Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Poppa(S550 Mustang) vs 6gen SS at track

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2016, 09:49 PM
10 Second Club

Received 412 Likes on 330 Posts

Originally Posted by Poppacapp
Nah.. thats what they run on average stock... It would be a good race between us if the SS had tune/tire.
How so? You went like just over .1 faster on your best run of the day vs a stock car. A tire only would give him the w. Especially if he went with a shorter tire like you.

Not knocking you. Just the way it is.
Originally Posted by Mappinsj
Dammnnnnnnnnn, he ran 8.0 with a 1.92 and you ran a 7.8 with a 1.82

same 60' and that's a dead nuts even race
Actually that would likely give the camaro the w.
Originally Posted by big hammer
Nice runs looks like she'd be a dead heat with both cars on a tire
Be closer than it is....and it's apparently closer than they want. A a8 on a tire would outrun poppa by these results
Thanks. They do run good.

You failed to notice the 2mph trap difference between us. My lead would have just grown through the 1/4 I have also run 7.6 in the 1/8th..

Its possible... would have to actually do the run. I am putting more power down to the wheels and trap about 2mph more. Looks like based on that his is a 115mph car in the 1/4. Not bad at all stock though.
Hhhmmmm.....you're not looking at his gear splits. He shifts to 3rd at 80mph which is likely hurting his 1/8 mph since 3rd runs out to 110. My bet would be if you woulda been on a qtr track today the mph woulda been closer at the end of the qtr than the end of the 1/8.
Old 05-15-2016, 10:12 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Don't get old.... stay forever young with moostang
I will be sure to get the requisite gold chain to go with the Vette.

But I would for sure not get a M7, too many gears
I just like the modern autos now man. With the manual modes and paddle shifters you can have just as much fun in the twisties as a manual car imo.

Originally Posted by Deeohgie69
Nice job Poppa!

How do you think you'd do against an stock a8 on a tire now that you've ran one?
This manual car ran good. at a 1/4 mile track I would put him at 12.2-12.3 which is what the faster manual cars are averaging. He drove it well. Second run where he spun a little, he said he was nervous.

Originally Posted by oChristiano
Stock A8 with a tire would give him a helluva run. And I'd be willing to bet that M6 car would give him fits from a roll.
I for sure would not lay bus lengths on him from a roll, but my 2mph advantage would show for sure. I would estimate a couple car lengths 40-140. He ran good. Much props to GM for those cars.

Originally Posted by HioCrew Guru
Equal mods and the 6gen drops a big steamy chocolate hotdog all over the Coyote.
Love you too Jakeypoo!!!!!!!

Originally Posted by MACHXLR8
Good run Poppa! Car is running strong.

I have to say I am impressed with the Camaro driver pulling a 1.92 60ft with a stick car on street tires. I needed a 555r to get a 60ft like that. Camaro owner was no newbie.
I was surprised too at how well it got off the line. I really wish we could have got another run in. After our second run, I was going to let the car sit for a little bit, and he was going to run one more time hotlap, then him and his gf had to leave. So no time to get a third run in. He was good people tho... we just bullshitted about both cars.. good times.

You Won one and he won one.. Looks like a drivers race to me
Okey Dokey Hammah!

Originally Posted by HioSSilver
How so? You went like just over .1 faster on your best run of the day vs a stock car. A tire only would give him the w. Especially if he went with a shorter tire like you.

Be closer than it is....and it's apparently closer than they want. A a8 on a tire would outrun poppa by these results

Hhhmmmm.....you're not looking at his gear splits. He shifts to 3rd at 80mph which is likely hurting his 1/8 mph since 3rd runs out to 110. My bet would be if you woulda been on a qtr track today the mph woulda been closer at the end of the qtr than the end of the 1/8.
My best of the day was 7.80 on my first run of the day before he got there. His best was 8.08. That is .28 difference... almost 3 tenths mang. A tire would have got him another tenth, tenth and half on the 60ft. Definitely would have been closer, but I would have still got the W. Honestly, if one or the other sucked at the tree, the other would get the W.

As far as mph goes, with the conditions today, I would think he would run 115 range in the 1/4. I have run 116+ in the same conditions. Still would have the edge mph wise. But not taking anything away from the car.. I am modded, he is stock. The 5.0s stock have ground to make up right now to keep up with the 6gen SS. No secret there.

I honestly think his car is a strong running example of the manual 6gens... and he could definitely drive... drivermod was there.

I hope to be able to run an A8 car soon... because possibly in the next couple of weeks, a stall will be going in the car. Thos 7.6-7.8s are going to turn into 7.1-7.3s without any other changes.
Old 05-15-2016, 10:17 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Holy bench racing!
Old 05-15-2016, 10:18 PM
10 Second Club

Nothing bench about it. Looking at the data and drawing the conclusion.

I wouldn't look for that stall to pick you up .5 in the 1/8......qtr maybe. Which would still be terrific.
Old 05-15-2016, 10:22 PM
11 Second Club

I wouldn't look for that stall to pick you up .5 in the 1/8......qtr maybe. Which would still be terrific.
Buddy of mine went 7.2s with his 15 GT. He had long tubes, but was on 93 tune. Was running 7.7-7.8 before it. I guess it may or may not pick it up.. we will see. I prefer running 1/4... but that damned 2hr drive.... and now they run 5pm-11pm instead of 11am-dark like they were.
Old 05-15-2016, 10:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 55 Likes on 40 Posts

Like I predicted.

A drag pack stock auto SS good run for you. He's gonna get another 35rwhp from e85...and I think you would lose for sure.

Nice runs.
Old 05-15-2016, 10:34 PM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Buddy of mine went 7.2s with his 15 GT. He had long tubes, but was on 93 tune. Was running 7.7-7.8 before it. I guess it may or may not pick it up.. we will see. I prefer running 1/4... but that damned 2hr drive.... and now they run 5pm-11pm instead of 11am-dark like they were.
Soon we shall both be making the long drive!
Old 05-15-2016, 10:40 PM
11 Second Club

Soon we shall both be making the long drive!
Yup. Caravans and fitty roll races on the way ftmfw!!!
Old 05-15-2016, 10:43 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by UltraZLS1
Like I predicted.

A drag pack stock auto SS good run for you. He's gonna get another 35rwhp from e85...and I think you would lose for sure.

Nice runs.
On good runs, yeah. No secret that drag radial A8 went 11.7 hero run.. and buddy of MMs in Florida is running 11.8s tune/tire. Would be some very close races.. which is what I like. After my stall though, a manual SS would need some more bolt ons, and an A8 would need a stall too. Either way, makes for some fun racing.
Old 05-15-2016, 10:49 PM
11 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Nice runs man. I like the 6 gen power and interior but I still hate the look of them :/
Old 05-15-2016, 10:58 PM
10 Second Club

The problem i see here poppa is you keep comparing your times to a stock sexgen. A sexgen with similar thought out mods as you will put you needing a converter to keep up. Think about it.

-100 lb with some of it alot of it rotating like you

Catback....hp ?

E85....seems to be about 30hp

Drag pak with a dr

They don't seem to need much for suspension but lowering it a little could help mph a little.

6gen stands to pick up .5 with just those mods. And that's probably conservative.
Old 05-15-2016, 11:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 55 Likes on 40 Posts

On good runs, yeah. No secret that drag radial A8 went 11.7 hero run.. and buddy of MMs in Florida is running 11.8s tune/tire. Would be some very close races.. which is what I like. After my stall though, a manual SS would need some more bolt ons, and an A8 would need a stall too. Either way, makes for some fun racing.
Wherever you are at is producing good times. He would have ran right up near the top of the list for a manual car.

So in turn a drag pack a8 would run high 11s all day in this same area and same night. Right in line with you.
E85 and tune would go right near the ~.5 stock gap imo. Other than the 35rwhp increase you got removed TM and quicker firmer shifts. Suspension mods and cat back may help a touch as well. At most with bolt ons I can see the 5.0 closing the gap a tenth or two.

I just don't see how they will run equal with equal mods. Not on the same track same day with equal launch. You had trouble with a stock tire manual bro.

Not sure if you've been looking lately but the 6gen doesn't need negative DA to hit 11's. One has done it in low positive DA. We have also had a few lately come very close in +1-2000DA. The latest was a guy who just ran 12.2@115 in 91 degree heat and a 1.9 60 ft. Bone stock. He would get the 11 second slip with just a better launch.

Last edited by UltraZLS1; 05-15-2016 at 11:08 PM.
Old 05-16-2016, 06:44 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Deeohgie69
Nice job Poppa!

How do you think you'd do against an stock a8 on a tire now that you've ran one?
This manual car ran good. at a 1/4 mile track I would put him at 12.2-12.3 which is what the faster manual cars are averaging. He drove it well. Second run where he spun a little, he said he was nervous.
A8's are known to run better, so I was just wondering how you think you'd do against one on a tire. I wasn't trying to be an *** in any form, just an honest question. So if this guys car ran on the faster end of the manual cars, and your car runs on the faster end of the coyote's, what do you think yours would do against an A8 stock 6th gen on a tire that runs on the faster side of them?
Old 05-16-2016, 06:55 AM
In-Zane Moderator

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

The auto cars are hitting 7.8s at 91ish from what I have seen with no traction issues stock. The manual trans is MPH pretty hard on the big end over the auto of course.
Old 05-16-2016, 07:23 AM
10 Second Club

Received 152 Likes on 104 Posts

It the end good runs man
Old 05-16-2016, 07:44 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 88 Likes on 62 Posts

It the end good runs man
Agreed. I think these results of a six speed 6th gen Camaro and poppas S550 makes both look good.

Last edited by CamOnlyJabroni; 05-16-2016 at 07:50 AM.
Old 05-16-2016, 09:08 AM
On The Tree

This thread has all the bench racers!

Good track runs, Poppa!
Old 05-16-2016, 09:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Jay z28
Bench racing the only way the said 6G in question could win.
Old 05-16-2016, 09:22 AM
10 Second Club

Poppa drivers race with stock 6gen. Good run poppa. It seems you may have covinced yourself they are that good
Old 05-16-2016, 09:28 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Jay z28

Good track runs, Poppa!
I'll have you know that I'm an awesome bench racer!!!

I get it, but I honestly do at least run 50-75+ times a season at the track and street race too... So does that make me a certified bench racer, or just another srk idiot? Got it, srk idiot lol

Quick Reply: Poppa(S550 Mustang) vs 6gen SS at track