Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Why do 5.0s run like shit

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2014, 07:34 AM
Launching!

Received 41 Likes on 22 Posts

Dodges are junk. The hell cat will probably fall apart.
Old 09-20-2014, 08:58 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Sickness7
Sir. I am not arguing for the sake of argument. I always see people in here claiming to be unbiased.
Then you see it far more than I see it here.

Though I have seen you on multiple occasions when someone points out the GEN 5 Camaro outsells the Mustang argue that it is an excuse.
An excuse for what, exactly?

For the record, you're way off base with that entire line.

But.. now that it is the Hellcat that is slightly faster it becomes no company has to answer bs. Seriously as of now you have made it back to my ignore list.
Please, QUICKLY get me back to that list! I'm not much on liars and those who have no idea what they're discussing anyway.

Ford has been offering the GT500 since 2006(07 model) and it's 2014... Chevy offers the ZL1 which it's done since 2012 and while that's only 2yrs, it will also be aged out in 2016.

So 7yrs after Ford brought out the GT500, Dodge "answers" it... I suppose in your fantasy world of stupidity and ignorance, that's a sound argument that a company DOES have to chase another ... and did... right. Talk about slow.

Originally Posted by sw07gt
Dodges are junk. The hell cat will probably fall apart.
Dodge itself has come a long way since 2005. Still, I've been swayed to other brands ever since my 2nd Dakota. It wasn't any better than the 1st and the 1st wasn't good. I would, however, expect any full size or pickup to be pretty much fine today.
Old 09-20-2014, 09:36 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by HioSSilver
gen6 is gonna freight train

good post sickness
Yes.. you are right... gen6 will freight train.... a gen3.

I actually think the gen6 and 16' Mustang will be fairly close performance wise.. both dragstrip and roadcourse. One might do a couple things better than the other and vice versa.

What I am waiting on it the "higher performance" versions of each. GT350 vs whatever offering from GM, and whatever the rumored 750+hp GT??? is vs. GMs top dog Gen6. Should be interesting.
Old 09-20-2014, 09:40 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by It'llrun
Ford has been offering the GT500 since 2006(07 model) and it's 2014... Chevy offers the ZL1 which it's done since 2012 and while that's only 2yrs, it will also be aged out in 2016.

So 7yrs after Ford brought out the GT500, Dodge "answers" it... I suppose in your fantasy world of stupidity and ignorance, that's a sound argument that a company DOES have to chase another ... and did... right. Talk about slow.
The problem with Dodge/Mopar is they answer the GT500/Zl1 etc this year... like you said, 7 years after its intro. They are wayyy behind the times, and the Mopar nuthuggers are in for some big butthurt. The Hellcat has come out when GM and Ford have already got things on the design tables to take it out.. and have had those things for years in the design process.

Mopar is a non-issue when it comes to "King" of ANYTHING.
Old 09-20-2014, 11:04 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Poppacapp

I actually think the gen6 and 16' Mustang will be fairly close performance wise.. both dragstrip and roadcourse. One might do a couple things better than the other and vice versa.

What I am waiting on it the "higher performance" versions of each. GT350 vs whatever offering from GM, and whatever the rumored 750+hp GT??? is vs. GMs top dog Gen6. Should be interesting.
I actually agree with your second statement. One will have the edge though. Can't see which one until we see if GM decided to do things right or not.
Old 09-20-2014, 12:34 PM
10 Second Club

Received 478 Likes on 375 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

You may as well go ahead and send me $20....lol

I don't think you will see much change from a all new 15 Mustang to the 16. So what your looking at is the cards that are dealt on it. Seems like you may be looking at another Mustang that gets booted by a 1LE 5gen.

The top dig cars are cool. But they are way outta the range I'm gonna spend on a car so they matter much less to me.
Originally Posted by Sickness7
I actually agree with your second statement. One will have the edge though. Can't see which one until we see if GM decided to do things right or not.
They got things pretty right with the 5gen.....just a little heavy. Overall performance of those cars is better than the 5.0.
Old 09-20-2014, 01:03 PM
Banned

Ford isn't gonna change the Mustang 1 year after they just spent billions to redesign that would be a huge business no no. So i agree that Ford better hope the new Camaro gains more weight or else the camaro will be back on top yet again
Old 09-20-2014, 03:06 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by "MAC"
Ford isn't gonna change the Mustang 1 year after they just spent billions to redesign that would be a huge business no no. So i agree that Ford better hope the new Camaro gains more weight or else the camaro will be back on top yet again
MAC... when will you learn to look before you leap?

Ford won't change the Mustang the year after a redesign... uhh.. no... no, they wouldn't do that.

Mustang introduced in 1964... Ford chose a 170ci 6cyl. and a 260ci V8.
1965... Ford changes 170 in favor of 200ci 6cyl... AND the 260 in favor of a 289 V8.

1974: Ford offers new Mustang II w/ 2.3L OHC or 2.8L V6.
1975: Ford updates to offer a V8, which actually required some re-engineering to the engine bay.

1979: Gen 3 Mustang arrives, sporting almost nothing the same car used just a few yrs later, except the body and the 2.3L base engine.
Late 1979, Ford drops the 2.8L and replaces it with the 3.3L.
Also in 1979, the 302 V8 was replaced by the 4.2L V8.

1994: 4th generation arrives with a new skin and interior. This car would largely remain unchanged(to most people) until 1996... when it got an entirely new(to Mustang) 4.6L V8.
For 1995, Ford offered a Mustang Cobra R with 351W, not offered in the 1994. For 1996, the 4.6L DOHC was also added, while all "W" engines were dropped from the lineup.

2005: 5th gen arrives with new cyl. head design, chassis, skin and interior. The model is "left alone" for 2006, then Ford made many changes with upgraded models, including the GT500 as 2007 models.

2010: Ford changes the face and tail of Mustang.
2011: Ford replaces 4.6L V8 with 5L V8... ASTOUNDING THE WORLD by making changes to their car, just 1 yr after introduction!
2012: Ford introduces BOSS 302 for the 1st time in some 40yrs(aside from Shinoda).

2015: Mustang all new... awaiting changes for 2016 model year! Btw, this isn't even CLOSE to the actual number of changes, but these are "off the top of my head" changes covering several years and new designs.
Old 09-20-2014, 03:30 PM
Banned

Ford won't change the Mustang the year after a redesign... uhh.. no... no, they wouldn't do that.

1965... Ford changes 170 in favor of 200ci 6cyl... AND the 260 in favor of a 289 V8.

1975: Ford updates to offer a V8, which actually required some re-engineering to the engine bay.

1979: Gen 3 Mustang arrives, sporting almost nothing the same car used just a few yrs later, except the body and the 2.3L base engine.

1994: 4th generation arrives with a new skin and interior. This car would largely remain unchanged(to most people) until 1996... when it got an entirely new(to Mustang) 4.6L V8.
For 1995, Ford offered a Mustang Cobra R with 351W, not offered in the 1994. For 1996, the 4.6L DOHC was also added, while all "W" engines were dropped from the lineup.

2005: 5th gen arrives with new cyl. head design, chassis, skin and interior. The model is "left alone" for 2006, then Ford made many changes with upgraded models, including the GT500 as 2007 models.

2011: Ford replaces 4.6L V8 with 5L V8... ASTOUNDING THE WORLD by making changes to their car, just 1 yr after introduction!
2012: Ford introduces BOSS 302 for the 1st time in some 40yrs(aside from Shinoda).

2015: Mustang all new... awaiting changes for 2016 model year! Btw, this isn't even CLOSE to the actual number of changes, but these are "off the top of my head" changes covering several years and new designs.
I bet all those engine changes were already planed or do to the poor sales. The cost to do R&D is in its billions and they aint gonna spend another billion or more to change things a year later. Adding new line ups is different. The only real change was from the engines and that one instance they had to change the engine bay. Those are small changes compared to totally redoing the car. They wouldn't change the engine if it wouldn't fit in the engine bay already hence the 4.6 to the 5.0.
Old 09-20-2014, 04:00 PM
TECH Regular

*sigh*

The 5.0 had been in the works for awhile. Ford didn't give the '10 Mustang a face lift and engineer an entirely new engine in less than a year just to "keep things fresh".

The auto brands definitely do not produce mostly redesigned new vehicles like they did in the past (mostly muscle car era/and the 50's) when it was easy to distinguish one year from another). It's all pretty much a cookie cutter design for 7-10 years and it has been that way for 30+ years now.

I won't look for too many changes for the next 4-5 years in the Mustang. Maybe small ones, something to bump Hp up by 5 or 10, or an interior/exterior appearance option, etc.
Old 09-20-2014, 04:53 PM
TECH Addict

I bet all those engine changes were already planed or do to the poor sales.
Have you heard of the Ford Mustang? Is this a new model to you? Ford sold something like 450,000 units the 1st production year(which was really about 1.5yrs)... poor sales? Most auto models never sell that many in 1yr. So you'll know, the Mustang broke 1 million in sales before the 1966 model year ended. It was hardly about poor sales. I know you're young, but at least put forth some effort.

The cost to do R&D is in its billions and they aint gonna spend another billion or more to change things a year later.
Those billions always include plans for quick changes over the next 1-5yrs. Any changes they make for next year are planned by now and will be in process months in advance of the MY they'll go into.

Adding new line ups is different. The only real change was from the engines and that one instance they had to change the engine bay. Those are small changes compared to totally redoing the car. They wouldn't change the engine if it wouldn't fit in the engine bay already hence the 4.6 to the 5.0.
Again... PLANNING allowed for those changes and to think they haven't prepared for more changes is simply to ignore reality.

Do you think GM brought out the ATS not thinking of which engines it will get? How about the CTS? The Camaro? ... you're not thinking it through, MAC.

NOBODY SUGGESTED that Ford would re-do the Mustang for 2016... It's ALWAYS been about what small changes they'll make to add power or otherwise make it perform better when the 2016 Camaro comes out... why you're suddenly making some point that they won't change the whole car, when you clearly knew it was power changes... the world may never know.

Here's something for you to ponder... Some say the 2016 Mustang will be available with an all new 5.2L V8. You heard it here 1st... don't be shocked later.
Originally Posted by why87
*sigh*

The 5.0 had been in the works for awhile. Ford didn't give the '10 Mustang a face lift and engineer an entirely new engine in less than a year just to "keep things fresh".

The auto brands definitely do not produce mostly redesigned new vehicles like they did in the past (mostly muscle car era/and the 50's) when it was easy to distinguish one year from another). It's all pretty much a cookie cutter design for 7-10 years and it has been that way for 30+ years now.

I won't look for too many changes for the next 4-5 years in the Mustang. Maybe small ones, something to bump Hp up by 5 or 10, or an interior/exterior appearance option, etc.
I didn't even begin to insinuate that the 5L or other changes weren't already planned... Most of them were planned and that was my point. To think Ford has no contingency plan is nuts.

MAC claims they won't be making changes... yet they make changes nearly every year anymore.
Old 09-20-2014, 07:07 PM
Banned

I know how well the Mustang sold at the beginning of it's life. Thats why i said they either made the simple change bc it was already PLANED OR DUE TO POOR SALES...
Old 09-20-2014, 07:10 PM
TECH Regular

Ok, whatever floats his boat. They are obviously not going to go through 3 different 6 and 8 cylinder engines for the base lineup in 3 model years like they would have back in the 60's.
Old 09-20-2014, 07:12 PM
***Repost Police***

I know how well the Mustang sold at the beginning of it's life. Thats why i said they either made the simple change bc it was already PLANED OR DUE TO POOR SALES...
And I'm sure something is already planned for 2016 as well. Which was his whole point.
Old 09-20-2014, 08:13 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by why87
Ok, whatever floats his boat. They are obviously not going to go through 3 different 6 and 8 cylinder engines for the base lineup in 3 model years like they would have back in the 60's.
You two have both ... somehow... entirely missed the point as if it's NOT atop your heads! J/k

Originally Posted by Irunelevens
And I'm sure something is already planned for 2016 as well. Which was his whole point.
Thank you. It's sad though, that the obvious has to be said over and over again.
Old 09-21-2014, 12:45 AM
Staging Lane

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by HioSSilver
You may as well go ahead and send me $20....lol I don't think you will see much change from a all new 15 Mustang to the 16. So what your looking at is the cards that are dealt on it. Seems like you may be looking at another Mustang that gets booted by a 1LE 5gen. The top dig cars are cool. But they are way outta the range I'm gonna spend on a car so they matter much less to me. They got things pretty right with the 5gen.....just a little heavy. Overall performance of those cars is better than the 5.0.
It's cute to see you decide what "matters" and what doesn't because you're scared your baby will get freight trained. Hopefully the new Camaro will help people forget the embarrassing 5th gen

Edit: Mac is getting roughed up baaaaad by Itllrun. Mac, for the trillionth time, stop acting sure on things that you're very uninformed about...Jesus...
Old 09-21-2014, 11:31 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by snake95
It's cute to see you decide what "matters" and what doesn't because you're scared your baby will get freight trained. Hopefully the new Camaro will help people forget the embarrassing 5th gen
I like how he said

"The top dig[dog] cars are cool. But they are way outta the range I'm gonna spend on a car so they matter much less to me. They got things pretty right with the 5gen.....just a little heavy. Overall performance of those cars is better than the 5.0."

Which is clearly trying to say the 5th gen in base form is a better performer than the Mustang GT in base form... which we all know to be incorrect, at best. The Mustang proved quicker and handled better, which is exactly why GM brought out the 1LE... and it's a badass! Simply enough, it takes a base "also ran" and makes it a true performer. The fact it only adds about $3,500 to the price isn't so bad either. If performance is your thing(and a V8 Camaro buyer usually has that on their mind), those extra 5-10 payments are worth it.

It rather easily beats the GT "Track Pack" or whatever it's called. That said, the new GT will make short work of the old as well.

I was surprised though, that the new 2015 Mustang GT cost less(with the performance package) w/ HID & LED lights and rear view camera(all 3 standard equipment), than the 1SS 1LE with the addition of matching components... way less. A quick comparison did surprise me.

Edit: Mac is getting roughed up baaaaad by Itllrun. Mac, for the trillionth time, stop acting sure on things that you're very uninformed about...Jesus...
He cane hep it... I don't know why he wants to argue with me so much either... he's got so many others to fuss with here. I must be too nice to him.

Last edited by It'llrun; 09-21-2014 at 07:03 PM. Reason: clarification
Old 09-21-2014, 05:02 PM
10 Second Club

Received 478 Likes on 375 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Originally Posted by snake95

Does your *** ache at the fact a 1le pushes around track pack 5.0's and boss's. The standard camaro will way out handle the standard 5.0 since 2012. The standard ss (fe4 suspension) is atleast on par with boss ****. 2010-11 camaro's were at least as good as 5.0's.....good enough to get compared to the boss.
I like how he said

"The top dig[dog] cars are cool. But they are way outta the range I'm gonna spend on a car so they matter much less to me. They got things pretty right with the 5gen.....just a little heavy. Overall performance of those cars is better than the 5.0."

Which is clearly trying to say the 5th gen in base form is a better performer than the Mustang GT in base form... which we all know to be incorrect, at best. The Mustang proved quicker and handled better, which is exactly why GM brought out the 1LE... and it's a badass! Simply enough, it takes a base "also ran" and makes it a true performer. The fact it only adds about $3,500 to the price isn't so bad either. If performance is your thing(and a V8 Camaro buyer usually has that on their mind), those extra 5-10 payments are worth it.

It rather easily beats the GT "Track Pack" or whatever it's called. That said, the new GT will make short work of the old as well.

I was surprised though, that the new 2015 Mustang GT cost less, with the performance package and HID and LED lights and rear view camera(all standard), than the 1SS 1LE with the addition of matching components... way less. A quick comparison did surprise me.

He cane hep it... I don't know why he wants to argue with me so much either... he's got so many others to fuss with here. I must be too nice to him.
LOL at this fool.....clearly try to be unbiased
Old 09-21-2014, 06:44 PM
11 Second Club

The problem with Dodge/Mopar is they answer the GT500/Zl1 etc this year... like you said, 7 years after its intro. They are wayyy behind the times, and the Mopar nuthuggers are in for some big butthurt. The Hellcat has come out when GM and Ford have already got things on the design tables to take it out.. and have had those things for years in the design process.

Mopar is a non-issue when it comes to "King" of ANYTHING.
Yup... .

Not a Mopar fan and just never have been. And the Hellcat hasn't changed that.

But it will be a blast runnin' 'em down, in every sense of the phrase.
Old 09-21-2014, 06:49 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by OVA1
Yup... .

Not a Mopar fan and just never have been. And the Hellcat hasn't changed that.

But it will be a blast runnin' 'em down, in every sense of the phrase.
Personally I would jump ship if they made the challenger lighter and look the same. Or a coupe charger comparable to 34-3500lbs. Hell with the weights of everyone else getting up near 4000 their srt models might start mopping the floor with the power advantage.

Quick Reply: Why do 5.0s run like shit