Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Cobra Kai Doing Work

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2017, 09:44 AM
10 Second Club

Received 413 Likes on 331 Posts

Originally Posted by Lawhead
Quick, name this line of engine by their issues

Lifter issues, Oil pressure issues, Eating oil issue, Piston slap, Valve dropping

A lot of clues here so should be an easy one...
Only one i have had us piston slap in my ls1. But that's not a big deal. Only there on really cold start ups. Most lifter issues seems to be sludgy oil related or people using double springs.

Quick name the group of engines that struggle to get to 350 whp na and eats it's self at anything over 450.
Old 02-07-2017, 10:17 AM
On The Tree

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by HioSSilver
When mine was notches it blew up at 468whp. 4 blew up around here that year.

It's not a perfect engine by far. Head ticks are common and if you don't have the cooling mod you can forget about 7 or 8 living. Oil pumps have also been known to come apart in them.

When i press the gas on one i don't get the feeling of this is a badass motor. But more of a wife screaming in my ear about something she don't want to do. That's what blower whine reminds me of.
Please sell your notch to someone who might like it.
Old 02-07-2017, 10:34 AM
TECH Resident

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Blown383LS1
Wouldn't sell (or would be very hard to find the right person IMO), he wants too much for it. Regardless of how nice it is, its not a rare/special model that fetches the high dollar.
Old 02-07-2017, 11:16 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Lawhead
Quick, name this line of engine by their issues

Lifter issues, Oil pressure issues, Eating oil issue, Piston slap, Valve dropping

A lot of clues here so should be an easy one...

How about
Blowing pluggs out
Snapping plugs off
Cam phaser issue
Clattering like a diesel issues
Oil pressure issues
Lifter bucket issues
Coils failing
Cracked manifolds

Under sized piston issues
Etc etc
There is problems with all motors
Old 02-07-2017, 12:30 PM
On The Tree

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by R6cowboy
Wouldn't sell (or would be very hard to find the right person IMO), he wants too much for it. Regardless of how nice it is, its not a rare/special model that fetches the high dollar.
When I asked he told me $25k.
Old 02-07-2017, 12:42 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Blown383LS1
I would like to.
I'm not asking to much. Don't talk up the furd stuff then say it's not worth anything. That doesn't make sense. They all have their issues but as you can tell the furd crew will cover up their ****. I only exposed it after they acted high and mighty.
Originally Posted by 408-99-f
How about
Blowing pluggs out
Snapping plugs off
Cam phaser issue
Clattering like a diesel issues
Oil pressure issues
Lifter bucket issues
Coils failing
Cracked manifolds

Under sized piston issues
Etc etc
There is problems with all motors
Lol....good pick up man. I was about to add to the list of furd problems. We had lots if problems with furd coils on our race cars. But they were under extreme conditions.

And lets not even get into the furd diesel debacle.

I will say the newer era furd stuff seems to be much better. Although there was some ecoboost issues it seems they are stepping in the right direction. Definitely not the days of weak 99 cobras.
Originally Posted by Nick.H
When I asked he told me $25k.
Yup.....not unreasonable for that caliber of car. 25k seems as a good place to start.

They usually go for near that. Anything under 20k is not nearly as nice of a car as mine. I don't think I've sen a termi swapped fox with air conditioning on it yet either.....except mine.

Hell finding a fox with out the tq boxes busted up in and the lower rad support not caved in is about a 8-10k car if it's stock.

Last edited by HioSSilver; 02-07-2017 at 12:48 PM.
Old 02-07-2017, 01:02 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 78 Likes on 57 Posts

That many in a local area, I suspect your local tuner was ******* things up.

Only one i have had us piston slap in my ls1. But that's not a big deal. Only there on really cold start ups. Most lifter issues seems to be sludgy oil related or people using double springs.

Quick name the group of engines that struggle to get to 350 whp na and eats it's self at anything over 450.
Every single LSx motor I've ever owned had piston slap. Hell, I have an 02 Z28 with 121K on it, and an 03 Silverado 5.3L with 208K on it, both have piston slap. I agree that it's not a big deal, but it's extremely common.
Old 02-07-2017, 01:12 PM
Teching In

lol I kidd I kidd great kills guys, cobra can compete forsure. You still have a cobra heater?

Yeah, goal was to run a 10 second time slip with it and then stop racing it and put my Fox Body race car back together. After it ran the 10, I daily drove it for another year and then made it Garage Queen status.
Old 02-07-2017, 01:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

Mine piston slaps when cold. So does Fordgirlgonebad T/a.

I can't believe what Fox bodies go for. I don't have a bent radiator support but I am swapping to a light weight one.
Old 02-07-2017, 03:54 PM
TECH Resident

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

I'm not asking to much. Don't talk up the furd stuff then say it's not worth anything. That doesn't make sense. They all have their issues but as you can tell the furd crew will cover up their ****. I only exposed it after they acted high and mighty.
I don't "talk up" the ford stuff, I give ford credit where its due, the exact same I do with GM, etc. Unlike many, I don't favor one over the other. And no where did I say it's not worth anything, I said the price tag is high. You're the one not making sense for saying that. For example, a LS3 C6 just as clean/nice could be had for the same price. Like I said, it would take the right person, which is a very thin herd.

Yup.....not unreasonable for that caliber of car. 25k seems as a good place to start.
If that's a starting point, that's more understanding. I had originally thought you wouldn't take a penny less.

Last edited by R6cowboy; 02-07-2017 at 04:00 PM.
Old 02-07-2017, 05:06 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's not a perfect engine by far. Head ticks are common and if you don't have the cooling mod you can forget about 7 or 8 living. Oil pumps have also been known to come apart in them.

When i press the gas on one i don't get the feeling of this is a badass motor. But more of a wife screaming in my ear about something she don't want to do. That's what blower whine reminds me of.
​​​​​​​Sounds like you like to go slow to me.
Old 02-07-2017, 07:41 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by JC316

Every single LSx motor I've ever owned had piston slap. Hell, I have an 02 Z28 with 121K on it, and an 03 Silverado 5.3L with 208K on it, both have piston slap. I agree that it's not a big deal, but it's extremely common.
I have owned 8 LS powered vehicles, 2 had slap, 1 was minor, the other is noisy, only if it sits for longer than a few days it goes away when it builds the slightest amount of heat. Strange I know, I have heard of it being common but I just haven't experienced it being as common as they say. Possible I just have had good luck too.
Old 02-07-2017, 07:48 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Tyler Lee Lee
Yeah, goal was to run a 10 second time slip with it and then stop racing it and put my Fox Body race car back together. After it ran the 10, I daily drove it for another year and then made it Garage Queen status.
They are nice cars, can't go wrong just hanging on to it for down the road build.
I got my new setup torn apart too. I work on so much crap I just don't have alot of time to get it done right now. Last weekend I was supposed to work on it. But after working on stuff for 60-70 hours last week I had no interest in it, and just hung out with my kids instead.
Old 02-07-2017, 10:27 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 78 Likes on 57 Posts

I have owned 8 LS powered vehicles, 2 had slap, 1 was minor, the other is noisy, only if it sits for longer than a few days it goes away when it builds the slightest amount of heat. Strange I know, I have heard of it being common but I just haven't experienced it being as common as they say. Possible I just have had good luck too.
I've also had 8. Three LS1's, three 5.3L's, one LQ4, and one LS2. I've seen countless more at auctions and yeah nearly all of them have that cold tick. Either you have good luck, or I have shitty luck.
Old 02-08-2017, 06:08 AM
Teching In

They are nice cars, can't go wrong just hanging on to it for down the road build.
I got my new setup torn apart too. I work on so much crap I just don't have alot of time to get it done right now. Last weekend I was supposed to work on it. But after working on stuff for 60-70 hours last week I had no interest in it, and just hung out with my kids instead.

I'm just keeping it as a Sunday driver, since I wanted one so bad; when they came out.

My next build will more than likely be a 4 eye Fox with a Coyote swap or a 60's Mustang with a hot SBF.

I've been racing real hard the past few years, so I'm sitting out this year to have some much needed repairs and updates done on my house. LoL, as much as I love racing, I probably should have just bought a single wide trailer in the cut with a big shop and made racing life, instead of building a house in a neighborhood with a 2 car garage.
Old 02-08-2017, 08:57 AM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Someone say real world experience with terminators? Back when my **** made a Beasley 490hp. Against my buddies 03' which at the time was the highest hp stock blower car. I don't remember exact numbers but it was like 550ish. Ran 7.teens @101. It was no slouch by any means. But it still got drug by a subpar engine combo

Last edited by blk00ss; 02-08-2017 at 09:08 AM.
Old 02-08-2017, 11:43 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by blk00ss
Someone say real world experience with terminators? Back when my **** made a Beasley 490hp. Against my buddies 03' which at the time was the highest hp stock blower car. I don't remember exact numbers but it was like 550ish. Ran 7.teens @101. It was no slouch by any means. But it still got drug by a subpar engine combo

Was that a IRS or a SRA Cobra?
Old 02-08-2017, 11:57 AM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

it was an IRS car.
Old 02-08-2017, 11:58 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by JC316

Just about all had different tuners. They are very finicky. They are not as tough or robust as a ls motor.
Originally Posted by Mike Morris
Mine piston slaps when cold. So does Fordgirlgonebad T/a.

I can't believe what Fox bodies go for. I don't have a bent radiator support but I am swapping to a light weight one.
Yours is very very minor.
I don't "talk up" the ford stuff, I give ford credit where its due, the exact same I do with GM, etc. Unlike many, I don't favor one over the other. And no where did I say it's not worth anything, I said the price tag is high. You're the one not making sense for saying that. For example, a LS3 C6 just as clean/nice could be had for the same price. Like I said, it would take the right person, which is a very thin herd.

If that's a starting point, that's more understanding. I had originally thought you wouldn't take a penny less.
A c6 is not a custom car dude. Silly to even compare the 2. No it's not a car for everyone....most aren't. It's a car with a blower swap could no doubt run bottom 10s and is till as nice as a fox body can be.
Originally Posted by NateLS1Mustang
​​​​​​​Sounds like you like to go slow to me.
Sounds like you're dumb .
Of all the ls vehicles i have been around only 3 had piston slap. Mm car is very minor, the nbm camaro i flipped had it and was very minor. My ls1 was the worst i heard and even it went away quickly once running. The 178k pewter ss i flipped didn't even have a hint of it.
Old 02-08-2017, 11:59 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by blk00ss
it was an IRS car.

And he had a passenger and you didn't?

So, his car made 60 more rwhp, but your car was around 350 pounds lighter?

Quick Reply: Cobra Kai Doing Work