Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

c5 Z06 vs 03 E55 AMG

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2012, 02:00 PM
TECH Addict

Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by chawkins2001
Wow a heavily modded car beating a stock ZR1 with a lame driver doing 126mph!!?? Well if its all youve got, troll.. Youre so butthurt!!
Old 10-29-2012, 02:22 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm a member on both the big AMG board as well as this one obviously. Picked up my E55 about a year ago and I agree your buddies intercooler pump is likely dead. These cars have factory air to water intercoolers and the pumps die every couple years or so. Same as 03-04 cobras. When they die you may as well forget the cars even supercharged because you lose that much power. You can get the pumps online for just over $100 and takes 15 min to put it on. Tell him to order one up and try this again.

On another note lets all remember what is racing here. GM's fastest, lightened and tuned corvette from the same model years as this 4 door luxury sedan. The E55 weighs 42-4300 lbs and literally gives you a massage as your racing. The fact its all over a ZO6's *** stock for stock says a LOT. Also you can get into a nice E55 for 22-25 grand now with descent mileage. Maintenance isn't too bad on these if you can turn wrenches as well. Its the E63 or V12 benz's where maintenance is crazy. The E55 has the power without the crazy maintenance, tons of luxury, 4 doors and a good price right now. It's really kinda something special in its segment right now.
Old 10-29-2012, 02:34 PM
Staging Lane

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

still looks like donkey ****
Old 10-29-2012, 02:49 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnnystock
Wow a heavily modded car beating a stock ZR1 with a lame driver doing 126mph!!?? Well if its all youve got, troll.. Youre so butthurt!!
Enough to beat your flag ship and giving him the jump at the tree.

Been around since 09 playa!
Old 10-29-2012, 02:50 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by adamantium
In many occasions ive seen cars loose power by leaning out more and or not gaining any whp from adding timing.Each engine is different and wants different things. If this wasn't the case then mail order tunes would be bee's knees. There is always an improvement from a stock tune to dyno tune but nothing really major, unless things were changed (part added) to make the best of that tune.
What's to agree on? Evan said a tune is not that beneficial on his car as it would only gain 10-15hp peak. I said a tune is beneficial. It is beneficial on any car even a stock one. There is power to be made anywhere in the curve whether the motor wants more timing and less fuel or vice versa aka (tuning). It's like you say, "what the motor wants". Idk how to make it any clearer for you.
Old 10-29-2012, 02:55 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by V8EATR
I use hptuners to tune stuff and tuned my roomates 02 z after his intake/LT's, off road x. Honestly there wasn't much to be gained. Z's run a good amount of timing stock. I got the fuel straightened out and a bit more timing but nothing major to do. Like evan said, 10whp is what I would guess.
How far off was his ve and maf? What was the final afr/timing you ended up using?
Old 10-29-2012, 03:07 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 99peweterls1
What's to agree on? Evan said a tune is not that beneficial on his car as it would only gain 10-15hp peak. I said a tune is beneficial. It is beneficial on any car even a stock one. There is power to be made anywhere in the curve whether the motor wants more timing and less fuel or vice versa aka (tuning). It's like you say, "what the motor wants". Idk how to make it any clearer for you.
Oh sorry didn't read through the thread just read the last 2 comments on this page, my bad.
Old 10-29-2012, 03:24 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by adamantium
Oh sorry didn't read through the thread just read the last 2 comments on this page, my bad.
No problem, it's a long day at work for me also.
Old 11-06-2012, 02:48 AM
Sawzall and Welder Mod

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The same exact thing happened to me not too long after I got my E55. My GF and I were headed back from a weekend in Miami Beach on I95 and got a few runs in with a guy about my age in a C6Z. I knew I was going to lose but can't back down as long as the conditions are safe.

The horizon was only peppered with maybe two or three cars in the foreseeable miles ahead so we both let it go. I got raped worse than I have in a street race since I was a kid. That bad. That Z put a football field on me in about fifteen seconds. We tried again and i jumped him on the rematch just for a laugh. Kevin VanDam couldn't have reeled me in any faster than this guy as I wondered if maybe my floormat was stuck under the gas pedal causing a half throttle condition.
. I was sure my IC pump must have gone south for the winter so I ordered up the updated Bosch 010 pump that is a common cause of "NA power only" conditions on these cars as the spiked IACs trigger the supercharger clutch to disengage, saving piston ringlands.
Nope. Not only was my pump flowing just fine when I hotwire tested it before removal, but it was already the upgraded 010 pump that the previous owner must have had installed.

So there was nothing wrong with my car, just a matter of being outpowered by another car with a 1000 lb weight advantage and most likely a CD advantage as well.

These cars are sickeningly easy to make faster however, kind of like a crew cab Terminator. I'm skipping all the Mickey Mouse mods and waiting for one of two companies to release their Whipple upgrade for it, along with a set of 1 7/8 ARH longtubes and make a 10 sec daily out of it. Both companies are bullshi77ing though and keep bumping back the release.

Great vids from the OP, but what was the point of cutting in front of him after you beat him? Trying to prevent the ricer flyby?
Old 11-06-2012, 01:43 PM

Good kill!

I raced a stock 2004 E55 recently and we were about door to door. I'm going to run my friend's 2009 C63 in a little while, so I'll let you know how it goes.
Old 11-06-2012, 01:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ScreaminRedZ
Good kill!

I raced a stock 2004 E55 recently and we were about door to door. I'm going to run my friend's 2009 C63 in a little while, so I'll let you know how it goes.
i expect a vid sent to my phone for work entertainment
Old 11-06-2012, 01:48 PM
Staging Lane

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by 99peweterls1
How far off was his ve and maf? What was the final afr/timing you ended up using?
I wanna say the maf curve was off by about 3-5% tops. I didnt have to change that a bunch. Timing ended up @26*, thats all it would take before it started seeing KR.
Old 11-06-2012, 03:00 PM

No videos because it was just the two of us, but I got him by 1.5-2 cars from 50-130 mph.

Quick Reply: c5 Z06 vs 03 E55 AMG