Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

me vs old 5.0

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2012, 02:30 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A guy that runs at my hometown track runs an explorer intake, P-heads and B cam. I don't remember the exact times off the top of my head ( I want to say high 12/low 13s) and at (IIRC) 110mph with a best of high 111mph.

Numida isn't exactly the fastest track around, but for less than 1k in parts, which isn't a nitrous kit, going from mid 14s to high 12s is pretty decent gain. Nice car and sounds great too.

On my last 5.0, I bought a set of P-heads and an explorer intake (same as GT40 inside). Never got around to putting it on and sold them with the car, but the entire setup cost me 265.00 and it came with a 65mm throttle body (bigger than stock).

Some might say "it sucks" but look how old the technology is and all this was done by just swapping parts, no/very little porting (cleanup the cast flashing).

Obviously I like a certain engine and chasis better, hence what I own now.
Old 12-25-2012, 02:36 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by It'llrun

Realistically, those parts should get the Mustang into the mid-13's, similar to the Honda Civic with a Prelude engine because, except for the more recent Si factory stuff, those cars are actually quite slow, even when compared against a factory stock 1990 5L Mustang. Take the same Mustang and drop a 351W with aluminum heads from something like the 1995 Cobra R and the race seems more realistic. Add several modifications as is typical of the ricer crowd with their swap and suddenly you have a mid 11 second car against a mid 13 car... Would that still sound like a fair comparison?

PS the video you showed makes my point. The entire **** box is gutted. Like most, an absolute under-achiever. If all that was also done to the Mustang, the Honda crowd would complain. Oh, and Merry Christmas!
I simply said what i see since on here hondas are dog ****, and dog **** NA hondas usually drag gt40pos setups its pretty self explanatory.

So Heads and cam and full bolt ons isn't enough for a bolt on swapped honda?

Regardless of the car being gutted AT MOST theres 60lbs out of the rear of that car, with a 150+ passanger it defeats the purpose. You really think 60lbs would've stoped the train he put on that fox with in 2 gears?

Guys new setup goes 11s at 114 with full interior bolt on k24. This was just an example.

Jesus christ you are upset.
Old 12-25-2012, 02:55 PM
10 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I know a guy with gt40 whatever heads, "big Cam", built his whole car up saying he'd drag it down the block, made 275 rwhp... Lol.
Old 12-25-2012, 03:26 PM
11 Second Club

My friend had a 85 T/A that had a cam only 305, I out ran pretty bad with my cam only 302 in my 84 GT, that he decided that he wanted to try against my girlfriends bone stock 89 LX 5.0. With her driving and me in the passenger seat telling her when to shift, she out ran him by more than a car length.
yea..I was just saying..with a driver n somebody that knew wat they were doing they werent as slow as most made them out to be..Im as big a fan of the old fox as anybody..and they responded much better to mods than the irocs
Old 12-25-2012, 05:51 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by adamantium
I simply said what i see since on here hondas are dog ****, and dog **** NA hondas usually drag gt40pos setups its pretty self explanatory.

So Heads and cam and full bolt ons isn't enough for a bolt on swapped honda?

Regardless of the car being gutted AT MOST theres 60lbs out of the rear of that car, with a 150+ passanger it defeats the purpose. You really think 60lbs would've stoped the train he put on that fox with in 2 gears?

Guys new setup goes 11s at 114 with full interior bolt on k24. This was just an example.

Jesus christ you are upset.
I'm not upset. Sorry... Moving on... While it can be fun, arguing with youngsters online about things they don't understand just isn't my cup of tea anymore. I don't care 1 bit about the "ricer movement."
Old 12-25-2012, 06:53 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by It'llrun
I'm not upset. Sorry... Moving on... While it can be fun, arguing with youngsters online about things they don't understand just isn't my cup of tea anymore. I don't care 1 bit about the "ricer movement."
Everything you posted was completely irrelevant to anything i shared on the subject. Youngster or not you need to learn how to read and comprehend sentences properly. Won't make you look like a dumbass next time your on a forum attempting to debate something.
Old 12-25-2012, 07:02 PM
***Repost Police***

Originally Posted by adamantium
Everything you posted was completely irrelevant to anything i shared on the subject. Youngster or not you need to learn how to read and comprehend sentences properly. Won't make you look like a dumbass next time your on a forum attempting to debate something.
I think part of his point was that your initial comment was completely irrelevant. You take whatever chance you can get to compare something to a "bolt-on/swapped Honda," and then post videos. Completely out of the blue.
Old 12-25-2012, 07:03 PM
10 Second Club

Received 152 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by Irunelevens
I think part of his point was that your initial comment was completely irrelevant. You take whatever chance you can get to compare something to a "bolt-on/swapped Honda," and then post videos. Completely out of the blue.

Old 12-25-2012, 07:12 PM
10 Second Club

Received 412 Likes on 330 Posts

Originally Posted by Heater
My friend had a 85 T/A that had a cam only 305, I out ran pretty bad with my cam only 302 in my 84 GT, that he decided that he wanted to try against my girlfriends bone stock 89 LX 5.0. With her driving and me in the passenger seat telling her when to shift, she out ran him by more than a car length.
My dad bought a new 85 IROC. We had a few good runs with some old foxes but none would out run it, really only 1 stayed even and it had mods with the IROC being stock. But back then the aftermarket was not what it is now for the 5.0 fox. My old 305 Monza(factory v8 car) gave them fits with just a 4bblcarb/intake. Dads IROC would smoke my Monza pretty good from a dig.
Originally Posted by speedshifterNC
yea..I was just saying..with a driver n somebody that knew wat they were doing they werent as slow as most made them out to be..Im as big a fan of the old fox as anybody..and they responded much better to mods than the irocs
Most of the IROC's were'nt even tpi cars. That gave them a bad rap.
Old 12-25-2012, 07:14 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Irunelevens
You guys arent grasping my point.

If hondas (By everyones standards on here) are slow, then what does that make a Gt40p cammed bolt on Foxbody?

Thats it, nothing more nothing less.

I always bring up hondas cause up until 5-6 months ago i owned one and was around them 24/7. All of my friends own hondas so thats what i usually see runs of, if it were mustangs id use mustangs, if it were evo's id use evo's, if it were subies id use subies to get my point across. Simple as that.
Old 12-25-2012, 07:15 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by HioSSilver
My dad bought a new 85 IROC. We had a few good runs with some old foxes but none would out run it, really only 1 stayed even and it had mods with the IROC being stock. But back then the aftermarket was not what it is now for the 5.0 fox. My old 305 Monza(factory v8 car) gave them fits with just a 4bblcarb/intake. Dads IROC would smoke my Monza pretty good from a dig.

Most of the IROC's were'nt even tpi cars. That gave them a bad rap.

and 3rd gens kept getting faster as the 80's went on, and the 5.0's got slower. 5.7 tpi's and 5.0 lx's were a good race. if GM did do one of their usual **** ups and built the 5.7 with a 5 speed it would have been no contest.
Old 12-25-2012, 07:21 PM
10 Second Club

Hey Adam.....honda's are poop
Old 12-25-2012, 07:29 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by big hammer
and 3rd gens kept getting faster as the 80's went on, and the 5.0's got slower. 5.7 tpi's and 5.0 lx's were a good race. if GM did do one of their usual **** ups and built the 5.7 with a 5 speed it would have been no contest.
It woulda been nice to have a 350 tpi m5 car. 85 TPI cars had the most powerful 305(215hp) up until 90 so dads car ran pretty dam good for the day. The 86-89 tpi 305's were kinda poopy, they were 20hp off the 85 cars. That's pretty big when there is'nt alot of power there anyway.
Old 12-25-2012, 07:32 PM
10 Second Club

It woulda been nice to have a 350 tpi m5 car. 85 TPI cars had the most powerful 305(215hp) up until 90 so dads car ran pretty dam good for the day. The 86-89 tpi 305's were kinda poopy, they were 20hp off the 85 cars. That's pretty big when there is'nt alot of power there anyway.

i think the later speed density 305's were up to 235 hp.
Old 12-25-2012, 07:35 PM
Banned

Hey Adam.....honda's are poop
Old 12-25-2012, 08:11 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by big hammer

You are 100% correct.

One of my good friends in high school, his dad owned a dealership and had one of his mechanics swap over a new 350 IROC or Z28 (can't remember which) to a 5 speed. That car would flat out get down. My good friend had that car and a loaded up white T/A in high school. He daily drove the T/A, but when somebody wanted to run, he would drive the 350 5 speed car to school.
Old 12-25-2012, 08:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Man... You guys must have some fucked off mustangs up there...

Hell damn near 20 years ago we were running 12.50s at the slowest with 5.0 Coupes using GT40 heads, "B" cam and a GT40 intake.. Every freakin stang in town could run atleast that or better way back then.. I had atleast 10 buddies with 5.0 Mustangs in the early to mid 90s running the GT40/B cam setup on 100k+ mileage mustangs and all were mid to low 12s..

We had a few stock bottom end 5.0s running 11s as well with TFS heads/ported GT40 intakes and X cams... And these were stick cars.. No doubt autos with big converters would have ran quicker.

Not sure what you all have going on up there but..... Don't knock the **** that's been working for 2 decades...lol
Old 12-25-2012, 08:17 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by ajrothm

Hell damn near 20 years ago we were running 12.50s at the slowest with 5.0 Coupes using GT40 heads, "B" cam and a GT40 intake.. Every freakin stang in town could run atleast that or better way back then.. I had atleast 10 buddies with 5.0 Mustangs in the early to mid 90s running the GT40/B cam setup on 100k+ mileage mustangs and all were mid to low 12s..

We had a few stock bottom end 5.0s running 11s as well with TFS heads/ported GT40 intakes and X cams... And these were stick cars.. No doubt autos with big converters would have ran quicker.

Not sure what you all have going on up there but..... Don't knock the **** that's been working for 2 decades...lol
Who? Me?
Old 12-25-2012, 08:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Heater
You should crush him since the old Third Gens with the 305's used to mop them up
LOL... You're kidding right?

305 F body's ran mid 15s at best.. Hell the 350 L98 Irocs and Trans Am GTAs BARELY dipped into the 14s... And that was on a good night.

My dad bought an 85' L98 Vette new and we ran that thing in 90' and it went 15.0@92 mph..

TPI cars were dogs, all of them.. Hell they needed blowers on them to run in the high 12s most of the time../
Old 12-25-2012, 08:22 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by ajrothm

you talkin aboot hondas?

Quick Reply: me vs old 5.0