Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Single turbo Supra vs blown Vette - Mexico Racing League

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2014, 09:59 PM
***Repost Police***

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by audacious nick
Duh, because boost. Build a ls3 for 23lbs of boost, how much power is it going to be making? How much power is a 2jz going to be making on 10lbs of boost, like the corvette?
You can argue displacement and boost numbers, but it is irrelevant. Each setup is different and cool in its own way. And that doesn't make it junk.
It is like the idiots that hate on Hondas and fords because of the brand, even if it is faster than their bolt-on fourth gen.

So let us all be ******* and bash on everything that isn't to our liking. Hurrah
Brah.
The thing is, they've been doing that since the early 90s. The number of other cars sold in America that could hold the amount of power they could on the stock longblock was basically zero back then. So yes, you can argue displacement and boost numbers...but you can't argue the amount of power that engine can make/hold with no internal changes. I don't care if it takes 100lbs of boost to do it. Tip for the day (Doug); the C6 in this video can't take the same amount of boost that the Supra can without opening up the motor. If you can't at the very least respect that, then you are nothing but a fanboy yourself.
Old 02-19-2014, 10:32 PM
10 Second Club

Received 412 Likes on 330 Posts

Another tip of the day. ...... It don't need as much boost to make the same or more power.
Old 02-19-2014, 10:38 PM
ASSuming On The Tree

Originally Posted by Irunelevens
The thing is, they've been doing that since the early 90s. The number of other cars sold in America that could hold the amount of power they could on the stock longblock was basically zero back then. So yes, you can argue displacement and boost numbers...but you can't argue the amount of power that engine can make/hold with no internal changes. I don't care if it takes 100lbs of boost to do it. Tip for the day (Doug); the C6 in this video can't take the same amount of boost that the Supra can without opening up the motor. If you can't at the very least respect that, then you are nothing but a fanboy yourself.
Boost numbers are technically irrelevant. All it tells you is the amount of pressure in the intake manifold.
23lbs of boost for a 2jz does not necessarily equal 23lbs for a LS3, because the volumetric efficiency of each engine is different.
Old 02-20-2014, 12:00 AM
***Repost Police***

Originally Posted by HioSSilver
Another tip of the day. ...... It don't need as much boost to make the same or more power.
Do you know what it would take to make an LS3 live long at 800rwhp+? And do you realize that the 2JZ needs literally almost NONE of that?
Originally Posted by audacious nick
Boost numbers are technically irrelevant. All it tells you is the amount of pressure in the intake manifold.
23lbs of boost for a 2jz does not necessarily equal 23lbs for a LS3, because the volumetric efficiency of each engine is different.
That was kinda my point...that it was a pointless statistic.
Old 02-20-2014, 12:08 AM
Launching!

Received 41 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by HioSSilver
No ****

Not w/o their booster motor.

Suck it
You're right, the fastest LSx has 2 turbos, fastest 2j, just one.
Old 02-20-2014, 11:21 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Do you know what it would take to make an LS3 live long at 800rwhp+? And do you realize that the 2JZ needs literally almost NONE of that?
Cam+ boost(turbocharged boost). Probably 12psi(or less)....blower probably 14-15psi.
Old 02-20-2014, 12:06 PM
10 Second Club

Received 72 Likes on 37 Posts

I do I also know of a few 2J's that have let go under 800rwhp.
Old 02-20-2014, 12:25 PM
***Repost Police***

There will always be cars that are tuned badly and blow up. People with bolt-on LS1s break 4L60s all the time. Some Cobras let go at 500rwhp, some live long lives at 650rwhp+. But that does not take away from the fact that the 2JZ-GTE is known worldwide as one of the strongest factory engines ever made. Just like the RB26DETT.
Old 02-20-2014, 12:34 PM
8 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

There will always be cars that are tuned badly and blow up. People with bolt-on LS1s break 4L60s all the time. Some Cobras let go at 500rwhp, some live long lives at 650rwhp+. But that does not take away from the fact that the 2JZ-GTE is known worldwide as one of the strongest factory engines ever made. Just like the RB26DETT.

Love the RB but I will have to disagree that it is one of the strongest factory motors ever made. They make tons of power for the displacement but are known to explode. The 2JZ however is a magnificent machine and anyone who says anything otherwise doesn't know their *** from their mouth.
Old 02-20-2014, 12:40 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by oscs

Love the RB but I will have to disagree that it is one of the strongest factory motors ever made. They make tons of power for the displacement but are known to explode. The 2JZ however is a magnificent machine and anyone who says anything otherwise doesn't know their *** from their mouth.
RB do break. They have a really bad oiling problem. The VR38 in the R35 is much better dialed in motor, but the 2JZ takes the cake for the most durable import motor.

The 2JZ-GTE is the import LS1.
Old 02-20-2014, 01:12 PM
Staging Lane

I think the red vette runs pretty good. I just got the rear in the car and Im trying to setup the coil overs. Hopefully the car will dead hook in Houston!
Old 02-20-2014, 01:55 PM
12 Second Club

so much butthurt for people that weren't even in the race lol ... we are going to run again while in Houston for tx2k, I had some fuel issues but decided to run anyway so that if the car had a big problem I would find it before driving 9 hours and being stuck with a broken car at 2K. I have the Aeromotive in tank A-1000 setup on the car and after our run had heated the fuel up so much that could not give it any thing over 1/4 throttle, what I get for running on less than half tank after our 2 hour cruise we had been on.

Car is definitely getting a RSI or Ragin twin/triple in tank setup this year.

And agreed Detoxx on the cam stuff. Wanted to add a better cam and meth and push it up to low-mid 7xx's before Houston this year, but I am holding of on the cam for a little bit, there is some new tech coming that is pretty exciting that could be a big influence on my cam selection

And I don't know how you figure **** pour setup whoever it was, (granted not the best cam) but 647/565 with 91pump gas on 8-10lbs with exhaust and ls9 cam is pretty damn good I would think
Old 02-20-2014, 02:00 PM
10 Second Club

Received 72 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by NOTAV6
so much butthurt for people that weren't even in the race lol ... we are going to run again while in Houston for tx2k, I had some fuel issues but decided to run anyway so that if the car had a big problem I would find it before driving 9 hours and being stuck with a broken car at 2K. I have the Aeromotive in tank A-1000 setup on the car and after our run had heated the fuel up so much that could not give it any thing over 1/4 throttle, what I get for running on less than half tank after our 2 hour cruise we had been on.

Car is definitely getting a RSI or Ragin twin/triple in tank setup this year.

And agreed Detoxx on the cam stuff. Wanted to add a better cam and meth and push it up to low-mid 7xx's before Houston this year, but I am holding of on the cam for a little bit, there is some new tech coming that is pretty exciting that could be a big influence on my cam selection

And I don't know how you figure **** pour setup whoever it was, (granted not the best cam) but 647/565 with 91pump gas on 8-10lbs with exhaust and ls9 cam is pretty damn good I would think
Check the Fore Innovations setup. Plenty people have issues with the aeromotive pumps.
Old 02-20-2014, 02:05 PM
12 Second Club

Yeah I know first time I experienced what I read about on Corvette forums and here about those setups since I have owned the car (7 months) so was not really expecting it. Was also the first time it had been as warm as it was so that may have been a factor in the fuel getting heated up like it did by the pump.

Clutch is ok for a while McLeod RST

Ill check out Fore Inn. as well. Car is prolly going to be pretty wild by the time 2k15 rolls around already laying plans for forged ls3, ysi and maybe a pretty nasty 6speed auto swap, that uses paddleshifters and supposedly shifts just as fast as gtr/lambos, that I saw on a business trip to some aftermarket automotive manufacturers this past week
Old 02-20-2014, 03:06 PM
8 Second Club

Yeah I know first time I experienced what I read about on Corvette forums and here about those setups since I have owned the car (7 months) so was not really expecting it. Was also the first time it had been as warm as it was so that may have been a factor in the fuel getting heated up like it did by the pump.

Clutch is ok for a while McLeod RST

Ill check out Fore Inn. as well. Car is prolly going to be pretty wild by the time 2k15 rolls around already laying plans for forged ls3, ysi and maybe a pretty nasty 6speed auto swap, that uses paddleshifters and supposedly shifts just as fast as gtr/lambos, that I saw on a business trip to some aftermarket automotive manufacturers this past week

Details on the trans when you get them
Old 02-20-2014, 03:32 PM
12 Second Club

I will do that oscs, also really digging the Datsun man, my first cars a was 78 280, and almost bought another 78 280 that had a turbo swap from a later model Zcar making 450 or so whp about 5 years ago but I got into the vettes instead

Last edited by NOTAV6; 02-20-2014 at 03:53 PM.
Old 02-20-2014, 03:44 PM
***Repost Police***

Originally Posted by oscs

Hadn't heard that about them. Learn something new every day.
Old 02-20-2014, 03:57 PM
Teching In

NOTAV6 do you have meth on your car at the moment?
Old 02-20-2014, 04:03 PM
12 Second Club

no all #'s are on 91 pump only
Old 02-20-2014, 04:15 PM
8 Second Club

I will do that oscs, also really digging the Datsun man, my first cars a was 78 280, and almost bought another 78 280 that had a turbo swap from a later model Zcar making 450 or so whp about 5 years ago but I got into the vettes instead

Thanks for the compliment. I was also torn between a vette or the Z but decided I wanted something a bit different. Its been a long and pricey battle bringing it up to date but it should be awesome when its done.

Btw im digging your numbers on pump gas.. I think people over complicate things now a days in order to chase a HP number.

Quick Reply: Single turbo Supra vs blown Vette - Mexico Racing League