Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

5.bro vs cobro...

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2014, 07:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

14.7-15.2 AFR. Bamas excuse was the sniffer in the tail pipe was wrong. And that the 100s of other cars that used the sniffer were actually just running really rich...
Old 03-28-2014, 07:18 PM
TECH Regular

Received 218 Likes on 136 Posts

I had the Barton shifter sucked for the money. But will be buying the mgw to compare. Also I can take my car past 7500 rpm with no shifting issues. Since I did the clutch line, helper spring removal. Also the Barton bracket and white line bushing helped big time.
Old 03-29-2014, 08:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by OneSlowV
I had the Barton shifter sucked for the money. But will be buying the mgw to compare. Also I can take my car past 7500 rpm with no shifting issues. Since I did the clutch line, helper spring removal. Also the Barton bracket and white line bushing helped big time.
You have to understand that all of those things you replaced dont fix the shifting issue because the shifting issue is a **** pressure plate. For what its worth... when my car was bone stock, I could shift the ***** out of it through every gear with no problems. Stock line, stock shifter, stock everything. Over time, your clutch will start acting up. Its just a matter of time. The more power you have the faster the motor will spin up, which will make the pressure plate have to work harder. Which is why the 1-2 shift will ALWAYS be the hardest on the synchros etc. Scalla was in the same boat, the second he switch to the boss intake and made a little extra hp, he could no longer pull off the 1-2 shift fast without grinding. Also as far as that whiteline bushing is concerned, i noticed nothing except added NVH. I also have a BMR k member with poly mounts. There is 0 deflection in the trans/shifter. Not sure which bracket you had on the barton but I have the 2 post bracket. Ive driven a boss with the mgw and hated it. It has the exact same throw as the stock shifter. Its just firmer. I personally like the barton throw with the stock boss shifter/no extension. Its a tough throw because you have to put a bit of steam behind it but its better in the long run. It keeps you on your game and not to mention, having added leverage that isnt necessary will lead to breaking something when missing a gear. Thats how i originally got it stuck in second gear. I had a pistol grip handle on a long throw shifter. Remote mount shifters dont like leverage. Because if you miss a gear and continue to have an unnecessary amount of pressure behind the throw, SOMETHING is going to give.

Just some advice as Ive been through the entire trans and have a damn solid setup for it. Too many people break something (not just the MT82, but cars in general) and label them as junk, rather then understand the problem and why things happen.
Old 03-29-2014, 08:57 AM
Teching In

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by evangto87

Just some advice as Ive been through the entire trans and have a damn solid setup for it. Too many people break something (not just the MT82, but cars in general) and label them as junk, rather then understand the problem and why things happen.
But, but...I thought mustangs WERE junk!?!?
Old 03-29-2014, 09:01 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Let the guy know in the cobro that its not the early 00s anymore.
Old 03-29-2014, 12:06 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by big hammer
nothing. they have the hitman effect though.
lol Hitman effect?
Old 03-29-2014, 12:09 PM
10 Second Club

Received 153 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by TastyC10
lol Hitman effect?
one time a tuned gt-r lost a race to another car. hitman claimed the tune obviously made the car slower than stock.
Old 03-29-2014, 02:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

that would be me and my buddies 403ci. The GTR we raced had mid pipes, down pipes and a Cobb tune. It pulled me by about a car length and went one for one with the 403ci. The 403 just recently went 10.6 at 130.XX. Whoever had the better hit won that race. And he claimed that it was likely slower then stock from the Cobb tune... because apparently a stock 09 GTR should run harder then 10.6 at 130.....
Old 03-29-2014, 04:13 PM
10 Second Club

that would be me and my buddies 403ci. The GTR we raced had mid pipes, down pipes and a Cobb tune. It pulled me by about a car length and went one for one with the 403ci. The 403 just recently went 10.6 at 130.XX. Whoever had the better hit won that race. And he claimed that it was likely slower then stock from the Cobb tune... because apparently a stock 09 GTR should run harder then 10.6 at 130.....
ah yes. that was good ****.
Old 03-29-2014, 06:18 PM
TECH Regular

Received 218 Likes on 136 Posts

Had the Barton it sucked. Will be trying mgw next. And do the the clutch spring helper removal and clutch line upgrade. And you can shift over 7k rpms all day
Old 03-29-2014, 11:45 PM
Teching In

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

This is LS1 tech right? Sooooo..... Stock auto Z28 would put bus lengths!!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-30-2014, 08:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by OneSlowV
Had the Barton it sucked. Will be trying mgw next. And do the the clutch spring helper removal and clutch line upgrade. And you can shift over 7k rpms all day
Take my advice please... the clutch is the problem. Try pulling a 1-2 shift with all those mods at 7500 with the stock clutch. If you have even a slightly quick shift... it will grind and not let you in. If this doesnt happen... then youre shifting extremely slow. Let me know how many times it takes you before you dont have a 1-2 synchro. All of those little things help... but its simply bandaiding the problem.

Listen to my 1-2 shift in this video. That was right at 8k rpm and was effortless. I couldnt do that at 7k rpm with the stock clutch

Old 03-30-2014, 10:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

1. Your Boss sounds good.

2. WTF is wrong with that Vortech C5?
Old 03-30-2014, 11:07 AM
Teching In

I'm with Evan. I don't understand why people think removing alittle spring at the clutch pedal is going to all of a sudden allow you to shift at 7500+ rpm. The pressure plate is weak. There's no reason why it shouldn't be able to push past alittle spring.

Twin disc clutch is the fix. Better trans fluid, dot 4 brake fluid, SS clutch line, will make the trans feel better. Not fix the pressure plate disengaging the clutch at 7500rpm. Nor will a shifter. Actually I could shift the **** out of the car at 6600rpm with the stock shifter no problem.

The Barton works good. It's a little notchy for my liking, reminds of the shitty pro 5.0's for the t3650... but you get used to it. If the MGW wasn't $400 I'd give it a try.

If your shifting over 7k rpm, twin disc or destroy synchros.
Old 03-30-2014, 12:11 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by SCalla1384
I'm with Evan. I don't understand why people think removing alittle spring at the clutch pedal is going to all of a sudden allow you to shift at 7500+ rpm. The pressure plate is weak. There's no reason why it shouldn't be able to push past alittle spring.

Twin disc clutch is the fix. Better trans fluid, dot 4 brake fluid, SS clutch line, will make the trans feel better. Not fix the pressure plate disengaging the clutch at 7500rpm. Nor will a shifter. Actually I could shift the **** out of the car at 6600rpm with the stock shifter no problem.

The Barton works good. It's a little notchy for my liking, reminds of the shitty pro 5.0's for the t3650... but you get used to it. If the MGW wasn't $400 I'd give it a try.

no ****. when I was having trouble with that boss and people were like "remove the spring dummy!!" I was like wtf?? for one the pedal isn't sticking to the floor. and 2, it's like the clutch isn't disengaging fast enough at high rpm. wtf does that spring have to do with anything?
Old 03-30-2014, 12:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by marc97taws6
1. Your Boss sounds good.

2. WTF is wrong with that Vortech C5?
Thanks. And wrong with it? Nothing. Just needs some tweaking and dialing in. It makes the power (550whp to be exact), but has a little too much gear, needs some slightly quicker shifts, and it needs a better powerband. I raced him on the roll. It ended with him a half a car ahead of me and no one pulling in fifth. Had we started in second gear instead of third... I may have even gotten the win. Tough to say. He needs to spin the car to 6500-6700rpm to really have a beefer power band. He shifts right around 6k. He also doesnt want to break it.

Originally Posted by big hammer
no ****. when I was having trouble with that boss and people were like "remove the spring dummy!!" I was like wtf?? for one the pedal isn't sticking to the floor. and 2, it's like the clutch isn't disengaging fast enough at high rpm. wtf does that spring have to do with anything?
What it comes down to is people convincing themselves that the cheap fix is the right fix...because its cheap. I cant tell you how many people ive told to put a clutch in their car as the first mod and they always say the same thing... "i dont want to put a clutch in my brand new car". Well then have fun rebuilding your trans multiple times. It didnt take Shaun long at all to lose his second gear synchro after adding the Boss intake.
Old 03-30-2014, 02:05 PM
Teching In

Lol Evan, you broke every gear before you put a clutch in it.

But no it's the truth. Cars need a better clutch. So many people chose to go with a spec or an exedy which really will not help these cars at high rpm. Twin disc or gtfo!
Old 03-30-2014, 02:15 PM
10 Second Club

But no it's the truth. Cars need a better clutch. So many people chose to go with a spec or an exedy which really will not help these cars at high rpm. Twin disc or gtfo!
that boss of my friends that I was fooling around with did the same thing. 5th was the first to go. trans got rebuilt around 1500-2000 miles.

lol listen to me try to hit 5th with it at WOT--- between 16 and 17 seconds

Old 03-30-2014, 02:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Clutch wasnt the only issue with mine.... the other small parts played their role. As far as synchros... we replaced all of them while we were in there. 5th rings were completely rounded over. 2nd rings were on there way out. None of them were perfect except 1st and 6th. So we replaced them all while i was in there. So far at 5k miles in, its perfect still. Love the way it shifts through all gears. Been lucky so far and havent missed a gear once since the rebuild. Only a matter of time I guess. I also expect to eventually in the future have to change the synchros again as its a wear item.
Old 03-30-2014, 03:06 PM
Teching In

Clutch wasnt the only issue with mine.... the other small parts played their role. As far as synchros... we replaced all of them while we were in there. 5th rings were completely rounded over. 2nd rings were on there way out. None of them were perfect except 1st and 6th. So we replaced them all while i was in there. So far at 5k miles in, its perfect still. Love the way it shifts through all gears. Been lucky so far and havent missed a gear once since the rebuild. Only a matter of time I guess. I also expect to eventually in the future have to change the synchros again as its a wear item.
For sure. That's what I was gonna do to as far as replacing the synchros, but I was lucky enough this time. Next time the trans comes out synchros are most likely going in for cryo treatment, polished gears, and some other stuff.

Quick Reply: 5.bro vs cobro...