Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

GTR vs 5.0 vs Gt500

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2013, 09:39 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Poppacapp
I bet it moves on out. Friend just bought a 2013 1LE.. he is thinking about supercharging but doesnt want to kill the warranty yet.
warranties are overrated..no point in supercharging it unless he goes all out with some reduction to go with it.

he'll just be another SRK 5th gen victim.. takes $ to make these cars go fast.
Old 07-09-2013, 11:08 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Camper
warranties are overrated..no point in supercharging it unless he goes all out with some reduction to go with it.

I agree. What rwhp would be the safe limit for his stock bottom end? Have heard different numbers.
How much weight were you able to cut out of yours? I am trying to look at some different things on my car to try to cut weight. But I refuse to gut the interior. I am at 3800lbs now, and figure with my set of Racestars, maybe another 100lbs off that. Daily drive it, so I will keep as much creature comfort that I can.
Old 07-10-2013, 08:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree. What rwhp would be the safe limit for his stock bottom end? Have heard different numbers.
How much weight were you able to cut out of yours? I am trying to look at some different things on my car to try to cut weight. But I refuse to gut the interior. I am at 3800lbs now, and figure with my set of Racestars, maybe another 100lbs off that. Daily drive it, so I will keep as much creature comfort that I can.
id start with a tubular subframe and a-arms.. thats a pretty good chunk right there... then start looking at rotating mass... drive shaft,clutch and flywheel...itll all add up.
Old 07-10-2013, 09:25 AM
Staging Lane

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

This. ******* took me like 25k in parts to make my 5th gen into what it is. Most people go cheap on suspension / diff and the car just runs like ****.

Although I have seen some guys running spray with cams doing nasty hurting.
Old 07-10-2013, 09:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

Being you have a GT500... only take weight off the nose. Do not lighten that car by taking anything out of the back. You are just dooming yourself with lack of traction.
Old 07-10-2013, 09:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

2.5 upper, JLT 123mm, FRPP 65mm,Dynatech LT's/no cats, afco dual H/E,DSS driveshaft, Lighter wheels, DR's, E85.

2013 FRPP TVS laying in the garage waiting for the 5.8 to be ground off and painted
That was fast lol. Ever get the trans ordeal figured out?
Old 07-10-2013, 01:29 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by evangto87
Being you have a GT500... only take weight off the nose. Do not lighten that car by taking anything out of the back. You are just dooming yourself with lack of traction.
this^^^ very true they are way too nose heavy! wider tires in the rear and better suspension and the gt500 is a completely different car. Instead of spinning it'll hook right up and go. I hate Ford but they did the 13 GT500 right for the most part and they did the 5.0 right as well.
Old 07-10-2013, 04:13 PM
10 Second Club

Received 426 Likes on 337 Posts

This is why I don't take my rear seats/belts out and actually put my jack/spare back it. The problem with the fords are the engine is so much heavier. Especially with all the blower stuff. No way to get rid of that except swap a ls in it.
Old 07-10-2013, 07:01 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by HioSSilver
This is why I don't take my rear seats/belts out and actually put my jack/spare back it. The problem with the fords are the engine is so much heavier. Especially with all the blower stuff. No way to get rid of that except swap a ls in it.
Nobody smart wants a to swap in an anchor
Old 07-10-2013, 07:14 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by automach1
Nobody smart wants a to swap in an anchor
Nobody smart buys a 2007 GT100 and expects to go fast in it.
Old 07-10-2013, 07:21 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Razor01Z28
Nobody smart buys a 2007 GT100 and expects to go fast in it.
I want a camero.
Old 07-10-2013, 08:14 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by punishmentcycle
id start with a tubular subframe and a-arms.. thats a pretty good chunk right there... then start looking at rotating mass... drive shaft,clutch and flywheel...itll all add up.
I have considered tubular front, but that takes the "daily driveability" out of it.. lots of nvh etc.. ill probably have to go one way or the other..and just drive the beater.. but everyday i go to get in it to come to work..i end up driving the Shelby.. i just love driving it..especially now with the TVS.

Gotcha.. at least I have the aluminum block in the 12'.

Originally Posted by HioSSilver
I actually carry a 40lb bag of water softener salt in the trunk.

Quick Reply: GTR vs 5.0 vs Gt500