Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by apathy
Except they aren't sports cars.
Pony cars then?
Old 05-22-2004, 03:02 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by unit213
It's funny that this guy thinks 12's are fast. Must be a young kid who has never been in a truly fast car.
Not to rag on you specifically, but this gets old. Arguing that a 14 second honda civic isn't fast because it's running in 14 seconds. Or that you wouldn't consider a 12 second car fast.

I mean, drag racers are running what, 4 and 5 second quarter miles? You want to take the 9 second LPE Vette to them and have them say "That's not fast. n00b." It's pretty arrogant, and shows no respect.

Also, don't forget that someone who does say a 14 second quarter mile in my car bone stock could very well be a far better driver than anyone on this board. Again, it's all about the respect.

Granted, after riding around in something with 300-500hp, anything else does seem slow, but fast is all about perspective. We all drive metal with an engine and 4 wheels. And I'm not defending this guy specifically, I agree that a 1.9 60' in a WRX is horrid.

Just tossing that out.
Old 05-22-2004, 03:02 PM
TECH Regular

Pony cars then?
Yeppers.
Old 05-22-2004, 03:28 PM
Administrator

Not to rag on you specifically, but this gets old. Arguing that a 14 second honda civic isn't fast because it's running in 14 seconds. Or that you wouldn't consider a 12 second car fast.

I mean, drag racers are running what, 4 and 5 second quarter miles? You want to take the 9 second LPE Vette to them and have them say "That's not fast. n00b." It's pretty arrogant, and shows no respect.

Also, don't forget that someone who does say a 14 second quarter mile in my car bone stock could very well be a far better driver than anyone on this board. Again, it's all about the respect.

Granted, after riding around in something with 300-500hp, anything else does seem slow, but fast is all about perspective. We all drive metal with an engine and 4 wheels. And I'm not defending this guy specifically, I agree that a 1.9 60' in a WRX is horrid.

Just tossing that out.
Understood and I agree with you 100%. But, I would never consider a 13 or a 14 second car fast. There are too many cars out there that are capable of that. I consider a car to be fast around 10.0 and under.
Old 05-22-2004, 04:22 PM
STF Veteran

bone stock from the factory, what can you buy today (not counting ultra pricey exotic) that'll run faster than a 13.00 in the hands of an average-to-good driver?

new cobra, c5 z06 & c6 vette, viper, benz x55 cars (sl55, slk55, e55, etc), 911 turbos, and... ? the showroom stock 12.xx club is pretty limited. 10 years ago (hell, maybe even 5 years ago) you could have said the same thing about the 13.xx club. judgeing solely by potential relative to other cars on the road, i'd consider something runs 12s (whether straight from the dealer, or after a shitload of modding... either way) pretty decent. 11 second cars are, in my mind, quite respectable. i would not be suprised to hear a 10 second car loseing to an 11 second car on the street due to traction problems and driver error. you drive an 11 second car, you've got a chance against just about anything you'd run up against i would think. as for 10 second cars that can actually get enough traction to not blow the wheels lose every time the pedal is pushed, well now that's fast.

that being said, your experience does color your opinion. i thought my 14 second mustang was quick, although not a god of the streets or anything. now i feel the same way about my 13 second trans am, and think of the mustang as pretty damn slow. i'm sure i'll feel the same way about a 12 second c6 (god and wallet willing) vs the TA.
Old 05-22-2004, 05:22 PM
TECH Regular

Understood and I agree with you 100%. But, I would never consider a 13 or a 14 second car fast. There are too many cars out there that are capable of that. I consider a car to be fast around 10.0 and under.
Oh, totally. And I agree with you too, in that I wouldn't consider a 14 second car fast. But that's about opinion. And also about perspective. Ask an F14 pilot if he thinks riding in the 10 second car is fast.

If all cars ran 20 second quarter miles, the 14 second car would be blazing fast.

Again, wasn't talking about you specifically, just pointing out something I see sometimes around here. You appear to be very reasonable and intelligent. Seems like (and I could be wrong, haven't been around very long) that some people here don't care about driving skill too much. They want to run a faster time, so they up the HP in the car. Lucky they are driving a big V8 (read: responsive to mods). If they had a small FWD 4 cylinder, they'd probably need to focus a lot more on that driving, because they are only looking at maybe 20-30ish hp from bolt ons. Not even at the wheels. Of course, none of that really matters, because it's your car and you can do what you want with it. Drop a 422 in it and run 11s if ya want.

The guys that run in the 14s in my car bone stock have to be hella-good drivers. So I find it kind of ironic that a person on here who can't drive their car worth jack down the line would talk smack about that guy, solely based on the times.

Damned wrong wheel drive cars. Hope to have that corrected next weekend...99 Z28 here I come.

Sorry for hijacking the thread! I'm outie on this one.

Last edited by apathy; 05-22-2004 at 05:29 PM.
Old 05-22-2004, 05:57 PM
Administrator

Good post apathy.

A 10.0 second car is faster than an F14 in the 1/4 mile though. Once in the air, all frame of reference is lost so speed, rather velocity, is something different. Still, point taken.
Old 05-22-2004, 06:08 PM
TECH Regular

A 10.0 second car is faster than an F14 in the 1/4 mile though. Once in the air, all frame of reference is lost so speed, rather velocity, is something different. Still, point taken.
I'll be honest, I have no idea how fast any given aircraft accelerates.

How about an unlaiden swallow?
Old 05-22-2004, 08:23 PM
TECH Apprentice

they don't accelerate that well STRAIGHT line, but lateral and vertical acceleration you WILL feel in an F14 somewhere around that of a top fuel car, EXCEPT for about 10 seconds at a time every 3 or 4 seconds starting a new maneuver, whereas a top fuel car will put you back at about 3 or 4gs for 1 second or so then it'll come down.
Old 05-22-2004, 10:07 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good post apathy.

Catapault launches are like 0-140 in two seconds or something like that. That's a hell of a lot faster than a ten second car, and every F-14 pilot has experienced it. So yes, a ten second car would probably feel slow to an F-14 pilot.
Old 05-22-2004, 10:19 PM
Teching In

Alright to help smother any flames, first off, i love f-bodies(namely LS1), and would buy one in a second if i found a great condition 6-speed that wasn't driven by some punk kid who beat on it. My car isn't exactly stock, i have one mod, a downpipe. Here is the slip at rock Falls raceway from April 4th, not saying this is fast, because i know any stock, 4th gen f-body would pound it, but for a car that is almost stock, i haven't seen a lower time with the same or less mods, go on any suby sight and quote this, and you're sure to get a reaction.
R/T - .194
60' - 1.942
330' - 5.701
1/8 - 8.900
mph - 76.88
1000 - 11.644
1/4 - 13.994
MPH - 95.19

BTW, to the poster that stated that a stock WRX can cut 1.7xx 60' is a little mixed up, that is totally posiible on an STi, but mine is not unfortunately.

Bryan
Old 05-22-2004, 10:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

No flames will be smothered until you can come up with a logical, mature reason to why "our cars can't hold a candle to yours" when it comes to handling? How's our weight distribution doing? Well, seeing as how it's closer to 50/50 than your car, I'd say pretty damn good. I'm still amazed at the BS you posted last night. Just like what every other car guy wants to ask the ricers we come in contact with: What the hell goes on in your mind that you believe such ****? Apparently you were pretty damn sure on all that crap, when in fact it was all BS. Honestly, why do you "import" people allow yourselves to be brainwashed on such stupid theories? Yeah as you can tell I'm a little peeved off because I'm so tired of dealing with this same stupid **** with 99.9% of you "import" people. I'm not gonna flame you man, but I would really, really like to know why you all believe in such nonsense.
Old 05-22-2004, 11:05 PM
Teching In

well if you want some facts, here are some from Road and Track on the 2002 SS.

Lateral accel (200-ft skidpad) 0.87g
Balance mild understeer
Speed thru 700-ft slalom 60.0 mph
vs.
STi
lateral accel (200-ft skidpad) .91g
700ft slalom 70.7 mph

so how can you argue with these facts, and there is now doubt you can make it handle like its on rails, but stock vs. stock in the standarized testing of handling characteristics of automobles by credible publications.
Old 05-22-2004, 11:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

WRX man, not the WRX STi. Big difference. You said "your" car.
Old 05-22-2004, 11:27 PM
Teching In

If you're going to substitute WRX STi for WRX, you might as well substitute ZO6 for an F-body. Then go ahead with your comparison, WRX dude.
Old 05-22-2004, 11:38 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by wrxpeed

BTW, to the poster that stated that a stock WRX can cut 1.7xx 60' is a little mixed up, that is totally posiible on an STi, but mine is not unfortunately.

Bryan
I pulled a 1.8 60' with a basically stock wrx, so why isn't a 1.7 possible, I didn't even make 10 passes in it the whole time I had it.
Old 05-23-2004, 12:17 AM
TECH Senior Member

listen Fuckstick,

we are talking about your car, not a STi

if you want to do something like that here we go....

Z06 over .99+ on the Skid pad, and the CTS-V ls6 powered Caddywith .88g's

Yes a huge heavy 4 door caddy pulling over .87, BESTING that STi

Of course i am exagerating with huge and heavy, but it does out weigh, but still out perform the WRX.

apples and oranges but still in the end SS > WRX (not STi, but YOUR WRX)

please shut up, put the dick back in your mouth and return to sucking it as much as you suck at life. thanks Good Bye

Gray
Old 05-23-2004, 12:41 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by TransAm52804
Honestly, why do you "import" people allow yourselves to be brainwashed on such stupid theories? Yeah as you can tell I'm a little peeved off because I'm so tired of dealing with this same stupid **** with 99.9% of you "import" people.
As I've posted before, if you were a member of the "import" boards with the "import" people you are talking about, you'd realize they say the exact same things about you guys.

Because when the import guy builds a car that goes faster, you'll pull up next to it at a light and say whatever line you like to give the ricers before he blows your doors off. Because you have the big v8! Which is superior to the tiny 4 cylinder of all these ricers!!! Then you say "just wait till my 12 bolt arrives," or "i'm strapping on my 150 shot next week, then we'll see how he does!"

John Shepherd is running in the 8s in the quarter mile on the stock block in an AWD DSM. The top 97 people on DSM tuners are in the 12s. What are you running?

Saying that all importers are ricers, or all importers are brainwashed makes about as much sense as me saying that all camaro owners are white trash rednecks.

You want to talk about the guy being stupid, that's fine. He's an idiot. It has zero to do with him being an import or a domestic guy. You are all the same, as much as you hate to hear it.
Old 05-23-2004, 12:56 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As I've posted before, if you were a member of the "import" boards with the "import" people you are talking about, you'd realize they say the exact same things about you guys.

Because when the import guy builds a car that goes faster, you'll pull up next to it at a light and say whatever line you like to give the ricers before he blows your doors off. Because you have the big v8! Which is superior to the tiny 4 cylinder of all these ricers!!! Then you say "just wait till my 12 bolt arrives," or "i'm strapping on my 150 shot next week, then we'll see how he does!"

John Shepherd is running in the 8s in the quarter mile on the stock block in an AWD DSM. The top 97 people on DSM tuners are in the 12s. What are you running?

Saying that all importers are ricers, or all importers are brainwashed makes about as much sense as me saying that all camaro owners are white trash rednecks.

You want to talk about the guy being stupid, that's fine. He's an idiot. It has zero to do with him being an import or a domestic guy. You are all the same, as much as you hate to hear it.
Honestly, you seem like a pretty intelligent guy. I can't really speak for anybody else except myself, but Shep is pretty popular around my area (E-town) and his car is the reason that you'll find me giving a lot of respect to DSM tuners.

I personally have never given a rice excuse like "Wait til my 12-bolt comes in"... if I lose, I complement whoever beat my on their car. Of course, there are domestic guys who will give those type of excuses, there are probably a lot of them.
Old 05-23-2004, 02:25 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Exactly enisguy. Apathy, that's pretty arrogant for you to speak FOR me about the "lines I like to give" to imports next to me. If one beats me, then I think that's awesome. I have tons of respect for any car faster than mine. I sure as hell don't throw excuses out my window the guy that beat me, like you suggest I do. That's really dumb man. C'mon, you're smarter than that.