Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Stock LT1 Corvette: Murderer [VIDEO]

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2013, 10:52 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ajrothm
Have you ran the LT1 at the track yet?

We had a 95' LT1 convertible/auto car we were messing with about 5 years ago... It responded very well to mods.... Completely stock, right down to the paper filter ran a 13.60@101.
13.6@101 in a 2.73 geared auto Vert? That's unheard of. What was the DA?

A magnaflow axle back/K&N filter had it at a 13.51@103. Put a PI 3200 converter in it and Nittos and it ran a 12.90@106 mph. My buddy's wife drove it like that for a couple years, then they did long tube headers, no cats, 3" mid pipes and an LT4 intake, they also had a custom chip burned for it(I believe).. then it ran 12.50s@110.. Not bad for a convertible with 2.7x gears and bolt ons only...
No "chip" in '95 and 110 traps with those mods and no weight removed, stock gears, stock rockers/pulley/water pump doesn't sound right. Also, how did you get the LT4 intake to fit the stock heads? The runners don't line up and will actually hurt more than help.
Old 01-21-2013, 01:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Redfire 03
13.6@101 in a 2.73 geared auto Vert? That's unheard of. What was the DA?

No "chip" in '95 and 110 traps with those mods and no weight removed, stock gears, stock rockers/pulley/water pump doesn't sound right. Also, how did you get the LT4 intake to fit the stock heads? The runners don't line up and will actually hurt more than help.
DA was probably -400' on the 13.51 trip... I actually drove the car that night. Not sure on the other trips as my buddy often took the car on his own. I did see the slips though. They were all usually winter/early spring in Houston so DA was always pretty good. We did ice the intake down had the fuel at 1/4 tank. That night my buddy went a 13.60, then I drove it and went a .59 then a .51... all were at 103 mph. Letting the car shift itsself and launching from about 1500 rpms... Nothing to it..

Here was the car around the time we took it to the track, i think this was the weekend before, right after we put the axle back kit on..

All stock, other then the axle back and K&N filter. 49k miles

The converter/LTs/mid pipes/intake/TB/MTI tune all came in the next year or so after..

Yeah I wasnt sure if it was still a chip on those models or if they were flashing ECUs on those. I believe it was something from MTI though.. As for the LT4 intake, I am not sure, I believe he just bolted it on, wouldnt suprise me if he didnt notice the runner issue...LOL... I know it was a red intake with a billet TB though.

My buddy passed away back in 2011, I bought his silver Z06 from his wife and I helped her sell off his other cars...The 95' was actually his wife's. We had a great friendship and played with cars for 20 years together..
Old 01-21-2013, 01:35 PM
Launching!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v245/ZXALAN/95C4.jpg[/IMG]
That's a nice looking vette. Looks VERY well maintained!

My buddy passed away back in 2011, I bought his silver Z06 from his wife and I helped her sell off his other cars...The 95' was actually his wife's. We had a great friendship and played with cars for 20 years together..
Sorry to hear that man. Sounds like he had a blast tho and kept great friends around.
Old 01-21-2013, 02:35 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good luck with tuning that EPROM ECM. I see a '94 OBD-I PCM in your future.
Hmmm I might have to get one of those. I'm just going to concentrate on getting the headers setup perfect before I really consider a cam. It can wait until next winter.

Have you ran the LT1 at the track yet?

We had a 95' LT1 convertible/auto car we were messing with about 5 years ago... It responded very well to mods.... Completely stock, right down to the paper filter ran a 13.60@101. A magnaflow axle back/K&N filter had it at a 13.51@103. Put a PI 3200 converter in it and Nittos and it ran a 12.90@106 mph. My buddy's wife drove it like that for a couple years, then they did long tube headers, no cats, 3" mid pipes and an LT4 intake, they also had a custom chip burned for it(I believe).. then it ran 12.50s@110.. Not bad for a convertible with 2.7x gears and bolt ons only...

They eventually sold the car but it was a neat ride and a hell of a sleeper for sure.
Wow those are some impressive times.... I've never been to the track yet, but I'm going up to NE Dragway this spring. I'm not expecting much on street tires though.

Originally Posted by camaro98z28
Anyone else thinks this Vette should be left alone. There is something to be said about being stock and kept up. Nice Kills
I've always thought about leaving it alone haha, I'm definitely doing headers but I'm still on the fence with a lot of other things.... it is always funny to beat newer cars with an old stock Corvette
Old 01-21-2013, 03:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 92Vette
Hmmm I might have to get one of those. I'm just going to concentrate on getting the headers setup perfect before I really consider a cam. It can wait until next winter.

Wow those are some impressive times.... I've never been to the track yet, but I'm going up to NE Dragway this spring. I'm not expecting much on street tires though.

I've always thought about leaving it alone haha, I'm definitely doing headers but I'm still on the fence with a lot of other things.... it is always funny to beat newer cars with an old stock Corvette
Yes it is!

I have another buddy with a 91' ZR1, its all stock other then a Corsa cat back... That car runs suprisingly strong... We tried to run it at the strip once on the original tires (car only has 19k miles) and it spun most of the way thru 1st so the ET sucked...it was like a 13.80@110. We only made 3 passes because it just wasnt safe to run it on those tires it spun so bad...

After he got some fresh Good Years on it, we have played around with quite a few cars on the street and it really held its own.. Hell I raced him in my cam only 99 Trans Am from a 20 mph roll and only beat him by about 2-3 car lengths (My car ran 12.60s@113 on DRs)....Those Zr1s from a 50 mph roll are pretty strong...right in their power band. Its cool beating C5s/C6s with it from a roll....they all think it has stuff dont to it but it doesnt...

I actually am kind of jonesing for a 90' ZR1 myself...
Old 01-21-2013, 03:46 PM
On The Tree

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Hell yeah! Even though you'll smoke me I'm down!
I wouldn't be so sure! I sent out my alcohol pump to be rebuilt. Not sure when it will be back. I will only be running like 18lbs of boost until that comes back in. This might be the factor that evens us out .
Old 01-21-2013, 03:49 PM
TECH Addict

Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

Do at least exhaust and gears Your Corvette is a strong runner!! Nice car!
Old 01-21-2013, 05:30 PM
11 Second Club

Good luck with tuning that EPROM ECM. I see a '94 OBD-I PCM in your future.
burning a chip isn't that bad, I had 3 different chips I carried around with me in my turbo T.
Old 01-21-2013, 07:41 PM
Teching In

Yes it is!

I have another buddy with a 91' ZR1, its all stock other then a Corsa cat back... That car runs suprisingly strong... We tried to run it at the strip once on the original tires (car only has 19k miles) and it spun most of the way thru 1st so the ET sucked...it was like a 13.80@110. We only made 3 passes because it just wasnt safe to run it on those tires it spun so bad...

After he got some fresh Good Years on it, we have played around with quite a few cars on the street and it really held its own.. Hell I raced him in my cam only 99 Trans Am from a 20 mph roll and only beat him by about 2-3 car lengths (My car ran 12.60s@113 on DRs)....Those Zr1s from a 50 mph roll are pretty strong...right in their power band. Its cool beating C5s/C6s with it from a roll....they all think it has stuff dont to it but it doesnt...

I actually am kind of jonesing for a 90' ZR1 myself...
Don't even get me started with ZR-1's.... you have no idea how badly I want one!! I've been all over the ZR-1 forum trying to gather info about the car, what an impressive machine they are. I hope to get one when out of college, good luck finding one yourself, they're rare!

Originally Posted by ZNix
I wouldn't be so sure! I sent out my alcohol pump to be rebuilt. Not sure when it will be back. I will only be running like 18lbs of boost until that comes back in. This might be the factor that evens us out .
Hmmmm now this is getting interesting..... if there is some nice weather on a weekend we might have to line something up. I'll at least see you on the Vermont cruise in the spring.

Originally Posted by Johnnystock
Do at least exhaust and gears Your Corvette is a strong runner!! Nice car!
Thanks! It's not too bad for 115k miles Just ordered Exotic Muscle longtubes too!

Originally Posted by work in progress
burning a chip isn't that bad, I had 3 different chips I carried around with me in my turbo T.
Is it easy to just swap chips? I might end up doing the same thing haha
Old 01-22-2013, 10:38 AM
Teching In

Bump for more views!
Old 01-22-2013, 11:21 AM
Launching!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Must be the Opti.Good job.
Old 01-22-2013, 11:55 AM
Teching In

Good runs. What was the roll speed vs the M3? Do you know what gear he started in?
Old 01-22-2013, 12:28 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Tracked350Z
Good runs. What was the roll speed vs the M3? Do you know what gear he started in?
The roll was from around 50 I think, I started in second and really got the jump on him. Maybe that's a bad roll speed for M3's? Idk. He said he wasn't ready, even though I waited for him to go first before I punched it

I'm really surprised he didn't beat me with the 33 extra horsepower, plus I had a passenger and a full tank. We'll probably race again pretty soon.
Old 01-22-2013, 02:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks! It's not too bad for 115k miles Just ordered Exotic Muscle longtubes too!
Atta guy!

You'd love the gains on an LT1 in both sound and feel with some longtubes, off road midpipes, and catback.
Old 01-22-2013, 03:01 PM
Teching In

The roll was from around 50 I think, I started in second and really got the jump on him. Maybe that's a bad roll speed for M3's? Idk. He said he wasn't ready, even though I waited for him to go first before I punched it

I'm really surprised he didn't beat me with the 33 extra horsepower, plus I had a passenger and a full tank. We'll probably race again pretty soon.
50 is a perfect spot for the M3. Just past peak torque and the hp is climbing very quickly. He will be starting around 66-6700 rpm. Make sure he starts in 2nd. He should get the jump on you and he should pull. I wonder how many miles are on his M3.
Old 01-22-2013, 04:46 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by marc97taws6
Atta guy!

You'd love the gains on an LT1 in both sound and feel with some longtubes, off road midpipes, and catback.
I think headers are good for a first mod, especially because I might get a cam sometime. Hopefully I'll get 10-15 rwhp too!

Originally Posted by Tracked350Z
50 is a perfect spot for the M3. Just past peak torque and the hp is climbing very quickly. He will be starting around 66-6700 rpm. Make sure he starts in 2nd. He should get the jump on you and he should pull. I wonder how many miles are on his M3.
No idea on how many miles, but now that you mention it, I think he said he started in the wrong gear... I'll be sure that he starts in second next time. Trust me, I was baffled that I won too!
Old 01-22-2013, 06:53 PM
TECH Resident

Nice on the headers. You have a way of passing inspection without cats? Maybe a method of tuning the cats off, or are you planning on running with high flow cats on?
Old 01-22-2013, 07:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

I think headers are good for a first mod, especially because I might get a cam sometime. Hopefully I'll get 10-15 rwhp too!
Hopefully you can rock a CAI and maybe some goodies like that too. I'm not really familiar with intake options on C4s
Old 01-22-2013, 07:31 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by odthetruth
Nice on the headers. You have a way of passing inspection without cats? Maybe a method of tuning the cats off, or are you planning on running with high flow cats on?
I don't have to pass emissions in Mass, my car is too old

Originally Posted by marc97taws6
Hopefully you can rock a CAI and maybe some goodies like that too. I'm not really familiar with intake options on C4s
There's really nothing you can do intake wise besides cut the lid (which I'm doing as soon as I get the chance). The air filter is HUGE on this car, the stock intake flows pretty well. I've been on the fence for a while about what I want to do next:

1. GM hotcam w/ 1.6 roller rockers and a bunch of new OEM parts
2. 1.7 roller rockers, with dual springs, guideplates, and hardened pushrods
3. Nothing.
4. Maybe try some weight reduction

But I need money first
Old 01-22-2013, 07:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

I don't have to pass emissions in Mass, my car is too old

There's really nothing you can do intake wise besides cut the lid (which I'm doing as soon as I get the chance). The air filter is HUGE on this car, the stock intake flows pretty well. I've been on the fence for a while about what I want to do next:

1. GM hotcam w/ 1.6 roller rockers and a bunch of new OEM parts
2. 1.7 roller rockers, with dual springs, guideplates, and hardened pushrods
3. Nothing.
4. Maybe try some weight reduction

But I need money first
1 or 5

Nice! I'd definitely do it when you have the exhaust setup and do the LT4 Hotcam and all of that fun jazz or LE 224/230 cam or AI's 220/230 cam (comparable to LT4 hotcam with potentially more power)

Quick Reply: Stock LT1 Corvette: Murderer [VIDEO]