if you could.

Lol I wonder why

Correct
Old 09-05-2012, 11:09 PM
Banned

Which is why i said i am still doing research. Do you have a cam?

Originally Posted by Mike Morris

That is totally wrong. I gained 6 tenths and 5 mile an hour with 323 gears and a small cam. I suggest you do more research. Stock heads are not bad even the 98-99 ones. The cam is where the power is and now days a small cammed nice combo car will dust most donkey dick cams easy. Cant tell you how many trex,polluter cam,MS4 cams run like crap on most LS1s...

Whats the specs on your cam? Id really like some results like that.
Old 09-05-2012, 11:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

i had a variety of cams and different setups in my GTO.... all the different setups taught me.... was the cam is the LAST thing you should do to a car. Sure pretty much any cam yields awesome gains to the LS. But if youre building a proper setup to get the best power through the curve as well as top end gains... you spec the cam last around how your heads/intake flow and how much you plan on reving the car/gearing...etc...
Old 09-05-2012, 11:53 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

LMAO!!! Straight poor Ohio
Old 09-06-2012, 12:25 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by evangto87
i had a variety of cams and different setups in my GTO.... all the different setups taught me.... was the cam is the LAST thing you should do to a car. Sure pretty much any cam yields awesome gains to the LS. But if youre building a proper setup to get the best power through the curve as well as top end gains... you spec the cam last around how your heads/intake flow and how much you plan on reving the car/gearing...etc...
To be honest, i just want a cam that can take me to 119mph traps, atleast. I really don't care WHAT i have to get as far as supporting mods for the cam. What yielded best results for you?
Old 09-06-2012, 12:48 AM
10 Second Club

To all those 5.0 guys ,stop being mad cause a nearly stock fbody beat it from a dig , no excuses..no traction problems nothing.in the roll ok the lid cat back stock fbody lost by how much? Not by half a car it was hanging pretty good.gotta give props
Old 09-06-2012, 01:07 AM
10 Second Club

Lol was reading a few pages from the SVT place, cobra owners cry alot...lol
Old 09-06-2012, 02:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

To be honest, i just want a cam that can take me to 119mph traps, atleast. I really don't care WHAT i have to get as far as supporting mods for the cam. What yielded best results for you?
it really all depends... what are you doing with heads? I had a set of ported afr 205 heads paired with a 236/242 cam in it. That setup was strong only when i added a circle d 4000 converter. But the car was fast... especially for something that still had stock gear and an ls6 intake on it. But unless your going 4.10+ gear.... stay away from big cams. And dont give into that big cam hype. Yes my car had the best results with a bigger cam....but it was also a race car...
Old 09-06-2012, 02:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1_MEANZ28
To all those 5.0 guys ,stop being mad cause a nearly stock fbody beat it from a dig , no excuses..no traction problems nothing.in the roll ok the lid cat back stock fbody lost by how much? Not by half a car it was hanging pretty good.gotta give props
im far from mad... i actually stated that i thought it was good races and thats how i would have expected it to go...
Old 09-06-2012, 03:25 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by evangto87
it really all depends... what are you doing with heads? I had a set of ported afr 205 heads paired with a 236/242 cam in it. That setup was strong only when i added a circle d 4000 converter. But the car was fast... especially for something that still had stock gear and an ls6 intake on it. But unless your going 4.10+ gear.... stay away from big cams. And dont give into that big cam hype. Yes my car had the best results with a bigger cam....but it was also a race car...
Im looking to stay stock headed for now. At this point im just saving till i decide what i want to do. Tuning my bolt on setup would be $500 which would yield like 20rwhp. Was thinking of just waiting till i get the cam, and tuning it then.
Old 09-06-2012, 07:53 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ohioborn80

That one hurt, huh?

Originally Posted by CyberGrey Z28
LMAO!!! Straight poor Ohio
Had to do it man. lol

Quick Reply: MysticZ28 vs 2013 5.0