Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

2v + more boost = puppy kicked Cobalt SS/TC

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2012, 01:16 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Heater
So 10 bolt axles are probably stronger than 8.8 axles...learn something new everyday.
Bwaahaahaha I learned that too
Old 09-23-2012, 07:13 AM
10 Second Club

Received 480 Likes on 377 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Originally Posted by Ryans99ls1
I seriously hope you arent as big of douche in real life but i doubt it.

A 1 shift race? Almost every roll i have done starts in second and goes through 4th.. thats 3 gears, 2 shifts and 40-130(ish).

The point is that we're actually looking for a CLOSE race. Close races are more exciting and usually you get that from a roll because there are less factors at play. This isnt a goddamn dick measuring contest with money on the line.
I like to use all the gears and hang my weiner out the window as I pass the guy just to be sure I have that covered too.

FYI....I did'nt know that anytime a turbo and or stroked and turbo stuff was built that there was a budget.....ya'lls budget must be a little bigger than mine.
Originally Posted by marc97taws6
When is the LS7 going in? Plans for that?
It has been rebuilt to stock with the 24th reluctor and converted to wet sump.
Originally Posted by adamantium
Yes.

I was referring to those ignorant people, the ones who think weight isn't a big deal. Those guys are usually the ones who have a mediocre running car, instead of a car that runs above the rest.

Lettuce be cereal here, our cars weigh a **** ton. Notice how HIOs car runs the way it runs. He's done alot of tricks here and there to drop weight, but hey at the end of the day look what it traps and E/Ts.
SSSSHHHHH...stop tellin my secrets.

All joking aside. I don't really do it just for acceleration. I do it for overall performance. This car stops and turns like a champ.....the best 4th gen I've ever been in by far. If I were worried about acceleration that much I would've already put a cam in it. Once my next round of parts go on it will be about 30-35lbs lighter.
Old 09-23-2012, 07:20 AM
10 Second Club

LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Originally Posted by Heater
So 10 bolt axles are probably stronger than 8.8 axles...learn something new everyday.
Originally Posted by Turbo2vGT
Bwaahaahaha I learned that too
I've seen 2 8.8 axles break on pretty slow cars.....like 13sec fox body's. I've never seen a 7.5 axle break....other than mine twice. Maybe is was just bad axles for them, but most of my ford friends tend to wanna change them out.

Turbo2v.....when you get around to leaving on turbo powa instead of poopy 2v powa you'll want to change yours too.
Old 09-23-2012, 10:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 68 Likes on 57 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Never ever seen a 10 bolt break an axle-usually housing,ring pinion damage from housing flex. I think you may have axle hopped when you broke yours looking at vids but tough to fell.

8.8 axles suck with any kind of tire upgrade and bolt ons with a fox and a stock, and when the car is heavier than a fox you better upgrade as first mod if you drag race. Upgrade to 31-33 splines/carrier and you are good to go
Old 09-23-2012, 10:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

ive seen quite a bit of sheared axles out of 10 bolts. My buddy let his gf drive his h/c/4.10 f body one day... she twisted the axle letting the clutch out too hard and bogging the car... 10 bolts are absolute junk and should not be in these cars. Lets not defend GMs screw up lol
Old 09-23-2012, 10:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by HioSSilver
I've seen 2 8.8 axles break on pretty slow cars.....like 13sec fox body's. I've never seen a 7.5 axle break....other than mine twice. Maybe is was just bad axles for them, but most of my ford friends tend to wanna change them out.

Turbo2v.....when you get around to leaving on turbo powa instead of poopy 2v powa you'll want to change yours too.
Are you comparing stock fox body axles to aftermarket ones for a 10 bolt?
Old 09-23-2012, 10:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by evangto87
ive seen quite a bit of sheared axles out of 10 bolts. My buddy let his gf drive his h/c/4.10 f body one day... she twisted the axle letting the clutch out too hard and bogging the car... 10 bolts are absolute junk and should not be in these cars. Lets not defend GMs screw up lol
In autos they are fine. I have beat the hell out of mine for three years with sixty foots in the 1.6-1.58 range. Once sixtys in an auto and an average weight car get in the 1.4s its time to upgrade. Now with a stick they are a waste of time for sure for most people...
Old 09-23-2012, 10:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

If i had a 6 spd f body... the car would see a 12 bolt/dana 60, before it got headers..
Old 09-23-2012, 11:49 AM
10 Second Club

LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Are you comparing stock fox body axles to aftermarket ones for a 10 bolt?
stock to stock. 8.8's are good rear once good axles are put in them.
For sure gm screwed up there. But your buddy's gf did not break it.....more than likely he started the break and she was in it when it broke. The 10bolt gets a worse rap from people tring to make it do things it can't do. If you respect it just a little it does fair with a 6m and good with a auto.
Old 09-23-2012, 12:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 159 Likes on 77 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

FYI....I did'nt know that anytime a turbo and or stroked and turbo stuff was built that there was a budget.....ya'lls budget must be a little bigger than mine.

All joking aside. I don't really do it just for acceleration. I do it for overall performance. This car stops and turns like a champ.....the best 4th gen I've ever been in by far. If I were worried about acceleration that much I would've already put a cam in it. Once my next round of parts go on it will be about 30-35lbs lighter.
my build cost less than if i wouldve put AI heads on it, a ported fast and 1-7/8 headers on it like i wanted too. not to mention i wouldve sprayed it, but that woulda put wayyy more than what ive spent in this turbo build. Either way i needed a fuel system too. Turbo builds are not that expensive if youre smart with your money..

and your last comment just goes to show stupid your arguement is. you build YOUR for all around performance. Another guy builds HIS car for something else that HE enjoys.. Now since HE built HIS car different from YOURS, its all ******* wrong.

FWIW my ten bolt twisted an axle before it killed the diff. Girdles make a big a difference on those POS's
Old 09-23-2012, 12:51 PM
10 Second Club

LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Originally Posted by Ryans99ls1
my build cost less than if i wouldve put AI heads on it, a ported fast and 1-7/8 headers on it like i wanted too. not to mention i wouldve sprayed it, but that woulda put wayyy more than what ive spent in this turbo build. Either way i needed a fuel system too. Turbo builds are not that expensive if youre smart with your money..

and your last comment just goes to show stupid your arguement is. you build YOUR for all around performance. Another guy builds HIS car for something else that HE enjoys.. Now since HE built HIS car different from YOURS, its all ******* wrong.

FWIW my ten bolt twisted an axle before it killed the diff. Girdles make a big a difference on those POS's
Care to show me where I said anyone was wrong. I merely indicated the performance wasn't what it should be.

Did you build the turbo get up yourself? I been sayin for years they aren't as expensive as these kits suggest if you can do it yourself. I am capable of building one, I just don't want one for this car.

Most 10bolts kill the diff and ring gears before the axles....or atleast the ones I have seen. I killed 2 sets of 4.10's and never hurt the axles. A buddy broke the diff but the axles were fine. My axles broke not twisted and so far they have been the only ones I have seen or heard breaking.
Old 09-23-2012, 01:00 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What exactly do you plan on throwing on now? I always randomly text notch to see how his car is doing since he's never on here, his car seems fast as **** for what it is.
Old 09-23-2012, 03:27 PM
10 Second Club

LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Originally Posted by adamantium
What exactly do you plan on throwing on now? I always randomly text notch to see how his car is doing since he's never on here, his car seems fast as **** for what it is.
Just some parts I have lightened and some strano springs which are lighter than my Hotchkis springs.

Notches car went on the dyno yesterday to the tune of 341rwhp and 355 or 359 tq....still with exhaust mani's on it...lol We got her goin pretty good. I think with headers , tune and ewp we can get it to upper 360's. That would pretty good for a bolt-on car. It might need a fast to get to up 360's.....but I think it can. Yeah his car runs real good.
Old 09-23-2012, 03:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

LS1Tech 10 Year

That car might go mid 11s easy with bolt ons. Nice job Nathan!
Old 09-23-2012, 03:49 PM
Banned

Just some parts I have lightened and some strano springs which are lighter than my Hotchkis springs.

Notches car went on the dyno yesterday to the tune of 341rwhp and 355 or 359 tq....still with exhaust mani's on it...lol We got her goin pretty good. I think with headers , tune and ewp we can get it to upper 360's. That would pretty good for a bolt-on car. It might need a fast to get to up 360's.....but I think it can. Yeah his car runs real good.
Wow thats ridiculously strong lol. You know how heavy the stock springs are compared to after market ones? I don't even give a **** about the ride height lol.

Originally Posted by Mike Morris
That car might go mid 11s easy with bolt ons. Nice job Nathan!
Thatd be badass.
Old 09-23-2012, 05:17 PM
10 Second Club

LS1Tech 20 Year Member

I don't know what the stock springs weigh. My car came with the slp eibachs on it.

I think with full bolt-ons notches car will see 11's. I don't know how deep because of the 10bolt will be holding his holeshot back some. If he does all my tricks I think it could trap 117-119.
Old 09-23-2012, 05:20 PM
Banned

I don't know what the stock springs weigh. My car came with the slp eibachs on it.

I think with full bolt-ons notches car will see 11's. I don't know how deep because of the 10bolt will be holding his holeshot back some. If he does all my tricks I think it could trap 117-119.
Looking forward to that, any vids of his car running?
Old 09-24-2012, 08:30 AM
Banned

This thread has gotten so far off subject...it's becoming an infinite B.S. thread with a couple of nut swingers.
Old 09-24-2012, 08:34 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by WhiteKnight '01
This thread has gotten so far off subject...it's becoming an infinite B.S. thread with a couple of nut swingers.
agreed. so a turbo2v needs to visit indy
Old 09-24-2012, 09:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i thought there was a race going down..whats up with it?

Quick Reply: 2v + more boost = puppy kicked Cobalt SS/TC