Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Race Gone wong!! Turbo NSX vs Nitrous GT-500

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2013, 07:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Honestly... if playing with nitrous... Stand alone is the only safe way to go. It only takes one lean spike to get a back fire
Old 01-04-2013, 08:01 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by evangto87
the issue with the gt500s was and still is... weight balance. For example. My car is 46/54 front from the factory. The 2013 gt500 is the same car now adding 300lbs to the nose. And thats with an aluminium block. Now add the weight of an iron block to it....

Last week at my buddies speed shop, there was a 770whp gt500 on the lift (built motor, tvs2300, pump gas). Basically to make the car hook, he wanted to raise the back a half inch... and add 200lbs of lead plates in the trunk. Then he could properly set the suspension. Bottom line is there is just no weight over the already too narrow tires.

Yes!!! Lets make another thread about how awesome you and your boss are!!
Old 01-04-2013, 08:07 PM
Staging Lane

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

^loool
Old 01-04-2013, 08:10 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by clonedws6
Old 01-04-2013, 08:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 2SSARME
^loool
Questioning man hood huh? Just look at ur sig and it says it all. I wouldn't run a dry shot on ur car.. But do what u want.
Old 01-04-2013, 08:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Dude you are such a ******* clown... **** off! I was explaining why they are notorious for spinning tire... what that has to do with me or my Boss i have no idea. I referanced my car to show that it was already nose heavy and how the GT500s pack there extra 300lbs right over the front tires. Just another mindless troll on ls1tech.
Old 01-04-2013, 08:29 PM
Staging Lane

Dude you are such a ******* clown... **** off! I was explaining why they are notorious for spinning tire... what that has to do with me or my Boss i have no idea. I referanced my car to show that it was already nose heavy and how the GT500s pack there extra 300lbs right over the front tires. Just another mindless troll on ls1tech.
dont get worked up brah
Old 01-04-2013, 08:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Camper
dont get worked up brah
No hes just a troll. I talk to OTHER people on here and he has to chime in every time. Hes deserving of a swift kit to the nuts. Nothing more... nothing less
Old 01-04-2013, 08:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 58 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by automach1
Yea about as pissed as you would be if you lined up with it
Pfft, heard THAT from the last S/C`d ford I raced That ended about 6 cars over hilarious! That was 80rwhp, 100+rwtq, and 100 lbs ago.

Carry on, better get that fixed before your parents see it!
Old 01-04-2013, 09:16 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Bahahaha!!

Check sig
Old 01-04-2013, 11:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by punishmentcycle
Ok so advice from u nitrous guys.. I'm gonna be running a 100 shot thru my Maggied forged ls6. Standalone with race gas and a NOS 90mm plate system with a NOS window switch. What would be the max rpm to WOT with out backfire. Just so it's in te back of my mind when ****** around
I had to have:
1)Bottle open-either I twisted it, or you go remote.
2)Arming switch,...to energize the system...and everything is a go.
3)WOT switch wherever and however your get the signal, mine was at WOT @ pedal and firewall
4)Fuel pressure safety switch(i didn't have)-smart though-you drop fuel pressure , usually rail, it disarms nitrous.
5)"window switch" turn turn nitrous on @ a pre desired user chosen RPM...like, 2800rpm...for example, ...so if all above are in line, @ wot, and 2800rpm,..your nitrous would engage.
5a)"window switch" cont-you need an rpm to SHUT OFF..so,..if you redline @6800...then maybe 6700, or 6600rpm would be a good time to get comfortable to have it shut off, incase you over rev on a shift.

I only mention all above, cause some of us, just haven't tried nitrous, or are unfamiliar with it, how it works, and how to use it safely. There are a few more variables that matter but, the above, is the basics. Just like there is elaborate boost controllers, there is elaborate nitrous controllers. Time based, you could make a nitrous car hard to beat if you had your **** together. Problem is, nitrous, the way I wanna use it,...is brutal on parts.

To equal what I made from adding 11psi of boost, I picked up 333rwhp. Useable. Nitrous,.useable only @ wot, on a 330 wheel shot, would be decently violent. Like, ****, that hurts, violent.

Anyways, I think until you have your comfort/shift zone figured out, i'd end your nitrous blast 200 rpm sooner then rpm redline,...to prevent any kinda of bouncing off rev limiter. If your shifting is sluggish(we all gotta start somewhere)...shut if off 500rpm sooner. Theres no shame in saving your motor. In most cases, most cars stop pulling in the upper rpms anyways unless you got a fluid setup.

Sorry for the rant-I am by no means a nitrous guru,..just experienced it on my own, and several setups,and types.

Originally Posted by Camper
as a nitrous newb, can someone educate me nitrous backfire?

Typically happens with WET systems, a nitrous system that sprays FUEL and NITROUS....as opposed to a DRY system, spraying on NITROUS.

Also, usually on systems that have nozzles BEFORE THE THROTTLE body are potentially more prone to having an issue ....but it is caused by FUEL PUDDLING IN THE INTAKE MANIFOLD, so direct port or single fogger, Usually, fuel puddling will occur in the back of a manifold,.... that **** ignites.... boom. Several things could cause this to happen. Bad designed system, stuck solenoid, driver error-etc...

My issue was my fault, I went WOT at to high of an RPM speed....once I went WOT,..the spray came on INSTANTLY,..the car blew the tires off...RPM's SHOT through the moon......I lifted but had already bounced off the rev limiter once,....suddenly,...flames shout out of every seam of my hood(it was at night)....if you blinked, you missed everything,..I didn't blink, my hood bowed open like a balloon, then closed again...the car had a massive vacuum leak since I blew the manifold in pieces. Fortunately, the fire was out as I came to a stop.

I cleared the multiple codes with my DiabloSport Predator,...started the car,..idles @ 3000rpm..lol...and I was able to drive it back home. So, don't hit the spray when your to high up in your rpm,...just pick your race better or slow down...etc.

Nitrous can be safe,..and really easy to use, just gotta be smart when your installing, pay attention to your wiring, it is absolutely crucial if you really love your car. You don't want to catch the car on fire for doing a halfass job.

Anywho,...not a nitrous guru...just my experience. Currently we run a few cars on nitrous, a direct port 500+ capable car one or two more, maybe.

It's fun,...just brutal on parts, and wot dependent(safely).
Old 01-05-2013, 12:26 AM
Teching In

http://www.jdmtube.com/ipodvideo/625.mp4
Old 01-05-2013, 12:34 AM
TECH Regular

Before...

On the dyno...

And mine was right after xmas as well. Tuner went to start it up and apparently a noid stuck open and then boom.
Old 01-05-2013, 06:58 AM
11 Second Club

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

^ i have 2 noids in line for that reason.

Odds of both sticking is much lower.
And all i have is a 110 shot.

Safety first with the spray.
Old 01-05-2013, 07:00 AM
11 Second Club

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Last edited by hugger1975; 01-05-2013 at 07:08 AM.
Old 01-05-2013, 07:34 AM
9 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

<-knows nothing of nitrous but learned more about it in one post. Ill stick to boost since I know that much better.
Old 01-05-2013, 07:54 AM
Teching In

From what I've seen and read, nitrous backfires come from the air velocity being to low and can't carry the nitrous through the manifold. It puddles and ignites. B-Series sounds right on the money. I'm almost finished with my setup, and have a SafeCraft fire suppression system, just in case.

Old 01-05-2013, 09:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BottleMach
From what I've seen and read, nitrous backfires come from the air velocity being to low and can't carry the nitrous through the manifold. It puddles and ignites. B-Series sounds right on the money. I'm almost finished with my setup, and have a SafeCraft fire suppression system, just in case.

Very nice setup.

Also its the fuel that can puddle up in the intake, not the nitrous. That can cause a back fire. Its the most COMMON way, but not the only way. Guy i used to know had the worst luck with faulty NOS solenoids. Multiple fuel noids failed and kept leaking fuel into the intake... cant tell you how many times he turned his car on and blew his intake tube off.
Old 01-05-2013, 09:57 AM
Teching In

Very nice setup.

Also its the fuel that can puddle up in the intake, not the nitrous. That can cause a back fire. Its the most COMMON way, but not the only way. Guy i used to know had the worst luck with faulty NOS solenoids. Multiple fuel noids failed and kept leaking fuel into the intake... cant tell you how many times he turned his car on and blew his intake tube off.
Thanks, do the solenoids stick open, wouldn't you see it in the a/f
Old 01-05-2013, 10:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BottleMach
Thanks, do the solenoids stick open, wouldn't you see it in the a/f
The older NOS fuel noids have issues with leaking due to constant pressure behind them. This was a solid 5-6 years ago. It wasnt a large enough leak to effect a/fs. It would only be pressure bleeding off and puddling into the intake through the noid. This only happened during start up.

Quick Reply: Race Gone wong!! Turbo NSX vs Nitrous GT-500