Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

F355 and zo6

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2004, 12:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A Z06 running 12.9s = bad driver. That is usually due to a learning curve. I suspect this is his first time at the track considering they are good for 12.5s down to 12.1s with a good driver, and we had a person on the board run a 11.8 with just slicks and the zip tie mod.
Also a Z06 will pull around 1.04 lateral Gs! Name all of the exotics that can do that. It also has a great power to weight ratio with 405 hp and a 3100 lb curb weight. The only Porsche with a better power to weight ratio is a G2 which costs around $185,000! So don't ever think Chevrolet designed the Z06 to go fast in a straight line only.
It is a track car first and drag race car second. You only have to be familiar with the suspension to know that. It has dual wish bone front and rear and IRS. That is the same setup Formula 1 cars use as far as suspension type goes.
Anyway, the days of Porsches, etc. being the top dogs at the roadracing tracks are over.
Old 06-13-2004, 12:59 AM
z98
TECH Fanatic

If we're on a race track I'm bringing an F1 car.

Now what?

Street cars aren't race cars.

Why would I bother proving what a STREET CAR can do on a race track?

Street cars are for the street, race cars are for the track.
Old 06-13-2004, 01:33 AM
NKAWTG...N

the diablo had over a 1g skid pad, i dont recal any tests for ferrari's but im magazine racing at this point. so take that fact as you will. and i know the diablo gt has an even better track suspension, it was hitting 203.xx when it was wet out, supposed to be good for even more in a R&T top car shoot out.
Old 06-13-2004, 06:32 AM
11 Second Club

69Vette03, The zo6 was bone stock even the tires, he got it down to a 12.7 @ 112 2.1 sixties that nite. He traded in his pro charge Lt4 for this zo6. Track prep sucks here. his more into scca, he brought it to the track just that one time to see what it could do, w/ better tires he probly could go low 12's.
Old 06-13-2004, 08:11 AM
TECH Junkie

Skidpad doesnt mean everything when it comes to handling. There is much more, such as the amount of body roll, stiffness of the suspension, weight distribution, weight, aerodynamics, etc...

However, I guess I overestimated the Z06 slightly... though stock for stock, I wouldnt really think that the Z06 could outhandle too many pricey exotics... I mean, Im sure it could keep up to some extent, but I think there is a reason that exotics are so expensive. One is for the name and whatnot, and two is for all the expensive, high quality parts they use, compared to a lot of the off the shelf kind of parts that the Z06 has, which keeps the price down(not saying this is necessarily a bad thing). But, I could be wrong, and I am not too familiar with the stock suspension of the Z06 or anything...
Old 06-13-2004, 09:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by MillaTK
Skidpad doesnt mean everything when it comes to handling. There is much more, such as the amount of body roll, stiffness of the suspension, weight distribution, weight, aerodynamics, etc...

However, I guess I overestimated the Z06 slightly... though stock for stock, I wouldnt really think that the Z06 could outhandle too many pricey exotics... I mean, Im sure it could keep up to some extent, but I think there is a reason that exotics are so expensive. One is for the name and whatnot, and two is for all the expensive, high quality parts they use, compared to a lot of the off the shelf kind of parts that the Z06 has, which keeps the price down(not saying this is necessarily a bad thing). But, I could be wrong, and I am not too familiar with the stock suspension of the Z06 or anything...

Dollar per dollar the Z06 is the most hot rod for the money. Sub 8 minute laps at the ring equate to very good handling and damn good suspension...please point out to me the "off the shelf parts" on the Z06...I think you might have a hard time finding any parts from other GM autos in the Z06...I am sure that your 6 digit exotics have some high quality parts and they do some unbeleiveable numbers...but u can buy a 04 Z06 right now for $43K and that is a hell of a lot a bad a$$ automoble for that kind of $$$..runs 178MPH top end, sub 4 second 0 to 60, 12.2 @115 for the quarter mile, and here is the kicker it gets 28-29 miles per gallon on the highway...this car can be a daily commuter..it was built for the high performance corvette enthusiest...guys that wanna go auto crossing, club racing, and take it to the drag strip...all in all a pretty good all around hot rod

PS The corvettes finished first and second in the GTS class at the 24 hours of Le Mans today... won in the GTS class for the 3rd time in the last 4 years..had an off year last year finshed 2nd and 3rd...have won the American Le Mans series for the last 3 years..won the first 2 races this year on their way to the 4th chanpionship in a row..!!!
Old 06-13-2004, 11:04 PM
TECH Junkie

Well, the Z06 is definitely the best bang for the buck out there, I will definitely not disagree with you there. I used to hate that, being a porsche freak, but then I came here, and learned a lot and stuff, and I just absolutely love the Z06(I guess it didnt seem that way in my posts). I just didnt think it handled as well as some of the exotics out there... Im sure its not the BEST(though is obviously a very good contender). I love performance over luxury, and I think thats what you get with the vette. The interior and whatnot, at least from what I hear is not the best quality, and some other stuff too. The engine also uses a bunch of parts that are used in say the LS1 engine, correct? Thats is where I was getting the "off the shelf" parts kind of thing. Stuff that isnt pricey because it is somewhat mass produced.
Old 06-14-2004, 07:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by z98
If we're on a race track I'm bringing an F1 car.

Now what?

Street cars aren't race cars.

Why would I bother proving what a STREET CAR can do on a race track?

Street cars are for the street, race cars are for the track.
Don't take your car to the drag strip then because it's just a street car, not a funny car. There is also auto-X that has stock classes, but hey, don't take your street car..LOL!
Old 06-14-2004, 08:11 AM
TECH Senior Member

Well, the Z06 is definitely the best bang for the buck out there, I will definitely not disagree with you there. I used to hate that, being a porsche freak, but then I came here, and learned a lot and stuff, and I just absolutely love the Z06(I guess it didnt seem that way in my posts). I just didnt think it handled as well as some of the exotics out there... Im sure its not the BEST(though is obviously a very good contender). I love performance over luxury, and I think thats what you get with the vette. The interior and whatnot, at least from what I hear is not the best quality, and some other stuff too. The engine also uses a bunch of parts that are used in say the LS1 engine, correct? Thats is where I was getting the "off the shelf" parts kind of thing. Stuff that isnt pricey because it is somewhat mass produced.

Yes u are rite there r some parts in the LS6 that r in the LS1..most of the LS6 is made up of LS1 parts...that should tell u just how great a motor the LS1 is... I used 2 work at a Porsche store...nice cars but way over priced...sounds like u need 2 go for a ride in a Z06 b 4 u make any more assumptions and opinions
Old 06-14-2004, 10:55 AM
STF Veteran

For the price of a Lamborghini Murcielago you could have an EXTREMELY wicked Z06 that WILL out handle and out run the Lamborghini, 355, and GT2. I like the Z06 very much and I will own one one day. I believe it is the best bang for the buck out there. It has world class performance with a $50,000 price tag.
Old 06-14-2004, 05:49 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by slt200mph
Yes u are rite there r some parts in the LS6 that r in the LS1..most of the LS6 is made up of LS1 parts...that should tell u just how great a motor the LS1 is... I used 2 work at a Porsche store...nice cars but way over priced...sounds like u need 2 go for a ride in a Z06 b 4 u make any more assumptions and opinions
yes, definitely WAY overpriced, like all the exotics out there, pretty much...

I wish I just knew somebody with a Z06...
Old 06-16-2004, 10:08 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by TomQ
guys,

why do you think only about dumb *** straight line performance?
Probably because they were on a drag strip?
Old 06-16-2004, 10:40 AM
TECH Senior Member

Chris, TomQ put a lot of thinking into his statement, dont hassle him too much...

By the way, the reason why the ls1/6 are great motors is simply because of the heads these things have from the factory. They are designed so well that simple mods like a cam, nitrous and bolt ons open up a ton of power!

Gray
Old 06-16-2004, 12:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

[QUOTE=MillaTK]Well, the Z06 is definitely the best bang for the buck out there, I will definitely not disagree with you there. I used to hate that, being a porsche freak, but then I came here, and learned a lot and stuff, and I just absolutely love the Z06(I guess it didnt seem that way in my posts). I just didnt think it handled as well as some of the exotics out there... Im sure its not the BEST(though is obviously a very good contender). [QUOTE]

MillaTK, FYI here is an excerpt from an article on the Z06:

If there ever was a Chevy with value; it's the Corvette Z06. The "bang" is performance and those cars are 3100-lb. bunker buster bombs, right through the doors at foreign car companies, particularly the Germans, which once ruled the hard-core fringe of the high-sports segment. Deafened by the blast, their marketing types are left crying, "Die Amerikaner...sie treten unsere Zugpferde mit dieser Z06 und das zu einem Preis mit dem wir nicht mithalten können!" Rough translation: The Americans are kicking our *** with this 'Z06' and doing it at a price we can't match.

Its charter is simple: extreme performance presented in a civilized manner at reasonable cost. Three years after its 2001 introduction, this car is a benchmark by which sports cars for aggressive drivers are judged. On race tracks and autocross courses all over America, it spanks cars carrying prestigious foreign nameplates and costing upwards of half-again its price.

Don't believe me?

Famed road racer and GM Performance Division Chief Engineer, John Heinricy, has driven a Z06 to three-straight SCCA T1 Class National Championships, besting Vipers, Porsches and whatever else the persistent but still loosing side wants to throw at America's Sports Car.

Last edited by 69Vette03; 06-16-2004 at 12:59 PM.
Old 06-16-2004, 02:53 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by BigBronco
Chris, TomQ put a lot of thinking into his statement, dont hassle him too much...

By the way, the reason why the ls1/6 are great motors is simply because of the heads these things have from the factory. They are designed so well that simple mods like a cam, nitrous and bolt ons open up a ton of power!

Gray
Agreed. Bronco, I really like that motor you guys did in tha camaro. I was having wet dreams listening too it...
Old 06-16-2004, 03:54 PM
STF Veteran

Originally Posted by 69Vette03
Well, the Z06 is definitely the best bang for the buck out there, I will definitely not disagree with you there. I used to hate that, being a porsche freak, but then I came here, and learned a lot and stuff, and I just absolutely love the Z06(I guess it didnt seem that way in my posts). I just didnt think it handled as well as some of the exotics out there... Im sure its not the BEST(though is obviously a very good contender).

If there ever was a Chevy with value; it's the Corvette Z06. The "bang" is performance and those cars are 3100-lb. bunker buster bombs, right through the doors at foreign car companies, particularly the Germans, which once ruled the hard-core fringe of the high-sports segment. Deafened by the blast, their marketing types are left crying, "Die Amerikaner...sie treten unsere Zugpferde mit dieser Z06 und das zu einem Preis mit dem wir nicht mithalten können!" Rough translation: The Americans are kicking our *** with this 'Z06' and doing it at a price we can't match.

Its charter is simple: extreme performance presented in a civilized manner at reasonable cost. Three years after its 2001 introduction, this car is a benchmark by which sports cars for aggressive drivers are judged. On race tracks and autocross courses all over America, it spanks cars carrying prestigious foreign nameplates and costing upwards of half-again its price.

Don't believe me?

Famed road racer and GM Performance Division Chief Engineer, John Heinricy, has driven a Z06 to three-straight SCCA T1 Class National Championships, besting Vipers, Porsches and whatever else the persistent but still loosing side wants to throw at America's Sports Car.
Makes me proud to be an American driving a Chevrolet!
Old 06-17-2004, 08:09 AM
TECH Senior Member

[QUOTE=69Vette03][QUOTE=MillaTK]Well, the Z06 is definitely the best bang for the buck out there, I will definitely not disagree with you there. I used to hate that, being a porsche freak, but then I came here, and learned a lot and stuff, and I just absolutely love the Z06(I guess it didnt seem that way in my posts). I just didnt think it handled as well as some of the exotics out there... Im sure its not the BEST(though is obviously a very good contender).

Don't believe me?

Well said 69... ...lots of people do not know just how great a car the Z06 is. I have customers call me up all the time a week or 2 after their purchase and tell me they can't beleive "how much" car they bought.
Old 06-17-2004, 01:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by slt200mph
Well said 69... ...lots of people do not know just how great a car the Z06 is. I have customers call me up all the time a week or 2 after their purchase and tell me they can't beleive "how much" car they bought.
I agree, people don't realize that this car can go from the show room floor to a race track and be a real contender! Nor do they understand it is set up for that and not drag racing, although it is capable of some impressive quarter mile times. And even so, people just haven't realized that it can and does outperform a lot of the exotics like Ferrari, Porsche, Lambroghini, etc. on road race courses and tracks. On most tracks, having less horsepower is not as much of a disadvantage as having more weight, which the other cars do. How many v-8 cars weigh 3100 lbs or less? One of the biggest contributors to cornering speed is weight, due to the physics of changing the direction of an object in motion. So if you have a great chassis and suspension to go with the light weight, you have a real contender on any road race course. And 405 hp is nothing to sneeze at.
Old 06-18-2004, 02:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by stoleit
he got a 355 to run 12.9's? thats really really good. 355's really any faster than our cars stock to stock. its just got that ferrari mystique already going for it so everyone thinks its god like. its only got like 320 bhp or something. but great kill, and i see that guy allan with the lambo and ferrari on beyondthequarter.com all the time. seems like a decent extremely rich guy. i want his cars

The F355 Ferrari's have 375 hp. But stock for stock they are not very different from our cars. The sound however...That is another story. Nothing sounds like that sexy Italian V8.
Old 06-19-2004, 09:12 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by SSMOKE-U
The F355 Ferrari's have 375 hp. But stock for stock they are not very different from our cars. The sound however...That is another story. Nothing sounds like that sexy Italian V8.

The F355 sounds like a chainsaw on steriods....Z06's or C5R's sounds like their gonna eat ur *** up ...