Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

H/c Ta vs bolt on 5.0 and C6

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2012, 04:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 67 Likes on 56 Posts

Do a search on SVT forums last November...

I went to Cecil with 6 bolt on 5.0s and one Boss. 2 5.0s had E85. Other two has mods like Ohio's old car. Boss had full exhaust and tune.

Best time for Stangs was 11.5. Best MPH 119 was for e85 car on littles and gutted interior. Best for me 11.4. Best MPH 117. Oh yea I had stock heads untouched then and ran with full interior,jack and spare in the car along with stock wheels with all sway bars on and hooked up. 5.0 guys then wanted to run on I-95. They all lost again. 20-40MPH rolls. Of course I knew this would happen when they put the interior,sway bars,side mirrors etc back in. 5.0s are fast-much faster than a LS1 with the same mods or stock to stock there is no comparison. I got flamed years ago for stating this. But if you have a ported heads,cam and lose to a near full weight 5.0 bolt on car there is something seriously amiss with your car. I am willing to run any of them. Customers at JPC HATE my Ls for this same reason. At OC killed them all and last year killed a bolt on one with someone else driving my car.

If I was the OP I would get some gears in that car(that is KILLING him),fast intake with bigger TB and a new tuner. OP stating on first page he can outrun faster heads cam cars is not true. I bet Cobratootallnotch would hang with that car up to 3rd gear.

Got a fast bolt on 5.0? Then bring it to Cecil and try to outrun me. And my mods SUCK for a heads cam car..
Old 10-25-2012, 04:30 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^^^ lol... One day soon you are gonna get a brutal reality check with a 5.0.... The cars have potential.... Its going to be easy to take your money. I know of a 5.0 with on e85 (not even full bolt ons) that runs 122+ easy.... Not all cars run the same amigo...
Old 10-25-2012, 04:34 PM
10 Second Club

Received 252 Likes on 164 Posts

Wbt has full bolt ons runs 124
Old 10-25-2012, 04:44 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Mike Morris
Do a search on SVT forums last November...

I went to Cecil with 6 bolt on 5.0s and one Boss. 2 5.0s had E85. Other two has mods like Ohio's old car. Boss had full exhaust and tune.

Best time for Stangs was 11.5. Best MPH 119 was for e85 car on littles and gutted interior. Best for me 11.4. Best MPH 117. Oh yea I had stock heads untouched then and ran with full interior,jack and spare in the car along with stock wheels with all sway bars on and hooked up. 5.0 guys then wanted to run on I-95. They all lost again. 20-40MPH rolls. Of course I knew this would happen when they put the interior,sway bars,side mirrors etc back in. 5.0s are fast-much faster than a LS1 with the same mods or stock to stock there is no comparison. I got flamed years ago for stating this. But if you have a ported heads,cam and lose to a near full weight 5.0 bolt on car there is something seriously amiss with your car. I am willing to run any of them. Customers at JPC HATE my Ls for this same reason. At OC killed them all and last year killed a bolt on one with someone else driving my car.

If I was the OP I would get some gears in that car(that is KILLING him),fast intake with bigger TB and a new tuner. OP stating on first page he can outrun faster heads cam cars is not true. I bet Cobratootallnotch would hang with that car up to 3rd gear.

Got a fast bolt on 5.0? Then bring it to Cecil and try to outrun me. And my mods SUCK for a heads cam car..
So dumb
Old 10-25-2012, 04:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 67 Likes on 56 Posts

Been around tons of 5.0s. No hate here. Want to run for fun. Money races I would use one of my faster cars. That's not what my retort implied or met
Old 10-25-2012, 05:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well hopefully saturday Mike, I can show you that they run a little better then you have experienced. Then in the future i will again with a full exhaust etc.

Im also not sure why anyone pulls weight out of the interior. There is literally no weight savings by doing this except giving everyone the reason to say you have a gutted car. My seats weigh nothing. Plenty of other ways to save weight in these cars. Sound like some of the 5.0 guys are too damn cheap to buy parts that save weight, so they just try and rip weight out the absurd way.
Old 10-25-2012, 05:13 PM
Staging Lane

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by ZYBORG
^^^ lol... One day soon you are gonna get a brutal reality check with a 5.0.... The cars have potential.... Its going to be easy to take your money. I know of a 5.0 with on e85 (not even full bolt ons) that runs 122+ easy.... Not all cars run the same amigo...

lol.
If by potential you mean built/boosted cars, any car has potential.
Old 10-25-2012, 05:14 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by evangto87
Well hopefully saturday Mike, I can show you that they run a little better then you have experienced. Then in the future i will again with a full exhaust etc.

Im also not sure why anyone pulls weight out of the interior. There is literally no weight savings by doing this except giving everyone the reason to say you have a gutted car. My seats weigh nothing. Plenty of other ways to save weight in these cars. Sound like some of the 5.0 guys are too damn cheap to buy parts that save weight, so they just try and rip weight out the absurd way.
Dude, you have a low weight car, duh your seats weigh nothing... lol.
Regular cars you can save a **** TON on seats.
Old 10-25-2012, 05:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

yes and no. My car was 3550 stock. There are some parts of the car that save weight... while other stuff adds weight. For example.. the brembos are about 30lbs heavier then standard brakes, my exhaust is about 15lbs heavier, my wheels are heavier then the Gts. I have the same back seats as the GTs (which ill be spending the money to buy the Laguna seca seat delete). Also yes my seats are lighter. But if theres one thing i learned with my GTO about pulling the passenger seat out....it was the heaviest seat id ever felt. Removing it, by itself, did absolutely nothing. In fact it did so little, my 60-130 vbox times were all the fastest with it in. Goes to show you that a slightly better shift (even in an auto) has more of an effect then a passenger seat being removed. Seriously all removing the seat does, is allow people to use the excuse you gutted your car. Leave the damn seats in.
Old 10-25-2012, 05:21 PM
Staging Lane

On a 5th gen you pull all seats and just put 1 race seat you save like 50-100lbs.
Old 10-25-2012, 05:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 2SSARME
On a 5th gen you pull all seats and just put 1 race seat you save like 50-100lbs.
You take a stock car.. pull 100lbs out of the interior
Ill take a stock car...pull 100lbs out of rotating weight

Equal drivers...i win by a lot and your car gets to be called gutted.

See my point?

The only difference... is i had to spend a lot of money to do it, you didnt have to spend any

In the end... its all about people being cheap.
Old 10-25-2012, 05:28 PM
Staging Lane

You take a stock car.. pull 100lbs out of the interior
Ill take a stock car...pull 100lbs out of rotating weight

Equal drivers...i win by a lot and your car gets to be called gutted.

See my point?

The only difference... is i had to spend a lot of money to do it, you didnt have to spend any

In the end... its all about people being cheap.
I take a stock car, pull 100lbs from interior and rotating weight. I now have 200lbs pulled.

I win.
Old 10-25-2012, 05:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

I take a stock car, pull 100lbs from interior and rotating weight. I now have 200lbs pulled.

I win.
Then i make fun of you for ruining a car....while i stop at the street corner and pick up three smokin hot babes and put them in the seats of my car.

I win
Old 10-25-2012, 05:33 PM
Staging Lane

Then i make fun of you for ruining a car....while i stop at the street corner and pick up three smokin hot babes and put them in the seats of my car.

I win
I grab my truck and pack about 15 in.

I win.
Old 10-25-2012, 05:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

o jeez
Old 10-25-2012, 05:35 PM
Teching In

lol.
If by potential you mean built/boosted cars, any car has potential.
LoL... not sure how you came to the assumption that I was referring to "built/boosted cars"..... of course any "built/boosted" car has potential...

I was more referring to the car in non FI/N02 form...
Old 10-25-2012, 05:37 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by ZYBORG
LoL... not sure how you came to the assumption that I was referring to "built/boosted cars"..... of course any "built/boosted" car has potential...

I was more referring to the car in non FI/N02 form...
You were trying to say a 5.0 had potential. So does a ls1/ls3, etc.

Mike was only trying to get across that there are a lot more shitty 5.0s (like 5th gens) than impressive ones.

On the other hand, you see, on average, 4th gens and cobras and c5s and c6s running good instead of bad.
Old 10-25-2012, 05:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

But that is exactly the problem. People on here use the strong F bodies as the benchmark and the unimpressive 5.0s as the benchmark. Sure there are a lot more unimpressive 5.0 then impressive ones... that can be said for the f body as well.

If one car can do it... they all can. Theres no special secret to going fast in a bolt on car. It just takes have a brain to do it.
Old 10-25-2012, 05:51 PM
Teching In

You were trying to say a 5.0 had potential. So does a ls1/ls3, etc.

sorry man, I was referring to the 5.0 vs LS1

please allow me to refrase.... The 5.0 motor ***** all over LS1 (unless you start ******* with H and C)

Mike was only trying to get across that there are a lot more shitty 5.0s (like 5th gens) than impressive ones.

sorry once again, there are a ton more slower LS1 cars than 5.0 cars.... stock they are faster, mod for mod they are faster....

On the other hand, you see, on average, 4th gens and cobras and c5s and c6s running good instead of bad.
I wasnt trying to bring in all the other cars in the world into this argument, I was just talking about LS1 vs 5.0...

I got a lot of love for the LS1 cars and hate a lot of 5.0 drivers but I give props when props are due... 5.0s are solid cars...

Old 10-25-2012, 05:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Evan just had a great idea.

Rather then talk about this 5.0 beating a "bad" h/c ls1 setup. Lets talk about it being very close to a H/C ls2 vette... a vette that actually proved itself to be very strong in the bolt on world.

Try as many ways as ls1tech wants, you cant take away that it runs good.

Quick Reply: H/c Ta vs bolt on 5.0 and C6