Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Turbo GSXR750 Build Vid, & 1st race

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2014, 08:44 AM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Normally i would take this to PMs but it's cool to get both your opinions at the same time.

For what its worth I had a coil fail on this bike when it was stock, so its possible the coils are weaker than most.

If I have to do an upgrade (which its looking like I'm going to have to), what are both of your thoughts on boosting the output of the stock coils ($600) or buying a set of high output coils ($800). I'm leaning toward just dropping the $800 on coils if I cant make the current hardware work, but I know there are some serious bikes that swear by things like the NLR SIM.

I assume the Dynojet Ignition Module increases the impedance in the system and therefore delivers lower input energy to the coil?

I really don't think I should do a CDI conversion to run relatively mild boost levels...

Turbo bike problems.... :-)

Edit:

http://blackopsmoto.com/motorcycle-category/GSXR750

or

http://www.takai-racing.com/main/ignition_coils.htm

VS

http://www.nlrsystems.com/2009/catalog2010_nms1000.html

Last edited by Beans; 06-21-2014 at 11:43 AM.
Old 06-21-2014, 02:25 PM
On The Tree

Awesome build man! Can't wait to see this beast in some vids putting in work! This makes me want to build a boosted bike lol. May have to get another gixxer 1k some day and try my luck.
Old 06-21-2014, 04:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by oldgixxer

Im tuned through a PCV&Ignition Module on my stage 1 1000,Ive had zero issues the last 2.5yrs(6000miles) and I run it hard everytime Im on it.

Maybe Im just lucky? Ive honestly never heard of this issue on a GSXR.
Some have issues, some do not... Its just something easy for him to try.... I would try all of the easy/simple stuff before dumping $800 for coils...

We made 650 hp on a GT4042R turbo busa with stock coils/stock ECU....at 36 psi on C16--- Bean's coils should be plenty strong...

Some ECUs just don't like any kind of crank signal interference...

Beans:

Basically, take it back to the way it was before when it was running good with no misses, then add one component back at a time until the misfire develops, then you know what it is..

If youre worried about cooking it by running boost at stock timing, switch it back to fuel and run C16 JUST until you figure out the issue, it will give you more room for error... But honestly, if you have good control of the boost and can keep it at 5-6 psi, E85 will be plenty to support that at 12.5-1 comp and stock timing...

Don't just start buying high dollar parts and throwing them at it hoping it will solve the problem...odds are, you'll waste a ton of money..
Old 06-22-2014, 04:49 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by ajrothm
Some have issues, some do not... Its just something easy for him to try.... I would try all of the easy/simple stuff before dumping $800 for coils...

We made 650 hp on a GT4042R turbo busa with stock coils/stock ECU....at 36 psi on C16--- Bean's coils should be plenty strong...

Some ECUs just don't like any kind of crank signal interference...

Beans:

Basically, take it back to the way it was before when it was running good with no misses, then add one component back at a time until the misfire develops, then you know what it is..

If youre worried about cooking it by running boost at stock timing, switch it back to fuel and run C16 JUST until you figure out the issue, it will give you more room for error... But honestly, if you have good control of the boost and can keep it at 5-6 psi, E85 will be plenty to support that at 12.5-1 comp and stock timing...

Don't just start buying high dollar parts and throwing them at it hoping it will solve the problem...odds are, you'll waste a ton of money..
*Gotcha. All my built bikes have had the OEM Suzuki coils/ECU's as well(including my 35R Bus)and like you stated,never had an issue.

Beans,
Spot on info,I agree with AJ 110%.
There are always teething issues with turbo builds,each bike has its own share of minor issues that pop up. Its all part of the process,it'll all get worked out and in the end you will be the wiser for it.
Suzukihayabusa.org is a jackpot of turbo info,may be worth poking around there for a bit as well. There is a member who has a nasty turbo 750,he may be able to correlate to your problem
Old 06-22-2014, 07:31 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Looking real good man, can't wait to see when you get the kinks sorted out.
Old 06-22-2014, 04:45 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by ZFreie
Beans, this is ******* awesome! I'll be showing a ton of people your bike when you get some videos of it. Cant wait!
Thanks man!

Originally Posted by ajrothm
Also, try putting the timing back at stock. I'm not sure if you're using ECU Editor to flash the ECU or using a timing retard box but... The timing retard boxes are NOTORIOUS for causing misfires... Anything wired in between the crank sensor and the ECU will cause you grief.. I have found that fooling with the older ECUs with flashing can cause some issues that you will never resolve.. Particularly on the 02-07 ECUs...

Keep me posted, I'll try to help you figure out the issue.. I'd like to see you get it running right... Especially before throwing a bunch of money in parts at it.
It ended up being a lack of coil energy. I put a set of NGK iriduims in it (had coppers before which were't working at .020) gapped at .018 and it's clean as a whistle all the way to the limiter at 14K.

I'm sure as i hit it with more boost the issue will arise again. I bought a set of used coils for cheap as a little experiment to see if mine are tired. If they aren't, i lost $30, but if they are and the new set works better than i saved $800.

Originally Posted by LSxWittles
Awesome build man! Can't wait to see this beast in some vids putting in work! This makes me want to build a boosted bike lol. May have to get another gixxer 1k some day and try my luck.
Soon, very soon!

Originally Posted by Puck
Looking real good man, can't wait to see when you get the kinks sorted out.
Thanks, she's good to go now, at least at this boost level!

Last edited by Beans; 06-22-2014 at 05:25 PM.
Old 06-23-2014, 10:49 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Beans
Thanks man!

It ended up being a lack of coil energy. I put a set of NGK iriduims in it (had coppers before which were't working at .020) gapped at .018 and it's clean as a whistle all the way to the limiter at 14K.

I'm sure as i hit it with more boost the issue will arise again. I bought a set of used coils for cheap as a little experiment to see if mine are tired. If they aren't, i lost $30, but if they are and the new set works better than i saved $800.

Soon, very soon!

Thanks, she's good to go now, at least at this boost level!
Good job figuring out the issue!

I had a similar issue with my Ecoboost truck.. At 21 psi it would miss/bang out with the stock plugs. Switching over to a ford motorcraft iridium gapped at .018 it runs clean as a whistle..

I doubt you have any more issues now.. I'd like to see you make 200hp with it..

Quick Reply: Turbo GSXR750 Build Vid, & 1st race