Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Ls1 vs 3v and coyote

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2016, 01:11 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well 100 bucks still isn't bad, a few dollars to prevent a huge problem is okay in my book.
Old 01-28-2016, 01:20 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by trez28
Thanks guys, all the suggestions and help is greatly appreciated...I've been doing a ton of research to figure out what I'd need to get to my goal but having people who has been there and done it is priceless, also 85$ for a trans cooler and that's awesome will definitely pick one up , 200-400 for headers Is also great. Quick question though y or X pipe? And came size?
I'd recommend the TSP 228R cam, or the Torquer V2 cam. Those are medium sized cams with plenty of power. And I think Y pipes sound better IMO.

I also run this additive called lubeguard in my stalled transmission. It will keep your fluid 20-30 degrees cooler. I've tested it out and it's legit.
Old 01-28-2016, 01:25 PM
On The Tree

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

If you have the $$ do a true dual X pipe system. They're usually kinda pricey though. But if you do a Y pipe you can make good power thru one of those too
Old 01-28-2016, 01:25 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by WhipLashLsx
I'd recommend the TSP 228R cam, or the Torquer V2 cam. Those are medium sized cams with plenty of power. And I think Y pipes sound better IMO.

I also run this stuff called lubeguard in my stalled transmission. It will keep your fluid 20-30 degrees cooler. I've tested it out and it's legit.
OK I've heard of both those cams I'll do a bit more research to choose between them...is there lube guard sold in stores?
Old 01-28-2016, 01:27 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Nick.H
If you have the $$ do a true dual X pipe system. They're usually kinda pricey though. But if you do a Y pipe you can make good power thru one of those too
I thought true duals would make a bit more power, I guess it boils down to cost/performance ratio. Lol
Old 01-28-2016, 01:29 PM
On The Tree

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

I thought true duals would make a bit more power, I guess it boils down to cost/performance ratio. Lol
Yeah true duals flow pretty well. But a free flowing ORY pipe will yield good power as well for usually a much cheaper cost
Old 01-28-2016, 01:30 PM
Teching In

And I can probably search this but how hard is it really to change a cam, I've never done it but I'm good with my hands my cars usually never go to a shop for repairs.
Old 01-28-2016, 01:30 PM
Banned

OK I've heard of both those cams I'll do a bit more research to choose between them...is there lube guard sold in stores?
I got my Lubeguard at CarQuest. They have it at Napa too. If you can't find it at a parts store, you should be able to get some online somewhere.

And you'll probably want to replace your stock lifters with new stock ones, when the cam goes in.
Old 01-28-2016, 01:32 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by WhipLashLsx
I got my Lubeguard at CarQuest. They have it at Napa too. If you can't find it at a parts store, you should be able to get some online somewhere.

And you'll probably want to replace your stock lifters with new stock ones, when the cam goes in.
Yeah definitely, my car has 146000 miles on her although she runs just as strong as new.
Old 01-28-2016, 01:33 PM
Teching In

Ok, I'm sure Napa has it they're right around the corner.
Old 01-28-2016, 01:34 PM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks guys, all the suggestions and help is greatly appreciated...I've been doing a ton of research to figure out what I'd need to get to my goal but having people who has been there and done it is priceless, also 85$ for a trans cooler and that's awesome will definitely pick one up , 200-400 for headers Is also great. Quick questiodn though y or X pipe? And came size?
Do a LOT of research. It requires more than you think. Removal of the heads (to change lifters)

New valve springs

New push Rods

Have to do the timing chain while your there

Search a lot man
Old 01-28-2016, 01:35 PM
TECH Resident

Stock lifters and push Rods are pretty risky to not change.

And valve springs are required
Old 01-28-2016, 01:40 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Mappinsj
Do a LOT of research. It requires more than you think. Removal of the heads (to change lifters)

New valve springs

New push Rods

Search a lot man
True, I forgot about the pushrods. You really should just get aftermarket heads too, since the stockers have to come off anyway lol.
Old 01-28-2016, 01:44 PM
Teching In

New valve springs

New push Rods

Search a lot man
LOL I'm sitting here thinking about it now.....might as well get heads although I'd have to wait a while....if I didn't have to pull the heads off I'd be confident in doing it myself, but if they're coming off Im probably sending her to a shop
Old 01-28-2016, 01:46 PM
TECH Resident

It takes thought and planning. Money is a given.

I stuck with bolt one because I have two camaro that both suck money. So neither is getting built.
Old 01-28-2016, 01:50 PM
Teching In

It takes thought and planning. Money is a given.

I stuck with bolt one because I have two camaro that both suck money. So neither is getting built.
I definitely understand.....even if the heads do have to come off I'll probably still only do a cam heads are expensive and so is shop time, lol besides full bolt on f-bodies are plenty quick and with a cam I'm sure I'd be satisfied.
Old 01-28-2016, 01:55 PM
TECH Resident

Absolutely. Texas speed has a head porting service for 750$ thst includes the 660 lift springs. I think it's worth it considering the springs are 200$ alone

Just something to consider
Old 01-28-2016, 02:59 PM
Teching In

Absolutely. Texas speed has a head porting service for 750$ thst includes the 660 lift springs. I think it's worth it considering the springs are 200$ alone

Just something to consider
I've been reading and watching videos, I'm actually pretty positive I can do it myself
Old 01-28-2016, 03:28 PM
Staging Lane

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick.H
I went with a y-pipe, soon switched to an x pipe. got the local shop to do a set up for me cost about $500. plus $85 for the xpipe and a few hundred for nice mufflers. its all in how much you wanna spend and how you want it to sound. performance wise the difference is small between the two.
Old 01-28-2016, 04:39 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jake all up in here trying to spend this new guy's money.

Quick Reply: Ls1 vs 3v and coyote