Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

should i race him?

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2013 | 02:05 AM
8 Second Club

might be a little while...kidney stone and a pinched nerve are keeping me from doing just about anything right now.
my buddy did get a new gopro a cpl days ago though...going to rig up a mount this weekend
hopefully film a few runs off the bottle and on a 150 shot next saturday
guy seemed pretty confident even after i told him i would be spraying. Its either farther from stock than he says,or he really has no idea...lol
Old 04-13-2013 | 02:29 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by mkvamso
might be a little while...kidney stone and a pinched nerve are keeping me from doing just about anything right now.
my buddy did get a new gopro a cpl days ago though...going to rig up a mount this weekend
hopefully film a few runs off the bottle and on a 150 shot next saturday
guy seemed pretty confident even after i told him i would be spraying. Its either farther from stock than he says,or he really has no idea...lol
Just race him on the bottle, he has a power adder so you need one to make it "fair"
Old 04-13-2013 | 02:38 AM
Banned

You should walk him on motor. Its crazy how much power it takes to get those cars to MPH, lol it takes almost 600whp to get them to trap mid 120s.
Old 04-14-2013 | 12:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

The question: Should you run him?

Yes. And I favor your car in the matchup.
Old 04-14-2013 | 12:09 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by adamantium
You should walk him on motor. Its crazy how much power it takes to get those cars to MPH, lol it takes almost 600whp to get them to trap mid 120s.
It wont happen on motor.
Old 04-14-2013 | 01:43 AM
TECH Resident

Some douche in the parking lot today was puffing up his chest about his new to him 2010 gt500. Its pretty much stock, has a catback amd a canned tune. Ive got a 2000 ss with a full boltons, a decent sized pat g cam, and a 150 shot. Car is full weight minus ac, swaybar, and the back seats are out.
I was pretty sure id drag him pretty bad but ive never ran one before. My car made 400/380 off the bottle, hoping its around 550/600 on spray but it hasnt been dynoed or taken to the track with the current setup.
What do you think?
Make sure you can drive and launch from a dig at the track, and then go race him.
He'll most likely spend a majority of his time spinning and not putting the power down.

Originally Posted by kainedogg
Why are these musntangs not a threat with 600+hp?! They can't hook or just not making the advertised power?
The hooking issue with the older GT500s seems to be the issue. I believe the newer 2013 ones are revamped and hook better. Older just spun and spun.
Old 04-14-2013 | 01:52 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Poppacapp
It wont happen on motor.
So a stock gt500 is a 119+ MPH car?
Old 04-14-2013 | 03:21 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by odthetruth
Make sure you can drive and launch from a dig at the track, and then go race him.
He'll most likely spend a majority of his time spinning and not putting the power down.

The hooking issue with the older GT500s seems to be the issue. I believe the newer 2013 ones are revamped and hook better. Older just spun and spun.

honestly, stupidest **** ive ever heard.

do some research
Old 04-14-2013 | 09:32 AM
11 Second Club

Older spun and spun without driver mod. The cars are hard to launch from a dig.. but doesn't mean it can't be done. It just has to be driven right. Quick slip on clutch, not dump. Unless you have slicks.. then dump the biotch.

I will say this.. if he is on the factory Goodyear(Crapyear) f1 Supercar tires.. he will do nothing but spin. I went sideways at 90mph going into 4th gear on those things, and put the 555r's on a couple weeks later. 2nd and 3rd gear are useless on stock tires. Maybe better during hot times, but in colder temps, forget it.
Old 04-14-2013 | 09:41 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by adamantium
So a stock gt500 is a 119+ MPH car?
1, he may not be stock... we don't know.
2, if he IS stock, maybe maybe not.

I don't have stock mph on my car, as I tried with street tires and it was useless, and only 1/8th mile so far, but with pulley/tune(which only added 61rwhp btw) I have gone 99mph in the 1/8th. You tell me what an additional 61rwhp over stock will trap in the 1/4. I am guessing 123-125mph range. I think stock, I would have probably been in the high teens mph... but like I said.. don't know.

So in summary:

WARNING!!!! BENCHRACE MODE <ON>

Estimating my car should run mid 120's with just pulley/tune now
Based on that, I think the car should have gone high teens stock, based on 61rwhp gain from the pulley/tune. I can post up dyno graphs if needed.

BENCHRACE MODE <OFF>

EDIT: here is a GT500 with similar mods to myself, but he actually made less rwhp and torque than I am.

http://www.dragtimes.com/Ford-Mustan...lip-16224.html

98mph 1/8th, and 127mph 1/4

Last edited by Poppacapp; 04-14-2013 at 10:03 AM.
Old 04-14-2013 | 09:56 AM
11 Second Club

OP, best thing to do is when you race him, check his rear tires.. if he still has the Goodyear Supercar F1's on, then run him from a dig. If you hook decently, you will get a good jump on him. If you run from a roll, and he knows how to feather the throttle, it may be different. Either way, if he is stock, you will beat him on spray.
Old 04-14-2013 | 10:58 AM
TECH Resident

Yes, race him then come back with a kill story. All this benchracing is ...(insert adjective here)
Old 04-14-2013 | 12:34 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by DSS
just run him,

safe racer is not the way to go
Agreed.

Originally Posted by Poppacapp
Older spun and spun without driver mod. The cars are hard to launch from a dig.. but doesn't mean it can't be done. It just has to be driven right. Quick slip on clutch, not dump. Unless you have slicks.. then dump the biotch.

I will say this.. if he is on the factory Goodyear(Crapyear) f1 Supercar tires.. he will do nothing but spin. I went sideways at 90mph going into 4th gear on those things, and put the 555r's on a couple weeks later. 2nd and 3rd gear are useless on stock tires. Maybe better during hot times, but in colder temps, forget it.
Thats what I'm thinking, since OP stated its basically stock.

Some douche in the parking lot today was puffing up his chest about his new to him 2010 gt500. Its pretty much stock, has a catback amd a canned tune. Ive got a 2000 ss with a full boltons, a decent sized pat g cam, and a 150 shot. Car is full weight minus ac, swaybar, and the back seats are out.
I was pretty sure id drag him pretty bad but ive never ran one before. My car made 400/380 off the bottle, hoping its around 550/600 on spray but it hasnt been dynoed or taken to the track with the current setup.
What do you think?

Originally Posted by Camper
honestly, stupidest **** ive ever heard.

do some research
Stock GT500s from 07 gen ran damn near 13s. 12.8ish for all that power BECAUSE they couldn't put the power down. They revised gearing and added launch control along with the extra power in the 13. Stock 2010 ones ran mid to low 12s. 500+hp?

How would it be stupid for OP to get some runs in with his current set up so he gets familiar with it before a race? Makes the most sense to me so he doesn't end up spinning and looking like a dick off the line and giving this GT500 all it needs to win.

I was answering a question in that comment too. Every review I've seen of the GT500s have said the same ****. Can't put the power down. And even then, if I'm not mistaken... stock GT500s from 10, 11... trap what? 116?

[edited to keep it to the point]

Quick Reply: should i race him?