Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

zl1 vs cammed 5th gen wreck

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2013, 10:44 PM
On The Tree

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Sticks n Stones
classic case of someone not knowing how to properly counter steer is what it is, nothing to do with radial verse bias ply in this case. I would love to talk **** right here about how most females suck at driving fast cars because they didn't work there way up there from slower cars and there boyfriends/husbands/dads just put them into the seats of cars too fast for there all around skill level but sadly most guys nowadays don't know them skills either.

Even for the guys who know how to counter-steer on the street with average or harder tires it doesn't directly apply: the days of counter-steering being something you can think about then do are gone when most cars now come with tires sticky enough to embarrass drag radials of just a dozen years ago. Hell, drag radials embarrass slicks from 10 years ago. **** happens fast when you are piloting a sticky tired car like that ZL1. Your reactions have to be instinctive and instantaneous, counter-steering just as or even BEFORE your car fully reaches the apex of its swing. She was counter-steering after the car had already started its backward swing which is woefully late. sticky tires dont fully "return" on a slide but instead somewhere from the apex itself to half way back they snap to full traction which sends the car wherever it's front is pointed. Trust me, it's effin' quick when it happens and always a surprise, and the shock of those tires locking down when every instinct tells you they should still be sliding is unnerving.

And another thing: your counter-steering has to be vicious once you feel even a hint that the tires are gonna grab: I'm a big **** but last time I had to correct a counter-steer like what she had I pulled a forearm muscle doing it along with nearly breaking my steering wheel (the spoke bent but popped back from my grip).
LOL......I rarely post, but damn.....this dude is a douchebag in every post, and knows it ALL.
I think being in the grass is what got her. I run one of my cars with radials on the front, and bias plys on the rear. You just have to sway with it. Glad she's ok. The resale on that car is shot though.
Old 06-30-2013, 10:58 PM
TECH Regular

Received 218 Likes on 136 Posts

Not as bad as what i thought it would look like though.

Quick Reply: zl1 vs cammed 5th gen wreck