Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

3v vs. SC'd 5th gen, Nitrous LS2 GTO, Procharged Firehawk

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2013, 08:41 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HioSSilver
Correction factor for a n/a car is equal to about 1 tenth per 1000 in da. It's alot less than that for a boosted car......about 1/2. They don't call blowers altitude compensators for nothing.

If your blown 3v is out running blown 5th gens.....then there is something not right with the 5th gen. I mean hell....the 5th gen starts out a solid .7 faster when they leave the showroom.
I lose over 100rwhp with both my 575rwhp mustang and 600rwhp CTS-V from sea level to here during any time other than winter.

Theres nothing wrong with the blown 5th gen, the nitrous GTO wasn't spinning, and the blown Firehawk runs strong too. The new 5.0 also 'starts out' at probably a full second faster than a 3v...and you saw how many bus lengths I put on it. I'll have to find the timeslip, but I believe it was over 2 full seconds, maybe even 2.5. I'm far from a pro, but I do know there is a lot more to racing than car and driver stats and what people claim on forums.

This is the problem with all the bench racers on forums...it leads a bunch of people to believe a bunch of nonsense. If people got off the forums and actually started racing, they might find out that their car sitting in the garage ends up losing to a car or two...even a slow 3v mustang.
Old 01-05-2013, 08:44 PM
10 Second Club

Received 426 Likes on 337 Posts

Originally Posted by sweet99ss
Yes, but it is pushing 1-2lb more boost? This could easily make up for those times
Not at all with both being boosted. The gap should get bigger. The 6.2 is a bigger and has much better flowing heads. 1lb of boost will make more power on it than 1lb on the 3v.
Old 01-05-2013, 08:50 PM
Teching In

Not at all with both being boosted. The gap should get bigger. The 6.2 is a bigger and has much better flowing heads. 1lb of boost will make more power on it than 1lb on the 3v.
Not in my experience, at least not at a mile high.

I went through 2 blowers and a lot of pulley combos to get the Mustang exactly where I wanted it and found that 1PSI yielded me about 15-17rwhp on it. I'm finding about the same with my V, give or take 1-2rwhp per PSI. Of course, there are a lot of factors at play and a every car/setup is going to be different.

I'm not sure comparing amount of boost between the 2 cars is really even relevant, but since its being brought up, I was running probably close to 3PSI more than he was at that time.

Last edited by ExpatMedic; 01-05-2013 at 09:12 PM.
Old 01-05-2013, 10:07 PM
10 Second Club

Here ya go....figure it for yourself.

http://www.dragtimes.com/da-density-...ect+ET+and+MPH

Not that da tells the whole story but with a boosted car you are exaggerating the losses a bit.
Old 01-05-2013, 10:16 PM
Teching In

Not that da tells the whole story but with a boosted car you are exaggerating the losses a bit.
So, I should use calculators and benching vs. real world dynos?

I can post my actual uncorrected vs. SAE dynos, if you prefer.
Old 01-05-2013, 10:21 PM
10 Second Club

You can post whatever you want. But no one here is gonna believe you lost 2-2.5 seconds goin from sea level to 7500' with a altitude compensator on your car. Now you may have had something else wrong and lost that time, but altitude did'nt do it for ya.
Old 01-05-2013, 10:21 PM
Teching In

You can post whatever you want. But no one here is gonna believe you lost 2-2.5 seconds goin from sea level to 7500' with a altitude compensator on your car. Now you may have had something else wrong and lost that time, but altitude did'nt do it for ya.
No one said anything about losing 2-2.5 seconds going from sea level to 7500'.

I think you need to re-read the thread.
Old 01-05-2013, 10:40 PM
Teching In

I don't generally use ET calculators, as they never seem to reflect my times, but I chose an average day in July at my track: Here are corrections for an NA car and a random ET/MPH I plugged in:

11.9@116mph at ABQ Dragway at 6pm is corrected to:

10.655 @ 128.988 MPH (NA car)
Thats over a full second - 1.245 seconds, to be exact.

The only supercharged option is 'extensively modified', which none of my cars are. This ought to give you an idea of how much we lose up here. Regardless, I can still show you my dynos of losing over 100rwhp in both the Mustang and V. I'm sure you can find a calculator that lets you figure out how much 100rwhp is worth, if thats your thing.
Old 01-06-2013, 08:31 AM
10 Second Club

The n/a calculator is not gonna work for you....lol No wonder you've never had much luck with calculators.

I have'nt either to be honest. But a boosted car is not gonna lose as much as a n/a car.
Old 01-06-2013, 09:57 AM
Staging Lane

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Hio, I could see it if he isn't changing pulleys when he runs at sea level. Remember it will make less boost/power at altitude unless he pullied it down to get the boost back, now a turbo car is a different story.
Old 01-06-2013, 11:37 AM
Teching In

The n/a calculator is not gonna work for you....lol No wonder you've never had much luck with calculators.

I have'nt either to be honest. But a boosted car is not gonna lose as much as a n/a car.
I didn't say the NA calculator would work for me, I said it should give you an idea of how bad the air is up here.

Again, re-read the thread. I'm not trying to be a dick, I just don't think you're actually reading what I'm typing.

Last edited by ExpatMedic; 01-06-2013 at 11:50 AM.
Old 01-06-2013, 11:49 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by V8EATR
Hio, I could see it if he isn't changing pulleys when he runs at sea level. Remember it will make less boost/power at altitude unless he pullied it down to get the boost back, now a turbo car is a different story.
Exactly.

Unless the turbo is already out of steam before making the trek up to altitude, the system will attempt to maintain the same PSI/MAP pressures as it did at sea level. If whatever turbo car makes 10PSI at sea level and is able to overcome the loss of ambient pressure and still maintain 10PSI at altitude, it will fair much better than a supercharged car making the same trek...but it'l still run slower, due to 'less air'.

Now, a supercharged car wont 'make up' the difference, unless you swap pulleys. That 10PSI you see on your gauge at sea level will suddenly start reading 7PSI up here (often less). Not only will you need to repulley for loss of ambient pressures, youll actually have to pulley even more to overcome the 'less air', assuming you're shooting for the same actual/uncorrected HP numbers you were at sea level. I'm having to spin my TVS to *14* PSI (actually, spinning it to the same speeds that would achieve 17PSI at sea level) to achieve uncorrected numbers that many 3v guys are doing with 10PSI- and *still* not quite trapping what sea level guys are doing with the same power. DA is everything.

Now, I'll admit a blower car will still lose less than an NA car, but it loses a lot more than many of you sea level folks seem to think, especially when DA's start to creep to nearly 9000ft during the summer. If an NA car loses 1.2-1.3 seconds in our air, it's not unfair to think an SC'd car will lose at least .8, maybe more. I can prove via dynos that I lose 100rwhp during cool weather and more than 100rwhp during our high DA/CF days.

Shortblock weaknesses aside, have some fun and look up how how fast (or slow, for that matter) and how much power a 17PSI 3v at sea level should do - Thats basically what my car is - a ~17PSI 3v that drove up the mountain.

Last edited by ExpatMedic; 01-06-2013 at 12:26 PM.
Old 01-06-2013, 02:24 PM
10 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

WTF seems a thread with good vidz has been ruined agian..
Old 01-06-2013, 02:40 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by sweet99ss
WTF seems a thread with good vidz has been ruined agian..
Figured I was the only one who noticed, lol.

I guess too many peoples egos are tied entirely to their cars - which is pretty sad. There's always an excuse. I do notice it tends to be the forums with 'younger' crowds, like many of the mustang/camaro forums. Closely tied to maturity, or lack there of, if I were to guess.

When I lose, it's cause I'm slower - it happens plenty. Just an incentive to turn it up, right? No excuses, just a smile and thumbs up.
Old 01-06-2013, 04:33 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by ExpatMedic
Figured I was the only one who noticed, lol.

I guess too many peoples egos are tied entirely to their cars - which is pretty sad. There's always an excuse. I do notice it tends to be the forums with 'younger' crowds, like many of the mustang/camaro forums. Closely tied to maturity, or lack there of, if I were to guess.

When I lose, it's cause I'm slower - it happens plenty. Just an incentive to turn it up, right? No excuses, just a smile and thumbs up.
Exactly... Now some people on here like to post there Mach 1 "kills" that are just completely unbelievable. I got so sick of hearing of stock Mach 1 cars "beating" stock ls1 cars. Now I don't know what the argument is in your videos.. As far as im concerned when cars are this heavily modified either car can pull because there are so many more variables... Your car is clearly set up better
Old 01-06-2013, 04:52 PM
On The Tree

Great vids! nice kills. That whine of your 3v is making something funny happen in my pants.
Old 01-06-2013, 06:51 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by jarheadtex
Great vids! nice kills. That whine of your 3v is making something funny happen in my pants.
lol you're not the only one, but it's all kinds of boost that does it for me... Turbo's spooling, Roots blowers whining, and centrifugal s/c whistling all make me

Quick Reply: 3v vs. SC'd 5th gen, Nitrous LS2 GTO, Procharged Firehawk