Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Buick Regal vs LS3 Camaro and Boss 302

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2012, 11:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Raoul-Duke
I envy both of you. I had to pay for all four years. My monthly student loan payment is as much to where I could own a new ZR1.
I got a few small private scholarships and qualified for much more. Since my parents claimed me, I was put in their income bracket and didn't receive anything. Probably for the best, at least your tax dollars are going to those who supposedly need it.

I'm blessed my parents planned to have a kid and setup the 529 account. I also saved 50% of what I made in Jr high, high school, so that helped a lot. Definitely a selfless move on his part. My dad worked full time during college and got a 3.92 gpa in finance/accounting and was a 4.0 MBA grad student, so he knew the importance of it.
Originally Posted by willizm
Same here. Just don't waste it on a useless degree. I see that all too often unfortunately.
I have a buddy from Minnesota who has $120k in student loans for his 4 yr undergrad in Psychology. Never got an internship, so when nobody hired him at the career fair, decided to go to grad school to rack up more debt apparently lol
I hear that man. I got a buddy who owes close to 100k just for a History major.

I'm a finance major / accounting minor and I still had a hard time finding a decent job in my field. Only real guarantee it seems these days is medical or IT. This country isn't what it used to be.
I'm doubling in Finance and Accounting and will have enough credits to sit for the CPA exam. I will likely use future employer benefits and go for an MBA as well. Might be working this summer and taking next fall off for an internship. Before that, I just did summer only internships.
Thats correct. I went into IT and work as a PM in the medical systems world. It's a good industry, for now anyway. I know far to many people with paper weight degrees in history, arts, and psychology. It's sad that some people don't think about the future and go to college for "kewl kid" degrees, rack up debt, and end up working at Barnes and Noble.
Happens too often
Old 11-28-2012, 11:29 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by marc97taws6
I got a few small private scholarships and qualified for much more. Since my parents claimed me, I was put in their income bracket and didn't receive anything. Probably for the best, at least your tax dollars are going to those who supposedly need it.

I'm blessed my parents planned to have a kid and setup the 529 account. I also saved 50% of what I made in Jr high, high school, so that helped a lot. Definitely a selfless move on his part. My dad worked full time during college and got a 3.92 gpa in finance/accounting and was a 4.0 MBA grad student, so he knew the importance of it.

I have a buddy from Minnesota who has $120k in student loans for his 4 yr undergrad in Psychology. Never got an internship, so when nobody hired him at the career fair, decided to go to grad school to rack up more debt apparently lol

I'm doubling in Finance and Accounting and will have enough credits to sit for the CPA exam. I will likely use future employer benefits and go for an MBA as well. Might be working this summer and taking next fall off for an internship. Before that, I just did summer only internships.
Damn you were personally saving for college in Jr. High? You've got a good head on your shoulders man. lol

I'm looking to go back and getting my MBA in a year, I wanted to at least get 2 years of work experience, chip away some debt, before I went forward with it. But I have many friends that just did the long haul and kept going after their undergrad.

Good Luck dude!
Old 11-28-2012, 11:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

Damn you were personally saving for college in Jr. High? You've got a good head on your shoulders man. lol

I'm looking to go back and getting my MBA in a year, I wanted to at least get 2 years of work experience, chip away some debt, before I went forward with it. But I have many friends that just did the long haul and kept going after their undergrad.

Good Luck dude!
Thanks!

Well, I was more or less forced to by my dad. I was OK with it, I mean my first job at BK when I was 14 I was putting 75% of what I made into college. Made like $1/hr after taxes at first to spend on myself lol

Then when I got into the restaurant job at 16, I reduced it to 50%, but I was still putting in a lot. We also made the deal when I was young that if I invested X in my Roth IRA, he would match it. Wish I still had that deal now. Putting aside ~$420/mo to fully fund my Roth kind of sucks as a college student.

I'm thinking MBA route while working. Would take 3-5 years to complete, be a lot of work, but it would be worth it in the end
Old 11-28-2012, 12:32 PM
11 Second Club

Received 77 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by camaro98z28
I smell more BS in this thread or is that OJ?
I guess it's now a college discussion..which is a good thing..I'm in school too.

It may be a diversion to secretly buy Ju1ce some time so he can photoshop a timeslip and video edit a track pass.

Old 11-28-2012, 12:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by the_merv
I guess it's now a college discussion..which is a good thing..I'm in school too.

It may be a diversion to secretly buy Ju1ce some time so he can photoshop a timeslip and video edit a track pass.

He paid me... I'm upset about it too

Lol jk
Old 11-28-2012, 12:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks!

Well, I was more or less forced to by my dad. I was OK with it, I mean my first job at BK when I was 14 I was putting 75% of what I made into college. Made like $1/hr after taxes at first to spend on myself lol

Then when I got into the restaurant job at 16, I reduced it to 50%, but I was still putting in a lot. We also made the deal when I was young that if I invested X in my Roth IRA, he would match it. Wish I still had that deal now. Putting aside ~$420/mo to fully fund my Roth kind of sucks as a college student.

I'm thinking MBA route while working. Would take 3-5 years to complete, be a lot of work, but it would be worth it in the end
Thats awesome man, It is worth it, especially down the road when we're old men lol

Yeah I was a dishwasher when I was 16. Got a job as a teller when I was 17 and was in banking while going to school until April 2008 when the market was really "shining".

If I only saved my money like you growing up, especially through highschool I would only owe two out of the four years that I do. But I would have never had my 94 LT1 or 04 GTO
Old 11-28-2012, 12:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thats awesome man, It is worth it, especially down the road when we're old men lol

Yeah I was a dishwasher when I was 16. Got a job as a teller when I was 17 and was in banking while going to school until April 2008 when the market was really "shining".

If I only saved my money like you growing up, especially through highschool I would only owe two out of the four years that I do. But I would have never had my 94 LT1 or 04 GTO
Yeah, I did the whole teller thing these past few summers.

Some days I miss my old 97 WS6, but I sold it for Roth/college expenses/savings.

I still can't complain at 22 owning a truck, jetski, and boat, and having $0 school debt to worry about. Only loan I have is on my jet ski to build credit.
Old 11-28-2012, 12:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yeah, I did the whole teller thing these past few summers.

Some days I miss my old 97 WS6, but I sold it for Roth/college expenses/savings.

I still can't complain at 22 owning a truck, jetski, and boat, and having $0 school debt to worry about. Only loan I have is on my jet ski to build credit.
No not at all man, I'd say you're in a damn good spot. I'm paying off my Lexus (DD) but thats pretty much it.

I'm lucky to even still have my Z28. The smart thing woulda been to sell it some years back, but I've been biting the bullet these last 18mths as far as living quite "frugal" to have both. With this years end I can finally start modding it more seriously.

But in the end, It's just a money pit lol
Old 11-28-2012, 01:02 PM
Teching In

I have a bunch of those fake art degrees. Double BA in Cinema with emphasis on production, and communications with emphasis on field work/production. Also a minor in photography, associates in liberal arts.

I'll never land a 9-5 job at a desk

You can find me working the coffee shop at your local barns and noble.
Old 11-28-2012, 01:16 PM
9 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Ju1ce
I have a bunch of those fake art degrees. Double BA in Cinema with emphasis on production, and communications with emphasis on field work/production. Also a minor in photography, associates in liberal arts.

I'll never land a 9-5 job at a desk

You can find me working the coffee shop at your local barns and noble.
It's all in what you make with it. I have a buddy with a graphic design degree that makes good money, owner of a gallery and is a lead designer. If you are good at what you do then you'll find yourself in a good situation. If you are just ok at it, well that may be an issue in fields that are overpopulated with skilled people and not enough jobs to go around.
Old 11-28-2012, 01:23 PM
9 Second Club

Hot damn, that's alot of money in education. I was a little lucky in my situation because I only had to pay for a portion of my education in a way. I was working on an associates degree at a junior college in Network Administration and Security. I got a job at a clinical group in town while I was still going to school. I got my associates degree and wanted to get a bachelors in CIS. I convinced my employer to pay for it. They paid, I graduated, I left a year later and got a better job elsewhere.
Old 11-28-2012, 01:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Hot damn, that's alot of money in education. I was a little lucky in my situation because I only had to pay for a portion of my education in a way. I was working on an associates degree at a junior college in Network Administration and Security. I got a job at a clinical group in town while I was still going to school. I got my associates degree and wanted to get a bachelors in CIS. I convinced my employer to pay for it. They paid, I graduated, I left a year later and got a better job elsewhere.
Lucky Bastid
Old 11-28-2012, 01:31 PM
9 Second Club

Lucky Bastid
I was lucky but I worked hard for it too. Worked full time, school full time, all while having a baby at home. I have a hard time wanting more kids just because I value sleeping now. I took the opportunity and ran with it. Half the times I was running on fumes though. lol
Old 11-28-2012, 01:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I was lucky but I worked hard for it too. Worked full time, school full time, all while having a baby at home. I have a hard time wanting more kids just because I value sleeping now. I took the opportunity and ran with it. Half the times I was running on fumes though. lol
Def hear ya man, props to you especially with a child. Some of my friends have had kids that are my age and like you said, seeing them, Well lets just say my hat is off big time to you folks. lol
Old 11-30-2012, 05:24 AM
10 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Some of those cinema degrees go a long way. I personally dont have any, but my brother is one of the top regarded Jib camera operatorson the east coast. Ive worked with him on Good Morning America, done the Dick Clark New Years show, a behind the music with a few artists, worked at MTV, etc. When he talks about what he does, where he goes, and how much money he makes, those degrees start looking pretty good.
Old 11-30-2012, 08:37 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Sail Hatan
Some of those cinema degrees go a long way. I personally dont have any, but my brother is one of the top regarded Jib camera operatorson the east coast. Ive worked with him on Good Morning America, done the Dick Clark New Years show, a behind the music with a few artists, worked at MTV, etc. When he talks about what he does, where he goes, and how much money he makes, those degrees start looking pretty good.
These cases are few and rare. It's all about how dedicated you are, networking, and the people you know.

But nonetheless, that is pretty damn badass.
Old 11-30-2012, 09:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Sail Hatan
Definitely a rare case. Kind of like when an entrepreneur came into the fraternity for a talk and told us he works 10 hrs a week and makes $300k/yr on the products he made that only took him a few hours to make.

Yep, because every business owner has the same results...

That is awesome for him though - good to see he got his foot in the door and made something of it

Quick Reply: Buick Regal vs LS3 Camaro and Boss 302