Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Bolt on Z28 vs 02? Procharged 2v

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2013, 01:07 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Bolt on Z28 vs 02? Procharged 2v

Was debating whether to even post the story since I'm lacking good video but what the hell...

Anyway, went out looking for some action and met up with a group that was trying to set up some races. One of the cars was this clean red 02, or something, mustang gt that the guy had just bought. From what I could gather it was a manual, stock internals, with a procharger (not sure what unit it was, label was faded out and Im not familiar with prochargers, D-1 maybe?) 8 psi, exhaust, and what looked to be some DR's on the back. He had 2 passengers, I was alone.

We rolled out to cruise for a little bit and just before we turned to head back I asked him if he wanted to get a quick run in and we pulled off and ended up doing 2 rolls and a dig.

First roll was from about 30. I honked it off and on the hit we both spun and he jumped out about a car length, after he jumped out I was able to slow his pull down but he carried it out to about another 1/2 car before we let out somewhere around 100.

The competitor inside me got pissed, so I asked him for another 30 roll but shifted my auto down to 1st just to see what happened. Let me tell you, it made all the difference!! Honked it off again holding steady around 3,500 revs and hit it. No auto delay ftw cause it was pretty much exactly like our first race but I was out in front this time! Jumped out by a car, he stopped pull but I held it until we hit traffic.

Third race he wanted a dig, which I was all for! At the light I started honking but screwed up cause accidentally didnt honk a third time (Apparently I cant honk and race at the same time) and ended up stealing the hit. We both spun, I was using first again so i could control spin a little easier, I jumped out again by about a car and extended it to about 2 cars before we both let out.
This is the only vid I have:

Wish I had better video but this is all I could get form a guy recording behind us. Had a lot of fun, dude with the mustang was cool. Looking forward to racing him at the track around the end of the month.
Old 04-15-2013, 01:15 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Lol and automach said a cammed 2v would give my car a run for its money. LOL
Old 04-15-2013, 01:29 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by adamantium
A few 2v cars with cams have been mid-high 11s on a dr... so if you want to get technical, a "cammed 2v" has the potential to walk you. Jusss sayin
Old 04-15-2013, 01:40 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Black01Bird
A few 2v cars with cams have been mid-high 11s on a dr... so if you want to get technical, a "cammed 2v" has the potential to walk you. Jusss sayin
People have gone 11s on DR with not even full bolt on f-bodys. What does that have to do with anything? Oh i forgot your part of the mustang defender squad. Keep at it bro, maybe one day we might listen to you.
Old 04-15-2013, 01:58 AM
Banned

Lol, do you have anything to back this up? Fastest cam only 2V GT I've ever heard of ran low 12's @ like 111mph. That was with a bunch of weight reduction too. A full weight bolt-on LS1 would walk that easily from a roll. Hell, I bet even a stock, strong running LS1 F-body would get that a run for it's money from a roll.

And since when do SOHC motors have CAMS? Do you know what the ''S'' in SOHC stands for?
Old 04-15-2013, 02:04 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by adamantium
From what I have gathered, this automach1 kid's engine is running, but there is nobody behind the wheel.
Old 04-15-2013, 02:10 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Razor01Z28
From what I have gathered, this automach1 kid's engine is running, but there is nobody behind the wheel.
lmfaooooo
Old 04-15-2013, 02:25 AM
Staging Lane

Lol, do you have anything to back this up? Fastest cam only 2V GT I've ever heard of ran low 12's @ like 111mph. That was with a bunch of weight reduction too. A full weight bolt-on LS1 would walk that easily from a roll. Hell, I bet even a stock, strong running LS1 F-body would get that a run for it's money from a roll.

And since when do SOHC motors have CAMS? Do you know what the ''S'' in SOHC stands for?
Apparently what was said was that a cammed 2v, would take his formula, so as i stated, CERTAIN cammed 2v cars would walk him on a track even running bottom 12s, i dont see his ported tb, exhaust, ls1 car running bottom 12s on the track.

And as far as the CAM "S" comment, do you have any ******* idea what you're talking about? We are not talking about pushrod motors here, the 2vs have 1 cam per head, and if im not mistaken... 2v mod motors have 2 heads correct? So how many CAMS do they have smartass?
Old 04-15-2013, 02:35 AM
Staging Lane

Hmmmmm how many CAMS does this engine seem to have?... must be photoshopped right? lmao

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Old 04-15-2013, 02:38 AM
Banned

Apparently what was said was that a cammed 2v, would take his formula, so as i stated, CERTAIN cammed 2v cars would walk him on a track even running bottom 12s, i dont see his ported tb, exhaust, ls1 car running bottom 12s on the track.

And as far as the CAM "S" comment, do you have any ******* idea what you're talking about? We are not talking about pushrod motors here, the 2vs have 1 cam per head, and if im not mistaken... 2v mod motors have 2 heads correct? So how many CAMS do they have smartass?
Okay that was a brain fart on the second part, I admit lol. It's late!

But why couldn't a bolt-on LS1 run low 12's or faster with a good tire? Especially with weight reduction. STOCK F-bodys can run mid 12's with nothing but DR's and a driver mod. You think Mustangs are the only cars that have the ability to hook?
Old 04-15-2013, 02:41 AM
Staging Lane

But why couldn't a bolt-on LS1 run low 12's or faster with a good tire? Especially with weight reduction. STOCK F-bodys can run mid 12's with nothing but DR's and a driver mod. You think Mustangs are the only cars that have the ability to hook?
Im not defending the mustang at all, i think 2vs are garbage, i just like giving adaman **** about it just like he dishes it out to everyone else. And honestly most bone stock ls1 cars with tires ive seen run, do not run mid 12s, but i guess DA could effect things quite a bit.
Old 04-15-2013, 02:46 AM
Teching In

Only a select handful out of the thousands of Fbodies out there have gone mid 12's on just a DR. Keep it real here. Majority, low to mid 13's.
Old 04-15-2013, 02:48 AM
Banned

Im not defending the mustang at all, i think 2vs are garbage, i just like giving adaman **** about it just like he dishes it out to everyone else. And honestly most bone stock ls1 cars with tires ive seen run, do not run mid 12s, but i guess DA could effect things quite a bit.
Just like ''most'' cam/bolt on 2V's don't run low 12's. But it can be done. The 2V just needs some bolt OFFS also.

I have personally seen a full bolt-on cammed 2V get raped by a 100% stock Camaro SS M6. Both with decent drivers.
Old 04-15-2013, 02:52 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Tracked350Z
Only a select handful out of the thousands of Fbodies out there have gone mid 12's on just a DR. Keep it real here. Majority, low to mid 13's.
Where did I say that they ALL run those times? Just like not ALL cam only 2V GT's run anywhere near low 12's. Very few do.

I would feel like **** if i were running mid 13's with DR's on my LS1 F-body though.
Old 04-15-2013, 08:14 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Considering I traded an 04 Mustang gt with full bolt ons, cams, and nitrous I can tell you what they really are capable of from personal experience. There was no weight reduction done to my stang, and it would take my buddy's 2000 Camaro SS with just a catback and and K & N filter just barely...and I mean BARELY lol!! On the sauce it was pretty strong, but n/a i'm soooo glad I made the switch to the LS1
Old 04-15-2013, 08:40 AM

Good races, OP! Years back I traded wins against my friend's Vortech 1999 Saleen in my bolt-on Z28. Made for some great races.

As for the other argument, is it possible for a cammed 2V to beat a bolt-on LS1? Yes. Is it likely? No. The best I was able to get out of my bolt-on Z28 was 12.5 @ 111 at one track and 12.5 @ 114 at another track before I changed the setup. If I had raced a low 12 second/high 11 second cammed 2V then I would have lost. It never happened, but the possibility did exist.
Old 04-15-2013, 08:51 AM
10 Second Club

Received 426 Likes on 337 Posts

2v's are poop
Old 04-15-2013, 09:04 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ScreaminRedZ
Good races, OP! Years back I traded wins against my friend's Vortech 1999 Saleen in my bolt-on Z28. Made for some great races.

As for the other argument, is it possible for a cammed 2V to beat a bolt-on LS1? Yes. Is it likely? No. The best I was able to get out of my bolt-on Z28 was 12.5 @ 111 at one track and 12.5 @ 114 at another track before I changed the setup. If I had raced a low 12 second/high 11 second cammed 2V then I would have lost. It never happened, but the possibility did exist.
From a dig maybe but from a roll you would have walked it.
Old 04-15-2013, 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by Theblacknightls1
From a dig maybe but from a roll you would have walked it.
Without a doubt, but when quarter mile ET's are being brought up I figure people are comparing them that way.

Last edited by ScreaminRedZ; 04-15-2013 at 12:17 PM.
Old 04-15-2013, 11:30 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by HioSSilver
2v's are poop

Great for taxi's and light duty trucks

Quick Reply: Bolt on Z28 vs 02? Procharged 2v