Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Supercharged C6Z vs Alpha 9 GTR

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2012, 09:50 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Problem for the blown z06 in this race is that the while the rwhp numbers would appear to give it an advantage against this gtr, the fact is supercharged m6 tranny cars lose boost between shifts even if for a few tenths or hundreds of a second. This combined with, as we all know, the gtr's super-duper tranny are why the results of this race turned out like it did. I bet the z06 with 4.10s would have fared better though. If it would hook.
Old 10-16-2012, 09:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

....and thats why people should powershift when in such situations. Nght and day difference.
Old 10-16-2012, 09:59 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by V-seriesTech
....and thats why people should powershift when in such situations. Nght and day difference.
Right on, guy in the vid wasn't I assume??? That must be why some cars run so much better than others (blown) with similar setups....
Old 10-16-2012, 10:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by jbs02somws6
Right on, guy in the vid wasn't I assume??? That must be why some cars run so much better than others (blown) with similar setups....

Couldn't tell you. Watched the vid yesterday from my cell...simply replying to his comment. Not sure if your being sarcastic or not(gonna vote yes), either way,..yes,...any setup, provided traction,..is always best to powershift. Results, always better.

You laugh but,...you'd be surprised, or not, to see how many people suck *** at shifting gears. It's pitiful in my opinion.

..enter the paddle shifted cars and the non gear bangers that bye them. The dudes that don't buy them,..put in autos. I find it comical. I don't even need TV. I get the drama(GTR boards)the token homos-(GTR boards) the action(racing vids)....and the comedy...douchebags and they're gear mishaps.
Old 10-16-2012, 10:53 PM
10 Second Club

Received 252 Likes on 164 Posts

That GTR impressed...z not so much.
Old 10-17-2012, 01:21 AM
11 Second Club

I always powershift when racing but Im not sure that would be enough to compensate for the lightning quick shifts of the gtr auto..a pdk trans in the domestic would def equalize the situation
Old 10-17-2012, 06:59 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by speedshifterNC
I always powershift when racing but Im not sure that would be enough to compensate for the lightning quick shifts of the gtr auto..a pdk trans in the domestic would def equalize the situation
Horsepower. According to your sig.....your gonna have your hands full with a stock one. Keep the car in power, keep your shifts on point...shouldn't need any special 25+k trans to win races but...some obviously do.
Old 10-17-2012, 08:52 AM

The boost is gonna drop after shifts, even if it's power shifted. Just the nature of those blowers. That said, powershifting always helps (as long as there's traction).

People have to keep in mind the power under the curve too. From what I've seen, those modded GT-R's have a very flat power curve up top. That Z06 with a centri blower is going to be very peaky in comparison.
Old 10-17-2012, 09:26 AM
TECH Regular

Nice videos. Thanks for the daylight runs.
Old 10-17-2012, 09:34 AM
9 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Turbo's are typically more effected by shifts than supercharged cars. At least it's belt driven for blower cars whereas spooling up a larger turbo after the shift becomes a little bit more lag intensive. This is why cars like the GT-R are so damn impressive for the weight that they are. Lightning quick shifts with very little to no lose of spool makes for a highly efficient design.
Old 10-17-2012, 10:14 AM
TECH Apprentice

thats a pretty good display racing against a well modded gtr. most people who run a modded gtr get walked hard and usually the gtr will have less power. to lose by only a car and a half is pretty good overall.

OP. have either one of you guys gone to the track? or did a vbox pull?
Old 10-17-2012, 10:25 AM
11 Second Club

I was just saying its proven that modern automatics are faster than a powershifted manual when power is similar..not that Id ever choose a auto over a manual bc of the fun/skill factors
Old 10-17-2012, 10:28 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Slow and slow. Should have both bought stalled 5th Gens.
Old 10-17-2012, 10:44 AM
9 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Everyone knows that automatics are gay and that Manuals are fastz0rz
Old 10-17-2012, 11:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

this is just a prime example of why i WILL NOT switch to a 6060 trans as an upgrade over my getreg. I will just be patient and build it. My trans keeps me at peak power through every gear 100 percent of the time.. and i have a 5.0 reving 7800. Most of the time, people blame the actual manual shift for losing ground against a GTR/auto car..when in fact, most of the ground is actually lost in the half second to full second after each gear change due to dropping power going into the next gear. Centri cars are the WORST with this. If your car is matching the acceleration of the other car at the very top of each gear, prepare to lose some ground even with a killer shift time. The GTR is so awesome NOT because of its transmission shift time (which is def fast), but because of its close ratios. My getreg trans does get a lot of flack because it can be fragile (which btw, the fastest m6 getreg car is trapping almost 150), the ratios make it better then any tremec you can buy. Sure the tremecs are stronger.. but that to doesnt justify losing so much ground for the swap. The reason my car is overly fast for its power to weight ratio, is the transmission. Im putting down power the way a stalled auto would put it down. I make peak power from 6300 to 7800.. and the trans keeps it in that rpm range. If this z06 had a transmission gearing of that nature, im willing to bet the results would have been opposite.
Old 10-17-2012, 01:10 PM
Teching In

Stock clutch = No powershifting/no lift
Old 10-17-2012, 04:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

After owning a nitrous 6speed,, a procharged 6 speed, and a twin turbo six speed......and driving manuals for the past 17years,....power shifting is effectivein all applications. Blower, works off engine rpm, so how it wouldn't matter to powershift with that...I dunno what you mean. Turbos, obviously effected by the velocity of the exhaust,...would obviously benefit from power shifting. ... na matters...etc......it all matters. Always. It always will......
Old 10-17-2012, 04:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by ScreaminRedZ
The boost is gonna drop after shifts, even if it's power shifted. Just the nature of those blowers. That said, powershifting always helps (as long as there's traction).

People have to keep in mind the power under the curve too. From what I've seen, those modded GT-R's have a very flat power curve up top. That Z06 with a centri blower is going to be very peaky in comparison.
Originally Posted by rzmnco
Stock clutch = No powershifting/no lift

Wrong.
Old 10-17-2012, 04:51 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by LightningTeg
Autos are only good for drag racing and getting groceries lol what are you guys smoking
Then why bother getting a manual... oh wait, some of us want to act like little high school kids thats why.
Old 10-17-2012, 04:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by V-seriesTech
Wrong.
i think what he meant by boost dropping is that once you let the clutch out, regardless of if u never lifted off the gas, the motor is going to be at a certain rpm and with a blower as you know, its boost is dictated by the rpm of the motor.

Quick Reply: Supercharged C6Z vs Alpha 9 GTR