Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Bought a NEW 5.0 F150!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2014, 07:06 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by It'llrun
Good? Well, for a dirtyass brand new pickup, I guess...

Of course its dirty haha, its a work truck! You think id buy one of these things to go fast?!? Im smarter than that! Puttin the tool box in it this week. I just fogured, hell im drivin a new 5.0 F150, we might as well show how fast these are with no bs. Im going to just put some forged pistons in the s15 and spray it this year and go a little faster than last year....
Old 02-05-2014, 09:48 AM
TECH Addict

Did you really want that engine instead of the 3.5L, or was it more about the chassis and you chose what was already sitting there rather than waiting? Some people still don't like turbos, but I do. Still, I'm kinda kicking myself for passing on a brand new CC 4X4 XLT for 32k... and that was their own markdown on the w/s.

Another question; Why didn't you get a Silverado? No more 2013's in stock, therefore, comparison pricing put you in the Ford? Or... did you do what most people do and just get the Ford because of its reputation for being the best work truck available? Or maybe you just think it looks better?

HEY... Don't everybody try to commit homicide on me.... I just asked a couple serious questions!
Old 02-05-2014, 10:04 AM
On The Tree

Did you really want that engine instead of the 3.5L, or was it more about the chassis and you chose what was already sitting there rather than waiting? Some people still don't like turbos, but I do. Still, I'm kinda kicking myself for passing on a brand new CC 4X4 XLT for 32k... and that was their own markdown on the w/s.

Another question; Why didn't you get a Silverado? No more 2013's in stock, therefore, comparison pricing put you in the Ford? Or... did you do what most people do and just get the Ford because of its reputation for being the best work truck available? Or maybe you just think it looks better?

HEY... Don't everybody try to commit homicide on me.... I just asked a couple serious questions!

Valid questions IMO.
Old 02-05-2014, 10:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

When I test drove a 2012 5.0 CC Lariat and then a 2012 5.3 LTZ Silverado CC, I honestly thought the 5.0 had a lot more ***** than the 5.3
Old 02-05-2014, 10:31 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by marc97taws6
When I test drove a 2012 5.0 CC Lariat and then a 2012 5.3 LTZ Silverado CC, I honestly thought the 5.0 had a lot more ***** than the 5.3
It did, but GM upgraded the engine in Silverado to eek out more than the 5L (almost a direct match in peak hp/tq for either) and I'm sure it feels a bit more powerful now, considering how friggin' heavy the Ford is. Of course, I think that was for 2014 models, not 2013's.
Old 02-05-2014, 11:27 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Incentives to buy I guess. My old boss had the tt v6 and got horrible mileage. He took it to the dealership and they said some just get less mpg's than others. I will use it to pull farm equipment when that starts. My boss now has always had fords and picked this one up for me a few days ago. I didnt buy it, he bought it for me, if it were my choice I would have gotten the chevy. Good to have rich friends/bosses.

I just figured im drivin one now might as well post up some vids. Im going to do a leveling kit and get rid of the stock tires. Just for the mid this thing is going to have to deal with.

I will admit, it is a nice truck for 30k.
Old 02-05-2014, 12:18 PM
TECH Addict

For 30k? WOW! Yup, if it's a 4X4, with that engine, you know he got it for just about rock bottom pricing.

I agree that some Ecoboost vehicles are getting poor mileage. That said, it seems to increase as mileage increases(to a limit, of course). I have just over 5k on my Escape and the MPG started almost horrifically low, but has picked up more than 4mpg as of late. I've been tracking it rather closely since it started off so badly and just past 4k miles, it began to rise quickly. Still need it to rise about what it has already, to reach advertised numbers.
Old 02-05-2014, 12:46 PM
10 Second Club

Received 170 Likes on 120 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

ecoboosts suck. 5.bro's are better.
Old 02-05-2014, 12:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

It did, but GM upgraded the engine in Silverado to eek out more than the 5L (almost a direct match in peak hp/tq for either) and I'm sure it feels a bit more powerful now, considering how friggin' heavy the Ford is. Of course, I think that was for 2014 models, not 2013's.
I'm still hesitant on that new technology for a few more years (talking the new 5.3 and 6.2s)

Thankfully when my 11 yr old truck just rolled over 77k miles last night, I have some time
Old 02-05-2014, 01:05 PM
TECH Addict

I wouldn't be concerned about the new GM "tech" updated engines... Everything they've added has been in use by several companies, including GM I'm sure, for about a decade already. DI, I'm sure isn't new as it's been used for what I think can be described as decades in diesels. VVT has been used by Ford for yrs now and by Honda since the early 1990's in the form of V-tech engines. Cylinder shutdown has been used by Dodge for... at least 5yrs now and probably closer to 10. GM, I think, used it in Cadillacs even earlier. All that said, I wouldn't be the least bit concerned about any of that stuff, but I would recommend an extended warranty on the engine and electronics for nearly any new vehicle.

In your case, the mileage isn't suggesting you'll want to trade anytime soon, but you may find a great deal ...
Old 02-05-2014, 01:11 PM
ASSuming On The Tree

Omg, what a kill
Old 02-05-2014, 01:16 PM
7 Second Club

Received 316 Likes on 245 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by audacious nick
Omg, what a kill
Sonnofabitch!

I agree with Nick, for once. lol
Old 02-05-2014, 01:21 PM
10 Second Club

LS1Tech 10 Year

I wouldn't be concerned about the new GM "tech" updated engines... Everything they've added has been in use by several companies, including GM I'm sure, for about a decade already. DI, I'm sure isn't new as it's been used for what I think can be described as decades in diesels. VVT has been used by Ford for yrs now and by Honda since the early 1990's in the form of V-tech engines. Cylinder shutdown has been used by Dodge for... at least 5yrs now and probably closer to 10. GM, I think, used it in Cadillacs even earlier. All that said, I wouldn't be the least bit concerned about any of that stuff, but I would recommend an extended warranty on the engine and electronics for nearly any new vehicle.

In your case, the mileage isn't suggesting you'll want to trade anytime soon, but you may find a great deal ...

gm has been using VVT in the trucks for a while now. and had DI in the acadias for a while.

they did have an issue with the intake valves caking up with oil because there was no fuel going through to wash it off, but I believe an updated PCV system corrected it.
Old 02-05-2014, 06:22 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by big hammer
gm has been using VVT in the trucks for a while now.
Yeah, my brain and fingers weren't working together on that one. I was thinking of AFM, which wasn't used on everything and just flubbed it altogether. I wanna say VVT started in 2010(on trucks) and now that and DI and AFM are on all the V8's. Idonno if it's also on the 4.3L V6, but it would appear to be. Pretty sure that was part of their ad.

they did have an issue with the intake valves caking up with oil because there was no fuel going through to wash it off, but I believe an updated PCV system corrected it.
Definitely no big deal at this point. Besides, they can't move forward without taking the steps needed.
Old 02-05-2014, 07:29 PM
10 Second Club

LS1Tech 10 Year

Yeah, my brain and fingers weren't working together on that one. I was thinking of AFM, which wasn't used on everything and just flubbed it altogether. I wanna say VVT started in 2010(on trucks) and now that and DI and AFM are on all the V8's. Idonno if it's also on the 4.3L V6, but it would appear to be. Pretty sure that was part of their ad.

Definitely no big deal at this point. Besides, they can't move forward without taking the steps needed.

I think VVT and AFM both started in 08 or 09.
Old 02-06-2014, 11:41 AM
10 Second Club

too much power cant belive its street legal

Quick Reply: Bought a NEW 5.0 F150!!!!!